“Exceptional service, beautiful resort”

Maradiva Villas Resort and Spa
Ranked #3 of 18 Hotels in Flic En Flac
Reviewed May 21, 2010

On my trip, I stayed at the Intercontinental, the Grand Mauritian, visited the Oberoi, Sofitel, Sugar Beach Resort, Hilton, and I have to say the Maradiva was in a league of its own!

ARRIVAL

We hired a car, and upon arrival at the Maradiva, a member of the concierge greeted us and informed us that he would park the car and move the luggage to our room. The staff welcomed us and provided us with a welcome drink. The General Manager greeted us and welcomed us to the hotel. We were then transported to our room, where check-in was performed efficiently.

ROOM

We stayed in a standard room, and it was huge!! Through our door was an outdoor lounge area with a dining table, 3 sofas, coffee table, minibar, cd player and ipod dock, mirror, and a private pool. Inside was equally impressive. The bedroom was average size. The bathroom was enormous, with indoor and outdoor showers. The toilet was in a separate sizeable room with a seperate bidet. There was also a walk-in wardrobe.

The only complaints i would make are:
1. The bedroom is very dim. This means you can't read in the room.
2. The floorboards creak.
3. The pillows are too soft.

DINING

The main restaurant, Coast2Coast, had food nicely presented. I loved the bread baskets - bread was baked fresh daily and was warm and crisp on the outside. The restaurant was hardly ever crowded. Most of the time there were only 2 or 3 other parties dining when I was dining.

The staff were ok. Beware of the waiter with 2 thumbs on 1 hand!! That is quite unappetising to see especially at dinner. Some of the breakfast staff could improve on their service skills. However, there are a few staff members who are exceptional. Once during dinner, I felt cold and asked a waiter to turn off the fans. He and the manager could turn off all fans apart from the one above me, which could not be turned off even when all fan buttons were pressed. He informed me he was calling an engineer to fix the problem right away. This is the type of service that places the Maradiva above other hotels.

BAR

The main bar near the beach is excellent. There is a wide variety of drinks, and it is always empty! This meant we could choose from any of the different sets of couches and seats to sit on. I especially liked the rocking chairs. Service was great and efficient. The bar manager was laid back and friendly, both to guests and his colleagues. The staff were polite, friendly and professional. A dish of pre-dinner canapes are provided everyday for free! They looked and tasted great.

BEACH

I loved the beach. It is a long stretch of tranquil and quiet sand. Sunbeds are placed both in the shade and sun so guests can choose according to their preferences. Complimentary cold bottled water and 2 iced glasses are provided by the beach staff. They also come around with a huge fruit platter with fruit cut up and on toothpicks. The staff were very friendly and told me to take as much fruit as I wanted! Also, free fruit sorbets are provided by the patrolling staff.

I went on the complimentary glass-bottom boat ride, and saw the beach from the sea - the stretch of beach looked so wide and tranquil, and the sunbeds were so far apart from eachother, compared to the squashed cluttered bustling beach areas of neighbouring hotels.

OTHER ACTIVITIES

The Spa is a member of the Leading Spas of the World. The spa is very pretty, and I enjoyed my treatment. The fitness centre has a tennis court, table tennis, and 2 gyms. All these facilities are complimentary and are always empty!! Bikes can also be hired here.

The boathouse has complimentary activities such as snorkelling and glass-bottom boat rides. My partner and I went on the glass-bottom boat ride, and we were the only 2 people on the whole boat! We enjoyed having the privacy and space. We saw many Hilton boats passing our hotel which were crammed with guests. The boathouse staff also had good knowledge of other water activities.

SERVICE

On the whole, the service was exceptional. Having been to other hotels on the island, the Mauritian standard of service is not comparable to Asian hospitality found in South-East Asia. However, the service in the Maradiva is comparable. In other five-star hotels such as The Grand Mauritian, Sofitel and the Intercontinental, the staff at reception do not smile or greet guests. At the Maradiva, the receptionists stand up and greet guests whenever they walk past, and staff in the golf buggies stop and greet guests, and wait until guests have passed to start their buggies.

The housekeeping and in-room dining staff were very friendly and professional. The housekeeping staff clean the floor and dust the sofas as part of their daily clean, which demonstrates their attention to detail and cleanliness.

I particularly liked the turndown service, which was equivalent to housekeeping. All the towels and rubbish bins were replaced during this. In effect, we received 2 housekeeping services a day. Upon check-in, we were asked what time we would like housekeeping and turndown to clean our villa. They arrived promptly everyday.

