“Gorgeous hotel, amazing setting but service cannot be beaten!!”
Review of LUX* Belle Mare

LUX* Belle Mare
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Belle Mare
Reviewed June 24, 2013

My wife and I chose this hotel for our third wedding anniversary and we were not disappointed. After approximately 16 hours of total travel from door to door via an Emirates flight via Dubai, we arrived very tired and weary.

Solis (Mauritius), the partner company of The Holiday Company arranged the transfers and excursions and we arrived in a private car from the airport which took about one hour. Check in was quick and easy, we were sat down and given drinks and fruit as refreshments. We were booked in to a junior suite, however despite two e-mails and one phone call prior to our trip requesting a refurbished pool view room, this was not delivered and my mails were not responded to.

The room we were given was very nice although there was a long hair on the bed and certain areas could have done with better cleaning. To anyone reading this you must remember the point is in how these issues are dealt with and not the problems themselves. Of course issues should never occur but they do, anywhere. Lux Belle Mare staff are extremely friendly, caring and passionate and take each fault reported personally. Sheila the front office manager was amazing and immediately called me at the room to say that we would be getting a refurbished room the next day.

The next day, that is exactly what we got and it was beautiful, even the bed sheets were different, amazingly soft!

Food wise we mostly ate in the kitchen (buffet) and at The Beach restaurant and staff to look out for when wanting extra special service are Kris, Marius and Ramesh. All the food is halal and the pork areas are totally separate with separate pots and pans as well.

The pool looked divine but was not heated and hence very cold.

There were many free excursions and some to pay for. We went out on the glass bottom boat for a hour and also paid for a three hour fishing trip via the hotel's own boat house. We were very well looked after especially given that I wear below knee artificial legs and have deformed hands. Two staff went with us on the fishing trip.

Through the tour operator partner Solis, we did the North Mauritius tour and were escorted by an amazingly nice guide called Vom - bless him, he even held me and encouraged me as I went up hills to see the view.

Entertainment was provided at the bar on most nights and we saw Indian dancing which was one of a few we saw. I smoked Shisha at the bar but I felt that the staff struggled when trying to prepare the shisha, this was reflected when I smoked it. I must thank Chica at the bar who was very friendly and welcomed us to the bar on our first day.

We chose half board as being Muslims we don't drink, an upgrade to fully inclusive would be $66 a night which we though was not wrath it for just lunch and a couple of soft drinks.

On Friday I wanted to pray at the mosque and I asked staff if anyone from the hotel goes. They responded with the Chief Secuirty Officer of the hotel, Anwar taking me in his car as he also prayed.

This hotel has to be the absolute best I have ever visited when it comes to service and Lux must be congratulated on this level of service - may you long maintain it.

1  Thank Rehan07860
PBertrand1, Regional General Manager at LUX* Belle Mare, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2013

Dear REHAN07860 ,

Thank you very much for your very constructive comments! We are not perfect, you are right! But because we care, we can turn around some potential disappointing situations! We could not do it without some star Team Members such as the ones you have mentioned. Your comments help us to improve our service, we take them very seriously! I am glad you have enjoyed your stay with us! Count on us to maintain and improve our standards, you are too important for us to let you down! Sincerely, Pascal

There are newer reviews for LUX* Belle Mare

Reviewed June 23, 2013

First time in Mauritius and we choose LUX Belle Mare situated on the east coast. Having read previous reviews on various forums this resort ticked all the boxes. Firstly I can not emphasise enough how the staff went out of their way to accommodate us, the service not only in the restaurants but throughout the resort was excellent. We opted for a Pool Suite on a half-board basis, which gave us the freedom at lunchtime to explore other local restaurants. Part of the reason we choose LUX as it is situated on a fabulous beach in a quiet area, the nearest small town Belle Mare is a 10 minute walk away.

The resort offered a variety of water based activities which were free of charge such as glass bottom boat trips (twice daily) and snorkelling to the house reef (twice daily), you could windsurf and also kayak. The snorkelling was good, having visited the Maldives on a number of occasions it will always be difficult to to compare to that but certainly well worth the trip as saw a good variety of marine life. The resort also put on various yoga, stretching classes which my partner loved, volleyball, tennis there was something for everyone. The swimming pool is great a little cold early morning but we found it empty at times which was perfect, there is also an aqua-workout class.

We thought the food was excellent, we ate at each of the restaurants each offering something different. East offered a fusion of Thai, Chinese and Japanese dishes, Senses was more traditional Mauritian, the Kitchen had various themed evenings in a buffet style and the Beach restaurant was great for a burger or grilled fish. Cafe LUX offers some of the best tasting coffee I've had, a blend of various beans which is actually roasted at the resort which you can buy also (makes a nice gift).

