“excellent support offered to an 'injured' party”

Perth, United Kingdom
“excellent support offered to an 'injured' party”
Reviewed December 8, 2013

I have recently returned from a holiday at this hotel and can only praise them for their help and assistance after I fell and broke my arm.The nurse at the clinic was terrific at referring me to hospital for surgery where I received quick and reassuring help.
A member of staff visited me in hospital with a fruit bowl and once discharged from the hospital I was visited by a member of staff daily to check that I was ok and reminded that I could use room service if I didn't want to go to the dining room (I didn't do this as I was fit enough to go to the dining room), or just to ask for anything I needed.
I would like to point out one particular member of the waiting staff, namely 'Pamela'. She stood out from the first day of our arrival and remained so for the entire two weeks. She is friendly, efficient and seems genuinely pleased to help you have a great time in her country.
The male waiters were somewhat different in that you could see them trying to 'pick' their tables by those that would most likely 'tip' better. Many have the knack of looking busy but actually doing very little,(a bit like waiters in my own country) leaving most of the hard work to the waitresses who are all superb. If management read this,, I would appreciate it if they would confirm that they have passed on my compliments to 'Pamela'
Another plus for me was the reception I received on arrival. We were greeted at the hotel entrance, luggage taken from us, led into the reception area where we were comfortably seated with a complimentary drink and given info re the hotel etc.
After travelling for more than 24hours, we felt that we were in caring hands who understood the need for us to be 'looked after' until we caught up with some sleep etc.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank jan m
LMilemaurice, The Management at Le Meridien Ile Maurice, responded to this review, December 19, 2013
Dear Jam M,

Thank you for taking the time to record your personal experience from your recent stay at the Le Meridien Ile Maurice.

Judging from your comments, it gave us great pleasure to conclude that your stay was an enjoyable experience. We were delighted to read that our staff members met and exceeded your expectations especially Pamela who looked after you so well. We thank you for your kind words and we will be very happy to convey your gratitude to them.

We hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back soon at the Le Meridien Ile Maurice.

Le Meridien Ile Maurice

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (724)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 8, 2013

Wow! What a fantastic experience. A gem.This Hotel had everything. We spent 5 nights and as always it went too quick. All the staff are very helpful and they work so hard.The gardens are spectacular.The pools are very clean. Food is amazing. Large spacious room overlooking the sea, luxury in every way. Lots to see and do. Highly recommendable. La Faya had the most amazing food with The Shells coming close. The buffet had a large choice of dishes. The entertainment was spectacular. We were all inclusive and it was well worth it by far as we made the mistake of having a cocktail on the beach before time and paid £15 each for them so beware. All the wines were very good quality.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Kathy M
Dear LynnA,

Judging from your comments, it gave us great pleasure to conclude that your stay was an enjoyable experience. We were delighted to read that our staff members met and exceeded your expectations. We thank you for your kind words and we will be very happy to convey your gratitude to them.

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 8, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 17 days and had the most amazing time. The staff at this hotel surpassed themselves. We stayed at the Nivarna wing which was very quite and relaxing. Sam in reception was such a lovely person and ferried us to the main reception at the drop of a hat he was very helpful. The La Fayer restaurant served the most fantastic food for breakfast, lunch and dinner. We tried the buffet and shells for only one meal but preferred the service and food at la Fayer as it was far superior. Nitish worked tirelessly to make sure everything was perfect whenever he was there and especially when we had our anniversary dinner on the beach, something we will never forget. He was our favourite member of staff. He made our holiday very special. Other staff members that made our stay wonderful we're Raja, Vinesh, Vickaram, Ashley, from the bar, Mefoosagh, Kaviraj, Santy, Yoven, Dill and Sheila from the restaurant, and Videsh and Mevind the Chefs who made foods fit for the gods. Amazing. We made a special effort to tell them how we enjoyed all the food and service before we left and they all appreciated very much. Job we'll done by all. Big gold star all around.

