“A wonderful place to unwind”

Sands Suites Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 18 Hotels in Flic En Flac
Reviewed August 16, 2013

Just returned from 17 days at this hotel. From the day we arrived to the day we left the service was fantastic. Although the hotel is someway out of the main town there is no real need to leave the hotel so we rarely did! This is the perfect place to relax, unwind and soak up the sun. We will certainly return to this place.

Room Tip: We asked for a room on the top floor, but think that all the rooms have views of the ocean.

Reviewed August 14, 2013

We had a good time overall at The Sands. The staff were very friendly indeed, some above the call of duty. There was a slight hick-up at check-in, as we got two single beds rather than one king, but this was swiftly sorted and we got a new room - whilst sipping sparkling whine during the brief wait.

The pool and beach area are great, the bar is very good. If you come to relax and sit by the beach, this will be good for you here - all beaches are public access as well, so you can walk from here along the other hotels and back without issues.

The food is OK for a hotel, we preferred the food generally outside the resort (a great Indian restaurant called Happy Rajah in Quatres Bonnes for example, 20m away by car)- but that was the same for food we had at other hotels nearby, it is just more fun in the "real Mauritius", so perhaos just something very different....

Mirroring comments by others, the rooms are indeed a tad dated, but they are enormously spacious, and all overlook the sea. They are cleaned well, and we had a good sleep every night. The cleaning staff were extremely friendly as well, very sweet.

Special thanks to the extremely lovely security lady at the front too, and a few of the bar staff, who really were truly friendly as well.

Note: Spa was under refurbishment, so not given a grade for this - was allowed to use spa at hotel next door, so no issue - that spa was absolutely fantastic though...

Overall we really enjoyed our stay, and very much loved Mauritius, I would recommend the island any day, and this hotel is good value for money - friends stayed close by (Hilton, Sugar Beach), and these cost them a lot more for better fitted but much smaller rooms and bigger overall resorts. Personally I preferred the slightly smaller resort in the end, and saving the money to spend as I please outside the resort....

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank StephanJudge
Reviewed August 14, 2013

I booked the hotel at the Mauritius airport and was very skeptical about the resort. They blew me away with their service. Exceptional service, nice food, nice and clean rooms. Clean swimming pool, nice water activities. No hassles. A perfect resort for relaxing without any stress. One think which I want to highlight is that whenever a hotel staff came to my room for service they greeted me with some chocolates. Very impresses with the personalized service. Everybody knew me by my name at reception. I would recommend this resort to anyone who is going for holiday to Mauritius.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We picked the sands hotel for our honeymoon after some friends recommended it after a recent stay. We couldn't have been happier.

From the moment we arrived we were blown away by the service, the hotel, the grounds and general atmosphere.

The staff were waiting for us, took our bags and walked us to our room. They showed us around the lush green gardens and stunning hotel grounds pointing out everything we might need during our stay. The hotel itself isn't too big with around 90 rooms; so wherever you were it isn't a long walk to any of the amenities.

All of the rooms are sea view with a balcony overlooking the white sandy beach. We got to our room and because our rep had advised it was our honeymoon they had thrown in some extras for us. A bottle of champagne on ice, a fruit platter, complimentary drinks on arrival, and petals around our room - it was the little touches that made it extra special.

The room itself was huge – we had a super king size bed, a seating area with a comfy couch, a big TV, a reasonably priced minibar. Huge bathroom with separate shower, his & hers sinks, large bath and a massive walk in wardrobe with a huge amount of storage space. It was immaculately cleaned every day and turned down every night. You could even ask the hotel when you wanted them to come and clean your room and it was stuck to – we chose the times when we would be at the pool to have it cleaned and out for tea when it was turned down. Again the little things that make a huge difference.

The cleanliness of our room is echoed around the hotel with ground staff constantly making sure the hotel is at its best and cleaning staff making sure every area of the hotel is pristine. It was lovely to walk around the hotel from the beach to the car park and it was immaculate front to back.

Throughout our stay a few things stood out to us that made it one of the best Hotels that we have stayed at. The main point being the staff. Attentive, friendly, honest, keen - they were amazing. From the lovely Nicole at breakfast who everyday asked how our day was, what we had planned, how our stay was. She was brilliant - right through to the night staff. They literally couldn't do enough for you, nothing was too much trouble and none of it was done with the aim for a tip. Having been around the world a fair bit this makes a huge difference.

