“Sugar Beach resort” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Flic En Flac
Perth
“Sugar Beach resort”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2013

We have just returned from an absolutely fabulous week in Mauritius staying at the gorgeous Sugar Beach Resort. From the moment we walked through the gorgeous arch of this resort we were made extremely welcome with all needs met. Our room was gorgeous, staying in a standard room, that had the best ocean views and sounds of waves crashing in to the shore. Our welcome to the room was met with a lovely tropical fruit platter on arrival. Our room was meticulously cleaned and tidied each day, with all hotel staff being courteous, polite and very welcoming. While there is much to do and see on this beautiful island, we felt so at home at the resort that we just wanted to relax by the poolside and enjoy some down time, with only a couple of activities that we planned to do. The weather was perfect with perhaps only a need for a shawl/wrap in the evenings due to the gorgeous ocean breezes. The Aura Spa provides a luxurious and calming moment to unwind, pamper and relax to also enjoy your holiday. We had a dream to be married in Mauritius, but due to the date we arrived and and were returning on, (must be in country for 3 business days) we decided to have a vow renewal ceremony to celebrate and renew our wedding from 2 weeks prior. A massive thank you to Christine Bellouard for making this dream come true :). All in all, a magical and memorable holiday was had, and would absolutely recommend this resort to anybody thinking of where to stay in Mauritius. As with all hotel resorts, the cocktails and lunches were a little more expensive than what there was probably out in the township of Flic-En-Flac, but due to the fact that our breakfasts and evening meals were already pre-paid, we didn't feel it was necessary to eat any further meals throughout the day. We are already planning our next holiday there! For further information regarding this referral, I can be contacted at:
kaday71@bigpond.net.au

Thank you agin Sugar Beach!

Kerry Day

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 798 which had a fabulous view of the ocean, and had great sounds of the waves cras...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kerry_Day71

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (512)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

We had a terrific holiday at Sugar Beach Resort, a spectacular hotel, very well managed, a gorgeous setting, hotel grounds are magnificent, beach is gorgeous, food is fantastic, staff are lovely and helpful. The Sun Kids club was fantastic. The General Manager could often be seen ensuring all was well and he introducted himself and chatted to us and the other guests at the hotel which we thought was exceptional. There is no critisim except that no holiday here would be long enough.
Thank you Sugar Beach for ensuring our holiday was one we would remember forever.

Room Tip: Deluxe rooms are a must
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank SamhHolt
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2013

We recently just came back from the resort for our wedding+honeymoon in mid-May 2013. We love the place very much and the staffs are very friendly. The pre-wedding setup such as email and follow-up by the assistance sales manager, Ms.Christine Bellouard, was exceptional. Ms.Dominique was also part of the team that arrange the wedding for us and our gratitude to her as well. On the day of the wedding, Christine accomodates even to last minute request from me which was very much appreciated as it makes the wedding more special during our photoshoots.

Reception - On our arrival, we were greeted by their frontdesk staffs and was asked to wait while they process our checkin. by the way, we checked in early by 2 hours and to our surprised, our room is ready which is very good as we were a bit tired after driving for 1.5 hours. We rented a car, btw...Alexandra, I think, is the staff the explained to us our checkin and showed us our room. But I do find it odd that when they explained to me what facilities they have such as swimming pools, etc, they used their fingers to point which we were thinking, how the hell can we remember all the places she pointed. Isn't it would be much better if accompanied with the resort map? All the places she pointed is lost in translations and in the end, we refer to their resort map after Alexandra showed us our room.

The room - Our room is 658 and we think this is the best room which has the view of the lawn and the sea. We can sit at the balcony for hours watching the waves crashing on the corals and enjoys the sunset. Splendid views...though we were constantly disturbed and annoyed by flies. The room itself is kept clean constantly by housekeeping staffs.

Boat House - We were greeted by Steven which is overly friendly and when we told him that we have no clue on what activities to do, firstly he asked us when we arrived and when are we leaving, then he said that he needs to know so that he can PLAN for us our activities. What an excellent service...But we told them what are our preferred activities and he gaves us his recommendations which we fully agreed. We chatted and we feel comfortable having his presence as he was very helpful and informative. Too bad that we were not able to enjoy wind-surfing as my wife loves it but due to low tides hence it's not possible. Overall, every single staffs in the Boat House are friendly and always willing to help. Kudos to them...

Dinner - Mon Plaisir (different themes daily basis, loves Sat as it's Atlantic themes which its seafood), Citronella's Cafe (love "Pan-fried Fillet of Beef, juicy and tender...highly recommended). You can go to their sister resort (La Pirogue) for lunch and the food were fantastic as well plus the service staffs are very friendly and well-trained).

