“Salmonella”

Ranked #10 of 13 Hotels in Belle Mare
hitchin
“Salmonella”
Reviewed October 19, 2012

Whilst the hotel is very nicely presented, and the staff friendly, having had an egg for breakfast on our last morning I returned to the UK with salmonella which took months to recover from. Also the dive operation which seems linked to the hotel is the most unprofessional we have encountered. We were taken diving on a day that the reef was "closed" due to weather conditions, resulting in torn ligaments and bruising. Had we known the dive site was behond the reef we would not have got on the dive boat. It has taken a long time to get over this trip.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bubblegreenblue
hotels_attitude, Ashok Mooroteea at Emeraude Beach Attitude, responded to this review, November 11, 2012
Dear guest,

Your feedback after more than 6 months comes to us as a surprise as you did not contact us at the time and we could not recall any of the issues mentioned in your post.

Nevertheless we did investigate based on your comments and we would like to address your main concerns:

- The Hotel Duty Manager did not register any complaints on food hygiene / security at the Hotel, nor Management was informed of any case of Salmonella or any case of food poisoning during the month of February 2012. Please note that we have partnered with a worldwide provider specialized in all Food & Safety standards (SGS) and once again nothing irregular was noted.

- As regards to the Diving Center, the Dive Master, Dave, notified us that all guests are advised on all diving aspects pertaining to hazards. Diving are conducted in the sea and reefs are not ‘opened’ or ‘closed’. Ligaments are never/cannot be torn while swimming and in sea water.

We would be happy to get in touch with you to find out more as nothing can be found in our records.

Ashok Mooroteea

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
shrewsbury
Reviewed October 17, 2012

We have now been back home for a couple of weeks so Ive had time to gather my thoughts.
One thing the hotel must learn is that first impessions count. We arrived tired after a long flight to be met by receptionist Kevin, and were told to sit waiting for a few minutes - this turned out to be 50 minutes! why we were not directed to wait in the bar and have a few drinks I am not sure.
We then finally booked in and had the normal argument about which type of all inclusive we were.I am told savvy travellers email their travel company a couple of weeks before travelling and get written confirmation that they are on the full all inclusive, otherwise like us you will spend two days of signing for all drinks before the hotel finally agrees that yes you are on the full all inclusive.

After the first day of recovery from the journey we fully settled in to hotel life. I mentioned to Restaurant manager Ravi that I was vegetarian. From that time onward as lunch and dinner I had a specially prepared meal brought to the table!
Time spent getting to know the staff is well spent. As the hotel is faily small this is not difficult.We soon got to know waitress Sunita who was so friendly, and who told us that on the beach was going to be the Hindu festival of Ganash.
We ventured down to the beach expecting a few people and found approx eight ceremonies in the half mile of visible beach. At the ceremony we meet Sunita who introduced us all to her family and friends. These people insisted on finding us the best view point to see, and after the ceremony asked us to share in their celebratory food - the people are just so friendly. ( Ive attatched some photos of the ceremony)

Evening entertainment happens three times a week and on rotation includes an excellent local group and two sets of dancing girls - these are a bit samey so a little variety would be welcome. On the other nights of the week people just entertain themselves at the bar trying all of the cocktails available. Late in the holiday I discovered that its a good idea just to let barman Sami make something for you rather than choose from the list.When Sami is not working Alvin is very capable.

Ive read of people saying that the taxis outside of the hotel are expensive. We learnt that they have agreed rates with the hotel, and found that was what was always quoted.After finding that a days car hire would be £84 including insurence we spent two day trips with the taxis outside. OK people down the beach may be cheaper but do they have any insurance? - they could be anyone.
A day around the south of the island withexcellent driver Ram cost£60 for four people and £55 for a day to the capital and north. We had heard that we would be taken to craft markets etc and so just told Ram we were not interested, and were never taken. We did mention one day that we would like to go to a beach and Ram went out of his way to take us to a great beach.Ram was a careful and considerate driver that could not be faulted.

