“Heaven, we didn't want to leave” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Maradiva Villas Resort and Spa

Maradiva Villas Resort and Spa
Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Flic En Flac
Hartford cheshire
“Heaven, we didn't want to leave”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2013

We stayed at Maradiva for 14 nights from 20th April-4th May.
Our villa was just perfect, the food was wonderful and thanks go out to the in villa dining team for tims wonderful birthday on the beach- the cake was amazing!
If you go try the pink pigeon cocktail - wonderful.
Breakfast is more than the usual buffet type and the fresh fruit platter is so "tropical" I miss it!
Do try in villa breakfast it's a treat.
I had a little incident regarding my phone and the management were more than helpful regarding the problem and even sent a hand written apology with a very nice bottle of bubbly - thank you x
A huge and very special thank you goes to Wesley and his team on the beach - you made us feel like we were the only guests in the resort- shirt in the post x
Yes folks there is a down side- wine is expensive but hey go down to spar and buy a few bottles, it's no hardship.
A note if you are going ... No need for towels, toiletries ,water or plug in mosquito repellent it's all there for you!
We stay in 5 star hotels nearly all the time and we would say that the maradiva hotel with its lovely pool, food, staff and heaven on earth beaches and views is the one hotel we would award 6 stars!

thank you see you next year!

Room Tip: They are all close to the beach but invest in a beach villa if you can
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Liz H
Eric M, Resident Manager at Maradiva Villas Resort and Spa, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

I am delighted to know that you will award us 6 stars and were pleased with the various aspects and amenities of our resort including the décor of the villas, your birthday cake, the pool and beach service.... It is great to know that you enjoyed also our Pink Pigeon cocktail at our Breakers Bar Lounge.

Concerning the rate of wine and spirit, we would like to point out that we regularly survey the competition and are continuously comparing our prices with our competitive set; our prices are at par with other 5* in Mauritius.

On behalf of the entire team, I wish to thank you for choosing Maradiva Mauritius for your holiday. I look forward to welcoming you back to Maradiva for your next holiday.

Best regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013

I stayed at the maradiva a week in April 2013 and I was absolutely delighted. The rooms are huge and very beautiful, with showers inside and outside. Every villa has its own private pool. The beach is very nice, and the service is just perfect. Staff were amazing. The food was also very good, especially the japanese restaurant.Perfection.

1 Thank Anne B
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2013

Just returned from a 7 night stay. Shocked that this is a Leading Hotels of The World resort. First night the room was dirty and disorganized. Stains on the carpet, broken lamp shade, broken sink and more. Upon asking for a resolution the front desk manager had nothing to say and offered no sort of resolve. He told me that I would have to wait until the residence manager returned the following morning. After 2 hours of back and forth I was switched to a new room with its own new set of problems. Day 2 we experienced cockroaches in the villa. We called the reception and were told they would be taken care of. No apology or any concession was made for our inconvenience. Day 4 comes and we find more cockroaches in the villa. We were of course furious and upon speaking with management we demanded some sort of a concession. After this discussion we received a phone call from the manager who eluded to contacting the police if we didn't pay our bill. This is of course after we had already spent several thousands of dollars on our reservation. The whole situation, just as everything else at this resort was not handled appropriately. Aside from the rooms themselves service at the restaurants was likened to a train wreck in slow progress every dining experience. There were 3 waiters serving thanked. Every ne stepping on the other or repeating work already done. A complete disaster. Clearly the staff lacks basic training. One of my favorite experiences was when I ordered an omelette with ham and Swiss cheese from our waiter. After it was delivered by someone else I noticed that the omelette was made with goat cheese. I called for the manager who proceeded to argue with me that goat cheese was in fact Swiss cheese. After laughing to myself and reordering with the chef of the restaurant I proceeded to wait 45 minutes for my omelette which I eventually could not wait for. I can't list all of the minor problems here but to sum it up the service is some of the worst I have ever experienced regardless of star rating, cleanliness was poor to average everywhere. The food happened to be delicious and the beach itself and location is gorgeous. I would not waste your money to stay here. There are plenty other resorts on the island.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank yeahok123
Lausanne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2013

We just got from a 14 nights stay at the Maradiva where we were staying at the Luxury Suite Villa with a plunge pool. Before I start my review, I want to mention that I have stayed at the One&Only Le Saint Geran on the Mauritius, at Four Seasons on Langkawi, and at other 5 start luxury resorts in Maldives, Bali, Koh Samui Thailand, so I know what I am comparing Maradiva to.

