Just back from a 14 night holiday at this resort hotel and we enjoyed every minute - even the few days of intermittent rain and expected cyclone - the latter eventually gave us a wide berth.
Acting on advice of friends, we opted for half board and a junior suite - 723, on the fourth floor overlooking, through the palm trees, the northern pool and the sparkling sea - distant waves breaking on the coral reef. 4th floor meant steps up and down but we enjoyed the seclusion that the position offered.
The food - quality and range - could not be faulted. Dinner, buffet style, no matter how extensive, does get repetitive, but we broke this with using the option, with friends, of the Deer Hunter Restaurant, overlooking the Legends golf course. To see a herd of deer in the evening light pass quietly around the 18th green is a definite 'one off'!
The staff were proficient, courteous and attentive. From the room cleaner, Gloria, Pool Sun Butler Previn and the extensive staff in the dining hall, not forgetting the reception staff and buggy drivers - all were most helpful.
The junior suite was a good choice in our view, Having the additional space is such a boon when on holiday. Verandah with settee, two armchairs, table and upright chairs for the occasional room service breakfast (we used this facility on the days that we left early on a trip out - room service charge only). A large living area with king size double, settee and chairs, desk and upright chair and whilst I wouldn't want one at home, a large wall mounted flat screen TV for the evening news, major tennis and golf tournaments if the weather was inclement, or that enjoyable time before dinner after coming up from the beach or poolside for a cup of tea.
The hotel complex is large so one doesn't get the feeling of being in a large hotel. We always managed to get a decent table for dinner (overlooking the sea) and therefore the same staff for ordering drinks etc. For breakfast we ate in a different area overlooking the water areas that surround the northern part of the dining hall.
We liked the overall relaxed ambience of the hotel, the caring attitude of the staff - without exception - and the amenities, especially the pool and surrounding loungers. Most patrons appear to favour the beach loungers but we like to get away from the serried rows. Also the onshore prevailing wind was not evident around the pool which was sheltered but still in view of the sea. As one not known to relax easily, I actually switched off completely!!
We travelled with If Only, booked through and at the suggestion of World Travel (BA, St Helier opp Sand St car park). If travelling World Traveller Plus on the long haul, one is automatically upgraded to Club on the Jersey/Gatwick legs. This is very useful due to use of BA Lounge on the home journey as the BA flight from Mauritius arrives at Gatwick at 0530 and the first flight home is 0825. At least two hours to relax, shower, catch up with the papers and have breakfast (excellent creamy porridge!)
The agents for If Only in Mauritius were White Sand Travel - we had 'superior car transfer' within our package and through White Sand we arranged trips to the South - several areas of interest visited and secondly, the Pamplemousses (as they spell it) Botanical Gardens and Port St Louis - excellent waterfront with views of the harbour and shopping malls with good eating opportunities for lunch or snacks.
Being a bit of a 'Martello' Tower anorak, we had to arrange a private full day taxi trip to the 'Martello' Tower Museum at La Preneuse. This was clearly marked in our pocket Berlitz Guide, but unknown to White Sand and not marked on their otherwise excellent maps - hard mounted A3 size used by the tour reps and guides. However, Gertrude and Preety, the White Sand reps that served our hotel arranged the car and it was a very interesting visit - which left time for a further visit to Port Louis and our favourite eatery at the Waterfront.
In all, an excellent holiday. We recommend (without prejudice!) Belle Mare Plage!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Soft white sand, blue sky dotted with white clouds and turquoise lagoon which beckons long soaks…Stylishly renovated Constance Belle Mare Plage offers comfortable accommodations in a lively and cosy atmosphere; choose from one of the 104 Prestige Rooms, 149 Junior Suites, 6 Deluxe Suites, 18 distinctive Villas or the Presidential Villa for a top-notch island holiday. Seize the opportunity to try new things while having fun. Whether it’s relaxing on the beach or at one of the trendy bars, working out at the gym, pampering at the spa or enjoying water sports, Constance Belle Mare Plage is for an exciting memorable break! Seven distinctive restaurants and six hip bars situated at prime locations await you. And if you are staying with your kids, you will be thrilled to know that they will be having their share of adventures and fun too, at the Constance Kids Club. Set along a stunning 2km white sand beach, in a sheltered bay on the east coast of Mauritius, Constance Belle Mare Plage is a harmonious combination of tropical environment and Constance Chic. Combining space and design, all rooms are thoughtfully furnished and decorated for your comfort. Inspired by the unique beauty of the East Coast; space and style were combined to create comfort, to radiate brightness and to breathe in the freshness of the Indian Ocean. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Booking.com, Priceline and Jetsetter so you can book your Constance Belle Mare Plage reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Constance Belle Mare Plage Hotel Belle Mare
- Belle Mare Plage Mauritius
- Belle Mare Plage Hotel Mauritius
- Constance Belle Mare Plage Mauritius