When visiting the Emeraude you must realise that it is not a hugh hotel like the all inclusives in many other places so some facilities are not available that larger hotels would have. This is by far made up by the personal service you will receive from the staff. If you have any problems talking to the will soon sort it , for example the hotel did not have yogurt for breakfast, or tomatoes available in the salad. Once we asked they were regularly available. The only request the hotel could not come up with despite many promises was english style tea bags - the hotel tea bags are vanilla flavour. This was very strange as tea is grown on the island, and english syle tea bags were on sale in the hotel shop!

Having never been to Mauritius before we loved the place - its safe to go outside the hotel, most people speak english and they are all so friendly

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
hotels_attitude, Ashok Mooroteea at Emeraude Beach Attitude, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Dear guest,

We would like to thank you for sharing your feedback on your recent stay at Emeraude Beach Attitude with other travelers on TripAdvisor.

Your kind comments on our Hotel and personnel have been shared with all the ‘Family Members’, including Ravi, Sunita, Samy and Alvin, who are grateful for your appreciations.
We have positively taken good not of your remarks regarding your welcome and our all-inclusive packages.

We usually ask our guests to sit for a few minutes to go through the administrative work with them, as we understand that the journey to come to Mauritius may be a long one; however in period of high occupancy, it is sometimes difficult for us provide a check-in before 2pm and as such guests may be asked to wait a bit longer.

Please note that we ask our guests to sign their beverage invoices regardless of their package (Emeraude All-Inclusive and Otentik All-Inclusive) as those are used for control purposes (they help us better manage our F&B).

It would be our pleasure to welcoming you again during your next stay in Mauritius Island,

Bradford-on-Avon, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 14, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for 10 nights and returned to the UK a couple of days ago. We were looking for a relaxed, low key, warm weather stay in the southern hemisphere and that's what we found. It ticked all the boxes for food, accomodation, service, location and value.

We stayed in a Standard room. Note that unlike some of the previous comments they are not always on the second floor with a sea view.Consider a Superior room. Ours was downstairs facing inwards. That said it was perfectly adequate. Decent sized bedroon with a small but adequate bath and shower area (with rain shower). The air con was definitely useful as October marks the starts of the Mauritian summer and the heat and humidity were picking up. We did intially have some problems with a kettle and the toilet plumbing but these were fixed in no time.

We had an all-inclusive package. However, there is also an Emeraude all-inclusive package offered on arrival at a charge of €13 per person per day. For that you get spirits and cocktails, teas,coffees and pastries in the afternoon and a small discount on spa services.It's good value if you like a few drinks. We declined and that was right for us.

The food was served on a buffet basis between 7-10am, 12.30-2.30pm and 7-10pm. There was a lot of variety with different themed nights - Mauritian, Indian Ocean, Italian, Chinese, Indian etc. Very good quality and plenty of variety with the excepion of the ubiquitous fruit cocktails at lunch and dinner.

Staff were excellent, unfailingly polite, smiling and helpful - take a bow Alvin, Samy (Ni hao!), Sarita, Jimmy, Coco and Ravi.The girls on reception were efficient but lacked some of the warmth of their colleagues. I would, however, agree with an earlier reviewer about the taxis outside the hotel. They operate a cartel. For example they all quoted Rs 2700 (£50ish) for an island tour. A walk along the beach and other local drivers will find you offering a day tour anywhere for Rs1500. The taxi drivers also insist (once you are in the cab) on dropping you off at 'designer' clothes outlets. As I said to one driver it was wasting everyone's time as UK tourists, in particular, will find clothes much cheaper back home. I suggest you make that clear before you agree on a price.

The beach was across a quiet local road, all of 25 metres from the entrance of the hotel. Belle Mare public beach is stunningly beautiful. About a mile long backed by Casuarina trees. Ok the beach outside other nearby hotels a few hundred metres away in either direction are more groomed with fancier parasols but remember guests there are paying considerably more. There are some water sports available, though touts are not too intrusive, and the hotel lays on a free glass bottomed boat which is mildly distracting for an hour. This part of the Indian Ocean is not blessed with the prettiest underwater vista but the local guide was a nice guy and informative about life on the island.

Evening entertainment was centred around the open air bar adjacent to the two smallish pools. During our ten nights we saw a trio of contemporary dancers who were ok, a Sega group who did a brief 35 minute slot largely going through the motions (though the sight of some of my compatriots ignorantly sitting with their backs to them during the performance must have been demotivating) and an excellent 3 piece group call Trio Rebelution.Those guys can really play and sing!

