“As good as it gets!”

The Oberoi, Mauritius
Reviewed August 10, 2013

We have recently completed a 14 day holiday at the Oberoi. This was to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary and, given that its a special occasion, we wanted to choose a special hotel. And if you want special, somewhere to give you memories that last you a lifetime, then the Oberoi is the best choice you can make.
From the minute we arrived right until departure we were treated to impeccable service, excellent food and all of this in a stunning setting.
The rooms are great. A good size and always kept spotlessly clean. The food is outstanding. The breakfasts are varied and the food in the main restaurant is world class. We had our anniversary night dinner on the jetty. The staff laid candles out across the length of the pier and we had a fabulous evening. They also provided us with a glass of champagne, amazing flowers and a lovely anniversary cake. It is a pricey thing to do, but for a special occasion it's well worth it.
We also has a fabulous special Creole dinner in the Gunpowder room which was very special.
My wife used the spa several times and loved the treatments and pampering.
There are 2 beaches, one of which is for adults only and the service there is great. Ice cold water is provided along with occasional fruit kebabs and cocktails.
However by far the best thing about the Oberoi is the staff. We have stayed at many hotels, including other Oberoi ones and this is by far the best. The staff there know your names within minutes of your arrival. They quickly learn your food and drink preferences and cater for them. They have an uncanny knack of understanding your likes and dislikes and making sure everything is perfect. So thanks to Sonah, Prakash, Amanda, Ruby, Anesh, Ashna and Ralph and all the others too numerous to mention. You guys are the best!
This was illustrated one night when I mentioned I wanted to try a local beer that the hotel did not stock. The next day, while sitting by the pool, the young manager I had been talking to (Anesh) brought me two bottles of the beer on ice. He had clearly made a special trip to fetch the beer for me. Little touches like this made our trip an amazing one. On another night we were taken for a private tasting of the hotels home made Rum (well recommended).
We chatted to Marc, the excellent and attentive manager one day, and he mentioned that he knew that the Oberoi was not perfect but that they were striving for it. Well from our perspective, if this is not perfect then we don't know what is!
So, whilst the cost of the holiday is relatively expensive, we thought it was worth every penny. You get what you pay for! And we have already started saving up for our next visit.
100% recommended!

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank John L
Oberoi_Mauritius, General Manager at The Oberoi, Mauritius, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for a most wonderful review.
We are so pleased to read that your 25th Wedding Anniversary Holiday is filled with many fond memories of special moments and people.

The team members were delighted to read your review, particularly the ladies and gentlemen whose names you have mentioned.
I am sometimes not even aware of the success stories that occur in on a typical day at The Oberoi, Mauritius. I learn about them when speaking to guests, or when reading a review like yours. I will personally congratulate Anesh who went out of his way to surprise and delight you.

I do recall our conversation Mr. L about service excellence, and I thank you again for your compliments at the time and in this review. Expectations for us to deliver are very high, but I am fortunate to be working with a fantastic team of people who understand the principle of delivering the best, and enjoy what they do. Our thinking as a team is that every day we must strive to be better than the previous day.

Thank you for having chosen to spend this holiday at The Oberoi, Mauritius.

I also wish to take this opportunity to send all recent July reviewers from Sweden, the United Kingdom, Melbourne, our friends from Jaipur, and our recent wedding couple, my best regards. Thank you for all your expressions of appreciation.

Yours Sincerely,

Marc Denton
The Oberoi Mauritius

There are newer reviews for The Oberoi, Mauritius

Reviewed August 5, 2013

We spent 7 nights here for our honeymoon in late May 2013 and it was paradise. We cannot praise the Oberoi enough and it is by far the most exceptional and genuine service we have ever experienced in a hotel. Here are some of the highlights:

1. We were warmly greeted by staff and the manager of the hotel upon arrival - they knew us by name which was just amazing seeing that they had never met us before. The arrival drink of a virgin mojito was delicious and just what we needed. We were taken to our room and given a short but useful orientation and were very pleased to be spoilt with beautiful canape's in our room along with a bottle of wine. Thank you!

