All reviewsrestaurant staffcabana barbirthday cakebuffet dinneryogurtvegetarianislandseasegataxiscleanerssunsetwest
Reviewed September 27, 2010

we were there for 5 days and the loved the food(breakfast and dinner)
rooms are cosy and comfortable
the beach is really good nearby not many people
had a comfortable stay
they serve indian food and have some indian chef i suppose the staff are good and humble

We went for honeymoon and really enjoyed the trip

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank eanupam
Reviewed September 12, 2010

We have visited many hotels in Mauritius, and would rate Gold Beach hotel very good value for money. While it is situated on one of the best beaches in Mauritius, you do not have to pay 5 star prices to enjoy the island. Do not try to compare it with the luxury hotels that surround it. This is not a 4 or 5 star hotel; it is a small, cozy and very clean 2 star hotel with friendly staff. If you want clean comfortable rooms, good service and a hotel right on the beach, this is it. Food and drinks in this hotel were about 30 to 50% cheaper than in the 5star hotels. One of the best things about this hotel; they do not charge you $1000 corkage if you want to bring your own wine to the table.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank SvB-CvB
Reviewed May 24, 2010

Stayed with wife and 2 teenaged kids for 1 week.we had two cottages.the resort is located at a wonderful beach on one side.also, it is very close to shops on the other side.the rooms are decent. since we used to go for day tours on most days,we were using the resort mostly in the evenings only.with 31 rooms, you never get a feeling of being in a very crowded place.it has a small pool overlooking the beach. the beach itself is very clean.
the cabana bar serves a good variety of drinks.
the restaurant ,by the poolside, also overlooks the ocean. the quality of the food is very good.
the most amazing part of the stay was that each and every staff member was very cooperative.
on our 2nd night, the kids room had a little problem with the cooling.they agreed to shift us to another room in less than a minute!the rooms are well cleaned every day and fresh sheets and towels provided everyday.plenty of hot water,lcd tv, gym etc.
basically everything you want is there!it is not a plush resort. but is great value for money.
it is 20 mins walk from the main shops of flic en flac.and 2 mins walk from a small market at wolmar.so kids could always walk down to get their quota of chips/colas etc.
the restaurant staff is sooo adjusting, that it is difficult for me to express myself.the manager was always there, asking about everyone.since the buffet was mostly continental, they were always ready to provide us with indian food(at no extra cost).
the prices are also ok, as compared to other resorts.there is a free flow of coffee /creamer /tea sachets in the rooms.
there is also a quad biking center just 50 mtrs away from the resort. it is more reasonable as compared to the one at casela. also you save on taxi fare to go to casela.
overall a great place to stay!!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank spiralsDelhi
Reviewed May 10, 2010

We honestly couldn't beleive this hotel only has 2*, I don't like big OTT hotels when I'm on holiday and I'm used to budget hotels. The reviews and price made us pick this hotel and we were very impressed. The room was quiet and clean, the sheets and towels changed daily. The food at the restaurant is fantastic, I wasn't keen on the soups they served each night, but the rest of it I couldn't fault.

The hotel fronts onto the beach and a good section of coral so pack your snorkels! I would recommend getting some rubber beach shoes not flip flops for the beach as it does have some large pieces of coral in. The swimming pool is clean and was mostly quiet when we were there. There is a bar on site which we didn't use, but we did have some drinks with our dinner which you pay for at the end of your stay, worth keeping a tab of how much you spent.

The room comes with a free safe, more than enough towels, as most rooms don't have a balcony, there is a small washing line in your shower to dry off beach clothes. There is a TV in the room which my boyfriend was delighted to discover played the football (in french) there is also BBC world wide news. The room comes with a small fridge freezer, there is a small supermarket over the road that sells water etc. Note that the island doesn't have cows so they import dairy products from new Zealand so the milk is only long life and is difficult to get hold of. The rooms also have british plugs so you won't need travel adapters.

The hotel gives you a voucher for beach towels so you don't use the ones in the room on the beach, you have to trade this in at reception each day, but I recommend using this rather than packing a towel yourself. There is a hair dryer in the bathroom, but its not very strong, so if like me your hair takes ages to dry you may struggle with this, but it does the job.

I would recommend going on a boat trip to flat island if you want to snorkel, we saw the biggest fish there, the taxi drivers outside the hotel will be able to arrange this for you. If you have children with you I would recommend the Cassella Nature Park, you can pet baby monkeys and other animals there and also if you are feeling brace you can go walking with lions and pet cheetas (you have to book this quite a way in advance so book before you go out there).

Public transport is difficult on the island so you will either have to rely on taxis or rent a car. The taxis are all affiliated to a hotel and can only pick up from said hotel. As a result, your taxi driver will have to wait for you at the venue you are going to. All prices are set with the Hotel so you won't be able to negotiate these, however, if you fit in more things in one day the rate is a bit more reasonable. I would recommend going to see some of the volcanic craters, there is one with a beautiful waterfall we did on the way home from the crocodile park.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank London_Scooter71
Reviewed March 8, 2010

Stayed here for my honeymoon during feb 2010. Overall a good place to stay.

PROS:
* I could get good indian food for dinner specially cooked for us as I am a vegetarian. Very courteous restaurant staff (especially Pravesh).

* The place is very close to a Super Market and a bus-stop which makes it the biggest advantage. Other resorts like Move n Pick, Indian Resort, Tamasa, Sands Resort, etc where some of my friends also stayed during the same time are quite inaccessible by public transport. Gold Beach is situated near Flic en Flac which according to my tour guide is one of the best places in Mauritius.

cons:
* only 2 or 3 sea facing rooms. When I requested for one during check-in, they said it is not possible and did not even give a room with balcony even though many were available.

* a few bugs in the room during evenings. This shouldn't be a major concern.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PrashBlr