In summary, this was a great place to stay for a relaxing 10 days of doing not very much. The time spent here and indeed in Mauritius was about right and everything was made just very easy and comfortable for us. It's a perfect getaway from smartphones,smartpads and other annoyances of the modern world. Well done to the staff and management!

Room Tip: Try for an upstairs, sea facing room
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DavidKLondon
hotels_attitude, Ashok Mooroteea at Emeraude Beach Attitude, responded to this review, October 21, 2012
Dear David,

I would like to thank you for your warm appreciations on Emeraude Beach Attitude and its personnel: those have been shared with all the Family Members, including Alvin, Samy, Sarita, Jimmy, Coco and Ravi who are grateful for your kind words.

We are pleased you enjoyed your Holidays in Mauritius while staying with us and it would be our pleasure to welcome you again in the near future,

Warm regards,

Kent
Reviewed October 12, 2012

My husband booked this holiday through Kuoni and we had high hopes for our honeymoon in paradise !

I honestly have mixed feeling about my 7 days in Mauritius.
This review is suppose to be only on the hotel and it's not to blame for the weather and strong winds even though it is located on the windy side of the island.

My review of the hotel:
It has a lovely decor, great layout and should have been very relaxing venue for our honeymoon except i was too busy being annoyed with the weather.
I loved the spa it was amazing, the highlight of the hotel - i had the female masseuse. The receptionist agreed to a half price discount for all treatments which made it even better!

The pool looked lovely but the weather was too cold to take a dip. I was delighted to sunbath here when the sun came out.

Restaurant - I liked the breakfast, we were always greeted beautifully by Ravi - very friendly & professional man and the chef would make pancakes or eggs in addition to the wide variety of other foods in the buffet.
Dinner was disappointing at first as the buffet food didn't really have any taste to it but Jimmy, a waiter took us under his wing and made special arrangements for us so that the food was more to our liking but still not great. It was good.
Surita was very good waitress and always made sure i had a glass of red wine within seconds of sitting down for dinner. I loved the staff here and the custom made pizzas!
Bar area - I would recommend that all staff that work behind the bar have lessons on how to make popular European cocktails. I really missed that i couldn't enjoy them as part of the holiday all inclusive package. All the cocktails on menu had the local brand of rum included so it got a bit boring. I loved the iced tea!
The barman was a bit of a pain as he kept complaining to me about his work situation...
I just wanted a friendly person to serve me drinks. Also, I think the hotel should have waiter service around the pool as it's small enough area to do this!

Evening Entertainment: There was nowhere else to go in the evening but i didn't mind being stuck there as the other guests were great fun, we all sat around after the local entertainment finished, drinking & playing cards and chatting. The evening entertainment was quirky and fun.

The all-included excursions: The glass bottom boat trip showed nothing but dead coral, don't bother going on this. The trip to ile de cerf was cut short for us, we had to return at 1pm instead of 5pm because our hotel uses another hotel's boat & they give their guests priority. I was fuming as it was the first time i enjoyed proper sunbathing.
I liked the beach there as it was sheltered from the wind!! I even swam in the water as it wasn't too cold.

Overall, I won't be going back to this area of Mauritius because of the weather & wind.
I experienced huge disappointment when i couldn't lie out on the beach and swim in the sea due to the strong winds and cool temperatures. I checked the weather everyday on my iphone using the bar wifi and although it said 25 it didn't feel it!
All the trees grow at an angle due to the wind. We stayed 7 days and of those 3 was probably hot enough to sunbath comfortably.

I just wanted to experience paradise with my new husband but instead it was all a blah !

Room Tip: Stay in a standard room as this is upstairs and offers a better view.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 11, 2012

Arrival:

1st impressions were a warm welcome from Samy & Dana with iced tea & cool towels. Bit of a bumpy start as there was quite a lot of confusion - they were overbooked & we were asked to move to another hotel for our 1st night. As we were on honeymoon we weren't keen but we were persuaded with a generous upgrade to the full all inclusive for the whole 2 weeks. It took a long time to get all this sorted though & it was lunch time before we were finally transfered to their sister hotel, the Tropical Attitude (not ideal having been travelling for 24hrs by this point!).