Room Tip: We had a garden room in the Nivarna wing, as we spent most of our time at the pool or on the beach a...
2 Thank Lynn A
Dear LynnA,

Judging from your comments, it gave us great pleasure to conclude that your stay was an enjoyable experience. We were delighted to read that our staff members met and exceeded your expectations especially the Chefs and the associates at the Bar and at La Faya. We thank you for your kind words and we will be very happy to convey your gratitude to them.

Reviewed December 7, 2013

We travelled to Mauritius for our honeymoon and expected to just use the hotel as a base while travelling around the island. Instead, we ended up staying there for almost the entire holiday because it was such an amazing and relaxing resort.

The first thing I have to say is that the staff are genuinely excellent in everything they do. They are friendly, attentive and yet not overbearing. They were always at hand for whatever we needed and very quick to help with everything. There was never any pressure about tipping (we preferred to give larger tips at the end of our stay rather than tipping small amounts throughout the stay - to avoid the need to carry cash). Needless to say, we left very large tips at the end - we really got to know particular staff members that always recognised us and greeted us with a smile.

The hotel itself is fantastic. We were half-board so we paid for the lunch but the breakfast and dinners were provided. The La Faya restaurant was so amazing we didn't want to eat anywhere else. But we were also blown over by the quality of the indian buffet (I can't remember its name). La Faya has a different menu each night and every dish is like a work of art. I ate things I always thought I'd hate but the chef makes everything look and taste fantastic.

Spending days on the beach were very pleasant. There are people selling pearls, shells and trinkets on the beach but they are licensed by the hotel. While they will approach you, all you have to say is "No thank you" and they will leave you alone. But they are very friendly and funny if you do talk to them.

The hotel has free water-sports which are amazing. Kayaking is a lot of fun. The snorkelling trips take you to a fantastic and deep location. It's worth it because the beach itself never gets deep so it's nice to get out into the proper ocean (i.e. beyond the reef). We also played tennis and table-tennis which we loved but it can be windy so wasn't ideal. For an extra payment you can do skuba diving, parasailing, swimming with dolphins and other activites (but the free activities are plentiful). We swam with dolphins and had an unforgetable experience of getting up close to a trio of wild botte-nose dolphins who were lounging off the coast.One even had a baby with her! You can also do a catamaran cruise which is a lot of fun also - but a long day. Very romantic though. I would recommend bringing kids as they would get bored easily and quickly.

Our room was gorgeous and our room attendant was fantastic. She cleaned the room twice a day and left us towel origami!! It was always a lovely peaceful night's sleep.

We were very sad to leave in the end. We were there for 12 nights and were really very sad to leave. It was just an amazing experience. One we have already decided to relive. It is a bit pricey (for us any way) so we will be saving for a few years first but when you are there you don't mind because it feels like it's worth the money.

One thing I would like to say is that it is worth getting out of the hotel and seeing the local area - and try to go to local shops to buy whatever you need. We didn't do this enough and felt bad because staying in the hotel means you don't see what it's really like for the people there. Times are tough for them and some areas we passed through were genuinely deprived and run down. An injection of money from tourists would be hugely beneficial to them.

In terms of the holiday as a honeymoon the hotel is a great location. The hotel left a bottle pf presecco in our room along with flowers on our arrival and also offer an option to pay for a honeymoon package (about £100). I would highly recommend it! You get a private candle-lit meal served on the beach (either from La Faya or the sea-food restaurant whose name I can't remember). It's an amazing experience and the chef prepares a special menu for you. You also get fruit, more prosecco and flowers in your room, a t-shirt and wrap and a couple's massage. My wife was sunburnt and couldn't so the massage so they allowed me to have an individual double-time massage. It was amazing.

In terms of my rating, I happily give this 5 stars. For the indivual ratings, I said 4/5 for value because it is pricey. Still worth it but you will end up spending more than you intend. Guaranteed. The location is only 3/5 because the actual beach isn't great. Where the hotel is location is inside a coral reef and it's unfortunately the strip that all of the hotels use for water-sports. This is great for spectating but all of the speedboats churn up the broken bits of coral. This has made the beach very sharp and when in the water use rock shoes! You can buy them everywhere. The hotel is also quite far away from any built up area and driving there is quite scary so it's not easy to get anywhere. But taxis are always outside waiting to take residents wherever they like.

