“Best Mauritian four star hotel”

La Pirogue Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 18 Hotels in Flic En Flac
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Best Mauritian four star hotel”
Reviewed July 2, 2012

We have just returned from a wonderful relaxing week at La Pirogue. As I was rather stressed out, I needed a week to totally unwind. This hotel was certainly the right choice. One has the option to utilize the neighbouring Sugar Beach facilities. While we walked around Sugar Beach on our first day, we did not feel the need to leave La Pirogue again.
The evening entertainment is awesome. The band and dancers are talented and slick. We looked forward to every evening’s offering. The food at the main restaurant Thatches is excellent. I must particularly compliment the pastry and desert chefs. At most restaurants, these delights look lovely but don’t deliver to the taste buds. Every single pastry and desert that we tasted at La Pirogue was fantastic! Our evening waiter Daby was such a gracious and pleasant man and the service we received from him was top notch. The 4 cheese pizza at the Coconut Cafe for lunch is a must and the Beach Bar overlooking the beach offers an adequate lunch menu.
La Pirogue has the most amazing swimming pool I have ever seen. It is a true “infinity” pool with lounger areas nested both around and within the pool itself. There is a slide which both kids and adults enjoy. There is a Jacuzzi for adults only within the body of the main pool too. La Pirogue has an array of free water sports available as well as some pay options. We found the free ones sufficed.
Having been to Mauritius 5 times, my personal view is that the Flic en Flac area is the nicest area to go to. The reef is far out and accordingly provides a large expanse of calm water to swim and snorkel in. La Pirogue has a spectacular view from its natural wide soft sandy beach, across to Tamarin Bay and on to the Morne Peninsula. I would recommend booking a catamaran trip via the La Pirogue desk. It is affordable and the catamaran is a quality one. One is served endless drinks, lobster, prawns etc. on board and if you are lucky like we were you get to see dolphins on either side of the boat. Flic en Flac itself has supermarkets, clothing shops and an array of restaurants to choose from. The carnival was on while we were there and a Brazilian team of entertainers were at La Pirogue rehearsing, an added benefit!
La Pirogue’s accommodation albeit spotlessly clean, is admittedly a bit tired and old fashioned. It needs a makeover. On arrival our TV remote did not work, we had luke warm water and the shower was broken (button to convert between shower and rinse unit did not work). We did complain, but only the TV remote was fixed. Despite these few inconveniences, we would not have wished for an alternative resort and really hope to go back.

Room Tip: If you want beach views, choose a superior room (slightly more expensive). Rooms on the south side a...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank RosB__11

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Wimborne Minster, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 20, 2012

Exceptional in every way. The staff couldn't do enough for you. The buffet at the main restaurant was varied and of very good quality. The atmosphere was friendly and probably above all, the entire week was very relaxing - could not have asked for more!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
5 Thank Karen211
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 18, 2012

My boyfriend and I went to Mauritius and stayed at this lovely hotel in May. We received a warm reception when we arrived and throughout our whole stay the service was excellent. The beach is beautiful and there was never a shortage of deckchairs.

The main restaurant offers a buffet for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The food was of a high standard and there was always something for everyone.

We really liked our room as it was close to the pool and main restaurant. The rooms are of a good size and very clean. We had a turn down service every night and if you leave a tip they will surprise you with a beautiful design they make with the towels.

There are not much around the hotel only a few shops, but if you rent a car there is a few South African restaurants not too far away. I can highly recommend the Spur. Great burgers!!! Don't use anything from the mini bar as its like most mini bars very expensive. The shop a few minutes from the hotel if you turn left out of the main entrance is very cheap.

The hotel has a great spa you can use free of charge, but you need to book a slot. It was pretty quiet and we were always alone when we used it.

There are also kayacks, snorkling gear and sailboats you can use free of charge. We also went out on the boat to do some snorkling near the reef which was definitely worth it.

We hired a driver for half a day and saw most of the south of the island. This cost us 3000 RP.

Enjoy!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank mripsold
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 18, 2012

I stayed at this hotel toward the end of May as part of a larger group attending a work convention. I have attended a number of these types of things before, generally quite good but always a little scripted really. Staying here though left me feeling much more relaxed. I attribute this to a combination of very friendly staff combined with everything been set in quite natural surroundings. I normally end up staying in big hotel buildings, but here it was discrete huts darted about with palm trees and grass areas. Getting to the beach was always a short walk and overall lots to do, including lots of complimentary water activities, great gym (I use a combination of weights regularly) and tennis courts. Make sure you check out the spa too, very calming and spacious. A big highlight for me? The food. Overall delicious which resulted in me averaging -at a guess- around 5000 calories a day. Weight gained sure, but worth it. I would very much recommend this hotel for these reasons and many more not listed, my only comment for improvement would be that the free wifi in certain areas of the hotel did slow down around meal times. A little more juice please, but this very minor point aside if you're going to mauritius then stay here...it was lovely.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Murphy789
Reviewed June 15, 2012

super nice people. 5 stars resort. service is fantastic. food is great and various. maintenance and cleanliness of the room are very good. gardens and grass well maintened. a place like the ones in the dream. just go!

Room Tip: ask for room in front of the sea....
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Brama69
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 8, 2012

Just got back from a fantastic week at La Pirogue and have no faults whatsoever except I wish I could have stayed longer!

As soon as we arrived the staff greeted us with drinks and took our bags to our rooms, all the staff were friendly and always willing to help with whatever you needed. The room was always spotless and was cleaned twice a day!
The buffet was the best buffet I have ever had on an all inclusive holiday the food was always different and very fresh the seafood in partciular was lovely and the deserts were amazing!!!!!! you will not get bored of this buffet!

The entertainemt was superb they always put on a great show!

The beach was beautiful, plenty of sunbeds and always fresh towells! we went snorkelling a couple of times which is something that the hotel offers at no cost, we went at half 10 in the morning and we saw dolphins!

I would definielty recommned this holiday especially for a couple and a family, it is a truly beaitiful island and even for families with very young kids they have the kids club and the kids always looked like they had had a great time!

I would defineitely recommend this resort and I can not wait to go back!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Lauren C
heathrow
Reviewed June 7, 2012

The Staff are amazing and extremley friendly, my wife is disabled and has difficulty getting around and they supply a buggy service which was invalueable I cannot express how graetful I am to the staff the trully made our stay a magical one.

We was all Inclusive on our stay and if you intend to stay in the hotel and be lazy I cannot suggest this enough as there was not a drink or food item we did not enjoy. You have the choice of eating at The Buffet at breakfast which was amazing, lunch you had a choice of 3 places to eat and again not a single bad meal everything was excellent then if you have space the afternoon tea menu comes out try the shrimp badia its very very good and then for dinner there is the Paul and Virgine Rest as well as the buffet which again was always a delight and puddings were always in great supply.
The drinks covered on the all inclusive included your exstensive mini bar and a massive selection of cocktails,spirits a good selection of wineand all served till 2am. It is really 1st rate.

The Grounds are magnificent as is the beach and the entertainment was always fun to watch.

If there was a slight grumble and it would only be slight it is that there is not enough sunbed area around the pool.

Thisis fantastic for a relaxing getaway for couples and families alike as there is a m agnificent kids club set up here as well.

I would rebook tomorrow I hope the Management Read these reports and relay all the positive things back to the staff

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Trou aux Biches Beachcomber Golf Resort & Spa
LUX* Belle Mare
LUX* Belle Mare
#1 of 13 in Belle Mare

Been to La Pirogue Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!