Once at the Tropical we were treated very well, had sparkling wine delivered to our room & were given a fruit basket. It was a nice enough hotel, right on the waterfront, but once we got back to the Emeraude we were really happy with our original choice, a much better mix of ages. An information sheet detailing the hotel services etc would be a useful addition on arrival as we didn't discover some details (dive centre, film list, restaurant a la carte options etc) until well into the holiday.

Hotel & Rooms:

Like many reviewers here, we booked with trepidation due to some of the less than positive reviews the hotel had received. Having learned to read between the lines on Trip Advisor, I felt confident that the negative comments were from nit-pickers rather than genuine problems & we were so relieved to be proven right!

The hotel is lovely, a relaxing reception area with huge comfy armchairs big enough for 2, a nice open air restaurant & a cute thatched bar area with (clean!) sand under foot. Facilities are 3* but very well executed & definitely better than many other 3* hotels I've experienced.

The double pool area is small but does the job & is kept clean - anyone there is plied with drinks from Samy without having to move a muscle! A lot of people have mentioned issues with availability of sunbeds but we never had a problem the few times we used the pool area - every hotel I've ever been to has its territorial few who stake out 'their' space for the duration but there were always beds if & when we wanted them. The beach is beautiful, rockpools to the left & a fabulous stretch of sandy heaven ahead & to the right - the road you cross is quiet & it really is only a minute to the beach. Coco provides excellent service with drinks, pizza slices & pineapple & we were never bothered by beach hawkers.

Our room was small but had absolutely everything we could wish for & its compact size did not in any way detract from its thatched cuteness. The aircon is noisy but welcome & the shower is heavenly! Rooms are beautifully clean & the origami towels decorated with flowers on occasion are a lovely touch. (Better pillows would definitely be worth investing in though!)

The gardens at The Emeraude are far superior to The Tropical & are beautifully maintained.

Food:

We really enjoyed most of the food - lovely fresh & interesting salads, a different buffet every day, lots of fresh fish & mauritian curries. There was always plenty of choice, never the same thing every day & very good value for 3* - I think that those who complained about the food were either expecting 5* food for a 3* price or are simply unadventurous eaters. There were usually European choices for those that wanted them & Jimmy made a point of telling us that if ever we didn't fancy anything on offer the chef would be happy to cook on request - this was service above & beyond &, although we never took him up on it, we were very impressed that it was offered.

Our only comment would be that not all Westerners like bland food & perhaps the buffet could include one spicy dish for those that like flavour & one that caters for those who prefer milder seasoning. Our least favourite night was Italian night as there wasn't enough garlic, cheese & herbs in the dishes but that's a small detail - the Indian, Mauritian & Chinese nights were fabulous & the effort that went into decorating the restaurant was a nice touch.

Entertainment:

This was our least favourite part of the hotel, apart from the 3 man band on our 1st Tuesday who were excellent. We found the entertainment quite poor...then again we're the kind of travellers who prefer authentic experience to manufactured 'cultural' dances so it's horses for courses & others probably enjoyed it. I also really wanted the bar to play music in the evenings rather than the constant football being shown on the very dominant tv. I don't ever watch tv on holiday anyway & having football on at every moment was certainly not the best part of this holiday, very intrusive.

On one night the football even stayed on whilst the show played out underneath which I thought was really disrespectful to the performers. When we asked for music after the show that Saturday night we were told guests had asked for football but the only people watching it I could see were the staff. I know football is a big thing in Mauritius but it should either be shown in a separate area or people can watch it on the tv's in their room! Saturday nights are for dancing not sitting in front of the telly & it really killed the otherwise lovely atmosphere in the bar.

Staff:

Where to start...if there is one reason to pick this hotel it would be for the wonderful staff, they raise the standard of a simple 3* hotel to the exceptional. I am amazed they have had bad reviews from people saying the staff were unfriendly & unhelpful, we can't imagine anyone having this experience &, in our opinion, the service was better than we have had in some top hotels. Every single person we met couldn't do enough for us & although we will mention a few names, I want to thank ALL the staff - it's really hard to remember so many names so please know your service was appreciated even if we don't manage to mention you personally.