The Spa is excellent, we opted on our day of arrival to go for a scrub and full body massage which gets rid of any post flight tension! As a guest at the resort you can use the steam room, sauna and plunge pool at no charge. There is a good range of treatments on offer, we emailed beforehand to find out what the packages and the prices were.

Certain things are expensive at the resort but it is a five star resort at the end of the day, stay in a five star hotel in London and you find inflated prices, it is relative.

Mauritius itself is beautiful, really diverse scenery from La Morne in the South-West to Chamarel (seven coloured earths) to really stunning beaches on the East. Our only regret is we didn't spend longer as we stayed for 7 days but could have done with at least 10 to explore more of the island. My partner and I are already making plans to go back next year, Mauritius has a lot to offer and staying at LUX Belle Mare I highly recommend.

Room Tip: If you can opt for one of the 12 villas, they are stunning.
1  Thank Andy A
PBertrand1, Regional General Manager at LUX* Belle Mare, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2013

Dear Andy A ,

Thank you so much for your very nice comments! I am glad you have enjoyed your stay with us! We are all so happy that you had tried all our restaurants and almost all the services we offer!
It is true that Mauritius has a lot to offer as a destination and that 7 days are definitely not enough! We look forward to welcoming you and your partner back to LUX* Belle Mare in a not so distant future! Sincerely, Pascal

Reviewed June 23, 2013

We stayed here 3 days and wished it was longer. The grounds are stunning and our room was very impressive with a small patio leading onto the gardens, a large sitting area and bedroom with separate walk in wardrobe and large bathroom with twin wash hand basins, large bath and double walk-in shower. Very good toiletries provided and large towels, replaced frequently. There was fresh fruit on arrival and a bowl with pretty gardinias again replaced daily. The mini bar was topped up, plenty of water supplied.
There are different beach areas and plenty of options for lazing in the sun or shade. Waiters on hand for drinks, this is quite relaxed so could be a wait. All beach towels provided and exchanged whenever you want. The homemade icecream is delicious!!
We helped roast the coffe for the Lux Resorts which was informative and fun at the Cafe Lux. There are a good range of activities available. So you can be as active or laid back as you like. The walk to Belle Mare village takes about 20 minutes.
The food served at all the restaurants was excellent. The evening entertainment was varied, even got my husband dancing!! The music doesn't go on late as they are very aware of not disturbing other eresidents.
If it wasn't for the longhaul flight we would be back in no time!! Thank you everyone.

Dear MaryD0109,

Thank you very much for your very nice comments! I am glad you have enjoyed our Café LUX* and that you participate in the roasting of our coffee! For the readers who are coffee lovers, it is important to mention that we , at LUX* Resorts, roast our own coffee. The coffee is a pure Arabica blend from Guatemala, Brazil and a little bit of Ethiopia. We look forward to have you tasting it! Thank you again for the great comments! Cheers! Pascal

Reviewed June 23, 2013

We spent 10 days here for our 20th wedding anniversary and thoroughly enjoyed it. We had a lovely welcome with a cool drink and this set the scene for the rest of the holiday. The hotel was full but the only time you were aware of this was at breakfast. Other than that you wouldn't have known. The pool is enormous and I took part in aqua gym most days. The beach is idyllic and the water sports on offer were varied from water skiing lessons to glass bottom boat trips. There was a buffet restaurant and 3 a la carte restaurants. By far the best one was the Beach which served a selection of Mauritian delicacies including fish as well as more traditional food such as burgers and pizza, all of which were delicious. We ate lunch there most days as it was so tranquil and right on the beach! There were themed nights and if you are celebrating a special occasion you are offered a special celebration menu and your choice of restaurant to eat in.
I would suggest booking ahead for the a la carte restaurants as they could get busy and were not always available. i would say that families tended to eat at the buffet.
We stayed in one of the standard rooms which were fine but I did see the posher rooms which looked lovely if you are willing to pay a bit extra.
I would suggest that staying all inclusive is the way to go as the meals and alcohol could become pricey, the standard of food and service was excellent.
The spa is well worth a visit and has its own separate pool, plunge pool, sauna and steam room. I had 2 massages and the second one was probably the one of the best I have had in my life!
We left our camera near the beach one night and hadn't realised this until one of the managers brought it to our attention in the morning. One of the security guards found it and handed it in. This sends out a signal that the staff take a pride in what they do and make an effort to ensure that you enjoy your holiday to the utmost.
I would like to single out a few of the staff who were exceptionally helpful.
Joelle spa manager and Sindy at spa reception. Sabrina who gave one of the best massages ever!
Kris manager at the Beach restaurant, Pascale, Ravin and Anu (waiting staff)
Vijhay the bar manager and all of the fitness team.
Special thanks to Navin who found our camera.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear SuzieQE2,
Thank you very much for your great comments! I am glad you have enjoyed your spa experience, Joelle's team is brilliant, Cindy is a doll and Sabrina a fantastic therapist! The Beach and the Bar teams are also terrific! Thank you for recognizing them! I am glad you have mentioned Navin from the security department; INTEGRITY is the backbone of our values at LUX* Resorts and we strongly believe that without it nothing can stand. Navin is an example of our pledge. Sincerely, Pascal

