“Fabulous Resort”

The Oberoi, Mauritius
Reviewed March 13, 2014

We have just returned from our 3rd stay within a year at this wonderful resort, What makes this stands out is not just the beautiful accommodation and surroundings but all the wonderful staff who without exception make this an absolutely delightful place to stay. Nothing is a problem and everything is tailored to individual needs. Even the Head Chef asked us if we had any special requirements to just let him know. The staff are the most friendly and attentive that I have ever met and I have stayed in a lot of 5 star resorts.
Raj met us at the AirPort and transported us to the Hotel in a quick and efficient manner in a very nice BMW. We have come to know him a little now and he has a very warm and friendly manner. He also took us on an excursion during our stay and he is very knowledgeable, he made the whole experience very interesting and enjoyable. Again it is all about tailoring to individual needs.
On our arrival we were met by Natacha and Amanda and after welcoming drinks were shown to our glorious Royal Villa, wonderful views and great accommodation.
It was my birthday during our stay and all the staff knew and extended their good wishes throughout the day, this was then concluded by an exceptional Dinner on the beach. A truelly memorable experience that my husband will find hard to follow, unless I spend all my birthdays here which is not such a bad idea!!
The food is also delicious with a choice of Restaurants providing a good range of choices. The waiters are very quick to remember your likes and dislikes and are always very helpful and ready to cater to your every need.
A visit to the Spa is an absolute must, even my husband availed himself of their treatments and was not disappointed.
We were made to feel like part of the Oberoi family which made us feel very much at home but in much better surroundings.
Marc Denton, the General Manager, has a lot to be proud of here and to be honest needs to change nothing as this place is an absolute Jewel in the Crown.

Room Tip: Royal Villa 412 has the best views
2  Thank SUE R
Oberoi_Mauritius, General Manager at The Oberoi, Mauritius, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2014

Dear Mrs. Sue R,

We had equally great pleasure pleasure in welcoming you and Mr. R back at The Oberoi, Mauritius for a third time in the span of a year. We are naturally delighted that we have lived up to your expectations once again.

Thank you for recognising Chef Erik, Raj, Natacha and Amanda. They were very pleased to see their names in your review.

Mrs. Sue R, we do look forward to the privilege of welcoming you back to The Oberoi, Mauritius on your next visit to Mauritius. Mr. R will again be cross with me, as I still have no intentions of closing the gym despite that he keeps asking me to do so. It is there for a good reason!

With my best personal regards,

Marc Denton

Write a ReviewReviews (1,552)

Reviewed March 11, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here for our honeymoon in July 2013. The whole stay was faultless, from the amazing reception with a virgin mojito when we arrived through to staff and manager seeing us off as we left. The bungalow with private pool was beautiful, as we're the grounds and beach and the food was delicious. But the service was beyond perfect... we've never been so well looked after, with such pleasance and humour. Simply perfect.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 10, 2014

One of the most extended resorts and still only 75 rooms. Very well located at the North-west coast and therefore hardly any rain. A little bit outdated, but everything is very clean, impeccable service and good facilities. The rooms are big with a nice view, balcony and big bathroom with a big shower. Breakfast is superbe with a buffet and also a la carte, all included. The beach is rather small, but there are two nice swimming pools. Snorkelling can be done, but not much too see. The Spa is expensive, but ok. The restaurants are good, especially the one at the pool. Superb grill! Further I would advise to have dinner at the neighbours, the Maritime Hotel. They have a restaurant called Chateau Mon Desire. Very good. Even better was The Pescatore, about 12 minutes drive. Visit for sure Port Louis and forget Grand Bay. Very touristic and bad restaurants.

2  Thank Alex46_11
Reviewed March 9, 2014

The Oberoi Mauritius is absolutely deserving of the #1 spot on Trip Advisor.
From the moment we arrived at the airport to the moment of departure, the service and staff were warm, friendly and efficient. Rooms are clean, light, airy and spacious. The bathrooms are lovely and large with excellent water pressure. Despite walking along the beachfront of multiple other properties, we never saw anything which came close to comparison. It would be hard to over-emphasize how lovely and friendly each member of staff was-this makes such a difference to the guests’ experience. Pool and beachside service was terrific, particularly the regular delivery of ice cold water. Complementary water is also replenished in the rooms twice each day. Nespresso coffee machines and real/fresh milk in the mini-bar adds a nice touch to in-room convenience. Sunset-watching from the main bar while sampling some local rums is highly recommended. “On the Rocks” provides a tasty assortment of salads and wraps for lunch (try the Spiced Beer Cooler for something unusual) and fresh grilled-to-order fish for dinner. The main restaurant offers an interesting assortment of European fare, along with some delicious Mauritian, Indian and Creole dishes. Of the various “extra” activities on offer, I highly recommend the Tuesday night star-gazing. A passionate, knowledgeable astronomer provides an interesting commentary of the current night’s sky including observation through a high-tech telescope. We saw the Southern Cross (didn’t need the telescope for that!) as well as Jupiter and Mars. A couple of bonus shooting stars added to the experience. We are not ones to re-visit places-there’s a big wonderful world to explore-but our exceptional experience here may make us re-consider and return to Mauritius in a few years. If so, I promise you it will only be at the Oberoi. Maybe a villa with private pool next time…

Room Tip: We had a room in the 5-series...sea view lovely
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank MGads
Reviewed March 4, 2014

Fabulous hotel. Exotic.
Enjoyed my stay to the core.
One of the best hotels i have visited. I would definitely recommend this hotel and i look to stay there again. I stayed for 1 week and found it a very mesmerising.The food was exceptional.The staff - all of them are polite,friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
3  Thank Stone108
Reviewed March 2, 2014

In short, if you are looking for a place to relax and feel like royalty, the Oberoi is the place to go.
The service we received was top notch from start (before we even arrived from the concierge) to finish (even after we left going out of the way to ensure we had all we needed). To note some of the more exceptional things - my husband’s luggage didn’t arrive with our flight, the hotel provided clothes, a new pair of shoes and every toiletry he could possibly need. Also, when our agent had miscommunicated the transfer pick-up time to leave they went out of their way working with the transfer provider and our next destination to ensure we would not be charged because of the miscommunication. Another benefit we appreciated was individual tipping was discouraged, and in place they provide the option to do a team and/or individual tips for exceptional service at the end of your stay.