And I have rated the breakfast as poor (2/5). This was my least favourite part of the stay. It's chaotic. It's a buffet which I don't mind and there is a large selection. However, the meat selection is poor. The sausage and bacon are overcooked and extremely chewy. The flies in the area are very persistent and everywhere and even the birds are everywhere (but quite cute). The entire hotel lobby and buffet restauarant are open air which is amazing but does allow all of the local wildlife to enter. Also, getting tea and coffee is extremely frustrating. You can't self serve the hot drinks so they come around. But the buffet is huge with hundreds of people and sometimes there was only one person serving the hot drinks. On several occasions we had two helpings of food before we got any drinks. Once we didn't get any and gave up. Very annoying,

To be balanced, I'll say that the problems we had with our stay were:
1. The beach isn't very nice.
2. The breakfast isn't great.
3. The flies are everywhere with no apparent attempt by the hotel to control them in the areas where food is served. Very unpleasant.
4. The hotel offers free water skiing but only do this if you know how. I hadn't done it before and was told they would give instructions. The instructions lasted for at most 10 seconds before I was in the water. I tried about 10 times to get to a standing position and failed with mouthfuls of water in front a line of people waiting to go after me. It was embarassing because they make no attempt to separate the beginners from the experienced skiers.

Even making concessions for the faults we found, we still fell head-over-heels in love with this hotel. We were extremely grateful to them for making our honeymoon as amazing as it was and we most definitely will be returning!

Room Tip: Get a sea view room. The alternative (mountain view) isn't nearly as nice as the mountains are v...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LogicalCrane
Dear Logicalcrane,

Thank you for choosing our resort for your recent holiday and for taking the time to share yourl comments and experience feedback.

We do take all comments seriously and appreciate all the feedback we can get. As a management team, we share these comments with our staff so we may resolve any and all issues. Once again, thank you for your observations regarding breakfast, the beach, insects and water sports, which will help us in our ongoing efforts to improve our service.

We hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to Le Meridien Ile Maurice on many future occasions.

Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed December 6, 2013

It was an awesome trip to the beautiful island major credit goes to the Le Meridian resort. From Day 1 they make you feel very comfortable, and are willing to support you to the fullest extent. They had upgraded us to a room in the Nirvana section, then on our request another couple who was accompanying us were also given a room upgrade. Nirvana section is a seperate section where kids are not allowed .

Rooms: They are very spacious and with good interiors, would say meeting the standards of a 5 star hotel. The view from the balcony is a sight to soar eyes. Specifically if its a sea side facing room the view is picturesque. I have attached a photo, have a look.

Service: Staff is very freindly and helpful, they had prepared food with special demands for one of us who was a jain, and had various restrictions on food. Also they were very cordial. The service was a bit slow, bit we were in no hurry on a vacation.

Resort: It is so HUGE that it takes almost 15 mins to reach the reception from the rooms with attractive walk-ways and gardens. They offer various water sports free of cost eg. kayaking, pedal boat,glass bottom boats,water skii etc.. There are two pools one in the main wing other a relatively small one in the Nirwana section both are beautiful. The spa was average, they also have free entry to Hydrotherapy room (Jacuzzi, Sauna/Steam) which was good. There is also a gym which we never bothered to enter ;)

Food: Food was good, no major complaints. Pls note you will not get good Indian food in any hotel/restaurants in Mauritius. Le Meridien was still better than others. But, as on vacation we prefered to have different cusines, apart from our daily routine, and it was good. They have 4 restaurants which you can select from to dine in, in a few advance booking might be mandatory. Breakfast was ok, had a good spread, as you would expect in a 5 star hotel.

Area of development: one of the area of development would be timely allotment of rooms on day of arrival. A person comes tired and then they have a policy to allot room by 3 pm which is a very long time to wait. It should be improved to 1pm. Check-out time is anyways 12 noon.
Probably, some work around on Indian food would delight most of the customers, although we enjoyed the other cusines.