2. We had a luxury pavillion and it was gorgeous. (we don't think it's worth having the villa as the pools are really not crowded and the grounds are so pretty, you want any excuse to walk around them!)The bathroom was exceptionally well appointed and we used the bathtub every night! The only thing I could possible suggest is that some candles are made available in the bathroom to enhance the atmosphere even more! Bed was super comfy and we loved checking out dvd's on the odd night. We also enjoyed the i-Pod docking station and the coffee machine! Fresh fruit daily was a treat as was the bottled water.

3. The beaches were lovely and there were 2 to choose from, a small stretch of beach by the main pool that is a bit rocky but still very pretty, there is a jetty which you can walk on and swim off. There was water delivered to your lounger all the time as soon as you even hint at being the slightest bit thirsty and in the morning we got a lovely snack of fruit skewers and in the afternoon refreshing granita. The beach was never very full and we always got a sunbed right on the water - heaven! The other beach in front of the bar and restaurant is longer and more sandy with a few more beach loungers. Pools were spotless and really beautiful with all their architecture. We especially loved the showers - so cute! There is also an adults only pool which we went to a few times but we found the main pool to be a bit more sunny.

4. We played tennis on the clay courts (which we booked in advance - the hotel provides balls and raquets). We also made use of the rasoul chamber (steam room for couples) which we loved. The spa is great and although we didn't make use of any treatments, the facilities looked top notch and the bathrooms were gorgeous. My husband ski'd and the instructor was very courteous and polite. We also went on a glass bottom boat ride (not a highlight as didn't see anything too interesting!) We decided to hire bikes and ride into the nearest town to have a look at the shops, the hotel provided the bikes and backpacks. There was always a wide range of activities on go - which you would be informed about the night before- but we never felt like the place was busy, always calm and peaceful.

5. THE FOOD! OH MY GOSH THE FOOD! We have the most incredible meals from breakfast (which we made into a 3 course affair), to incredible evening meals. I could not resist the fresh fruit and juices at breakfast along with my staple banana pancakes daily - incredible! I still dream about them! We alternated between the main restaurant and On the rocks (the barbecue on the beach - make reservations!). Both offered some of the finest fare we have ever had with the menu at the main restaurant changing every 4 days or so. We would definitely recommend half board. Highlights for us were the bouillabaisse at the main restaurant and the seafood platter at On the Rocks. Service was always done with the biggest smile and we loved the waiters little jokes and anecdotes. The best thing was that the service was never in your face or overbearing. Wine was quite expensive but if you don't finish your bottle of wine they can keep it for the next night (that never happened to us though!). Cocktails at the bar were sublime but strangely enough, there were hardly any people who would come to sundowners - didn't matter to us but we would recommend trying to make the sunset! Worth it! Best bloody mary's we have ever had.

We would absolutely recommend this to resort to anyone. There were couples, families, all sort of people and everyone seemed to love it. Thank you to everyone at the Oberoi for making our honeymoon completely unforgettable. Can't wait to come back!!!!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ConfusedTraveller_82
Reviewed August 1, 2013

We were treated by our family to the 5 night "Honeymoon Package" (Euro 2000) the day after our wedding. My young bride loved the room and the bed fit for a King (and queen) with super soft bed and bedding. The water sports were all included and great and service by very customer orientated staff. The night we arrived there was a party with fireworks at the adjoining hotel which we would have loved to join just to change the subdued romantic atmosphere of the Oberoi..but that is just us who are young at heart! The 1.5 hour massage was unbelievable. We hired scooter for two days and drove along the coast to grande baai and Port Louis...quite a fun experience. Well done Oberoi, we had a lovely holiday!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Shaun B
Reviewed July 28, 2013

We picked this hotel for our wedding and we spent 14 days here 6 days before the wedding and then our honeymoon.
Arrival at 07:45 greeted by the GM Marc Denton and his team with a cooling drink. Introduced to Amanda our wedding co-ordinator (An amazing Lady a huge thank you from us)
Whisked off to our room for a beautiful breakfast.
The room was perfect (311) great views and close to the wedding location.
The food- breakfast daily was fantastic and as for dinner well fine dinning every evening and the Chef was astounding. No room for lunch.
The hotel grounds were beautifully kept and the views all round perfect.
The staff in this hotel just enhance the location with such wonderful service.
Beaches were great looked after with water or other drinks by the bar staff we did not have to lift a finger.
Wether was great for winter and during our stay it rained once for about half an hour.
Water sports were available daily.
The spa was just the best experience we had with a wonderful couples massage.
Everything is to done so tastefully and I could not fault the whole experience.
My wife and I will never forget this moment in our lives and want to thank the whole team for how special you made us feel.

