“Great value for money”

Pearle Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #8 of 18 Hotels in Flic En Flac
Reviewed March 17, 2014

All our compliments to the new Head Chef, Chef Ted. We were a group of 9 and stayed at Le Pearle Beach September 2013 and now again in March 2014. The staff is very friendly, the food an absolute delight, the omelette's made by Rosie for breakfast a must-try. We enjoyed the personal touch and appreciated it especially as a group. We will definately try to go back there.

Room Tip: The Sea facing rooms have a breathtaking view.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
6  Thank LieslMare
Write a ReviewReviews (1,056)

Reviewed March 12, 2014

Stayed last September with as a family group of 8 so hard to please whole group(wife,
daughter,2 sons and all partners).To be fair the staff were ALWAYS cleaning and really
worked hard and we had no problem with any rudeness but the hotel was looking tired
and the dining room had a problem with flies and birds. A net would really help.
We found the bar and bar staff ok but at times understaffed.
Also looking at happyhols98 review about the final day being charged for drinks and with
us meals it tipped us against it.
I appreciate you do get cockroaches but one of our couple did have a problem.
With its location this hotel could have a lot of potential and it's a shame as the staff worked really hard.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank shorty36
Reviewed March 4, 2014

We arrived here after a 30 hour travel via Reunion Island as the Emirates flight could not land after two attempts, 3rd time lucky. Tired and weary we were given a cool welcoming drink and verbally given a load of information which went in one ear and out of the other. During our stay we found no written information available. We had requested a high floor and were given a ground floor room, as the hotel was 100% full we were advised no other rooms available. The next day we went to reception only to be told another room was available, on going to look at the room205 there was a maintenance man in the painting it? did I want to move into a newly painted room and have to repack and unpack again no so we stayed. The room 121 was close to the beach, air con worked well, the room however was tired, bed comfy but bedding worn and grey looking. Towels definitely need to be replaced, worn, thin, grey and they did not have enough towels as I was told when I rung reception to ask for hand towels. Room was never cleaned before late afternoon, not sure if shortage of staff. Safe worked well, shower always barely luke warm no matter what time of day. The hairdryer was next to useless definitely take your own, I presumed as 4* hotel would not need to take mine. We did have a few cockroaches and asked reception again to spray room but still had cockroaches after the spray. We also had a set of scales in the bathroom they were that rusted up they did not move!

Food, not the best, menu repeated weekly, food not covered adequately only by cling film or food nets which once removed proved useless, the hot food was kept warm by candles again totally inadequate and the containers for the hot food proved to be useless. When we came to dine found the lack of spoons, salt pepper was on going issue. Look at the professional photographs on the site, it was nothing like this. The only food we ate was what we could see cooked in front of us, stayed away from the salads as they were always uncovered. We missed a couple of meals and opted for a sandwich and fries which you could get from the bar, my husband ate the fish mainly as this was cooked in front of you.

Entertainment, was in the main poor although the young lad did try his best but fought a losing battle, the stage in the restaurant was set at the far end and the entertainment started during dinner, by the time people had ate their meals they just got up and went most evenings there was less than 10 people. The clientele was mixed Indian, English, French and German so trying to please all the people all the time was hard going.

Service, was mixed either good or non existent, the bar usually only had 0ne staff on he did not have a name badge on not really surprised as he did not enjoy his job one bit, under pressure bar was untidy, glasses were washed under running water and not allowed to drain dry, even ran out of vodka one day and tonic two days we were not offered the branded drinks as replacements. We found out you could order sandwiches and fries during the day but depending on the staff sometimes it was no closed! again no written information to tell you what was available at what time etc.

Pettiness, the last day was the deciding factor for us, as we had arrived late on the first day we were allowed to have lunch and one non alcoholic drink on our last day, so this in effect meant that the all inc stopped the previous night at 10.30pm not that we wanted to abuse the alcohol before making the 24 hour journey home but it would have been nice to have been able to have some refreshment on our last day without having to pay as this is the only hotel I have stayed in when the all inc finishes the night before you leave.

