“Perfekt place for a relaxing and quiet vacation.”

Sands Suites Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 18 Hotels in Flic En Flac
“Perfekt place for a relaxing and quiet vacation.”
Reviewed January 1, 2013

We spent part of our Mauritius holiday at the Sands Resort in Flic en Flac. The Hotel, location and staff made our stay just perfect, and we will not hezitate to book the same resort for our next stay in Mauritius.
The resort offers a lot of activities, such as watersports, scuba diving etc, and if you prefer just to live some lazy days at the beach or pool, this is also the place to be.

Kari & Kurt
From Norway

• Stayed December 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (335)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Estoril, Portugal
Reviewed December 27, 2012

My wife, our two children (aged 2 & 5) and I just came back from a wonderful holiday in Mauritius at the Sands Resort & Spa. We chose the Sands given the excellent reviews it got on tripadvisor and were not disappointed by our choice. The Sands is one of the best hotels we have stayed in (better than many 5 stars!); the atmosphere is really great with a welcoming staff and beautiful facilities and gardens. From our arrival to our departure the staff made us feel at home, they were very attentive to the fact that we had two young children. When we first checked in our room, there were two home made giant cookies awaiting with the children's names and every night they made sure that the children had their special desserts. On the day of our departure we could also keep our room until the evening free of charge given the fact we had an evening flight which was really appreciated. We chose the 'half board' package for our stay and I have to say that this was also very good. The breakfast buffet is great -lot's of choice- and the dinner buffet is also good. Every night the buffet's theme changes with a wide choice of starters, main courses and desserts. The staff are always happy to help with the children and if you can't find something from the large buffet for the children they will happily prepare them something else. Overall we thought the food was really good and varied. We were also delighted about the accomodation. The ground floor room was a really good choice, spacious and comfortable (satellite TV, good air conditionning,....) with a large bathroom (shower & bath tub) and terrasse - we were on the Tamarin side of the hotel which is quiet and has beautiful views on the garden and beach. The hotel's pool is also fantastic, we usually ended our day there. The beach is one of the best we saw in Mauritius, no currents (which is not the case for many beaches), pristine and warm water and beautiful sand. It goes on and on until the village on Flic en Flac and I strongly recommend a walk along the beach. The snorkling is also fantastic and there are plenty of fun activities organised by the hotel many of which are free (ie pedalo boats, glass bottom boat trip, sporting activities....). One thing to bear in mind: bring some swimming shoes to avoid unpleasant cuts as there are a lot corals in the water (but this is also why the snorkling is good!). On the Friday evening I recommend the colourful sega dance show on the beach front which is a lot of fun. The sunsets are also breathtaking. The hotel is very conveniently located and the concierge will provide good advice and organize excursions and activities. Flic en Flac is the small village located nearby the hotel (5min by taxi) with shops including a supermarket and restaurants and a very nice beach as well. All in all I strongly recommend the Sands Resort & Spa. We have already decided that we will come back!

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms are a very good choice for families
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Johan P
Bothwell, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 21, 2012

Sands is the best of the 4 locations we have visited in the past 4 years, in terms of peace and serenity, ambience, room quality, natural beauty of the island, staff friendliness, spa, service and value for money. Definitely a 4* plus. We ate on the beach one night which was just sublime ! The quality of the food In Spices was exceptional. The variety of the food in Tamarind was good, my tip would be to be there by 7pm. After this some of the choice has start to disappear and it can get a little cold, as previous diners have left hot plates open. Thats not to be negative of it, its a beautiful setting and the choice and tastes are fab !! Visited the spa once and there little touches, ginger and lemon juice before the treatment and tea after just gave it the edge on other spa's I've visited on holiday. The staff were so friendly. The welcome bath supplements just went that bit extra from the ordinary welcome glass of bubbles. A truly exceptional resort that we will definitely visit again !!! Well done Sands :))

Room Tip: They are all in a lovely setting !
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank EileenGLivingston
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed December 20, 2012

So this is another one of those honeymoon reviews. Long story short. The hotel is excellent, the service is excellent (beyond most 5 star hotels I have stayed at). The food is good and varied. The rooms are big and clean and the staff go above and beyond to make your stay a good one.

Value for money is decent, although extra meals/wine hold high european prices.

I would only recommend this hotel for couples on a romantic vacation. Its to loveydovey for singles and families.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed December 19, 2012

My Husband and I stayed 4 nights at the Sands Resort. It was fantastic the attention to detail with the rooms was what you would expect. The option of free activities was impressive and very well organised couldn't have asked for more. We had a room next to us that was being re-done, but the managers and staff did everything they could to make our stay fantastic, They even gave us a special dinner on the beach. All the buffet meals we had were lovely cant wait to go back!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 19, 2012

We spent a week at The sands with our little child (5 months old)and we received a top class service. All the people in the resort is absolutely fantastic and we had a great holiday. The swimming pool was perfect and the beach was very clean and well equipped. We'll probably come back next winter!!!!

• Stayed December 2012
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed December 19, 2012

This was my first visit to Mauritius and not the usual holiday location for Australians I would think. I was delayed in arriving by three days but the hotel was wonderful in that, while I was committed to paying for the unused nights, they upgraded me to a two bedroom suite on the beach. The room was unbelievably nice with full size balcony, lounge room, dining room for six, enormous ensuite and large comfy bed. I was very appreciative for their kindess.

The location of the resort is good, at the end of a long white sandy beach in an area called Flic-en-Flac. There were a number of five star resorts up the beach incluidng the very luxurious Hilton and Sofitel resorts and the famous Sugar Beach Resort. I was very happy with the resort and there is a good variety of restaurants and bars. The infinity pool is very nice.

The vasy majority of the guests seemed to be elderly French and Germans. At times I felt that not speaking French was a distinct disadvantage as most of the staff were reluctant to converse in English and I often felt the service offered to the French guests was superior. This is not a big deal.

I really didn't get to see much of Mauritius as I was only there for 4 days but that was enough. Mauritius is very nice but as an Australian I think I prefer the beach resorts of South East Asia and Hawaii as well as the Great Barrier Reef. I speaking with some other efguests it seems there are many other areas on the island worth visiting and perhaps one day I will return. I flew with Air Mauritius return from Johannesburg and they were fine.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
#1 of 8 in Pointe Aux Piments
Maradiva Villas Resort and Spa
Maradiva Villas Resort and Spa
#3 of 18 in Flic En Flac

Been to Sands Suites Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!