What else for the hotel - food - breakfast was a buffet of amazing choice and variety? Although the actual variety of food did not change - the amount was enough you didn't have to repeat yourself every day. Cereals, meats, cheeses, pastries, croissants, sausages, bacon eggs, toast, yoghurts, the list went on and on. The particular favourites were the made to order omelettes with various fillings but the best part was freshly made Belgian waffles.

Lunch - our lunches were spent poolside with the staff coming round and asking if we wanted any drinks or food. We ordered of the dolphin menu every day. We tried a lot off the menu but the Tuna sandwich and club sandwich were to die for. Made fresh every time. The best bit was the portion size. We ordered 1 sandwich each on the first day and we couldn't finish it - the portion was massive. The next day we decided to split one - The pool staff even arranged for it to be plated on separate plates for us to ensure we both got enough. Nothing was too much trouble.

Tea - We ate most nights in the tamarind terrace which is the normal restaurant included with the half board package. Every night had a different theme of food with tastes from around the world. There is something for everyone every night - there might be things you don't like but there will always be something for everyone. There was so much on offer and everything was cooked to perfection - My wife isn’t the most adventurous with food but gave most foods a go and we surprised ourselves. Our favourites were the smoked marlin, Octopus curry, BBQ ribs and the pasta (freshly made in front of you). The staff at night again were brilliant - made sure you had a drink, were happy with the food, pushed your seat in, cleared the table as you went for a different course. Just brilliant - the staff even got to learn our room number (other guests commented the same) so a few days into the holiday we didn’t even have to give them our details.

We also ate the spices restaurant which is the top restaurant at the hotel - it was 100% worth the extra money to eat here. I would say it was one of the best meals I have ever had. It was perfect a la carte food. There is a lot to offer from lobster, wild boar, racks of lamb – each cooked by a superb chef. It also offers comfy seating, candlelit tables, silver service and a beautiful view (although even the tamarind overlooks the pool & the sea).

Because it was our honeymoon we got a complimentary meal at the pink peppercorn and chose to upgrade to have it on the beach. This was a perfect end to our honeymoon. The Staff set a table out on the beach with a path led by candles and had a lovely meal just the two of us. It was perfect.
The location of the hotel is at the far end of Flic en Flac – the town centre can be busy with locals and tourists with some local shops such as a spar and other shops - but the sands is at the other end of the road, its quiet & serene. You are far enough away to escape the town centre but close enough that a cheap taxi ride (available directly outside the hotel) or a bike hire ride is only 20 minutes down a flat and easy to bike route. The hotel is at the end of the beach so it’s quiet and only peoples from the hotel use it but there is so much space you will never feel cramped. The beach has security guards as well and only licensed vendors which are few and far between allowed so you won’t feel harassed. Even when a vendor does appear from time to time they are lovely and friendly and a simple no and they move down the beach. The hotel does everything to make it quiet, relaxed and comfortable for all its guests.

We decided that we wanted to do some excursions and the hotel can help arrange anything – although the hotel doesn’t offer them directly they can help you book anything from Scuba diving, water sports, safari trips to a nature park or trips to the capital. We decided we wanted to book a car so approached the concierge – the gentleman knew the cost of car hire (which is very cheap £50 for 24 hours of a small car) rang the car company for us and arranged for us to pick it up at the hotel entrance the next day. Nothing was too much trouble – a few days later they organised a taxi for 4 hours where it took us to Port Louis and waited for us to be finished. They will help you make the holiday exactly what you want it to be – whether it’s lazy days by the pool or out and about.
As for value we have heard people say that the hotel was expensive – drinks were a little on the pricey side but it is what we expected to pay in a hotel. The prices aren’t too dissimilar to general UK prices but when you compare it to local restaurants & shops the price is higher. As for value for money overall we couldn’t be happier – we wanted to have a perfect honeymoon and the sands delivered that for us. We can’t say how happy we were with the hotel in every aspect, the staff from the cleaners, bar staff, waiters & right up to Patrick the hotel manager. Everyone was there to make you feel like you were having a 5 star holiday – and they did that.
I would highly recommend anyone to stay here – there is a reason it’s the number 1 hotel on trip advisor and it is worth that title. Thank you to everyone at the hotel. We have often said in other hotels “it’s nice and we would come back” but rarely do – this is one place we will 100% be coming back to.