I had 2 extremely unusual requests of the reception staff. 1 was that I wanted to do some activities within the hotel that the hotel did not offer. The other was to obtain the name and stocklist of a fragrance I smelt around the hotel. On both occassions, the friendly staff were able to satisfy my requests quickly, and their responses were more than satisfactory. Everything was arranged expediently and exceeded my expectations.

Overall, I had an excellent and relaxing experience. Having visited so many hotels on Mauritius, I believe this to be the best on the island.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
5  Thank StrawberryFrangipani

Reviewed May 9, 2010

Travelled in November for 2 weeks with our 3 months old baby. Our villa was second from the ocean but still afforded plenty of ocean view and it was only 10 meters from the beach. This was particularly useful as we could easily pop back into the room and even put our baby to sleep in the room and have the baby monitor with us on the beach!

The bedroom in the villa was not huge (particularly if you add the cot) but the bathroom was a nice size - the lack of space inside was made up with the lovely open air covered living room outside, including the Bose ipod docking station and an expresso machine. There is also a dining table where we regularly had our breakfast in the room and even cooked dishes arrived warm enough. It seems that the hotel encouraged people to eat in their villas as even though the hotel was half full, you would on average get maybe 10 couples for dinner in the main restaurant.

The beach is fantastic with plenty of shade from the trees (excellent for kids!) and very private as it is at the end of a long stretch of beach. Although there are people walking along the water's edge, the beech is wide enought to feel very private and exclusive. The beach service was particularly good, probably the best in the whole hotel as the guys were continuously running up and down and tiding up the loungers, bringing water and sorbets or fruit and taking orders for drinks. The beach snack menu was excellent with plenty of light (and more substantial!) choices. Whilst the ocean was clean and water inviting (although not the 'Carrebean turquoise' colour!), the main problem was that due to the coral reef, there were quite a few boats passing by 10 -20 meters from the beach so you always had to be vigilant and watch out for them. This also meant that you were not allowed to snorkel there although the hotel had a complementary trips daily to the other side of the reef.

The spa facilities were also very good with the massage of varying quality, depending on individual staff (isn't that the case everywhere?).

The service and the restaurants are the main areas for improvement. The service was quite erratic - from very good (on the beach) to sometimes quite poor in the restaurant. The food was mostly OK but it was expensive - I am used to London prices and their prices were way up there - we were pleased to be on half board (which was offered as a freeby from the agent!). The wine, as expected was also expensive and I managed to find 6 wines where the vintage year was at least 2- 3 years out. Not much of an issue with light whites wines but quite a difference with French Bordeaux - particulary as they offered it under the advertised price (usually in their favour). I mentioned this a couple of times to the Food and Beverage Manager who was 'shocked' and was going to sort it out immediately, only for me to continue to experience the same thing for the next week...
The Indian restaurant was a complete let down... empty, very average food and no atmosphere...

Overall, the location of the hotel, the privacy it affords. the beach and the pool area (which was always empty) and the commitment from some staff made us really enjoyed our holiday and I would particularly recommend it with babies. We would even consider going back...the food and drinks were overpriced and the service (in some places) still needs a lot of improvement but don;t be put of by it - it is a wonderful resort as long as you don't mind paying for it!

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank zendra
Reviewed March 31, 2010

We have just arrived back from a truly wonderful stay at Maradiva..we have travelled to many 5 star hotels but this hotel really surpasses them all..It has a magnificent location with stunning rooms, but what really makes it special are the staff and management..From the moment we arrived we were looked after like royalty, but not in an 'over the top' way. Nothing is too much trouble here..if you are on the beach or by the gorgeous infinity pool, there are waiters ready to provide complimentary water, cold face towels, cold beers etc! they also bring around complimentary fruit platters and the most delicious fruit sorbets. The breakfasts are divine overlooking the beach and sea and shared by the birds all waiting patiently for you to drop a crumb..it's a wonderful sound hearing the birds chirping in the gardens which are beautiful. At night the walkways are romantically lit with torch lamps, a lovely way to walk back under the stars after a meal.
The rooms are fantastic and looked after by the brilliant housekeeping team..They even lit the candles ready for you at night! Our room was a beach villa and we loved it..the outside lounge area is amazing with an Ipod dock, coffee machine, mini bar, ice, water,sofa, 2 chairs,coffee table and lamps. There is also a daybed by the plunge pool, perfect for lying on with a glass of wine gazing at the stars! The lanterns around the plunge pool come on automatically at 7pm,which make it even prettier. Our butler Rishy was amazing, anything we wanted was sorted and arranged, breakfast on the beach, a 6 course meal on our villa patio by candlelight, swimming with dolphins trip (the boat picked us up from the beach directly opposite our villa!), it was an early start so he arranged for breakfast in the villa at 6.45am, he organised with my husband a surprise meal on our last night in a private tent on the beach ( which was decorated with petals and candles and was the most food I think I have ever eaten in one go, I had to get up and walk on the beach between courses!) and Rishy even ran me a bath for after the meal, filled with bubbles, petals and surrounded by candles..sooooo romantic!

