Open today: 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM
Review Highlights
Sea urchin all the WAY!!!!

i went diving there a few times with one of my friends. it was the first time that she went diving... read more

Reviewed November 8, 2018
Jet63457001622
A random find

We hired the car for the day and headed to the Black River Gorge National Park, on our way back we... read more

Reviewed October 11, 2018
968rickj
Winchester, United Kingdom
via mobile

All reviews dive shop diving center great dive no nonsense dive spots open water these guys felt safe eagle rays our honeymoon instructor equipment team fishes giovanni boat kit
Reviewed January 30, 2012

Our diving trip was cancelled by our chosen centre, and we had to go ahead with this one as it was the last possible day we could dive (nitrogen levels before the flight back). Cancellation was due to an increased swell on the pass, so we knew there would be some current and diminished visibility. So I should probably have decided not to go, with hindsight. Or we could have been advised of the fact, which we weren't.

The equipment was all recent so no problem there, and the local staff, as usual in Mauritius, was all smiles and helpful.

Noticing we weren't given a dive computer, I asked. I was told by an unsmiling german lady that I was welcome to rent one out for an extra 200 rupees per person, so it was spend the extra money or trust the dive master for depths and safety stop, which according to paddi is simply not done. It gave me a great idea for one of my businesses, a kitesurfing school: Next season I will put my life jackets and helmets as an option and make my customers pay extra for them!
I understand that the dive site didn't go deeper than 20m, and that the dive master would make sure that all would observe a safety stop, but in a risk environment, one works in absolutes: Take no risks whatsoever and you will have no surprises. What happens if one of the divers gets separated in the current, goes deeper? And charge extra? Good way to make sure the customer doesn't come back.
I realised then that the equipment was being prepared for us. In a professional outfit, the diver prepares his own equipment, under the watchful eye of the dive master, it's a good indication of how confident the diver is and how he is going to behave in the water. I guess they were going for speed here, although they would probably say it is safer done by the staff. Do this for several dives and you'll have forgotten how to do it yourself when you have to, and look like an idiot (an unsafe one).
Ever heard of the buddy check just before entering the water? Not here.

Instead of all going in at the same time, and going under at the same time, we were told to go down whenever we were ready! As I went down, I took a nice picture of the anchor stuck against the reef, unfortunately a bad practice seen all over the island...

I have travelled to many places, tried many new activities and am proficient in quite a few others. Some centres like this one take short cuts, may be become complacent with time. I think this one needs to tighten the screws a little, it simply isn't up to the usual mauritian standards one gets used to here.

Date of experience: January 2012
6  Thank mojo9995
Reviewed January 7, 2012

This is a great dive centre. Very good equipment.
Everybody seems happy, people returning day after day.
Good dive boat and loan of camera for 500 rs. Hire the camera: take an sd card. it will be worth it.
They speak english and german.
If you do cathedral dive make sure you wait to go in the bell. otherwise yyou will be left wondering.
Take camera to Cathedral and serpent rampart loads of fish.
Also do the wreck dives.
The water is beautiful and the visibility incredible!
People usualluy do 2 dives a day and buy a package

1  Thank Dreamer101Sydney
Reviewed December 29, 2011

We spent our 2011 Xmas in Flic en Flac and were very happy on all our diving with Sea-Urchin.
First, the dive shop is situated at a great location that is easy to spot for people coming in&out of town. Second, all staff from the shop are seasoned. It didnt take much effort to pickup the routine. Plus, they are very friendly and environmental concious.Third, the DM and instructors are also safety concious. In addition to fun diving, safety is always our main concern. And we are very happy that we went with Sea-Urchin with all our diving in Mauritius. Fourth, if you are able to, try joining them for the side trips such as dolphin watch trip. The captain does not quit until he gets all the dolphins you want...
We will recommend all our diving friends to go with Sea-Urchin shall they be in Mauritius.

Reviewed December 18, 2011

Excellent under water experience. It is a complete adventure, right from wearing the diving suit, learn the sign language to talk underwater.And the thrill to be able to walk on sea land, touch the fishes and feed them bread crumbs....fond memories!!!

Date of experience: October 2011
Reviewed December 16, 2011

We had three days of diving with Sea Urchin and could not fault the place - apart from the awful style of sunglasses worn by the boat crew :-)

We enjoyed a variety of sites suitable to our experience and qualification. The staff consulted with us and we selected diving that was appropriate for the weather and tidal conditions. The diving was in small groups and we had a great time.

Woud we use them again? - definitely!

n.b. I believe the previous comment about safety is unjustified. The staff are fully qualified instructors and extending a diver's experience and range safely in accordance with PADI guidelines is acceptable.

1  Thank John R