New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in Flic En Flac
ho chi minh
“Honeymoon in Maradiva”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

After doing my usual research for best resorts to stay when I travel, I narrowed down to what I thought were the best resorts to stay in Mauritius (my first time by the way). These two were the Oberoi and Maradiva. Oberoi being closer to the city centre if we wanted to venture out and Maradiva more on the south in Flic en Flac area.

I stayed in Oberoi for 4 days 3 nights. I will write a separate review for this resort. On the last day, I went big game fishing with my wife and collected our luggages from the Oberoi before driving to the Maradiva. Upon arrival we were impressed with the reception. Way better than Oberoi. You then have your usual introduction by the greeters and walk you through your room. After we signed the check in documents and the receptionist left, I realized the room was a bit warm. It turned out the A/C was broken, for the whole resort! Coming from an 8 hour boat ride, my skin was burning and felt really uncomfortable in the room. And considering the amount I was paying, i would like to hope that I would be able to enjoy my stay. I called the receptionist several times asking when the A/C will be fixed. they said they will call back and give an update. They never called back so I kept calling them. Finally, I got a sense they wouldnt be able to fix the AC which turned out to be correct. They should have just told me so I can plan what to do. I requested to be moved to a neighboring hotel and to be shouldered by the hotel but they said we can't confirm until we talk to the accountants tomorrow. Make that conversation short, the night shift manager didn't handle the situation well which made my first night there even more horrible. We ended up staying at hilton next door until they can fix the AC the next day.

The following morning, we moved back to the Maradiva and had breakfast before returing to the room. As we were eating, the GM approached us and introduced himself. Summary, he apologized for the inconvenience and tried to make it up to. That was more than enough to get us back in good spirits. The professionalism, sincerity, and effort is one of the ways I judge a hotel. He passed with all 3 and made up for some of the more junior staff he had.

On to the resort and facilities. Maradiva is so much better than Oberoi. Far from Port Louis but nothing to do there anyway. If you plan to go to Mon Choisy in the north for some of the beaches and activities, then the distance by car would take about an hour and 20 minutes. I would just stick to the resort. City center is not exciting at all.

Pool design was a bit strange with rough materials used. Pool bar service was horrible. I had to stand up 3 times to ask for ice, a beer, and the check. Staff didnt know how to smile You knew they hated their job. Same with the staff at the breakfast buffet place.

Room was great. Own plunge pool but water smelled a bit. Some complaints was they give you a hundred keys for different doors. one for the main door. you need to use the key to lock it as well. one set for the patio door. one set for the mini bar door which they lock as it is situated by the plung pool. The floors in our villa were very noisy. Strange that we shared an ante room with another villa. don't know why they just didnt separate it. We could here him come back to his room banging his door in the evening. I had to tell the housekeepers the next day to keep it down as they banged the door every 3 minutes going in and out as they cleaned the room.

Internet horrible. Really slow then not working the rest of our stay.

Did I enjoy. Yes. Would I go back. maybe not. If I had to, i would probably stay there again because it was the best of the not so great.

HAd a better experience in Maldives. MAybe will check out Seychelles next time we are in the area.

Room Tip: do not get the villas sharing an ante room!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
3 Thank Louis N

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013 via mobile

This is the first time I have written a review of somewhere and the only reason I thought about not doing is - do I really want to tell everyone else about such a lovely place - in case it's full when we would want to go back!
If you want a quiet place with relaxation and privacy - with great service but not obtrusive service - with enough space so that you don't feel crowded, great food and a chance to breathe again in a busy world - this is it!
We spent 10 days - it rained for maybe half of them and yet I would still say it was one of the nicest places/holidays we've had. We just wanted somewhere to recharge our batteries - this was perfect. I read and chilled and my husband water skied with a great guy called Christophe. When he wanted to try to get specific tv channels for watching an (apparently) vital football game or rugby they did everything they could to help and went the extra mile. On the beachfront we were so well looked after by Wessley and the rest of the guys - and the bar staff and restaurant staff were charming.
The villas are spread out enough that you never felt overlooked and could really feel secluded and the beach has more space than others in Mauritius we have been to.
Trying to think of ANY negatives - and all I can think of is that my husband moaned a bit about not being able to wear shorts for dinner (it's one of his obsessions - he feels he is on holiday then) but they weren't snooty about it - and he did wear flip-flops so felt OK about it!!!
In short - loved it and will go back

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

We picked Maradiva for our honeymoon and I am so glad we did!

As soon as I walked in I got the 'WOW' factor. Although we arrived late, right away the staff were so helpful and efficient with checking us in straight away.

When we arrived at the Villa, I was blown away. I knew our stay was going to be something very special. Everything was clean and neat and very spacious.

Throughout our stay we dealt with numerous members of the Maradiva team, including the beach crew, which made our time there very enjoyable especially by the attentive service of Wessley and the rest of the boys.