The restaurant Coast 2 Coast was fantastic, superbly run by Paz, and our waiter Avi was so lovely..The food was gorgeous, if I wanted something different that wasn't on the menu, it wasn't a problem..I had prawns that were caught on the day that were done as I wanted with garlic butter etc..The chef Didier is brilliant! In the Breakers bar, you could have cocktails before dinner, served with canapes or a nightcap after with a Shisha pipe on lovely comfy sofas..or just sit in chairs under the stars! In the evening there was live music which was great to just listen to. It is also the bar for lunch (set out under a tree on the beach) and drinks in the day.. Hoomit and Nitash were fantastic, again, incredible service and just great guys..I miss them already! The front desk staff were also superb, especially Allen, who organised taxis, a restaurant booking for us at Domain Anna (which is worth going to for the setting and relatively cheap) and trips..I need her here to work for me!!!

There are only about 60 villas, so at full occupency there would only be 150 people..over acres of space..when we were there it was half full..we hardly saw anyone else as it is designed so well, perfect for getting away from it all, it's quiet and chilled, and totally relaxing.

The trips I would advise anyone to do are the catamaran trip (bbq, drinks, snorkelling etc), we met fantastic people and had a brilliant day. The dolphin swimming trip ( be warned though, there are alot of boats all looking for the dolphins and it can seem a bit much,but it was a great experience), Caseala Park is a must, we went quad biking in the morning (it's photograhed for you and then you can buy the cd with all the pics and the scenery is stunning especially if you get to the top of the mountain and look down over the coast) and the Lion Walk in the afternoon..this was definately a highlight, there are only 3 places in the world where you can do this..It's an hour walk with 2 lions, I won't say anymore as I don't want to spoil it..Do prebook though as soon as you arrive as it gets full. Again they photograph and video it, it cost about £20 to buy the DVD, but it is well worth it..oh yes and wear walking shoes, not flip flops! there is a lovely restaurant with super views and peacocks trying (and succeeding in my case) to eat your lunch!

Port Louis is also a good place to visit, boutiques etc, a craft market which was great to get souvenirs from and we had a lovely lunch..We went by taxi, You pay for both ways and 'waiting' time, it is useful to know your taxi is waiting for you, but I don't think you need to do this as there seemed to be plenty of taxis waiting in the rank. However it wasn't that expensive, £40 for return trip and 4 hours waiting. Shorter journeys in taxis are expensive, we paid about £20 to go to Caseala (about 15 mins ride).

If you dive, the dive school is really good and is next door to Maradiva, only a few yards down the beach. You can prebook the dives before you go through Maradiva, but you will have to pay them directly for the dives, (they take cards) ..all other trips we could put to the room..and they are booked at the Boathouse which is right next to the Coast2Coast restaurant. They have a glass bottomed boat which goes out for snorkelling and is complimentary..we also went on a speedboat tour of the coast which was great.

A few hints:
take plenty of mosquito spray
Long trousers if horseriding (book at reception, the stables are at Le Pirogue, 5 mins away)
Take Rupees (you will need quite a bit for taxis, tips etc) and maybe some Euros (currency can be exchanged at reception).
It is smart elegant for dinner, so recommend lightweight dresses as can be very sticky at night at this time of year..and trousers and short sleeve shirts for men.
HIgh factor cream, the sun can be fierce! (but there is plent of shade everywhere)

We loved it here and can't recommend it enough..just book it!