Final comments this is defined as 4* first class hotel, not in my opinion, yes the hotel is right on the beach and the sunsets are great, we met some fabulous people who made our holiday, would we stay here again only if there were some vast improvements made.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
8  Thank happyhols98
Reviewed March 2, 2014

This hotel is not for the discerning traveller.
The hotel is situated on the most fabulous beach with view over the magnificent blue sea of the Indian Ocean, it can get no better than that, and overall we had a fabulous time.
The arrangements with Mercury Direct were smooth and trouble free.
We found the problems to be in room 314
Room dirty with pubic hair in shower. I needed to clean wardrobes and drawers before I could put clothes away and after 30hr travel I was not impressed.
Shower stained tiles, grubby glass door
Cold water showers every day, no matter what time of day
Comfortable king bed with poor quality bed linen that bobbled easily and was uncomfortable on sunkissed skin, towels a joke, threadbare and stained.
For me personally this really spoiled my holiday, I want to stay somewhere equal to or better than my own home and these towels would have been thrown out long ago, no wonder they have to be changed so regularly, at home fluffy thick towels that would last a week in this climate.
The room needs a total spring clean to bring up to quality standard expected of this 4*
The room was attended to daily but not sure what was done besides make the bed which I had already done
Room not swept as sand on balcony whole holiday
I saw a discarded ear bud in walkway between 108-109 for whole time I was there

Dining
Beautiful open setting overlooking the magnificent bay and yes there is a problem with birds and flies.
Poor food hygiene, food covered with cling film initially but left off by guests frequently
The first week ( stayed for two) the food was awful, too hot and spicy for my English palate but also very limited, the second week unbeilvably splendid, my husband discovered a new head chef had been appointed and overnight the quality and standard changed, staff and waiter much more proactive.
Sometimes I went hungry in the first week and nowhere was it stated I could have requested a different meal
Desserts too sweet for me and only in second week did I discover that I could have requested ice cream
It is true that birds and flies are everywhere but even with hygiene head on I dont know what the management can do about this as to contain the birds would mean erecting barrier to the fabulous views, however I do feel food could be cleared away faster.
The chairs in the resturant are covered in bird poo and these need to be cleaned daily as this can soil your clothes. I would suggest removing 8 or so every day and giving them a good clean
Often tables not set and needed to hunt for crockery.
I have to say good quality crockery and cutlery used, with good quality tablecloths and napkins as you would expect in a 4 * hotel
After dinner there is nowhere for non smokers to sit and relax and enjoy a quiet drink, the only area outside the bar is frequented by smokers, an area needs to be set aside for non smokers . I would suggest extending the decking area off the pool bar area to allow a non smoking area for other guests
BEACH
Beautiful white sandy beach, HOWEVER it was never cleaned at all during our stay
Cigarette ends, bottle tops, tissues all litter the beach. Dead coral and rocks spoil the beach.
This should be cleared. and not expect guests to buy shoes. I got coral in my heel and needed
to remove this myself one evening
Further along the beach other hotels clean their beaches daily and have unspoilt beachfronts, and less flies

Finally I booked this hotel knowing it had a reef and thinking that I could swim and snorkel out to the reef myself.
Not so, the lagoon is cordoned off with buoys to allow bathers an area on approx 20metres x 10 metres to swim in, if you swim out of the bouys you do so at your own peril, as boats speed up and down the water all day and you really take your life in your hands swimming. We personally saw two very close shaves
The on site water centre will take you snorkelling at a cost of £100 !!
The enclosed space for swimming was vastly reduced when tide was out and again personally I feel this could be easily extended to allow for safer swimming for guests.
There are a shortage of parasols, yet several are broken, these should be repaired promptly and beds should be stacked at night as several beds not used and clutter up the available space.
Someone should be in charge of tidying the beach daily and setting out beds around the parasol , ensuring not broken / tables clean. In essence someone should care about the beach setting as this is what guests use the most

Would I go again, yes, but I will read and liase with my fellow trip advisors to see if the standard does improve first

Room Tip: third floor best views
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
9  Thank cornishdoc
Reviewed February 15, 2014

Hi,

We stayed as a couple in this resort for 6 days in January, 2014.

The location of the hotel is excellent and is right on the beach. There is a super market across the road from where you can buy stuffs for daily use like water cookies etc. Also the bus stop is just a couple of minutes walk. Flic-n-flaq beach is quite beautiful and much less crowded than other beaches in Mauritius.