The Boat House team also never hesitated in taking us out on the boat or assisting us with other water activities.

The Japanese restaurant would have had to have been our favourite. The food was amazing, and again, the staff were so attentive.

Thanks again Maradiva
Mr & Mrs W

• Stayed February 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013 via mobile

Incredible service! Great on site facilities! Really enjoyed the tennis court and spa. The food was top notch. After staying there for ten days I wasn't sick of the food in the slightest... It really blew me away. The rooms are lovely we stayed in a villa with our own private swimming pool. The outdoor shower was a great touch. Tastefully decorated and very secure.
We got married here and the wedding planner was amazing! We didn't have a worry our whole stay. We did many day trips organised by maradiva which where great. The staff would happily help with any requests - champagne on the beach, dining in a tent on the beach, butler service breakfast/dinner in our villa. Highly recommend and would love to go again!

• Stayed July 2012
Port Elizabeth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

I have seen many resorts during our stay, but this 1 totally blow me over. The setting of villas is excellent. Can highly recommend this hotel to honeymoon couples. Everything you need is at your own personal villa, with food and drinks being serviced from the restaurants, open private beach infront of you or you can just relax in your own private swimming pool!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Centrino583
Zürich, Zurich, Switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

Note: The hotel's infrastructure is breath taking, this is just our view of the service.

We arrived at the hotel, the staff opened the car door and greeted us with: "Welcome Mr. von Rechenberg". My first thought was: "Exceeding service will be awaiting us". Unfortunately I was wrong. The service at Maradiva is very inconsistent. From excellent to embarrassing. Let's start with the great experiences: The GM greeted us upon arrival, the driver we rented for a day to discover the island was fantastic, one guy in the bar (I think his name was Stephan) was extraordinary. But we expected consistency in this kind of hotel.

Here is one example of inconsistency:
On the second day we want to the beach to meet an impudent waiter at the beach bar. I looked at the drinks menu and saw that they offer all the things they offer at the main bar. So I ordered a banana milkshake. He says that they only have strawberry and chocolate. Fine, strawberry it is, even though I had a banana milkshakes there before. My girlfriend orders a drink from the menu. He says they don't have it. She orders another drink from the menu. He says they dont have it. Wow. At this point I get upset and show him in the menu that they serve everything they serve at the main bar. He then leaves and comes back and says ok. We wait over 20 minutes to get our drinks. When he comes back he complains that he had to to walk all the way over to the main bar to get our drinks. Well guess what. I don't care. If we are in a hotel like this and I order something from the drinks menu it is not my problem how you organise it. It's not a special request. I don't want to think, I don't want to care and I certainly don't want excuse myself for ordering something from the standard menu. Yes, it might be just a detail and it's only a stupid drink, but hey, I'm on vacation and don't want to argue and I don't want the waiter to tell me they don't have certain drinks just because he has to walk over to the main bar. There were maybe 4 guests in total, it wasn't like he was super busy.

The service was inconsistent through out the whole week: At the breakfast you had to tell your room number 3 times every single time, but at dinner time another waiter greeted you by your last name. You get the most beautiful table in the restaurant on the your last night but they bring the wrong main courses. They organize you a friendly taxi driver, but they send you to the wrong location. You book a personal driver to discover the island, but the car is not available on the day it was confirmed "due to a technical problem".

Executive summary:
All in all we weren't impressed by the service we received in a hotel of this league. Part of the staff was excellent, but honestly the other part of the staff ruined it. We expect consistency.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
4 Thank Andrin-vR
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

We have just returned from 10 days at this wonderful resort. Private, charming and utterly wonderful in every respect. Amazing service, staff,excellent food, beautiful location.Nothing was ever a problem and everything requested executed with amazing efficiency.I have traveled to over 100 countries worldwide and have never been to a more charming destination. We will be back in May for another experience of this truly beautiful resort and island. Top points: Food , staff and quality in every respect anyone could even wish for.

Room Tip: All rooms are beautiful.We actually looked around several villas and they were all exactly the same...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SAH33
Eric M, Resident Manager at Maradiva Villas Resort and Spa, responded to this review, February 3, 2013
Greetings from Maradiva Villas Resort and Spa!

It is my pleasure to know that our hotel stands out the most among the properties you have visited worldwide. We are pleased to read that the privacy, the charme, the amazing service, our staff, our excellent food and the beautiful location maid your stay utterly wonderful in every respect.

On behalf of all at Maradiva Mauritius, I would like to thank you for sharing your experience with us and I am glad you were able to take home wonderful memories.

We look forward to welcoming you to Maradiva again next May.

Best regards,
LUX* Le Morne
#1 of 12 in Le Morne
5.0 of 5 stars 3,708 reviews
Sofitel Mauritius L'Imperial Resort & Spa

Been to Maradiva Villas Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!