A big thank you to all mentioned as they really made our stay brilliant..we miss you all!!! and thanks also to all the management especially Francis for the lovely G&T as we were leaving!!:-)

Carla and Dave Hannah

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank carlazim
Reviewed March 10, 2010

As others have noted we were concerned about the sudden rash of poor reviews in December 2009 however we stuck with our choice hoping that the circumstances in December were "one offs".
I can now, without hesitation, confirm that Maradiva is once again firing on all cylinders. On arrival you are whisked away to your villa where check in is done in situ. We requested a massage and this was arranged within 15 minutes - if only other hotels could be like this!
The most obvious thing that strikes you is the physical beauty of the hotel. Firstly and something people won't appreciate is that the hotel has enormous grounds for only 60 odd villas (I believe over 23 acres) which gives a wonderful feeling of space and privacy. Secondly the hotel was immaculate and looked as new with simply stunning interior design everywhere you looked.
The next thing that strikes you is how incredible the villa is, huge outside sitting area with bose hifi (with Ipod dock), mini bar, pool and yes views of the sea! Each villa position is staggered to ensure views are unimpeded and privacy maximized.
Onto the the restaurant where the service is simply as good as it gets. However the staff go one further than just providing exceptional service, they are friendly and generally concerned about getting you everything you need. Breakfast service was fast (and I am incredibly impatient) and I have to say that I generally prefer an a la carte service to one large buffet with eggs cooked 3 hours earlier.
Food at Coast 2 Coast and Cilantro were both very good and I must admit that I personally felt that Coast 2 Coast was pretty much as good as Cilantro (unless you have Kelly's Teppenyaki at Cilantro which is exceptional).
Couple of other things you should know. The beach is very nice although don't expect the turquoise waters of the Maldives or Caribbean. The pool area is stunning and we found ourselves spending more time here than on the beach. The gym is very good indeed with the latest Technogym equipment although I think we were the only people using it! Finally the spa is one of the best we have seen and I recommend the free Ayuverdic consultation with the doctor.
As far as negatives there are one or two which are purely nitpicking. The floor in our villa (302) was incredibly creaky which meant I kept waking up my wife whenever I went to the toilet. The other one was not having any milk for the coffee, however you just call up and they bring you fresh milk in around 30 seconds.
There are so many little touches of excellence which I could go on about but the previous reviewer has covered many of these. Overall we loved it and would definitely go back again.

P.S. the half board billing is a bit confusing but only requires GSCE level maths to figure out.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
7  Thank LondonHardtoplease
Reviewed March 4, 2010

I never write reviews. When I find a great hotel I normally prefer to keep it to myself. But I felt compelled to response to the handful of ludicrously poor reviews this hotel has received.

I can only conclude that some people go on holiday stressed, intent on finding fault and expecting of city business hotel standards in unique, remote, lesiure properties. There can be no other explanation for the nit picking some have engaged in with regard to the Maradiva.

So let's set the record straight. This is an exceptional property with exceptional food and exceptional service.

To reassure others about the service, it falls into two categories. The best is enthusiastic, competent and joyuous. The worst is polite and competent. While the island is technically bi-lingual English/French, the deliniator seems to be how at ease the staff are talking in English. And if the worst you get is polite and competent, I'll take that any day. Generally the staff are very keen to please and a real pleasure. It's amusing at times. They freak if they even see you carrying a drink or a towel around. They consider that's their job.

Good staff flows from good management. Priya at front of house is a delight and will really help you get the most from your trip if you wish. Francis the General Manager is very, very visible. Always around the restaurant and bar and he gets his hands dirty if needed. Once we were waiting too long for our wine at dinner. Francis's sixth sense told him something was up, he was over in a flash and personally poured our wine less than 90 seconds later. That's service and a real example.

Some people have complained about receiving the wrong orders. But the staff always repeat orders back to you. I got the wrong order once and it was my fault because I didn't listen when it was repeated back. No, service here is really good.

Food is splendid. Both restaurants are great. Yes, you can spend a fortune in supplements, but you don't need to. The set menu at the Coast to Coast offers fish, meat and vegetarian starter and main course with a set dessert. It changes every day and is always delicious. We normally ate off this. I'm quite happy with Pumpkin soup, Beef Wellington and Chocolate Croquette as my "standard" meal. I don't need to upgrade! But if you do go a la carte then you'll enjoy too. The Cilantro fusion restaurant is also good, but there the set menu is taken from the a la carte choices and therefore offers a bit less variety.

I think chef at the Coast to Coast must be a talented, trained pastry chef who can do everything else too as desserts were magnificent.

Breakfast is a pleasurable affair. I just don't understand the negative reviewers who want a half cold buffet so they can get food straight away. You're on holiday, relax! Everything is cooked to order, is hot and doesn't take particularly long. They'll also happily go off menu for you. Top tip, ask for crepes with black cherries and cream.

Because of the private nature of the villas and their disposition the resort is very quiet. If you want a lively bar go elsewhere. For honeymooners like us though it was perfect.

The villas are great, the outdoor living area a dream. Super premium coffee machine and heavenly cakes delivered mid afternoon each day.