Reviewed June 22, 2013

2 weeks in late May 2013 and couldn't fault the place or the service.
Rooms and gardens are excellent, we stayed in a quiet garden room on the top floor.
The beach restaurant is a fabulous setting and the food is delicious and good choice.
Senses and East are a special event with first class food, faultless service and great wine choice.
Basically the whole staff have a genuine warmth and friendliness, they were attentive and pleasant at all times nothing was too much trouble, if you wanted a special dish made up they would try and accommodate.
The location is terrific, clean and just a pleasure to be a guest of the hotel.
The coffee shop is great. The water sports are all inclusive including motor boats ( we stayed all inclusive) star gazing on the beach was fun and interesting.
All in all a perfect holiday that leaves us with some treasured memories.
The acid test of any holiday: will we go back? absolutely..
For the cynics, yes there were a couple of things not perfect, but to be honest Its not important in the scheme of things because the overall experience leaves you totally satisfied.
Alan and Beverley.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Alan and Beverley,

Thank you so much for your fantastic comments! We are so glad you have enjoyed your holiday at LUX* Belle Mare and particularly the food our fantastic culinary team prepared for you! At the matter of fact, I am going down to the kitchen in few minutes as the Executive chef called me to invite me to taste his new East menu which he is working on for the next season! I wish you were here to enjoy it with me... I guess, you will have to come back to have a taste of it!! It will certainly be a pleasure to welcoming you back!!

Reviewed June 20, 2013

Thank you to all the team at Lux Belle Mare for making our recent 6 day stay at the hotel so blissful! We were looked after from dawn to dusk and, so well fed!!!! The beach was delightful and swimming options were very good. Our accomodation on the 3rd floor was fabulous and very tasteful - am missing everything about Lux Belle Mare!

Room Tip: On the thrid floor, passing traffic on the stairs was minimised so made it easier to go to bed earl...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Kerri E ,

Thank you very much for your comments! I am very happy you have enjoyed your stay at LUX* Belle Mare! We miss you too! :)
We hope we will have the pleasure to welcoming you again in our little paradise!

Reviewed June 20, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I spent 4 nights at Lux for our Honeymoon. We had previously spent a week at Angsana Resort in Balaclava Mauritius before going to SA and returning to Mauritius so we were ready to relax.

I must say the location was spectacular on a pristine beach and within walking distance of the town.
The rooms were simple but very nice and the grounds were beautiful. The pool is nice however not as big as mentioned and mostly very shallow. The food is great. Eat at the Restaurants for the best food and service.

We found the service to be dissappointing at times and great at other times. We loved that there was entertainment and activities on offer. It felt though that it was difficult to find the right person to assist with questions. We booked the bike tour and were given the incorrect time and were not actually booked as we were rudely told(yelled at) by the gym staff who were late anyway so we missed out. I was strangely called at 6:30pm the night before we left for feedback which I found uncomfortable as no action was taken(i had already raised my concerns).

I'd recommend staying on full board as food and drinks are very exspensive in the resort. US$6 for s small can of coke, US$15 for a vodka pineapple and US$30 for a burger. If you stay on half board venture to the town and stock up on supplies and save 80%

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank HullyAus

Dear HullyAus ,

Thank you so much for your comments. We have shared your comments regarding the bicycle tour with the team and we have addressed this issue very strongly. we are also making sure this type of inconvenience never happens again. Regarding our prices, we constantly make surveys in all the island to make sure we are well positioned. I need to re-assure our readers by mentioning that a burger cost USD 17 and not USD 30. I thank you very much for your comments which are helping us to improve the experience of our guests.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Belle Mare
#3 of 13 in Belle Mare
Constance Belle Mare Plage
Constance Belle Mare Plage
#2 of 13 in Belle Mare

Been to LUX* Belle Mare? Share your experiences!