After doing my usual research for best resorts to stay when I travel, I narrowed down to what I thought were the best resorts to stay in Mauritius (my first time by the way). These two were the Oberoi and Maradiva. Oberoi being closer to the city centre if we wanted to venture out and Maradiva more on the south in Flic en Flac area.
I stayed in Oberoi for 4 days 3 nights. I will write a separate review for this resort. On the last day, I went big game fishing with my wife and collected our luggages from the Oberoi before driving to the Maradiva. Upon arrival we were impressed with the reception. Way better than Oberoi. You then have your usual introduction by the greeters and walk you through your room. After we signed the check in documents and the receptionist left, I realized the room was a bit warm. It turned out the A/C was broken, for the whole resort! Coming from an 8 hour boat ride, my skin was burning and felt really uncomfortable in the room. And considering the amount I was paying, i would like to hope that I would be able to enjoy my stay. I called the receptionist several times asking when the A/C will be fixed. they said they will call back and give an update. They never called back so I kept calling them. Finally, I got a sense they wouldnt be able to fix the AC which turned out to be correct. They should have just told me so I can plan what to do. I requested to be moved to a neighboring hotel and to be shouldered by the hotel but they said we can't confirm until we talk to the accountants tomorrow. Make that conversation short, the night shift manager didn't handle the situation well which made my first night there even more horrible. We ended up staying at hilton next door until they can fix the AC the next day.
The following morning, we moved back to the Maradiva and had breakfast before returing to the room. As we were eating, the GM approached us and introduced himself. Summary, he apologized for the inconvenience and tried to make it up to. That was more than enough to get us back in good spirits. The professionalism, sincerity, and effort is one of the ways I judge a hotel. He passed with all 3 and made up for some of the more junior staff he had.
On to the resort and facilities. Maradiva is so much better than Oberoi. Far from Port Louis but nothing to do there anyway. If you plan to go to Mon Choisy in the north for some of the beaches and activities, then the distance by car would take about an hour and 20 minutes. I would just stick to the resort. City center is not exciting at all.
Pool design was a bit strange with rough materials used. Pool bar service was horrible. I had to stand up 3 times to ask for ice, a beer, and the check. Staff didnt know how to smile You knew they hated their job. Same with the staff at the breakfast buffet place.
Room was great. Own plunge pool but water smelled a bit. Some complaints was they give you a hundred keys for different doors. one for the main door. you need to use the key to lock it as well. one set for the patio door. one set for the mini bar door which they lock as it is situated by the plung pool. The floors in our villa were very noisy. Strange that we shared an ante room with another villa. don't know why they just didnt separate it. We could here him come back to his room banging his door in the evening. I had to tell the housekeepers the next day to keep it down as they banged the door every 3 minutes going in and out as they cleaned the room.
Internet horrible. Really slow then not working the rest of our stay.
Did I enjoy. Yes. Would I go back. maybe not. If I had to, i would probably stay there again because it was the best of the not so great.
HAd a better experience in Maldives. MAybe will check out Seychelles next time we are in the area.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Uniquely on the island, our luxury five-star resort features the discreet opulence of private villas for all our guests. Inspired by its Indian heritage, the Maradiva experience which includes an award winning Holistic spa, haute cuisine, and a private pool in the grounds of every villa, is defined by understated elegance and impeccable service. In a lush 27-acre setting with the turquoise waters of Tamarin Bay lapping our white sandy beach, the 65 villas at Maradiva are at the heart of a vibrant paradise, ideally situated for world-class golf, coral diving, big game fishing, and the island's beautiful national parks. At Maradiva, all our guests stay in the intimate harmony of their own private air- conditioned villas, with a butler available 24 hours a day. Our 49 luxury villas, 8 beach front villas, 6 exclusive villas and 2 Presidential villas each have their own private terrace, garden and infinity-edge pool, with the turquoise waters of the Indian Ocean right on the doorstep. For families or small groups, we also offer interconnecting villas. Guests looking for the ultimate peaceful hideaway can enjoy fine dining and many spa services in the privacy of their own villa. You can come to us, or we'll come to you. You choose. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Booking.com, Travelocity, Ctrip TA, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, TravelUp, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and Hotel.de so you can book your Maradiva Villas Resort and Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Maradiva Villas Hotel Flic En Flac
- Maradiva Hotel Flic En Flac
- Taj Exotica Mauritius
- Maradiva Villas Resort And Spa Mauritius/Flic En Flac