“Suprised and very impressed”

Maradiva Villas Resort and Spa
Ranked #3 of 18 Hotels in Flic En Flac
Reviewed April 9, 2013

We spent 5 nights at Maradiva and 5 nights at Le Touessrok on the East side of the island. We had been led to believe (and given the price increase) that Le Touessrok was to be the better hotel, which is why we saved that for last. However, we were given bum leads, as Maradiva was superiour in a lot of ways.

We chose a garden villa (205 if I recall) with views facing the nearby mountain which was great. It was enormous, the outside area tasteful, and the pool a delight (though a bit cold since it is a plunge pool). The inside was great as well, and the bathroom and outside shower was of a very high standard. Only downside was the a/c could have been a bit colder in the room (even though we had it turned up to the max). Nice touches included the ability to call when you wanted you room made up, and afternoon treats delivered to your room.

Choice of 2 restuarants - the main restuarant where breakfast is served each morning served great a la carte dinners as part of half board - a welcome change from buffets. The other restuarant was an Indian & Tepinyaki affair - the Indian was great, but we ran out of time to try the Tepinyaki.

The beach was lovely, though perhaps not as sheltered as the waters at Le Touessrok. The spa was also great, pricey (though not as expensive as Le T) but also offered free use of the plunge pools, saunas and heated pool area which I thought was a nice touch. The gym was also impressive - could have had some rowing machines, but all in all a great facility and I liked how they split the cardio away from the weights. Only downside is if you wanted to borrow the bikes to go outside the hotel grounds you had to pay - I thought this could have been included complimentary.

All in all, very impressed, and thought this place was more exclusive and high end than Le Touessrok.

Room Tip: Garden villas are fine - you lose privacy with the beach villas
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Eric M, Resident Manager at Maradiva Villas Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2013

Dear Crusoe79, Greetings from Maradiva Villas Resort and Spa!

To hear of your experience while staying with us is a pleasure as your suggestions in every area are very important in allowing us to improve our service for future visitors. As per exemple the Air Conditioned which has been fixed since March and its now fully operating.

I am delighted to know that you prefered our resort throughout your entire stay in Mauritius. We were pleased with the various aspects and amenities of our resort including the décor of the villas, restaurants, gym and Spa activities. We have taken note of the areas that you felt were below your expectations and have adjusted accordingly.

On behalf of the entire team, I wish to thank you for choosing Maradiva Mauritius for your holiday. I look forward to welcoming you back to Maradiva for your next holiday.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

This was a perfect villa. My husband and I have to thank the manager for his generosity after we moved here from the neighbouring hotel. I can only apologise that I did not write this review earlier, but after recently experiencing a bad hotel in England I realise that the great places deserve to be recognised.
Attentive staff, clean and wonderfully relaxed surroundings. Paradise that I would recommend without any hesitation. Made my 40th birthday even more special. We stayed here in June/July 2012 and loved the weather at that time of year - cool wind by day, slight chill in evening - perfect for our tastes.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Valued Guest,

I am thrilled that we made your 40th birthday even more special. On behalf of our team, I would like to thank you for offering your comments on our property. We continually work hard to give our guests only the best and it is with feedback such as yours that we are given reassurance that we are meeting the expectations of our guests.

Thank you once again for your stay with us .We look forward to welcoming you to Maradiva again for your next birthday or simply for holiday.

Reviewed April 6, 2013

Nice place, Friendly people and very helpfully but they fail to deliver against 5* expectations.
We spent 10 days and had plenty of occassions to become frustrated.
Just some examples:
- Communication was very difficult as it was Not Easy to find appropriate people.
- We ordered a shuttle which didn't show up.
- service in Cilantro restaurant appeared arrogant and overworked
- room was not made up until 2pm on 6 days (we left room at 0800pm for diving and came back at midday-nothing has happened....)
- house keeping was banging at sleeping room door after 1000pm
....
For a Place like this you would not expect any of these things.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JoachimT652
Reviewed April 6, 2013

We had a brilliant week long stay at the villa at Maradiva, with spectacularly maintained personal pool leading to the personal beach. What with the pristine White sand and the clear blue ocean. The mini club had our five year old hooked and the restaurants serve good food. However, the food remained the only week point of our trip.

The staff is extremely hospitable and yes its definitely a place you'd want to go back to!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family

On behalf of all at Maradiva Mauritius, I would like to thank you for sharing your experience with us and I am glad you were able to take home wonderful memories fromlong week end spent with your family. Your comments are a valuable tool for us to continue to improve our services for future guests.

We look forward to welcoming you to Maradiva again for your next holiday or long week end.

