“Brilliant”

La Pirogue - Swim with the Dolphins
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Dolphin swimming can be done all year round between 7h00 till 8h30. It is, for the nature lovers, the most existing experience on the island. Early morning the dolphins will be seen playing in the Black River or Tamarin bay till around 10h30, they will then swim along the reef to the open sea where they will work as a team to harvest fish schools. Both the spinner and bottlenose dolphins can be observed.
Reviewed June 13, 2014

This was one of the highlights of our holiday, it was that good we did it 3 times. The staff were helpful and were very respectful of the dolphins.
We swam with a pod of about 60, amazing.

1  Thank SJWLAW

Reviewed June 8, 2014

I decided to book this trip as I always have a love of dolphins and as I have never swam with them in the wild (8 times in captivity), I thought why not!
The price was £30! A real bargain compared to captive dolphin swims which start at around £60!
The small speedboat was clean and punctual for pick up. They have snorkelling equipment on board but no lifejackets (I'm sure they could get them) The boat ride took between 10-15 minutes to find the dolphins. I was expecting maybe 5-10 dolphins (Spinner dolphins are the most common around the area and a lot smaller than the bottlenose dolphins) I was wrong...My first visit, myself and another guy were surrounded by about 30 dolphins...This is something I cannot describe to you as it was too amazing. Loads of mothers and calves in this pod and you can hear them whistling underwater. They come pretty close too and you can see all their marking. We stayed in the water for about 45 minutes to an hour. I would certainly recommend this trip to people who can snorkel well as dolphins can be a little away from the boat.
On the second and third trip, the pod was so much bigger! Dolphins were everywhere...from between 75-100 but sadly more boats from other trips were around them...It was a little bit crowded but the dolphins really didn't mind because they kept circling around the snorkelers. If you don't like snorkelling, don't worry, dolphins can be seen from the boat...They jump and spin (hence the name spinner dolphins) which provides great entertainment. It does require an early start but it is worth every penny and must bring a camera (pref underwater)

2  Thank tegzidoll
Reviewed January 2, 2014

So we booked to swim with the dolphins at the hotel and it worked out to be around £50/£60 for 2 adults. Our 2 year old was aloud to come along on the boat too and they didn't charge for her.
It's an early morning start, starting at 6.30/ 7am but definately worth it, the earlier you go and get out to the dolphins the more boats you miss as come 8am it gets very busy with boats.
We went down to Tamarin Bay and there were lots of Dolphins there, you need to be comfortable swimming in the sea and snorkelling especially as the best action is under water.
Wonderful experience

2  Thank Helen C
Reviewed November 19, 2013

We swam with dolphins on the beach of Flic en Flac, in the beginning it seemed that it would be an easy adventure, but as they were in natural habitat, and had many boats trying to count them, the dolphins were swimming very fast and skittish. You must be good and have swimming practice swimming with snorkel, but it is very rewarding. I could not but touch the dolphins swam very close, it was very nice

2  Thank BrunoFerreira90
Reviewed January 12, 2013

Amazing experience to swim with dozens of dolphins in the wild in the bay. Its a workout to try to keep up with them in the water but a once in a lifetime experience you will never forget!

2  Thank joejhartzell