“Second to None.......”

The Oberoi, Mauritius
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
“Second to None.......”
Reviewed March 10, 2013

Just returned from a 7 day stay at the Oberoi and it was superb.

Firstly the staff are excellent, always friendly, always helpful and most go above and beyond. Credit to Marc Denton, the General Manager, whose hands-on, enthusiastic attitude obviously rubs off on all the staff and the bar is kept very high.

Secondly the food is very good. We ate in the main restaurant, the 'On the Rocks' and also dined at one of their specialist fish nights in the Gunpowder room. All different but the service and quality of food consistently very high. The specialist fish night was probably a bit quiet for us, and with only one other couple lacked a bit of atmosphere. However I think we were getting spoilt by this time.

The Spa is great, I had a Thai massage and my wife had a Balinese. The whole experience was really good and we can compare. There's many other treatments available and speaking to others it seemed like consistent quality throughout. I joined the Thai Chi class and the instructor couldn't do enough - he even set up a class for me in his free time!

The beach is pretty good. You can swim, unlike some hotel beaches which are too rocky, and it never seemed to get busy. We went snorkelling and the driver was very helpful, which was a great way to spend a couple of hours and Kayaks are available to take out at any time.

Our room was the basic one but had everything, including a nice view and very close to the beach. I know there's a jump in price to the next tier up but honestly, given we were only in the room at night, it had everything we needed and was kept immaculately clean.

There's plenty of bars to lounge around at during the day, especially if it rains, which it did a few times. And there's many other things to do, with boat tours, kayaks, peddleos, wine tasting, spa classes, cooking classes, and many more.

Overall, a fantastic experience, thank you to all the staff for making our stay memorable.
We intend to come back to this hotel and we highly recommend it.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (300)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
norfolk, england
Reviewed March 4, 2013

Having previously stayed at St Geran in 2011, we decided to try a different hotel but were wondering whether anything could come near to our previous holiday experience. In fact, apart from the size of the beach at St Geran ( which is absolutely fabulous ), the Oberoi scored higher in every respect. Above all the staff were superb, smiley and happy to do anything to make our holiday memorable. For example, one sous chef specially gave us the recipe and made some wonderful aubergine and tomato chutney just for us and another had a specially made fresh lemongrass infusion sent to my wife in our room unbidden, when he heard she had a stomach upset.
The room was spacious and immaculately cleaned although the marble bath was somewhat unusual. Nice terrace overlooking a garden with pool nearby as well. Food was fabulous, very good indeed and after 10 days too much in a way. Lighter dining is however available at "On the Rocks" which we usually visited for a beer and a light lunch. If you are on a BandB deal eating at the hotel is expensive and wine and beer is not cheap, but nor are any comparable hotels.
Congratulations to Mr Oberoi for insisting on such high service standards and on his General Manager in Mauritius for a very hands on approach and a keen interests in his guests. Most of all however thank you to all of the wonderful staff who made our visit so memorable.

Room Tip: Rooms 505 to 512 are near the adult only pool, and overlook an area of grass and flowers and then th...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank rsm47
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 21, 2013

I have been meaning to write this review since April 2012 which is when we visited this resort, but because I have so much to thank the staff for I did not know how to start or how much I could fit in.
For starters I was reccommended this resort by a colleague of mine as they had been there with their kids. And I was travelling with a 2.5 month old from London and a 4 year old as our vacation after the second baby. And if I had not been at this property I do not know what would have become of us.
As soon as we landed the hotel's car was waiting for us and the GM and the managers were waiting for us outside in the blazing sun to welcome us. We were immediately shown to our rooms as we had small children and had been on a long flight.
The next day we woke up to a screaming infant who had developed a golf ball size lump on the back of her head due to the heat on the plane. Obviously being hundereds of miles away from our doctors one naturally would panic, but the staff at the hotel immediately arranged for a taxi for me and an appointment and had me seen by the top pediatrician (who was brilliant) within half an hour! I was so impressed with their speed and attention to the matter.And this is just one example of their caring and attentive attitude.
On a daily basis there was some thing they did which warmed our hearts, whether it was coming up with activities for my older daughter, or bringing us special chocolates and juices, it was at another level. We were totally bowled over with the staff and their passion and charisma for whatever they did! We were probably one of the few people staying there as a family with such small children, but the lady who ran the kids club always had some activity or other happening to ensure my four year old was not left out or not entertained and that was very sweet as she knew I was trying to care for the baby who was not well on that trip. The other person I would like to point out is Rahul from on the Rocks! He was so full of life and always willing to make sure my fussy four year old would eat, that he would make her whatever she wanted! He was brilliant!
Deepak, the manager, needs a special paragraph! This man bent over backwards for us. He was always available and always ready to help. And he is number 2 at the property. Its his very hands on attitude which shows through out this property and impacts the rest of the staff! He is the reason why The Oberoi in Mauritus is what it is, a property with impeccable standards and even more impeccable service! And coming from a family who is in the industry, the Oberois are very very luck y to have someone so loyal and committed to their role as this man and am sure will be seeing him as GM on one of their properties soon and trust me when that happens, we plan on following him!!
All in all, the holiday was fabulous and the fact we even could have a holiday with an unwell baby is all due to the staff and how wonderful they were! The spa is also deffff worth many many visits.
Thank you to the staff at the Oberoi for a lovely lovely holiday!!!