Reviewed April 6, 2013

Had a lovely, relaxing family holiday in March 2013 at Maradiva. We kinow the island well, having stayed at Le Saint Geran, Anahita Four Seasons and La Pirogue (as well as visited Lux Belle Mare and Le Tousserok). The hotel is a villa-only complex, in lovely-manicured gounds on a wonderful stretch of beack along Flic-en-flac. Once part of teh Taj, the hotel is now under independent management. We had a fantastic villa with a verandah overlooking the sea - could see the beach lying comfortably in our bed. Wonderful furnishings, lots of space, nice touches such as nespreso machine, i-pod docking station etc...Great outdoor pavilion and loungin area, which allowed us to enjoy the outdoors even during tropical showers. The atmosphere is extremely quiet, which is what we were looking for...families with older children may prefer a resort with more activities. Food was delicious, and in great variety (several dine-around options). The spa is one of the best I have ever visited. Free water activities - really enjoyed the snorkelling and the glass-bottom boat. The staff even whipped-up a tiny fishing rod for our three-year old! Service of extremely high standard (comparable to St Geran); Kids club somewhat lacking...also due to very few children actually visiting the hotel (mostly geared to couples and honeymooners). Overall, a great week. Would recommend for a very relaxing holiday.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank F_Pinto_London

Dear Guest,

Firstly, please accept our sincere appreciation for choosing Maradiva Villas Resort and Spa.

On behalf of the management team at Maradiva, we wish to thank you immensely for taking the time to write to us and to convey such gracious comments.

Your comments are not only a welcome endorsement of such belief, and a great testimony to associates’ professionalism and dedication, but will also serve as an added inspiration to consistently maintain the high standards you have experienced, and which are one of the trademarks of Maradiva.

Best regards

Reviewed April 2, 2013

Fabulous resort, with amazing pool and beach, every amenity you could imagine and some you couldn’t! The best part for us was our amazing room, its huge outdoor living area, huge bathroom, outdoor shower, big comfortable bed and our own plunge pool. All just a two minute walk from our second favourite thing, the amazing beach. After having to cancel our wedding last year, we decided we needed a consolation prize and this was it, a week at Maradiva. It was amazing, exactly what we needed and we are thinking of going back for our honeymoon. Everything about this resort is beautiful, the beach, the pool, the rooms, everything. All the staff were extremely friendly and helpful. I simply cannot fault it and I am not that easy to please.
I offer this advice to anyone looking at this hotel, book now, don’t worry about which room you get, they are all beautiful. There are no negatives and anyone who had any is just ‘nit picking’.
We found it difficult to leave our room, opting for using our own plunge pool and double day bed, lounging over a game of chess (provided) listening to music, ordering room service very often and waiting for the afternoon treats they came around with at about 5 every day, a selection of mini desserts that changed every day. I absolutely loved that touch. We did leave each morning for the great breakfasts included in our price and managed to try each restaurant the resort had to offer. There is plenty of dining selection to keep you occupied for a week. It is all to a good standard, although some dishes are far better than others. You can also get some the restaurant dishes to your room. You can also walk down the beach to local hotels and try there too if you wish.
You get free bottles of water in your room each morning and evening so you don’t need to buy any or worry about the cost of water as some other guests in other resorts do! There is a shop in walking/cycling distance that sells water, alcohol and other bits anyway.
We tried the spa, a few times, which was amazing, Balinese style with fantastic staff and treatments (100 euro average), its own pool area for lounging etc. We also tried many of the free water sports which were fantastic and suitable for complete novices like us.
Downside: It is an expensive resort but all resorts of this standard are; a meal for two would set you back at least approximately 200 euro for three courses and some drinks. Lunches maybe 50 to 100. We opted to dine in our room a lot; it offered a reasonable alternative and was incredibly romantic and a highlight of our trip. They bring the warm food first and come later with dessert if you want and clear up. We also stocked up on some wine and from the local shop as most were around the 50 euro mark on the menu and kept them in our mini bar which proved a great idea.
I found it difficult to choose between the all inclusive or breakfast only option and went for the later although overall I think they would probably work out the same, although you only get partial credit for the other (non-main) restaurant.
TIP:
Bring your own wine from the airport, there is also duty free as you land but wine bought locally was overpriced for what you got.
Get Reef shoes, they’re 20 euro a pair in the hotel so you might find some elsewhere cheaper. You need reef shoes to go into the water on the beach to protect from some dangerous sand fish (can’t remember the name!) It’s a much better peace of mind to wear them than not. This applies to all of Mauritius.
Don’t bother day tripping to the capital, in fact, don’t bother leaving the hotel.

Room Tip: Any, they're all good.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank wanderlustforever

Dear Guest,

It is my pleasure to know you were thoroughly pleased with our resort and that we were the perfect consolation prize after having to cancel your wedding last year.