Room Tip: We loved 311 as we had a great view.
1  Thank iwantsomepeanuts
Reviewed July 27, 2013

We booked for 5 nights stay at Luxury Pavilion at The Oberoi based on the raving reviews on Tripadvisor. This is our first stay at the Oberoi Hotel Group. For 350 euro per night at a 5 start hotel, I was not just expecting a good hotel but I was expecting to be dazzled but unfortunately it never happened.....

Our package included a pick up service from the airport, the hotel sent one of the drivers from their taxi pool to pick us up. The driver offered us cold towel and cold water as soon as we got into the car which was a nice touch. During our 1hr drive to the hotel we tried to make conversation with the driver but found that we couldn't hold a conversation with him due to his level of English so we decided to take a nap in the car instead.

When we were approaching the hotel the driver called the hotel so we were greeted by a front desk staff as we pulled out outside the hotel lobby. We were led to the hotel lobby area by the staff who told us that they had prepared "refreshments" for us at the lobby and she will conduct the check-in procedures with us in our villa. We were greeted and seated by a few more staff at the lobby and were given a Virgin Mojito each as our refreshments. We sat for 1 minute before the lady who led us to the lobby told us that she could take us to our rom if we were ready and that we could take our drink with us. We were tired after our long haul flight so we followed her to our room. En-route to our room she showed us to the different restaurants and facilities of the hotel which made the journey to our room longer than normal, not a problem if you were not carrying your handbag, a bottle of water and a ice cold drink. When we finally got to our room both my husband & I couldn't wait to put down our drinks. It was then we noticed that our suitcases had already arrived in our room and breakfast was set up for us in the room. The check in was quite efficient, the lady was courteous but was rather "robotic" when she went through all the amenities in the room and the check in procedures. Not the warm and sincere welcome we had expected.

After breakfast and freshen up we went to the front desk to ask for recommendations for activities within and outside the hotel. Our concierge fiddle for a while before he sat down with 2 large folders of activities. Instead of asking about interests, he went through them thoroughly one by one. We ended up prompting him to cut short or skip the activities we weren't interested in.

The hotel partner with their own vendors for many activities such as Underwater Sea Walk, Catamaran Cruise, Crown Lodge Stand for Horse Racing, etc. We found that the hotel staff were very keen in offering these activities to us however when we asked for activities provided by other providers at a lower price the response we got was "we don't work with this provider, we don't know the service they provide", "we don't have any information on this, you can look it up on the internet", etc, which was a real put off to us as we felt that they were very pushy towards their own tours and lacked flexibility and knowledge if we pick activities that is not on their "menu". Not the level of service I had expected from a 5 star hotel concierge.

The hotel has pool of 7 taxis and if you were to go outside the hotel, taxi is the only mode of transportation. The price will range from 1200 Rupees (30 euro) for drop off & pick up for shopping/dinner in Port Louis or South Bay to 3600 Rupees for a 1 day (9am-5pm) South Trip that covers the Water Falls, Temples and Seven Coloured Earth. During our 5 day stay we spend approx. 10,000 Rupees on taxi, a lot of money to be spent on taxi considering we weren't even in Europe. We were told that the taxi fare is fixed so there was no negotiation. The South Trip was a good day out if you enjoy a day away from the beach as was the Underwater Sea Walk for non divers. Grand Bay has a wide range of restaurants if you are not on an all inclusive package with the restaurant. We went to both Le Capitaine (recommended by the hotel) and Chez Ram (based on TA's review). The latter was much better and cheaper than the former, despite the fact that our hotel told us that Chez Ram is not on their list of recommended restaurant and didn't make a booking for us.

We tried 2 out of the 3 restaurants in the hotel. The one we didn't try is the Gun Powder Room which only opens 2 nights a week and only sits 6 people a night. We had dinner at both The Restaurant and On The Rocks, we enjoyed the food in On the Rocks slightly more especially their Palm Heart Salad. Breakfast was nice and can be served in the room or at The Restaurant. There's a small buffet table of bread, cold cuts, fruit, yoghurt, cereal, etc. From the menu there's a selection of western breakfast and Mauritian/Indian breakfast that were made to order. We would normally order a savoury breakfast followed by something sweet such as pancake or waffle and the staff can adjust the portions for you. The staff at breakfast was efficient and courteous but they had to asked us for our room number 4 out of the 5 days we went, neither did they remember our beverage choices as some other reviewers pointed out despite the fact that we were the only Chinese couple staying at the hotel. Not fatal but just one of the little thing I had expected from a hotel at this level.