Room Tip: All the rooms are identical as described in my review - the only difference is the ocean suite I bel...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BU7L3R
Reviewed August 11, 2013

During our honeymoon we stayed one week at this resort.
In total they have approximately 90 rooms which is ideal. The property is not too large, you have short ways and it is not too crowded. We enjoyed the silent atmosphere.
Our room was very spacious and clean. The entire facility is very well-kept.
All staff members are very friendly and attentive. Guest relations is doing a great job, there always is a person you can contact in case you need any assistance. Upon arrival the check-in procedure is very personal and relaxing.
We had breakfast and dinner at the hotel.
It is tasty and fresh. Starters and desserts were better than the main courses. Regional cuisine and the Asian buffet were just great.
For couples they offer romantic dinner at the beach. They made very effort to do something special. We really enjoyed it.
In the evenings there was decent live music every day. It was very good, danceable and ended at 10 pm, so that night's rest was not disturbed.
The hotel was just renovating the Spa but we were allowed to use the one at the adjacent Maradiva hotel which was very good (we only used the sauna).
Flic en Flac is not within walking distance, you better take a taxi or the bus. The next bus station is about 12 minutes away. From there you can also reach Port Louis within one hour.

1  Thank Passepartout_2011
Reviewed August 6, 2013

Before Mauritius we travelled in South Africa, Zimbabwe and Zambia. All hotels there were excellent and service went above and beyond for what was required; and so was the food. However, Mauritius was quite the opposite. I'll start by stating the good points first...
- The Sous Chef, F&B and assistant F&B manager were sensational. They always went the extra mile to maintain a high level of customer service whilst also being able to speak the English language quite well.
- The pool and beach are quite nice.
- The Spices Restaurant was sensational in both quality of food and service. Expensive but worth it.
- Watersports are free which is good.
- Availability for late check out was good. (4pm checkout)
- Taxi driver that was pre-arranged with hotel was on time and professional, courteous and had great service.
Ok the NOT so good points...
- Upon check-in (5:30 pm) was greeted at front of hotel by porters and Guest relations staff. Porters didn't seem happy. Guest relations staff informed us that the gym and massage centre are closed and we have to travel to the sister hotel to have access to those facilities throughout our stay. We were asked if we wanted some complimentary welcome drinks which was agreed on and where informed that those drinks would arrive at our room shortly. Upon arriving at the room we were advised that we had to fill in a guest registration card in the room and the staff member needed to sight our passports and required our outgoing flight details. I thought this was quite bizarre and in all my travelling around the world I have never been forced to show my Passport and itinerary information at the hotel! That's something you would expect at customs. No big deal just an inconvenience when all you want to do is get settled in your room and relax, not having to rummage through bags to find all this information again. After 20 mins drinks still didn't arrive so we decided to go to reception and get the wifi passes instead to pass the time. Arrived back in room and waited a further 10 min and still no drinks. I rang reception and said we have been out of the room and were wondering if we have missed our drinks. Eventually they turned up. I understand they are free and I am grateful, however it shows a lack of service and professionalism.
- Room was average. Mini was poor with what looked like 'old' bottles (three) of french spirits and a champagne and 2 beers. No basic spirits like vodka, scotch, gin, unlike every other hotel we stayed in on our trip. Selection was poor. Bathroom was outdated and had extensive mould in grout; not very appealing at all. Pillows were most uncomfortable and there is no pillow menu so the assumption is you can't get any 'better' pillows. Also no spare pillows were to be found. Sleep was not so comfortable as a result. TV had 1 - 2 English speaking channels and the rest were all in French! Even The Simpsons was in French!!
- The location isn't as good as The Hilton and Sofitel and others on the WEST facing part of the island that is sheltered by the winds. This is due to the predominate wind direction being NNE to E. The weather statistics show this and as a result doesn't make the beach or pool experience enjoyable and the wind is quite often 10 knots gusting to 20 knots (18km/hr gusting to 37 km/hr). Quite cool especially when coming out of the water or trying to get some sun and sand sometimes gets in your eyes and even rain shower some distance away to the East is still affecting your experience as you get some of the rain drops on you as well. Being super critical however this is the fact. As a result of the wind we couldn't undertake any of the watersports activity. This combined with poor weather really doesn't leave much to do at the resort except sit in your room!
- Service on the beach was poor as no one came to ask me if I wanted any food/drink. I had to get up and ask a nearby boat activity attendant to get a waiter over to serve me as I could not see him, nor did I understand the 'protocol'.
- Beach towel deposit was 4000 MUR (about $150 AUD). Pretty expensive considering the towels probably cost about 50 MUR to purchase! This showed up on the account that was given to us the night before we checked out. This was also some what confusing as we questioned reception staff as to why are we receiving a bill when we haven't checked out yet nor returned our beach towels yet as we envisage using them the following day. All t0o confusing and unnecessary paperwork. We were also charged another nights stay by mistake which was poor attention to detail.
- We were rung up by reception staff a few times relating to our booking for the Spices restaurant that was to be in 24 hours time. I found this phone call unnecessary and interrupting my time of quiet enjoyment in my room. The Guest Services attendant that rang me said to me that she will see me at dinner that night to confirm my booking for the Spices restaurant for the following day. I stressed to her that our decision to have dinner at the restaurant will be determined as soon as I know when I can check out which she couldn't tell me until the final day. I didn't appreciate being rushed harassed about such a minute detail over my dinner 24 hours before the next dinner and said to her I will just tell you in the morning the next day when you tell me what time I can check out! I felt like I was on boot camp! Very pushy and rude.
- The location of the resort leaves much to be desired but its not so much the resort its the island more so. The reason for this is that shopping malls, waterfront, etc is so far away that it makes it almost impracticable to get there, let alone dangerous if you take a wrong turn! Not much to see and do on the island especially if you've come from Africa like we did and saw animals, safaris, etc there. There is no "main street" nearby where you can walk to bars, restaurants, night life etc, unlike Waikiki in Hawaii.
All in all pretty average stay and won't recommend Mauritius as whole. I would suggest placed such as the Greek Islands, Hawaii, Fiji, Whitsunday Islands (Australia), Bali, to name a few. Long way to travel from Australia or Europe to see something you can experience better closer to home.