On behalf of all at Maradiva, I would like to thank you for sharing your experience with us. Your comments are a valuable tool for us to continue to improve our services for future guests and your compliments will serve as added inspiration to our team.

I look forward to welcoming you again for your honeymoon.

Kind regards

Reviewed April 2, 2013

As each review is subjective and should be read in context, let me provide some background information:

I booked one of the two Presidential Villas (800 to be precise) and having paid what I considered to be a full price, I was going to compare Maradiva to some of the other excellent beach side resorts that I have had the good fortune to be able to visit namely; Trisara (Phuket), One & Only Reethi Rah (Maldives) and St. Regis Bali. I would have paid more at the Reethi Rah but less at Trisara and the St. Regis, hence no reason to make any concessions on account of cost.

Addiitonally, having read some of the reviews before my holiday, I did write to the manager (Mr. Molle) asking that he ensure that air-conditioning in the villa was working and that my villa was cleaned to very high standards as my family and I are very particular in this respect. I duly received a reply confirming that air-conditioning problems were solved and the head housekeeper would see to my villa.

This then brings me to the main point about Maradiva. The staff in all locations are very willing. You'll never be told no and someone will always try and do something for you. The problem is with the execution. Usually there is something lacking in the final outcome. This close but not quite perfect outcome is the recurring theme of my stay at Maradiva.

Here are some examples:

1. First night in my villa. Master bedroom air-conditioning did not work. Hardly slept 3 hours and had to call Housekeeping in the mornign (apparently a blower was changed).

But then on the second night the air-conditioning in the second room goes awol. A call to maintenance and at 11:00pm the air-conditioner was drained and began to cool in an hour.

The simple question would be why allow this to happen when fair warning was provided?

2. Similarly with the cleaning. As I write, my wife and I have killed one or two cockroaches in our villa every night. The first night was particularly ghastly as the cockroach had made its way into one of the bath towels and crawled out as my wife was reaching for the towel from the shower.

Housekeeping were informed, they came back and fumigated but it does not seem to work. Again no lack of effort - this has to be said - but just not the required result.

3. The same extends to the restaurants:

I dined in all 3 restaurants.

Teppanyaki was good - no complaints and I liked it so much, we are going there again tomorrow (our last night).

Cilantro (Fine dining Indian). Service started off with very well. Waiter knew who we were, drink preference and menus appeared sharpish. Then as more diners came in, I sensed both kitchen and waiters were overworked. Service slowed, Naan bread came a little underdone and we had to wait some considerable time for our bill.

Coast to Coast is the main restaurant and caters to the largest volume of guests. For this reason it always looks a little dishevelled to me. Floors not always swept, no conscious effort to get rid of the bugs on our table attracted by the light at night (one ended up in our glass).

I do find the mauritian birdlife very pretty, but I did not sign up to have breakfast with them. A flock of birds at the table next to us helping themselves to plates that had not been cleared up is just not hygenic for me. By all means dont throw away the food and give it to the birds, but do it discreetly in one of the gardens, not in the dining room. Others may find it cute but its not my preference.

Finally as the hotel offers half board, you get the distinct impression that the chef has had to dumb down his culinary skills to cook within a budget. The food in coast to coast is fair/good but not inspiring.

Once again plenty of effort/potential but not a truly deluxe outcome.

3. Villas

There is no faulting the infrastructure of the villa. Large bathrooms, well appointed (dodgy toiletries that appear to be the same brand/ingredients but different colours), comfortable beds.

The sitting room was also generous and having a kitchenette to store drinks and snacks was also an excellent idea.

The pool is large and heated and 3 steps from the beach.

All in all it an excellent villa as long as it can be kept cool and clean.

4. Beach

Long sandy beach and kept clean by the gardenining crew. Sea is not the pure blue that you see in magazine brochures and the Tamarin river tends to send some flotsam down your way. However, it's perfectly adequate for swimming.

Beach crew will give you two towels, two bottles of water and disappear for the rest of the day until closing time. No attention or cut / fruit / drink shots like at other resorts.

I did not mind as I like being left to my own devices, but others may find this to be an issue.

In conclusion. Maradiva has all the infrastructure (villas / beaches) to be a top notch resort. The staff are very willing and yet I would stop short of saying I would come back.

My preference at this point would be for the seamless service and sophisticated service and dining of the St. Regis or Four Seasons (the latter has some smart residences) at the expense of having a beautiful beach.

However, I will be looking at this forum over the next 12 months and should standards improve then I will be back, for with a bit of raising of standards, precision and execution, Maradiva could become an irresistable proposition.

At the moment, it has excellent potential but leaves me unfulfilled

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Sands Suites Resort & Spa
#1 of 18 in Flic En Flac
Sofitel Mauritius L'Imperial Resort & Spa
Four Seasons Resort Mauritius at Anahita

Been to Maradiva Villas Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!