“Comment to CBs review of 25th of April 2013.”
Review of Hippocampe - CLOSED

Hippocampe
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings, Bar scene, Special occasions, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed May 3, 2013

CBs review is not a surprise for me.

I was at the restaurant HippoCampe with my family that evening of the 25th of April 2013 and after experiencing the behaviour of this German family, it is no surprise to me, that they also went home and wrote a review matching this behaviour.
A very different picture of our else so well-mannered German neighbours...

We feel very sorry for the restaurant owner and his hardworking staff.

Despite that... We had a very nice dinner, the food was excellent and the service completely satisfactory.

2  Thank LarsJensenDK

Reviewed April 28, 2013

We recently enjoyed an all to brief lunch at Hippocampe and sought the restaurant out on TA reviews.

The quality of food was very close to the best we had in Mauritius, unfortunately I was driving so couldnt try some of the drinks on their extensive cocktail list.

My partner and I both had Indian, mine could of been a little hotter (spice), but this was my fault as I asked for not too spicy as I wasnt sure of the relative heat factor in the country. What is hot in Indian/UK is a lot hotter than Mauritius. We also had the tasty starters.

One little peice of advice woudl be to include Naan and Dhal on the menu when serving Indian food

A good place and if I was staying in Flic en Flac we would of returned.

1  Thank SthOz

Everything that went wrong on 25/04/2013 between 19:30 and 22:30:

1. If you come with more than 10 people they are unable to cope.
2. The ambiance was very cold with blank concrete walls.
3. After trying to order draught beer the lady told us we had to order bottled beer as the tab wasn't open yet (at 19:30 o'clock). After refusing the draught beer was suddenly available.
4. Our food order was taken 1 hour after our arrival.
5. Our drinks arrived after 40 minutes.
6. Our food arrived between 1.5 - 2 hours with one order being forgotten and then brought out wrongly. But the waiter blamed us for not ordering anything. The food portions were very small.
7. Our complaints to the only waiter in sight were completely ignored. Even when we asked for the manager twice he only came once and then hid in the back office.
8. When we wanted to pay we decided to go inside and speak to the manager herself who told us we were "problem customers" (quote) from the beginning and that receiving our food after 2 hours was justified as the food was fresh here (maybe they had to catch the fish first)
9. As we stopped the conversation the chef came out (who was not part of any conversation up until then) and told us to "get our [--] out of their establishment" (quote) and that if we are not happy they don't care (yes he literally said that) and that we could leave without paying.
10. As we wanted to leave without paying the manager came back out and called the police (although they never showed up even after waiting for 45 minutes).
11. While waiting for the police (we were happy to explain the situation to them) all the staff (manager, lady and chef) continued arguing with us in front of all other guests).
12. After asking the manager to call the police again to make sure they came he said that we could now leave without paying and so we did.

Whatever someone might reply to this comment excusing their sad behavior - believe me this is the worst service all of us have ever experienced in our entire lives and we cannot believe that managers or owners of a restaurant that is ranked number 1 here in Flic en Flac get away with mistreating their customers.
Do not go there unless you enjoy being abused!

1  Thank C B
Reviewed April 25, 2013

You want to eat well and nothing else? Then, they are served here "good"! Not the boss is the King but the customer!

1  Thank Natas666666
Reviewed April 25, 2013

With my partner we found ourselves eating there almost every day during the 10 day stay in Flic en Flac. It is not becuase we are not adventurous or like to try new places but just the food there was so yummy...!!! Having been to a few really good restaurants in London I can reassure you that the food there is of very high standard and can equate to what I have tried in Michelin star restaurants in London. If there is one thing which needs to be improved that would be the speed of the service, for most meals we had to wait good 30-40minutes before getting our food. However if you are not in a hurry I would strongly recomend it!