Room Tip: The villas are amazzzinngg if you are visiting with family. The rooms with one child is fine, but no...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank sairahaque
Ilkley, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 13, 2013

I've read several of the reviews here and I'm struggling to understand what people's benchmarks are...

We chose the Oberoi because it is one of the best 25 hotels in the entire world on Trip Advisor. We were lucky to get a half price deal also, but we knew we would get world class service...

To begin. After a few days my wife said to me "Why are we being treated specially?" Eventually the penny dropped...we weren't...the standards and consistency of service simply make you feel you are special.

Take one example: one of the best managers, Rahul (who runs "On the Rocks") engaged me in conversation one day (as many of the staff do.They are genuinely interested in you as a client). I happened to mention how much I had enjoyed the couple of Indian Thalis I had in the Main Restaurant. We discussed our favourite dishes. The next day he told me he had arranged for Chef to put together a special Indian meal for my wife and me, consisting of some of our favourites.

That night we had a specially cooked Mixed Tikka starter, with the best tikka lamb chops I've had in my life.They melted in the mouth. This was followed by a Dal soup, which was one of the best soups I've had in my life. Then a Thali including three of my curry favourites and finished with Rasgullah. And the whole had been specially cooked for us, without asking.

But it was the same in general. Yes there were set menus with a decent choice, including Mauritian and Indian dishes, plus cosmopolitan, but you could ask for Chef to prepare something specially!

Another example. One of my favourite Italian starters is Mozarella in Carozza. Chef Igor did a modern take on the standard menu. Afterwards he came round and as usual asked how we enjoyed our meal. I mentioned that I loved a classic M in C.Lo and behold, he made it specially for me 2 nights later.

Sorry to go on about the food, but anyone who is unsatisfied must just be picky. I thought the Scallops one night were perfectly cooked but a little bland. Next time I asked Chef to add some chilly paste. Specially done.Superb.

Oh and yes, do try the Gunpowder room, especially for romantics and free special rum at the end.

The Oberoi Mauritius is the nearest thing to Paradise I have stayed in.Yes it is like lots of beachside hotels in its use of bungalows, thatched buildings and sunbrellas, but there the similarity ends.

And the difference is in the people and the service. Every single person, from the most humble gardener to the general manager was personable, friendly and approachable and without fail smiles, clasps hands, bows and greets you.

Every person wants to go the extra mile for you. We lost count of the staff who gave us world class customer service, but among them:

Amanda
Henrio (the Yoga and Tai Chi teacher at the spa)
Rahul
Shaan
David
Karan
Chef Igor

are among the many...

If you want to you can simply chill for your entire holiday; or you can stuff yourself silly; you can take the free watersports or the multitude of other free activities. Or you can push the boat out and go Marlin fishing, dolphin watching or what have you.

We particularly enjoyed the Tai Chi and Yoga, Sculpting, painting, snorkelling, kayaking, pedalo, body toning, etc.etc.

You need never be bored. There is so much space; the swimming pools are serene and the sea is warm. If you really want to escape sneak off to Turtle Beach at the far end of the property where like all of the beaches you will get free iced water, fruit, slush puppies, fresh towels and simply the best service you could imagine.

I hope you find this useful. We've just spent 12 days there and it seemed like months. We have returned relaxed, refreshed, revitalised with memories of feeling we were in paradise among the privileged few...

Oh and it has its own micro-climate....yes it will rain sometimes but the temperature while we were there was between 73 at night and 93 during the day. If you get too hot you can retire to your air-conditioned room...