The housekeeping staff were also very eager to have our room serviced each day so they would either call us to ask us what time we were going out or they would ask us when they see us leave the room. I can understand that it's their job to get our room cleaned but at time I felt pressured to leave my room so they could clean my room - not what I need when I'm on holiday!

We did experience the little touches like greetings from staff whenever we go within hotel, cold water spritzers at the beach, turndown service with towel folded animals, filled bath with flower petals that other guests mentioned but we didn't feel that they huge difference to our stay as they were outweigh by a number of missing touches such as stained cushion case, leaking tab, old flowers and rotten fruits provided in the room. A number of our requests were also not met such as our requests to book a Sunset Catamaran Cruise with Mauritius Attraction (a vendor that the hotel doesn't work with) as well as our request for a certain taxi driver to take us to the airport despite the fact that we made the 3 times.

The hotel manager who a lot of the guests were greeted by in the TA review was no where to be seen during our 5 nights stay so there was no channel for us to provide our feedback during our stay.

If I can choose to go to Maldives or Mauritius again I will choose definitely choose Maldives so it is very unlikely that I will return to Mauritius again but if I do I will certainly not be staying at The Oberoi.

12  Thank Kitkat815
Oberoi_Mauritius, General Manager at The Oberoi, Mauritius, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2013

Dear Guest,

I wish to begin by mentioning that I sincerely regret that you have not been satisfied with your recent holiday at The Oberoi, Mauritius. I am most saddened to read this.

It is indeed a great shame that I did not find the time to introduce myself to you at least once during your stay. I was present at the resort but unfortunately not during your arrival and departure times. It is most regrettable.

I have read your review with great concern. You have every reason to complain regarding service related points, and I sincerely apologize for this.

You have also mentioned a number of other points that will enable us to improve our services. Thank you for this constructive feedback.

You highlighted that you felt that our team members were keen to sell certain activities rather than others, and where the latter could indeed turn out to be cheaper. The concierge may not have exhibited the perfect tact, I agree, but there is a reason why we only recommend certain activity vendors. We have had some poor experiences in the past with certain vendors, and as a result we wish to avoid guests facing similar situations of being inconvenienced. Safety, Hygiene and Reliability are the main criteria we go by when we recommend a service provider to a guest. And this includes restaurant recommendations too. However, if a guest chooses to dine in a certain place or experience a particular excursion, we should of course provide assistance in making reservations. My team has shared with me the interactions they had with you, and we take it as a learning.

We thank you for having chosen to stay at The Oberoi, Mauritius based on the Trip Advisor reviews you have read. We are truly sorry that we did not live up to your expectations.

Thank you.

Marc Denton
The Oberoi, Mauritius

Reviewed July 21, 2013

I have spent 5 days there with family and friends and I can only say that I have never ever stayed in the such a property where the entire staff knows what exactly you want as if they were given lessons to read a guest's body language. There is nothing we can complain about as everything is perfect like the way staff greets you while you are walking around the resort, the ambiance , rooms ,location and the food. I would like to thank the entire staff and the General Manager to make our holidays so special with their amazing services.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank TanmayPJaipur
Reviewed July 20, 2013

This resort is really special. It is very quiet and romantic.The food is wonderful, the rooms are great and there are plenty of free activities. The staff is amazing and you are greeted by everyone everywhere on the resort. When they notice you have a book in your hands they will give you a bookmark, cold water spritzers at the beach, ice-cold water, they polish your sunglasses whenever you feel like it, cocktails, fruit, sorbets and cool towels were handed out. My husband and I would like to thank all the staff at the Oberoi Mauritius for making our holiday very special.

1  Thank Mina B
Paradise Cove Boutique Hotel
LUX* Belle Mare
LUX* Belle Mare
#1 of 13 in Belle Mare

Been to The Oberoi, Mauritius? Share your experiences!