On my trip, I stayed at the Intercontinental, the Grand Mauritian, visited the Oberoi, Sofitel, Sugar Beach Resort, Hilton, and I have to say the Maradiva was in a league of its own!
We hired a car, and upon arrival at the Maradiva, a member of the concierge greeted us and informed us that he would park the car and move the luggage to our room. The staff welcomed us and provided us with a welcome drink. The General Manager greeted us and welcomed us to the hotel. We were then transported to our room, where check-in was performed efficiently.
We stayed in a standard room, and it was huge!! Through our door was an outdoor lounge area with a dining table, 3 sofas, coffee table, minibar, cd player and ipod dock, mirror, and a private pool. Inside was equally impressive. The bedroom was average size. The bathroom was enormous, with indoor and outdoor showers. The toilet was in a separate sizeable room with a seperate bidet. There was also a walk-in wardrobe.
The only complaints i would make are:
1. The bedroom is very dim. This means you can't read in the room.
2. The floorboards creak.
3. The pillows are too soft.
The main restaurant, Coast2Coast, had food nicely presented. I loved the bread baskets - bread was baked fresh daily and was warm and crisp on the outside. The restaurant was hardly ever crowded. Most of the time there were only 2 or 3 other parties dining when I was dining.
The staff were ok. Beware of the waiter with 2 thumbs on 1 hand!! That is quite unappetising to see especially at dinner. Some of the breakfast staff could improve on their service skills. However, there are a few staff members who are exceptional. Once during dinner, I felt cold and asked a waiter to turn off the fans. He and the manager could turn off all fans apart from the one above me, which could not be turned off even when all fan buttons were pressed. He informed me he was calling an engineer to fix the problem right away. This is the type of service that places the Maradiva above other hotels.
The main bar near the beach is excellent. There is a wide variety of drinks, and it is always empty! This meant we could choose from any of the different sets of couches and seats to sit on. I especially liked the rocking chairs. Service was great and efficient. The bar manager was laid back and friendly, both to guests and his colleagues. The staff were polite, friendly and professional. A dish of pre-dinner canapes are provided everyday for free! They looked and tasted great.
I loved the beach. It is a long stretch of tranquil and quiet sand. Sunbeds are placed both in the shade and sun so guests can choose according to their preferences. Complimentary cold bottled water and 2 iced glasses are provided by the beach staff. They also come around with a huge fruit platter with fruit cut up and on toothpicks. The staff were very friendly and told me to take as much fruit as I wanted! Also, free fruit sorbets are provided by the patrolling staff.
I went on the complimentary glass-bottom boat ride, and saw the beach from the sea - the stretch of beach looked so wide and tranquil, and the sunbeds were so far apart from eachother, compared to the squashed cluttered bustling beach areas of neighbouring hotels.
The Spa is a member of the Leading Spas of the World. The spa is very pretty, and I enjoyed my treatment. The fitness centre has a tennis court, table tennis, and 2 gyms. All these facilities are complimentary and are always empty!! Bikes can also be hired here.
The boathouse has complimentary activities such as snorkelling and glass-bottom boat rides. My partner and I went on the glass-bottom boat ride, and we were the only 2 people on the whole boat! We enjoyed having the privacy and space. We saw many Hilton boats passing our hotel which were crammed with guests. The boathouse staff also had good knowledge of other water activities.
On the whole, the service was exceptional. Having been to other hotels on the island, the Mauritian standard of service is not comparable to Asian hospitality found in South-East Asia. However, the service in the Maradiva is comparable. In other five-star hotels such as The Grand Mauritian, Sofitel and the Intercontinental, the staff at reception do not smile or greet guests. At the Maradiva, the receptionists stand up and greet guests whenever they walk past, and staff in the golf buggies stop and greet guests, and wait until guests have passed to start their buggies.
The housekeeping and in-room dining staff were very friendly and professional. The housekeeping staff clean the floor and dust the sofas as part of their daily clean, which demonstrates their attention to detail and cleanliness.
I particularly liked the turndown service, which was equivalent to housekeeping. All the towels and rubbish bins were replaced during this. In effect, we received 2 housekeeping services a day. Upon check-in, we were asked what time we would like housekeeping and turndown to clean our villa. They arrived promptly everyday.
I had 2 extremely unusual requests of the reception staff. 1 was that I wanted to do some activities within the hotel that the hotel did not offer. The other was to obtain the name and stocklist of a fragrance I smelt around the hotel. On both occassions, the friendly staff were able to satisfy my requests quickly, and their responses were more than satisfactory. Everything was arranged expediently and exceeded my expectations.
Overall, I had an excellent and relaxing experience. Having visited so many hotels on Mauritius, I believe this to be the best on the island.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Uniquely on the island, our luxury five-star resort features the discreet opulence of private villas for all our guests. Inspired by its Indian heritage, the Maradiva experience which includes an award winning Holistic spa, haute cuisine, and a private pool in the grounds of every villa, is defined by understated elegance and impeccable service. In a lush 27-acre setting with the turquoise waters of Tamarin Bay lapping our white sandy beach, the 65 villas at Maradiva are at the heart of a vibrant paradise, ideally situated for world-class golf, coral diving, big game fishing, and the island's beautiful national parks. At Maradiva, all our guests stay in the intimate harmony of their own private air- conditioned villas, with a butler available 24 hours a day. Our 49 luxury villas, 8 beach front villas, 6 exclusive villas and 2 Presidential villas each have their own private terrace, garden and infinity-edge pool, with the turquoise waters of the Indian Ocean right on the doorstep. For families or small groups, we also offer interconnecting villas. Guests looking for the ultimate peaceful hideaway can enjoy fine dining and many spa services in the privacy of their own villa. You can come to us, or we'll come to you. You choose. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Priceline, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Hotwire, Agoda, Travelocity, TravelUp, Ctrip TA, Cancelon and TripOnline SA so you can book your Maradiva Villas Resort and Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Maradiva Villas Hotel Flic En Flac
- Maradiva Hotel Flic En Flac
- Taj Exotica Mauritius
- Maradiva Villas Resort And Spa Mauritius/Flic En Flac