Constance Belle Mare Plage hotel is found on the East coast of Mauritius around 60 minutes transfer time from the hotel via car. We had a private car waiting for us on arrival arranged by White Sands Tours (I would very much recommend White Sands Tours, we used their services several times during the course of our stay, I will write a separate review in more detail).
The hotel is located, as with the large majority of the hotels on the island, on the coast with an adjoining beach. The car transfer from the airport took the coastal road route, which drives along some very scenic coastal roads with stunning views of the lagoon. It also passes through some local villages, which gives an immediate idea of local coasting living.
On arrival at the hotel we were met by a plethora of hotel staff, opening car doors, tending to luggage etc. We were given some chilled towels ,which after two flights and around 20 hours total travel time were very much welcomed, then shown through the impressive hotel entrance and lobby to the bar, where we were served complimentary fruit cocktails whilst another member of staff checked us into the hotel.
We stayed in room 975 on the first floor of the hotel block, located opposite the tennis courts. Our room was a short two minute walk to the lobby, within yards of the tennis courts, hotel pool, poolside bar and lunchtime restaurant, and around 20 yards from the beach (see photos). The room itself was very pleasant, decent air conditioning, bath and shower, comfortable bed, large flat screen tv, complimentary room safe etc, all the usual in room services of a hotel of this rating.
The beach in front of the hotel is worth the trip and cost of admission. Despite the hotel complex being fairly sizeable, the beach never feels overcrowded or even close to being busy.
Food & Drink:
We ate breakfast and dinner everyday in La Citronnelle (from 7-10am). The restaurant is buffet style, with sections that are made to order as you wait. I always feel nervous when staying half board at any resort as you have already paid up-front for potentially substandard food, but the food in La Citronelle was excellent. Breakfast offered fresh breads, fresh fruit, made to order eggs or all variations, cereals etc
Dinner (served from 7pm onwards) changed every night with a few permanent sections (Italian pizza and pasta section, salad section). There were meat and vegetarian options every night. Dessert was hugely enjoyable due to the variety.
Lunch was the one downfall of the hotel dining. We ate at one of the poolside restaurants near our room on our first full day. We had a very nice two course meal, both having a very nice burger and french fries, unfortunately this cost around £25 each, which is slightly excessive. We ate most other days on the beach using the beach service, which offers a similar menu to the aforementioned restaurant but a vastly reduced price!
We spoke to other guests who had travelled to the local supermarkets to purchase lunch goods. Several commented that the local supermarket in Belle Mare is overpriced. They recommended that a slightly longer, slightly more expensive taxi drive to the Poste de Flacq offers a much cheaper supermarket.
With regards to drink, we aren’t big alcohol drinkers so didn’t find this a huge problem. An occasional glass of wine was fairly expensive at around £9. Soft drinks were in keeping with most nice hotel resorts.
The hotel offers a wide variety of water based beach amenities (water skiing, windsurfing etc), which I cannot comment on as we didn’t use any. We did however use the hotel spa, which was very pleasant, I would particularly recommend the Ylang Ylang massage. The hotel has several tennis courts, several pools, two golf courses.
The hotel is fairly quiet and is a great option for holiday makers looking for a quiet, chilled out, relaxing holiday. The setting and views are very impressive and romantic, and the hotel setting, staff and services only add to this atmosphere.
The hotel staff and the people of Mauritius as a whole are very very friendly and pleasant. The service at the hotel was fantastic throughout from the maid services, reception staff, spa staff and restaurant staff.
Pros / Cons
Overpriced lunch options
Other Tours during stay
White Sand Tours 5 star
Undersea Walk 4 stars
Catamaran Trip to Ile Aux Cerfs 5 stars
South Mauritius Tour 5 stars
Casela Nature & Leisure Park, walking with Lions 5 stars
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Soft white sand, blue sky dotted with white clouds and turquoise lagoon which beckons long soaks…Stylishly renovated Constance Belle Mare Plage offers comfortable accommodations in a lively and cosy atmosphere; choose from one of the 104 Prestige Rooms, 149 Junior Suites, 6 Deluxe Suites, 18 distinctive Villas or the Presidential Villa for a top-notch island holiday. Seize the opportunity to try new things while having fun. Whether it’s relaxing on the beach or at one of the trendy bars, working out at the gym, pampering at the spa or enjoying water sports, Constance Belle Mare Plage is for an exciting memorable break! Seven distinctive restaurants and six hip bars situated at prime locations await you. And if you are staying with your kids, you will be thrilled to know that they will be having their share of adventures and fun too, at the Constance Kids Club. Set along a stunning 2km white sand beach, in a sheltered bay on the east coast of Mauritius, Constance Belle Mare Plage is a harmonious combination of tropical environment and Constance Chic. Combining space and design, all rooms are thoughtfully furnished and decorated for your comfort. Inspired by the unique beauty of the East Coast; space and style were combined to create comfort, to radiate brightness and to breathe in the freshness of the Indian Ocean. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Cheap Tickets, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Ctrip TA, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, TravelUp, Cancelon, Hotel.de, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Constance Belle Mare Plage reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Constance Belle Mare Plage Hotel Belle Mare
- Belle Mare Plage Mauritius
- Belle Mare Plage Hotel Mauritius
- Constance Belle Mare Plage Mauritius