We have just returned from a wonderful relaxing week at La Pirogue. As I was rather stressed out, I needed a week to totally unwind. This hotel was certainly the right choice. One has the option to utilize the neighbouring Sugar Beach facilities. While we walked around Sugar Beach on our first day, we did not feel the need to leave La Pirogue again.
The evening entertainment is awesome. The band and dancers are talented and slick. We looked forward to every evening’s offering. The food at the main restaurant Thatches is excellent. I must particularly compliment the pastry and desert chefs. At most restaurants, these delights look lovely but don’t deliver to the taste buds. Every single pastry and desert that we tasted at La Pirogue was fantastic! Our evening waiter Daby was such a gracious and pleasant man and the service we received from him was top notch. The 4 cheese pizza at the Coconut Cafe for lunch is a must and the Beach Bar overlooking the beach offers an adequate lunch menu.
La Pirogue has the most amazing swimming pool I have ever seen. It is a true “infinity” pool with lounger areas nested both around and within the pool itself. There is a slide which both kids and adults enjoy. There is a Jacuzzi for adults only within the body of the main pool too. La Pirogue has an array of free water sports available as well as some pay options. We found the free ones sufficed.
Having been to Mauritius 5 times, my personal view is that the Flic en Flac area is the nicest area to go to. The reef is far out and accordingly provides a large expanse of calm water to swim and snorkel in. La Pirogue has a spectacular view from its natural wide soft sandy beach, across to Tamarin Bay and on to the Morne Peninsula. I would recommend booking a catamaran trip via the La Pirogue desk. It is affordable and the catamaran is a quality one. One is served endless drinks, lobster, prawns etc. on board and if you are lucky like we were you get to see dolphins on either side of the boat. Flic en Flac itself has supermarkets, clothing shops and an array of restaurants to choose from. The carnival was on while we were there and a Brazilian team of entertainers were at La Pirogue rehearsing, an added benefit!
La Pirogue’s accommodation albeit spotlessly clean, is admittedly a bit tired and old fashioned. It needs a makeover. On arrival our TV remote did not work, we had luke warm water and the shower was broken (button to convert between shower and rinse unit did not work). We did complain, but only the TV remote was fixed. Despite these few inconveniences, we would not have wished for an alternative resort and really hope to go back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A celebrated hotel in Mauritius, La Pirogue Resort and Spa offers authentic and comfortable Mauritian bungalows nestled in the heart of the vast 14-hectare coconut plantation bordering the white sandy beach. The delightfully relaxed atmosphere as well as the generosity and attention of the staff have made the reputation of this warm and friendly hotel beyond compare. Beyond its heavenly setting with its extraordinary sunsets, La Pirogue offers a multitude of land and water activities to enable children and adults to enjoy their stay in Mauritius. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your La Pirogue Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- La Pirogue Hotel Flic En Flac
- La Pirogue Hotel Wolmar
- La Pirogue Wolmar
- La Pirogue Mauritius
- La Pirogue Resort & Spa Mauritius/Flic En Flac