Room Tip: Don't get ground floor. Request rooms away from families and/or groups. Wasn't an issue for...
1  Thank gypo g
Reviewed August 2, 2013

We stayed at Sands Resort with my wife and two teenager sons for over two weeks in July 2013. Despite all positive reviews the resort exceeded our expectations. It has superb location, right on the beach, comfortable big rooms (ground floor is very cool - few steps out of your balcony and you are on the sand) and most impressive a very, very friendly staff. From the very beginning when we arrived in the morning they treated us with breakfast and made effort to get us a room as early as possible. Very attentive staff in the restaurants and bars made our meals special. The dinner buffet changes 7 days a week, after a while it is good to book a table in the restaurant Spices for some a la carte delicacies, go for the Saturday Lobster Grill on the beach if you like it. Impressive water sports with a variety of activities including windsurfing, snorkeling and waterskiing. Bike tours, afternoon volleyball matches and abs/ bump gym classes (with Nicholas!) helped us staying active. It has right mix of activities, evening music every day with providing a level of privacy and tranquility (ask for the Tamarin wing if you like it more quiet). A very nice Spa with a range of massages and treatments. Wi-fi available in all places though very, very slow. We signed for both the North and the South day private trips. The North one was a big disappointment (avoid the outlets - disappointing) - except for The Botanical Gardens, the South was great - with crocodile/ giant tortoise farm being the highlight, don't miss the tea factory/ tasting. We used to spend summer holidays in Caribbean (St Lucia and Barbados) and now we will be tempted to get back to The Sands. Strongly recommended!

Room Tip: Ground floor very convenient, Tamarin wing is more quiet, private though few steps further from the...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
The Oberoi, Mauritius
The Oberoi, Mauritius
#1 of 8 in Pointe Aux Piments
Trou aux Biches Beachcomber Golf Resort & Spa

Been to Sands Suites Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!