On the flight back I was trying to judge how many stars Maradiva deserves and I decided to give it an overall 5 stars, but I want to make a separation here – the resort itself deserves a 5 star, but the restaurants and beach deserve a 4 star, and the sea/swimming deserve a 3.5 stars I will elaborate as to why later.

We flew from Geneva to Mauritius via Dubai, I highly recommend flying Emirates because they allow you 30 kg of luggage per person in economy and you can have more than one luggage to check in at no extra price.

The hotels driver met us at the airport since I reserved a transfer through the hotel and we were driven to the hotel, approximately 45 minutes, and once at the hotel we were escorted to our Villa. Since our friends were also staying at the hotel, when we reserved the hotel we asked to be given villas close to each other and when we arrived, we found out that we will be next to each other – thank you for this, as it’s not always the case at other hotels. The Villa was very good: it was large, the terrace was spacious - we spent most of our nights sitting on the terrace with our friends, the bathroom was well lit and spacious, and the plunge pool was nicely done. Overall, the villa deserves a strong 5 star, especially considering how much we paid for it.

The hotel grounds are very big and the villas are well spaced apart, so even during high season you do not see other people very often. The hotel territory is very well maintained, very green with lots of trees and flowers, the hotel grounds deserve a strong 5 star rating. The pathways inside the resort are paved with asphalt so women can wear high heels to all the restaurants.

The beach itself is very long and spacious, with lots of sun beds spaced well apart, so you do not feel crowded. There are beach boys around to bring you towels and water, but sometimes it is a problem finding one, as they are not enough of them for all the beach area. I would advise wearing rubber shoes while swimming, as there are lots of corals and sea urchins in the water, plus the water is very shallow from the beach to the coral reef that runs all along the hotel grounds. I think that the hotel organizes snorkelling excursions outside the reef, but I never tried it. A very big inconvenience are all the boats passing close to the beach going to and from the Tamarin bay. I would give the beach a 4 star and the sea a 3.5 star rating.

There are 3 restaurants on the hotel grounds: Coats2coast where you go for breakfast, lunch and dinner, plus an Indian and a Japanese restaurants. The Coast2coast restaurant is ok, but in my opinion, the food is overpriced for what it is however, it is very spacious and nicely decorated. I do not like Indian food so I cannot give an opinion on the Indian restaurant, the Japanese restaurant’s food is good but very expensive. Overall, I would give a 4 star rating to the food part of the hotel. I would recommend going to Flic en Flac for dinner as there are some good restaurants there at half the price.

While we were there, we had two birthdays to celebrate and I want to say a very big THANK YOU to the Chef Jerome and to the head of F&B Yanice for organizing two amazing birthdays, thank you from all of us. All the staff did a really good job on both our birthdays.

There are a couple of points that need correcting, but all of them are minor and I will not mention them in this review, but will send an email directly to the hotel.

It was very sad leaving Maradiva, but I can definitely say that we will be back at the Maradiva in the future and we will recommend it to all our friends and relatives.

Nota benne for the divers: the hotel does not have its own dive centre, you have to go to Sofitel which is next door, around twenty meters from the Maradiva. The dive centre is called Nemo Diving, they do two dives per day and can organize private dives and night dives. Overall, the centre is good, the material is good, and the dive masters and instructors are well qualified.

4 Thank KonstantinDR
Eric M, Resident Manager at Maradiva Villas Resort and Spa, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Greetings from Maradiva Villas Resort and Spa!

It is my pleasure to know that our hotel stands out the most among the properties you have visited worldwide.