I could go on but it's better that you discover this gem for yourself. If you want an individual property, with no double or triple storeys and with space, privacy, elegance and terrific food then this is the best choice to be had on Mauritius. Location is perfect for the many interesting sights too. Do go walking with lions at Casela just 15 minutes away and do hire a car and drive down to Chamarel. The island is beautiful. There's much to see and do.

A final thought about service. We had to delay our honeymoon because I was having chemotheraphy when we were married and therefore unable to travel. When our travel agent (the efficient Mauritius Direct who will probably get you the best price to be had) informed the hotel their guest was terminally ill then the hotel discreetly added in their honeymoon package at no extra cost. Now that really is service. And of the highest order. We were touched and grateful .

Go to the Maradiva as we did with your cup half full and not half empty, relax, go native and have the time of your life.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
10  Thank UKCrab
Reviewed February 27, 2010

This is the first time we have ever written a review but having read some of the comments regarding the Maradiva we felt we had to put the record straight, in our opinion that is. We only booked the Maradiva for our wedding (we will cover this later) in January and we arrived for our 2 week stay early on 18thFeb. Having made the booking we started to worry about our special day having read some of the recent reviews. Just to let you have some background, we have stayed in some of the most exclusive hotels in the Far East, Dubai, Europe, the States and the Caribbean so we like to think that we have a good idea of how a top Hotel should be. Well all we can say is that the poor reviews on this site, in our opinion, are simply wrong. From our early arrival we have been treated so well by ALL the staff who are attentive, helpful but not over the top and they come across as being so sincere. There are obviously some exceptions, but only in a good way, for instance the wedding co-ordinator, Prithee is simply outstanding and she made our special day simply perfect (we were married on Feb 24th). We have had breakfast and Dinner in Coast2Coast several times and have found the service and the food superb, only once did I have a problem with my eggs being over cooked one breakfast and having pointed this out to one of the waiters, I had a replacement within 5 mins.
Others have complained of a “lack of privacy”. True, the plunge pool in front of your Villa is not surrounded by a brick wall, why would you want it to be?? We can relax in ours and look across at the view of the superb gardens and the Indian Ocean beyond, if you want total privacy why not go inside the gorgeous Villa.
No the bars are not full of noisy people, this is such a peaceful resort where you can unwind and enjoy each others company, if you want noisy Bars probably best to go to a resort in Spain.
We could go on and on about how amazing this place is, we are lucky enough to have another week here, however, if anyone is thinking of a trip to Mauritius or better still, planning a wedding here, please do not be put off by the negative comments on this web site. If you contact us through Trip Advisor we would be happy to answer any questions you may have or share some of the 100+ photo’s we have already taken!!

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
7  Thank mwlsfl
Reviewed February 24, 2010

On arriving at the resort we were greeted by very friendly staff and it was thoughtful to be asked if we had specific food requirements at this time. We were taken to our villa by buggy and found it to be spacious and clean, with awelcoming fruit basket and drink. It rained frequently, so we were bitten a few times. Due to this, we did not use the outside shower. Also as the refreshments and mini bar were located in the outside area, we chose not to sit outside inthe evening and use them. It would have been nice to have had some milk left in the fridge though. The service was excellent, both in the villa and the restaurants. The food was excellent, though being on half board it was careless of the resort to charge extra for some dishes - I felt that this detracted from the sense of a "getaway and carefree" break and was detrimental to the resort.The location was so beautifiul and the gardens well stocked with lovely flowers and well kept, it was a joy to walk round them. There could have been a touch more lighting on the paths, especially as the snails were going for walks! There were plenty of activities on offer, many free, but we chose not to take up any. The Spa treatments were good, though the floor was slippery during the rain, when walking to the treatment rooms in outside buildings. Remember to take plastic shoes for going into the sea, as there may be lion fish. The shop on site had sold out, though I could have bought a pair from the few friendly (and not pushy) sellers on the beach. I appreciated that when you approached a lounger on the beach, immediately the bed was prepared by the beach staff and I was given a cold flannel along with cold water with ice in a glass - very refreshing. And with the occasional choice of fruit or an ice cream being brought to me, I was in heaven! Check your time of collection when leaving, we were told 11am in a letter then 10am verbally. We prepared for 10am and it was actually 11am, so it spoiled the end of our holiday, having to be at the small airport longer than was necessary. But overall, the villa was all we needed and the plunge pool was a lovely temperature.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Sands Suites Resort & Spa
#1 of 18 in Flic En Flac
Four Seasons Resort Mauritius at Anahita
Trou aux Biches Beachcomber Golf Resort & Spa

Been to Maradiva Villas Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!