All in all it was a pleaure to stay in this Resort. Thanks to the Le Meridien Staff for making our trip memorable

Room Tip: If you are a couple without kids request for a room in the Nirvana section Ocean facing
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank bhaveshdevgan
Dear Bhaveshdevagan,

Thank you for choosing our resort for your recent holiday and for taking the time to share such wonderful comments and experience feedback.

Your gracious comments have been passed to our personnel, which will serve as an added inspiration to consistently maintain the high standards you have experienced, and which are one of the trademarks of our brand.

We trust you had a pleasant and safe journey home and we shall look forward to welcoming you back to Le Meridien Ile Maurice or to any of our other resorts worldwide.

UK
Reviewed December 4, 2013

We stayed here for 13 nights. I must admit I was a little disappointed with the room on arrival (Even though we were in the Nirvana Part). We did speak to the manager & was moved to another room on the 1st floor. It was a little better, but the rooms are dated and could do with updating.
The staff are very helpful especially Ashley, Vickram, Vinesh, Vik around the bar. Nitish, Santy and Kaviraj in La Faya, not forgetting Namratha our room attendant.
The Nirvana end with the adult only swimming pool is very nice & relaxing and there are plenty of sun beds even when the hotel is full.
La Faya the resturant we used the most located at the Nirvana end is very good.
The bar service around the pool was excellent. Overall we enjoyed our stay here.
We didn't use the spa as the prices were very expensive (normal to hotels).
The beach is rocky & shoes are needed as there are a lot of urchins. If you travel 15 mins north, the beaches are a lot better. We hired a scooter from the hotel (Approx £16)per day. This is a great way to see a bit more.
Can recommend the Scuba Doo trip (an underwater bike - didn't get my hair wet), this is half way between snorkling & scuba diving.

Room Tip: Nirvana wing - Facing Ocean.
Dear TracyMurten,

Thank you for taking time off in writing this review. We were delighted to hear that you had a wonderful stay with us at Le Meridien Ile Maurice.

Your positive comments and kind words are very much appreciated and we assure you we have communicated these to those staff and departments concerned especially the staff at the bar and at La Faya without forgetting Namratha, the Room Attendant. Customer care service is amongst our highest priorities and it is always gratifying to receive such positive feedback and know that the team has looked after you so well.

In closing, it is our hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to Le Meridien Ile Maurice on many future occasions.

Winterthur, Switzerland
Reviewed December 4, 2013

We have just spent a fortnight in the peaceful Nirvana Wing (sea view room) of the Le Méridien Hotel and absolutely enjoyed it! It's a highly recommendable place with friendly, helpful staff (with almost horrendous working hours - something to improve on by the management). The food in the by us preferred La Faya restauran was fantastic. A quiet beach and nice pool area helped us to successfully recharge our batteries. Careful, wear sandals or snorkeling shoes when you go into the sea, it's partly rocky and there are many sea urchins.

Diving was not great, as the reef has suffered some serious damage a few years ago.

Definitely a place to go back and enjoy further!

Room Tip: Nirvana Wing Sea View on the top floor.
2 Thank Andreas H
Dear AndreasH,

Thank you for taking time off in writing this review. We were delighted to hear that you and your family had a wonderful stay with us at Le Meridien Ile Maurice.

Your positive comments and kind words are very much appreciated and we assure you we have communicated these to those staff and departments concerned. Customer care service is amongst our highest priorities and it is always gratifying to receive such positive feedback and know that the team has looked after you so well.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Pointe Aux Piments
Hilton Mauritius Resort & Spa
Hilton Mauritius Resort & Spa
#6 of 18 in Flic En Flac
Victoria Beachcomber Resort & Spa
Victoria Beachcomber Resort & Sp...
#2 of 8 in Pointe Aux Piments
The Oberoi, Mauritius
The Oberoi, Mauritius
#1 of 8 in Pointe Aux Piments
Zilwa Attitude
Zilwa Attitude
#1 of 3 in Calodyne

Been to Le Meridien Ile Maurice? Share your experiences!