On behalf of all at Maradiva Mauritius, I would like to thank you for sharing your experience with us and I am glad you were able to take home wonderful memories from the time spent with your friends. Your comments are a valuable tool for us to continue to improve our services for future guests.

We look forward to welcoming you to Maradiva again for your next holiday.

Surrey England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

We have stayed many times in Mauritius including the Four Seasons , Anahita and the St Geran but the thing that makes this hotel the most special was the friendly staff and management. Our stay was originally scheduled for 10 nights but we stayed for a further five as we were having such a good time. The hotel management, Eric and Fabrice were always available and present in the morning and evenings so if there were any minor issues they were sorted. The food was extremely good whether you ate in the main restaurant (Great service from Vikash), bar on the beach or at that teppanyaki (we didn't eat in the indian restaurant). We don't normally take in room or in villa dining but we tried it here and it was extremely good - served hot and fresh and all the courses separately. The Head chef Jerome was always available and stood outside the kitchen in the morning and gave us a tour of the fruit and vegetable garden in the hotel where a large amount of the food is organically grown. We had so many examples of good service when we got home we asked our agent if they had given us some kind of VIP treatment but we were told its the norm. The night before Easter at about 1030pm we jokingly asked one of the waiters if they were serving hot cross buns for breakfast as we loved them so much. It was a casual enquiry but by the time we turned up at 9am the next day Jerome presented us with a freshly made batch - just for us. On another occasion my wife had a very sore throat and without asking Ricci the Head of room service turned up at our villa with a traditional home made lemon grass and honey infusion for her. The beach service is very good (Thanks Bilal, Wesley and Ludvik) with a free bottle of water to start the day off and the beach itself is huge compared to the nearby resorts so its easy to find a private spot. Like a lot of Mauritius there is a reef offshore so the beach is coral in places which might frustrate some but on the other hand within a 10 minute free hotel boat ride it was possible to snorkel over the most amazing reef with hundreds of beautiful fish. Unlike most hotels the Maradiva has a proper gym .. all high end Technogym gear with one cardio studio and one weights studio. Theres also one tennis court with free balls and rackets. The 2 trainers there, Adrian and Christoph were very knowledgable - we did their abs classes in the morning (if we were awake early enough!). The SPA is simply the best. The setting is beautiful with a very quiet pool to sit around and the range of treatments extensive and high quality. Its not surprising they have won awards. We tried several treatments including Ayuvida which involves a consultation with the Doctor Aadarsh who was very kind. The daily yoga classes are very good and geared to whoever turns up. My wife frequently participates in yoga but it was a first for me - even if you are skeptical like me just give one session of sunset yoga a try with Anand - its quite an experience. The villas are really nice with nespresso machines (remember to call and get fresh milk put in your fridge), iPod docking stations, indoor and outdoor showers and wifi throughout. You often don't see many people around the resort as so many just lounge in their villas. As one final example of service - one evening after dinner part of my wires heel broke off. We went to the bar to order a buggy to take us back to the villa and on finding out what happened one of the bar tenders, Lovy, appeared with a tube of super glue and fixed it. We cannot say enough good things about our experience here - it's certainly true the infrastructure is a little newer at say the four seasons but if you want more friendly, relaxed but attentive service, we thoroughly recommend it. We will certainly return - it was the best experience we've had on the island.

Room Tip: General tips: The tide means its not usually possible to windsurf or sail the hobby cat all day so w...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Roomfeedback
Eric M, Resident Manager at Maradiva Villas Resort and Spa, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Dear Guests,

Firstly, please accept our sincere appreciation for choosing Maradiva Villas Resort and Spa.

On behalf of the management team at Maradiva, we wish to thank you immensely for taking the time to write to us and to convey such gracious comments.

Your comments are not only a welcome endorsement of such belief, and a great testimony to associates’ professionalism and dedication, but will also serve as an added inspiration to consistently maintain the high standards you have experienced, and which are one of the trademarks of Maradiva.