We had a problem with our shower our 1st night & expected to have to wait til the following day to get it fixed...nope! Within minutes someone was at our door & he sorted out the issue very quickly with a temporary fix & said it would be fully resolved the following day...which it was, very impressed with the service.

Laveena & Dana on reception were really friendly & Laveena went above & beyond whilst helping us book a car to explore with & was always ready to help. The spa staff were very sweet & the free daily mini-massages either on the beach or by the pool were fab (we also had the couples massage which i would recommend). The room & grounds staff always had a smile for the guests, however busy they were, & the hotel guards were always on hand to help people over the road or help get the car out of the compound.

Finally, the restaurant & bar staff. Sarita is an absolute treasure but all of the staff (Jimmy, Rahoul, Gary et al) are warm, courteous & helpful. Samy (& mini Samy...Navind?...apologies if I've got that wrong!) were great. Samy treated us like royalty & always had a lovely twist on the standard cocktails on offer (ask for Le Maestro!). We certainly had no trouble getting squiffy on the measures given on few the nights we fancied doing that! What really exceeded expectations was how Samy always anticipated what you wanted & when you wanted it...so many times we were about to get up to go to the bar only to find Samy was already standing by our table with drinks in hand! Way to go Samy, you were a star & really helped make our holiday with your friendliness & wonderful service.

Room Tip: It's not a huge hotel so having a room away from the bar area doesn't mean a trek to get to...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank travellingpickle2012
Reviewed October 6, 2012

We can't fault the hotel especially the service from Samy behind the bar! The food wasn't anything special but catered for most people.

However once we left the hotel there wasn't much to see even after doing most of the trips on the island. To be honest I can't see why Mauritius is hyped up so much. Man made beaches, no history and everything has either been brought here or is man made. We also felt we were just another couple doing the same conveyer belt like tourist attractions. It is also very over priced for what you get.

• Stayed September 2012
hotels_attitude, Ashok Mooroteea at Emeraude Beach Attitude, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Dear guest,

We are a little bit surprised to read you did not enjoy your stay in Mauritius Island despite your warm appreciations of our hotel and personnel.

We are saddens that you feel this way about our country and home but understand that holidays are a very personal time and that expectations are different for people.

We were pleased to welcome you at Emeraude Beach Attitude,

Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 6, 2012

After a lot of nonsense with British Airways over the all inclusive package prior to leaving.... *** make sure you check you are going to get what you thought BEFORE YOU LEAVE THE UK, there was a problem with their website Jan- March 2012****

I am not going to repeat what others have said, this is a lovely hotel and excellent value. The rooms are good, very clean, I would go for the standard room like we did as they are upstairs and you have a nuice view of beach or mountains.The general staff- waiters, cleaners, gardeners, bell boy reception all work really hard to make sure you have a great time and the manager Ravi very approachable.

They ran out of glasses at the bar a few times which meant you had to wait for drinks… if you want strong drinks ask for the local spirit straight up and no ice and add to your drinks. We had 10 cocktails each on the first night and were barely squiffy!

Entertainment very good also.

The food was good and as others have said if you dont like whats on offer they will cook something you do like.

All I would say is ‘watch out’ for the taxis outside the hotel; they have an interesting strategy, they think that they can rip you off on your first 1 or 2 days and then are quite surprised when, after you have spoken to other guests, discover that you are going down the road to get a taxis 1/3 of the price of the hotel taxis. We had one who actually accused us of wasting his time by not buying anything at a designer outlet he insisted we go in for a look! Needless to say I gave him short shrift on that one and of course never used him or a hotel taxis again.

Room Tip: Upstairs and way from the bar.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Woody039
Dear Woody,

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback on your recent stay at Emeraude Beach Attitude: we are pleased you had a good time in Mauritius during your stay with us.

We have taken good note of your remark regarding the Tides Bar

We would be delighted to seeing you again at Emeraude Beach Attitude,

Tropical Attitude
#1 of 8 in Trou d'eau Douce
Veranda Grand Baie Hotel & Spa
Mont Choisy Coral Azur Beach Resort
Mont Choisy Coral Azur Beach Res...
#3 of 10 in Trou aux Biches

Been to Emeraude Beach Attitude? Share your experiences!