Now to talk about the resort-

To start with, we regret choosing this resort for our vacation over others which our tour manager had suggested when we were planning for this vacation but our bad. The resort tried its best to spoil our vacation but we somehow managed to make this vacation a memorable one.
The resort is a budget 3 star resort and not a 4 start at all what they claim it to be.

1. Staff - The reception staffs were extremely rude. For everything, you had to remind them at least 3 times before they attend to you. They will never ever try to co-operate with you. The staffs at the restaurant were slightly better compared to the ones at reception.

2. Rooms – The rooms are with two single beds joined together to make a double bed and very uncomfortable to sleep. The rooms are cleaned once a day but to my surprise, the bed linen is not changed daily. (Happened to notice this when I was in the room one of the afternoons). There are lizards in the balconies so ensure that you keep the doors locked to avoid the lizards in your room. The safe in the room always gave me issues and I had to call the staff at least 4 times during my stay to get it corrected.

3. Food – Vegetarians, please don’t even consider this an option. Palak paneer will not have palak, aloo gobhi is full of salt, Gulab jamun was dried in the sun before serving. These are just to mention a few. There is a small joint ZUBS as mentioned by one of the guests which helped me during my stay for food. Lizards and birds will again keep a watch on you when you are having your food so you better watch out for them.

4. The hotel staff will mention you that bermudas and slippers are not allowed during dinner but everyone came to dinner wearing them so never bother about the same.

I will not recommend this resort to anyone. The rooms were ok but the service was horrible.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms on the ground floor as they have no privacy at all. Also avoid rooms “X”01 to “X”05 on a...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
8  Thank abhinsgh27
Pearle76, Reservations Manager at Pearle Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2014

Dear Abhinsgh27,

We thank you for your comments recently posted on Trip Advisor.My aim through the report below is not to prove the contrary of your feelings but just to justify our good faith in delivering service of good standard to keep holiday makers happy at our hotel.

You mention that you chose the wrong hotel.
you have agreed that the surrounding and the area where the hotel is located is the best of the island. You will here note that you would not have found any other hotel in this vicinity for the budget that have spent for a holiday of 3 weeks. You may consider our hotel to be a budgeted 3 star but mind yo that all services offered at our place have no disparity with a full fledge 4 * + property. We serve wide range of food options from the continental to the English standard for breakfast. Surely, you have come across the fresh fruits, pastries, breads, jams, eggs, sausages, raw meats, juices, tea, coffee and many others.... During the day you must have been eating from the lunch buffets which offer a salad, hot and dessert buffet proposing more than 20 items to be consumed. If ever, you want to eat differently, our menu card offers you another wide choice of items. Between lunch and dinner time you can still eat from our snack card. Dinners are usually set with thematic buffets which again offer a wide variety of food including salads, grills etc. Finally, I do not find us failing in our mission to be feeding you well.

We would like inform you that all our staff at the reception are trained and experienced staff. Most of them have been working formerly in reputed hotels before joining us. We have our in-house training and performance appraisal programs which makes us believe that our reception staff cannot be rude with guests. Indeed, it is the first time that we are having negative comments on our reception staffs.

We offer room cleaning services daily and we change bed linen partly everyday. All flats sheets are changed on a daily basis and the top sheets every next day. We have established this system as we want to participate in the Eco friendly campaign which all responsible citizen of this globe is trying to promote. However, if our staff find the bed linen are dirty, they do change the whole lot as required.

I agree that you got issues with the safe in the room. I would like to maintain that we do preventive maintenance on all our equipment. We do employ experienced people in our maintenance team in order to solve unexpected maintenance defaults in certain equipment. I am happy to learn that our staffs were prompt in attending to your request. You will agree with me that the safe is fitted with an electronic device and usually electronic devices have defaults.

Lizards cannot be eradicated in a country having a tropical climate and rich in green plants such as coconut trees and other exotic plants. Our hotel has a beautiful exotic garden witch contributes to give you a nice surrounding to spend your holiday. Lizards will always be present and at night they are attracted by the lights in the building. Surely, one walking in the public area at night can come across lizards. I would like to mention that the lizards are harmless and never come to people. They always remain stuck in the roof or walls of the building. Again, I will precise that we have a professional pest control services company attached to our hotel to look after the pests at our hotel.

