My wife and I booked this hotel looking for a nice quiet relaxing place to stay. Our other choices were La Pirogue or Sugar Beach - both of which we found were rammed with noisy children. (My wife works with children every day, so likes to get away from them) We had a really relaxing quiet time, and felt looked after. Following a long flight via Dubai, we were met at the airport and quickly taken to our minibus and as we were the only ones going to that area, we set off straight away - our own private transport. On arrival at the hotel, we were given a cold towel and offered a welcome drink. We were taken straight up to our room which was nice and spacious with a balcony that looked out to sea - as they all do. There were always sunbeds available, either by the pool or on the beach. Wherever you camped out, the waiter would find you with a tray of cold drinks (slush) on a regular basis - all free. Every afternoon a room boy would leave shots of flavoured rum and a small snack in your room. In the evening, the bed would be turned down and a couple of chocolates left on your pillow.
The boathouse staff were very helpful, offering free tuition and advice on using the free watersports equipment (sailing, water skiing, wind surfing).
Evening meals seemed a little random, as some nights there was a buffet, others it was table d'hote and one night it was a mixture of both! Most of the food was good, and although i'm a fussy eater (apparently) I managed to find something to my liking every day.
We hired a car for a couple of days and went to Port Louis (where the driving is like the centre of Paris) saw the seven coloured earths and waterfalls, and also the 33 metre religious statue at Grand Bassin (though i'm not religious, it was interesting)
I went diving a few times and was well looked after (the dive school is at La Pirogue). I booked at the boathouse and was collected and delivered back to the hotel. You can get as involved as you want with the preparation of your gear, or you can just leave them to it.
We enjoyed our holiday and would return there, no matter what others say about it.
You can never please everybody!
We found everybody to be friendly
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sands Suites Resort & Spa is a 4 star deluxe all Suite hotel situated in Wolmar, on the west coast of Mauritius. With its 92 spacious suites, 3 restaurants, spa, entertainment facilities, fine sandy beach, crystal clear lagoon and unrivalled view across the Bay of Tamarin and Le Morne, this resort is the ideal hideaway for those looking for serenity, comfort and personalised service in an elegant setting and typical Mauritian architecture. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Priceline, Ctrip TA, TripOnline SA, TravelUp, Cheap Tickets, Hotwire, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Sands Suites Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Sands Hotel Flic En Flac
- Sands Hotel Flic En Flac
- Sands Resort Mauritius
- Sands Suites Resort & Spa Mauritius/Flic En Flac