As for the resort, the location is good, about a 10 min taxi to Gran Baie. But what we liked most is that although its not a small resort everything is so private. When you are there you feel like there couldn’t be more than 20 other villas total because the resort and staff are so geared to making privacy very important. The beach was OK, very picturesque but rockier than in some parts of the island, but the view is great - looking across a small bay to mountains. The spa was outstanding with high quality facility and services, including the fitness center. We had such a great experience we plan to make it back to an Oberoi very soon!

3  Thank tonyholland00
Reviewed February 27, 2014

So where to begin ... well, strangely for a review of The Oberoi, I'll start with The Intercontinental ! .. I am a platinum member of this great hotel chain and they really look after their guests! But the Intercon Mauritius has really mixed reviews. However, based on brand loyalty, I booked a week stay in a large deluxe suite with terrace and ocean view.

Then I tried to email about "early check in", "platinum status" and "half board" options. Three different emails .. same response ... zip, zero, de nada!

So sitting in the airport terminal en route from the US to the UK and on to Mauritius, I'm feeling very neglected by the Intercon, and I already knew that the Oberoi always has THE best reviews! On a whim at the airport I cancelled the Intercon and booked the Oberoi at an extra cost of about $1,750 for the week (not a small whim, but a significant extra sum in my mind).

So finally to The Oberoi! What a great decision! Aided immensely by an upgrade to a beach thatched cottage with private pool and garden, but REALLY not just that! The staff at this resort are superb! Immediately and constantly attentive, whilst never intrusive. Firstly, within 15 minutes of my online booking, still sitting at the airport in London I get a phone call from the Oberoi in Mauritius to confirm and thank me for the booking and ask if I needed a courtesy limo transfer from the airport on arrival. I declined as we rented a car (recommended for the location, but the hotel can coordinate personal tours if you prefer.) I did ask if it would be possible to get an early check in as our flight would arrive at 6AM the next day.

Fourteen hours later we arrived early at the Oberoi to be greeted personally by name as soon as we pulled in to the entrance. A valet took the car keys and said they would take care of the luggage, meanwhile my fiancée and I were ushered to a beautiful patio overlooking the gardens, a waterfall and pool and the Indian Ocean. We were served a refreshing cocktail and given cold towels whilst I signed one form for the registration. Then we were escorted to our garden pavilion with (did I mention the double upgrade?) walled garden, thatched covered dining area, sun loungers and private pool. Added to the pleasure was a bottle of champagne on ice with a selection of breakfast pastries courtesy of the hotel as it was breakfast time locally. The room / suite was large and stunning. A king bed with vaulted ceilings, a comfortable seating area for 4, a walk in closet with plenty of storage and a huge bathroom with floor to ceiling window walls a good size shower and a sunken bath. The photos online at the hotel web site are stunning, but also very accurate. The communal areas of the resort (gardens, beaches, restaurants and pools) are all immaculate and picturesque. The resort has a tranquil feel, there were always quiet places with available seats / sun loungers etc .. none of the "towels saving loungers" brigade. There seemed to be very few children when we stayed and the guests were mainly couples or adult groups. There is plenty of space and constantly attentive staff, most of whom addressed us by name after the first day. The service at this resort is truly stupendous. The staff is available, friendly and non-obtrusive.

The hotel gave us a local mobile phone pre-programmed with useful numbers for our excursions around the island and they were happy to print google maps and directions to each of the places we wanted to visit. The resort offers a selection of complementary water sports: glass bottom boat tour, snorkelling, water-skiing, sailing, kayaking. They offer SCUBA diving and island trips for an additional fee. Anything you'd like to do, the concierge/reception staff are happy to coordinate and are professional and easy to work with. For instance, they coordinated a photographer experienced with the resort layout to come take photos for our engagement. On our last evening they gave us more champagne with dinner ... lot's of nice little "added touches" throughout our stay.

If you can afford to stretch your budget, then book this hotel! You will not regret it!

6  Thank UK-Colorado
Oberoi_Mauritius, General Manager at The Oberoi, Mauritius, responded to this reviewResponded March 10, 2014

Dear Mr. UK Colorado,

Thank you ! ...for having chosen to spend your holidays at The Oberoi, Mauritius in February on a very last minute decision. And thank you for your wonderful review you posted on Trip Advisor.

We are most pleased to read that you have thoroughly enjoyed your stay and that the service provided as well as the hotel facilities and its layout have exceeded your expectations.

Dear Mr. UK Colorado, we wish to congratulate you once again for your engagement and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you for your honeymoon at The Oberoi, Mauritius !

With my best personal regards,

LUX* Grand Gaube
LUX* Grand Gaube
#1 of 7 in Grand Gaube
Royal Palm Beachcomber Luxury

Been to The Oberoi, Mauritius? Share your experiences!