All reviewsrestaurant staffcabana barbirthday cakebuffet dinneryogurtvegetarianislandseasegataxiscleanerssunset
Reviewed May 10, 2010

We honestly couldn't beleive this hotel only has 2*, I don't like big OTT hotels when I'm on holiday and I'm used to budget hotels. The reviews and price made us pick this hotel and we were very impressed. The room was quiet and clean, the sheets and towels changed daily. The food at the restaurant is fantastic, I wasn't keen on the soups they served each night, but the rest of it I couldn't fault.

The hotel fronts onto the beach and a good section of coral so pack your snorkels! I would recommend getting some rubber beach shoes not flip flops for the beach as it does have some large pieces of coral in. The swimming pool is clean and was mostly quiet when we were there. There is a bar on site which we didn't use, but we did have some drinks with our dinner which you pay for at the end of your stay, worth keeping a tab of how much you spent.

The room comes with a free safe, more than enough towels, as most rooms don't have a balcony, there is a small washing line in your shower to dry off beach clothes. There is a TV in the room which my boyfriend was delighted to discover played the football (in french) there is also BBC world wide news. The room comes with a small fridge freezer, there is a small supermarket over the road that sells water etc. Note that the island doesn't have cows so they import dairy products from new Zealand so the milk is only long life and is difficult to get hold of. The rooms also have british plugs so you won't need travel adapters.

The hotel gives you a voucher for beach towels so you don't use the ones in the room on the beach, you have to trade this in at reception each day, but I recommend using this rather than packing a towel yourself. There is a hair dryer in the bathroom, but its not very strong, so if like me your hair takes ages to dry you may struggle with this, but it does the job.

I would recommend going on a boat trip to flat island if you want to snorkel, we saw the biggest fish there, the taxi drivers outside the hotel will be able to arrange this for you. If you have children with you I would recommend the Cassella Nature Park, you can pet baby monkeys and other animals there and also if you are feeling brace you can go walking with lions and pet cheetas (you have to book this quite a way in advance so book before you go out there).

Public transport is difficult on the island so you will either have to rely on taxis or rent a car. The taxis are all affiliated to a hotel and can only pick up from said hotel. As a result, your taxi driver will have to wait for you at the venue you are going to. All prices are set with the Hotel so you won't be able to negotiate these, however, if you fit in more things in one day the rate is a bit more reasonable. I would recommend going to see some of the volcanic craters, there is one with a beautiful waterfall we did on the way home from the crocodile park.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank London_Scooter71
Reviewed March 8, 2010

Stayed here for my honeymoon during feb 2010. Overall a good place to stay.

PROS:
* I could get good indian food for dinner specially cooked for us as I am a vegetarian. Very courteous restaurant staff (especially Pravesh).

* The place is very close to a Super Market and a bus-stop which makes it the biggest advantage. Other resorts like Move n Pick, Indian Resort, Tamasa, Sands Resort, etc where some of my friends also stayed during the same time are quite inaccessible by public transport. Gold Beach is situated near Flic en Flac which according to my tour guide is one of the best places in Mauritius.

cons:
* only 2 or 3 sea facing rooms. When I requested for one during check-in, they said it is not possible and did not even give a room with balcony even though many were available.

* a few bugs in the room during evenings. This shouldn't be a major concern.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PrashBlr
Reviewed February 24, 2010

Hi,
We have been to in FEB-2010 Gold Beach. The experiance is fantastic as you would get more than expected. Facilities are good and the staff is very very helpful and polite. You can get INDIAN VEG food on request and cook at the hotel is expert.
All together verry good hotel and great experiance to stay.

Regards,
Gaurav

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank GauravFEB2010
Reviewed October 9, 2009

It was a nice but small resort. The rooms were good. Dining space of resort was beach facing.
The Indian food served in the hotel was very good (better that what I have had in Bangalore).
The staff also was very friendly.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
Reviewed June 2, 2009

A nice place with all facilities. Though not a very high end property, offers all that one would usually want like swimming pool, water sports etc. They also serve good Indian food. Not a very expensive place either!
Overall, not a bad place if one is looking for a budget holiday.

Stayed: February 2006