On the downside, what we were unhappy is the way how we were treated at Tides Restaurant. We went there twice for lunch and the staff seems uninterested and as if we're non-existent. It took them a while to notice us and shows us a table. It is more saddened when you realized that you are serve the last even to the point of taking orders. The staffs don't smile or ask us how is our stay and when taking our orders, they seems to be in a rush to leave our table. We told them that we have just arrived and we're not sure what to order and guess what they did? They nodded...that's it. My wife needs to tell them that we're on full-board package and yet there's not a single words mustered from their mouth. I have to read the menu carefully and only then realized that those with a green asterisk are foods that is covered in full-board package. But surprisingly, the staffs treated other guests very well and they even stopped to chat with them. This makes us feel like an unwelcome guests. Let me repeat this...it happens TWICE. I wanted to have dinner and reservation needs to be made in advance and so we did but the staffs that makes the reservation is totally unfriendly and seems to be in bad mood. In the end, we decided to cancel the reservation to avoid further heartache. One thing for sure is that the food is fantastic but such a letdown by the service staffs.

So much to say yet don't know where to begin or end but overall the resort is very much loved by my wife that she doesn't want to leave the place and one last thing is thank you very much, Christine. You have made our our stay SBR an unforgettable experience. A week stay in SBR is definitely not enough and we would love the opportunities to go back again as we treat this place as our "second home". :D

Room Tip: If you're not a pool-lover, rooms in Manor House is quiet and has a nice view.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ClammyShell
Paris
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2013

Our family of five - two adults and three boys (aged 13, 11 and 8) just spent 10 days at the Sugar Beach hotel. And we loved it all. The two older boys really enjoyed hanging out with the other adolescents. The eleven year old infiltrated the teen group - he was the youngest - but it worked out ok. He would have been the oldest in the kids group. There were lunches and dinners organized each day for the teenagers and activities in between. We hardly saw them for the week - they had a great sense of freedom as the resort seems really safe. Despite a great kids club, the eight year old stayed with us most of the week and we really enjoyed having him all to ourselves!

There was one main pool - and one 'quiet' pool. It's not reserved for adults, but it is supposed to be quiet. The quiet pool was just lovely for an end of day swim watching the sun setting as you flapped up and down the pool. The hotel provides fresh pool towels in exchange for a little card you get when checking in.

All of the staff were charming. From the welcome in the morning at breakfast, right through to the evening. I wish I had written down all their names - or had written the review earlier so I could mention them here. I can only remember Bernard, Stephen and Jonathon from the boat house - who were great at getting us organized with windsurfs every day, and snorkling and the like. Also, Denis from the teen club who really knew how to make it special for the teenagers. A very special mention for the gentleman working on the breaksfast terrace in the morning who anticipated with grace and charm our specific coffee and tea needs every day!

We had a lovely standard family room, which was two interconnecting rooms with a little terrace which opened out onto the garden, which then opened onto the beach. A beautiful vista from our porch (see photo). Rooms very comfortable. One room had a large double bed. And the other room had two large single beds (or two small double beds - however you want to see it). Our two younger children shared a bed. They offered to set up a trundle bed in the adult's room but we didn't go for that option. They were terrific at changing towels and keeping the room spruced up.

From a pratical sense, we booked the full-board option. We found it difficult to get absolute clarity on what was included in full-board beforehand. Here's our take on it now that we've been. Full-board gives you access to the main restaurant 'mon plaisir' for breakfast and to certain meals at all of the restaurants at Sugar Beach and neighbouring Pirogue (Tides, Citronellas, Beach Bar, Paul and Virginie) for lunch (the meals allowed are marked by a little asterisk, and the choice is good enough). Drinks are extra with the full-board option. At night, full-board also covers Mon Plaisir, and you get a sort of budget to spend at Tides and Citronella's, which really only covers the main course. Again, at night drinks are extra. I don't know how much extra the all-inclusive option would be, but I would consider it I were to go again. We paid about an extra 600 euros for the 10 days for the options and drinks - and we were reasonable enough in our choices.

The food was just amazing. Really very good. The menu in the restaurants is different at lunch and at night-time. Service can be very slow in Tides and Citronella's. I guess you're on holidays and have the time, but sometimes it did drag on. The buffet in the main restuarant was spectacular every single night. A different theme each day, and really really tasty. We loved it. Breakfast was also a delight - fresh omelets made to order as well as pancakes and crepes. Their vienosseries were worthy of a good Parisian bakery. We know because we live there. Boys loved it.