Room Tip: A luxury pavilion with a view of the sea is more than adequate but if you want to push the boat out...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank rougepierretc
Reviewed January 18, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed in a standard room with our 1yr old toddler. We were made to feel incredibly welcome and had one of the best holidays yet. The service was immense (though they did screw up one of the trips they organised), and the staff were brilliant with our son, going out of their way to make life easier for us. Highly recommended.

• Stayed April 2012
3 Thank Tarinee
Durban, South Africa
Reviewed January 18, 2013

We decided to spend 5 nights in Mauritius after a holiday in the Seychelles. After much reading and deliberating we decided to stay at The Oberoi.

We stayed in a luxury pavilion which was very well appointed and had a wonderful flow to it. I did initially feel the bathroom and closet was small but we managed just fine. We were given a room overlooking turtle bay and and close to the adult swimming pool which was perfect for us. Their property is stunning. Walking anywhere was such a pleasure because the gardens are so well kept and is a feast for your eyes.

The service is beyond excellent and everyone knows your name from day one and you are greeted whenever you pass a member of staff. While lying on the beach, we had a few special requests for our drinks and not only were they perfect, all the staff that worked at the bar and restaurant were informed of how we liked it and we didn't have to remind new staff that served us. We greatly appreciated that. My husband need some medication and they gladly called around to find the correct meds for us. Our air-conditioner failed to work on one evening after dinner and they speedily sent a technician to fix it. They then delivered a flower arrangement and a card the next day to apologise for the inconvenience caused. Nothing was too much of an effort for them and was always done with a smile.

The beach isn't very large but it was perfect for relaxing and swimming. There are two pools to enjoy - the structure and and design of the pool areas is artwork in itself. The food from breakfast, through to lunch, snacks and dinner was outstanding - Michelin star standards for sure! Be sure to make a booking at "on the rocks" in advance as it is small and you want to enjoy dinner here as well. (The grilled lobster with Madagascan vanilla sauce is not to be missed) The main restaurant is fine dining while "on the rocks" is a little more relaxed. We also thoroughly enjoyed dining at the Gunpowder room on one of the seafood evenings. There is always light live music playing during dinner which adds to your evening and creates a wonderful ambience in which to enjoy your meals. A drink at the bar during sunset is a must!

They also have a fantastic senses program with sculptor classes, astronomy lessons, cooking lessons, yoga lessons which are all complimentary. Also make sure you take advantage of the free watersports. The spa was very good and we enjoyed many treatments. The gym is also very well appointed.

It rained on the first night but the weather was wonderful the rest of the time. We hired a boat to go dolphin watching (and we later swam with them) It was our best experience yet.

Too many people to thank - because the service from all the staff and management is exceptional and really impressed us. Keep it up!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Jaqui_SA
london
Reviewed January 14, 2013

Had our honeymoon late 2012 for one week in Oberoi and one week in Prince Maurice. Firstly i must complement the service at the Oberoi, it was exceptionally good. The staff were wonderful with our baby daughter, so friendly and loving, i have never experienced anything like it on any hotel, And there were no duds, they were all wonderful. The grounds were lovely too, the flowers and foliage where absolutely beautiful. But..., the drawbacks are the location, the beach is pretty awful and when we were there the sea was pretty damn cold. So they could have had a heated pool, but no, that was too cold too. The style of the place is a bit odd, with strange carved statues that looked Easter Island ish, dont think they bore any relation to the culture of Mauritius. All felt a bit old fashioned. And parts of the place were just plain tired. i've posted some pics that show grotty marble in bathroom, stained pebbles on walkways, watermarks on pool. Now i wouldnt mind so much if this place wasnt absolutely top dollar. I think it was the same sort of price as a Aman, which we normally go to, but it was not even in the same league in terms of style and finish. I consider the Oberoi bad value for money. Appologies to the Manager who wrote to me after reading my feadback. I lost the letter so didnt get back to you. An email would have secured a response, for future reference. Our second week at the Prince Maurice was more enjoyable, lovely beach, bath warm water, nice pools, more stylish and up to date, but it does have to be said that the staff were not top drawer like the Oberoi.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank metroben
Oberoi_Mauritius, General Manager at The Oberoi, Mauritius, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for having posted your review on TripAdvisor.

We sincerely regret that you did not appreciate the atmosphere of the resort, and we note that you felt the architecture was odd.
I recall discussing this with you briefly when I met you on your departure.

You have however very kindly recognised our team members, and we are happy that you appreciated the service levels extended to you and your family.

Thank you.

Paradise Cove Boutique Hotel
LUX* Belle Mare
LUX* Belle Mare
#1 of 13 in Belle Mare

Been to The Oberoi, Mauritius? Share your experiences!