It is always a great pleasure to read through notes such as yours, for they help us in our continued commitment to see to each and every need of our valued guests and to exceed their expectations, so that they may keep enjoying the finest services in the renowned tradition of the Mauritian hospitality.

Kind regards
Fribourg, Switzerland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2013

The Maradiva is a "classical" luxury hotel at a gorgeous place - therefore, you have quite high expectations when you book such a place for a 10+ days stay, especially if you look at the price tag.

And indeed, the location is outstanding, the design of the hotel is generous, the villas are large and the garden is stunning, there is plenty of space between the villas and you never feel that you are too close to other guests. As the entire hotel covers a huge surface for a relatively small number of guests, you'll always find an empty place at the beach and you never - really never - feel being in a crowded environment: there is never a fight for the best place at the beach! The personnel is most of the time rather friendly (but incompetent, see below), and they offer plenty of free activities (we only discovered this towards the end of the stay, so make sure that you read the information provided by the hotel and/or the tour operator; this was not our case, but that's our problem and probably a sign of our need for a relaxing holiday ;-)).

However, the Maradiva is not perfect: apparently, the management struggles in implementing a constant service quality, and as a result, you may have to repeat your order 3 times, get something else than what you've ordered (and as you had to wait for a very long time, you finally accept whatever they bring you …), desperately seek for a waiter when sitting in the bar (tip: take some signal flares with you …), wonder whether the waiter is a fake one with the mission to make laugh the guests, or be patient for more than one hour to get your lunch. Apparently, talent is rare everywhere, not only in Western Europe …

Regarding the culinary experience: one of my trip advisor peers wrote that the Maradiva served him the best Japanese food he'd ever had - to be very honest, it's quite hard for me to understand that statement, and I'd happy to invite the concerned contributor to some restaurants I know in London, Paris, Madrid or even in Lausanne or Berne. It's true: the Maradiva has a very ambitious gastronomic claim - the menu in all three restaurants makes you think about a fancy restaurant in the 6th or 8th arondissement in Paris. And a minority of the creations is very good - however, the large majority shows that the chef does not master his team - strange side odours, overcooked meat or fish, fruits without taste, or even heavily addled food (during our stay, that arrived three times - with a quail, shrimps and fish). If you forget the latter (which would be an exclusion criteria for any gastronomic guide), the general quality of the restaurant does not exceed 11 - 12 points in Gault Millau. Sorry to be so rude, Mr Chef, but it might be better to focus on less sophisticated and more authentic recipes which are easier to prepare for untrained staff. The same comments also apply to the breakfast, btw.

Finally, beverages are completely overpriced - wine you can buy for a couple of Euros in Europe is sold 20 Euros the glass, and even a bottle of water costs more than twice as much as in that expensive town that is Paris. If you'd like to order a bottle of really good wine, the possession of a Russian Passport is mandatory. However, I was told that this is a common practice in all luxury hotels in Mauritius, so I won't blame the Maradiva for this.

To sum it up: we had a nice stay because Mauritius is a magnificent place with plenty of things to discover and we were lucky to have really nice weather. But I do not think that I'll become a "habitué" of the Maradiva - even if the general setting of the hotel is attractive, there are too many things which are inacceptable for a hotel of that price class.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank CarosassoneCH
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013

We went to Maradiva on recommendation from family member - we were not disappointed!! The room was stunning, the service personal and very friendly and the food was beautiful. The place felt very intimate and private - in fact we barely saw any people during our stay. Priya and Rachel at reception could not have been more accommodating! An incredible small boutique hotel and we cannot wait to go back for our anniversary.

1 Thank James R
Eric M, Resident Manager at Maradiva Villas Resort and Spa, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Greetings from Maradiva Villas Resort and Spa!

On behalf of all at Maradiva Mauritius, I would like to thank you for sharing your experience with us and I am glad to read that you were not disappointed by the recommendation of family member.

We look forward to welcoming you to Maradiva again for your next anniversary.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Flic En Flac
Constance Le Prince Maurice
Constance Le Prince Maurice
#1 of 2 in Pointe de Flacq
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,178 reviews

Been to Maradiva Villas Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!