At night, there was usually some kind of entertainment at Tides. They have some incredible local bands - really amazing singers. So, that was great.

The only downside, was that our magnificient room - was in fact not that far from Tides, so at night-time you could hear the music and entertainment throbbing away. And wifi worked out at about 30 euros per device. Though you could get free wifi in the restaurants and common areas.

So, all in all. Go with your family. Its perfect. Everybody will enjoy it. My kids already are lobbying us to go back!

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view. And then specifiy that you don't want to be near Tides - if you don't w...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank ParisFifi
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2013

We have visited this hotel in December, based on all the positive reviews on TripAdvisor and were absolutely delighted. The resort is close to perfect and if something is not to your expectations, they will address it immediately. Customer service is taken to perfection. We were 3 adults and a baby and they went out of the way to make sure every wish we had was met. If you are looking for a piece of mind on holidays - this is a place to go. The beach is perfectly fine without any extra shoes and we had our 18 months old walking around without any problems. So is the sea to swim, however tidal. We also went half board and it was fine, but we did watch the costs.

Room Tip: Worth upgrading to the premium rooms as closer to the sea
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Justyna C
kenya
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013

I had so enjoyed my previous trip to Sugar Beach I planned a follow up trip. I took my own advice from my previous visit and booked all inclusive option which did make a big difference and I would recommend it to anyone. However, that;s about where the recommendations end. As a returning guest I had hoped for at least a "welcome back" from management- who were oblivious to my return entirely- funnily enough the "welcome back" came from the Maitre D who was so genuine in his welcome I was quite moved and equally happy to see him as I had also remembered his kindess from the previous trip. At that point management seemed to be embarrased enough into a room upgrade to one of the groundfloor rooms on the beach- gorgeous room indeed. However on my last night I found a snake in my room! I was totally horrified and very,very upset. The night duty manager was kind and helpful in getting my belongings moved to another room and that's the last I heard from the hotel. I had hoped for a letter from the GM or hotel group acknowledging the problem and apologising for it but 2 years on still no word from them so I write this review and spend my tourist money elsewhere. For location: Sugar beach is perfect, for the staff in the spa and restaurants: equally top marks. The spa ladies are still some of trhe nicest and most professional I have met. However they are let down badly by hotel management who are absent, indifferent and absolutely couldn't be bothered to encourage repeat visitors or take the time to contact a guest after an upsetting stay. (note: the date I travelled is not the date reflected here)

Room Tip: avoid ground rooms on the beach if you don't like animal encounters of the slithery kind
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
11 Thank totoKenya
Cape Town Central, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013

My wife and I spent 7 nights at Sugar Beach for our Honeymoon. The resort is massive and has very nicely appointed rooms. The hotel is rated 5 star on its website and the level of service is commensurate for this rating. We stayed in a ground floor, sea facing Superior Room which was spacious and well appointed. Although the hotel has been renovated during the last few years I feel that the rooms are more a 4-star standard rather than 5-star. Don't get me wrong - everything was clean and well serviced but it just wasn't "quiet there" with what one would expect in a 5-star hotel.

There was the main restaurant which offered a buffet style menu every evening. And two other restaurants that was a la carte and needed to be booked (Citronella and Tides). We were on the all inclusive which was necessary as the cost of drinks and food if one were paying cash is very expensive (even when comparing to Europe or UK prices).

The buffet at the main restaurant had a different theme every evening. After a while the food gets a bit "samey" even though the theme was different. Citronella is great - we went there three times and managed to find really good food on their All Inclusive menu. We had a "honeymoon" dinner at Tides which was also very nice and romantic.

My wife and I realised that either you are a resort type of person or not. We discovered we aren't really "the resort types". It took us about two days to really learn to relax and when we did we needed to find something more to do rather than sit by the pool or sea, eat and drink. We went on a catamaran trip for the day (booked via the hotel) which was great and rented bicycles and cycled around flic-en-flac which was good for a change of scenery ...

For those who love the resort type of holiday where you can totally relax, drink rum cocktails all day long, swim, eat and chill then Sugar Beach is the place for you. Staff are amazingly helpful and they will try their best to meet all your needs. Weather on the west side of the island is the best too. We were there when they had some major floods in Port Louis (where sadly several people died) but on our side we had a bit of rain for two days. So West is definitely Best.

All in all a great resort. We met people there who were returning for their 10th year. For us it was a "once is enough" type of place but that is just us and not a reflection on the resort.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
La Pirogue Resort & Spa
La Pirogue Resort & Spa
#2 of 17 in Flic En Flac
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,876 reviews

Been to Sugar Beach Golf & Spa Resort? Share your experiences!