20% of our clients are Indians. Most of the guests are vegetarians and we have always been praised by them for the quality and taste of our food. The Gulab Jamun is a dry brown cake. It has never been wetted in a syrup. May be, you are confusing the Gulab Jamun with the Rasgulah.

In the belief of a creating an elegant environment for the dinner in the restaurant, we ask our guests to be smartly dressed. However, we do not oblige guests to do so.

Reviewed February 12, 2014

Just had a couple of weeks stay at this resort. We have returned with mixed feelings about our stay. The Hotel itself is very nice and the staff are pleasant for the most part.

we stayed in room 312 which had an excellent view of the beach. Room was cleaned daily but it was cleaned last thing in the afternoon every day and we never got all of the clean towels we needed. There was always one or two missing which required running round after them. The air conditioning unit leaked out lots of water for our first three days there. We came back to puddles in the room and water dripping down the wardrobes and walls. They did respond 3 times before it was fixed (we think)

Meal times are an ordeal but once you get used to the poor service and hunt around for all of the cutlery you need you will be fine. We (and others) spent time taking it from other tables, so I assume that they didn't really have enough to go around and this is how it went. Food was standard. There is sometimes a snack service going on in the afternoon however trying to work out the times of this was difficult. One day it stopped at 4pm and one day 5pm but we think it was whether or not the bar man could be bothered (a certain one). We asked at reception for clarity and she laughed at us. We thought that was odd, but nevermind! :-/. There are birds in the dining room and you do need to check out the chairs and tablecloths before sitting. My husband got bird poop all over his T shirt at the back and had to go and get changed. Don't sit by the walls because the ants are great at climbing the tablecloths and invading your table. The birds sit on the spoons at the buffet and eat the rice etc, so be prepared for sharing and food is not always covered. Basic hygiene not really cared about at this hotel.

The beach is nice especially further along the coast where we spent most of the time. People are down on the beach first thing putting towels down as there are not enough umberellas for all. we couldn't be bothered about that so we just went elsewhere. We sometimes ate elsewhere. There is a place called ZUBS who sell allsorts of things. Nice grill and makes business from guests at Pearle beach.

If I were to visit Mauritius again I would certainly go Self Catering. There are loads of apartments along the coastal strip and the beaches along the coast are better. This hotel certainly did not tick all of the boxes for us. I would go elsewhere next time.

Most of the time its OK, but if you want good service, don't go here. I certainly met some very nice staff but on the whole we wasted our good money on this trip. I wouldn't recommend it.

Room Tip: Rooms are nice. But you have to pay more for the good view. Road noise bothered us
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank DocAMH
Reviewed February 6, 2014

After looking for somewhere for our honeymoon and searched all hotels on this cost line, we decided to book the Pearle beach resort. Boy I'm glad we did, staff was fantastic and couldn't do enough for you. Service was brilliant and with it being a smaller hotel everything was more personal. Very clean hotel, modern and very relaxing. We visited all the larger hotels on this coastline & realised they were to big and we both agreed that you wouldn't get the same service as the Pearle beach. We met some fantastic people whilst on our honeymoon, which made it feel very special as everybody wanted to chat and join in whatever nationality they was. Dominique and Hansel made our honeymoon very special. Big thanks to them and all the staff. As for trips, we found its best to do them yourself with a taxi and a personal driver. The safari park was something else, and the country is amazing. Better than the Caribbean I found. We also did a speed boat trip from the hotel, which was brilliant, as we swam with over 60 bottle nose dolphins and seen some fantastic marine life, followed by a BBQ on an island, just off the coast.

Everything was amazing, and if we could afford it. We would book the Peale beach hotel every year. Even the managers of the hotel was pleasant and made the effort to chat. We hope to visit again soon.

Many people read these reviews and make poor remarks, what we found from reading about the pearle beach these are people that moan about anything. Trust me, ignore them. It's a nice, modern hotel and everything was fantastic. Thanks again Pearle Beach. Keep up the good work.

Mr & Mrs Niblett