“Definitely not 5 star”
Review of LUX* Belle Mare

LUX* Belle Mare
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Belle Mare
Reviewed April 30, 2013

My family and I stayed here for 3 nights at the end of March 2013 after having had a wonderful week at Le Morne. I should say we lived in Mauritius for 18 months some years ago, know the island well and have been back for several holidays. We are used to Mauritian hotels being luxurious with plenty of space and large beach fronts. On arrival, we were shocked to see how crowded the place was. People lying in rows around the pool and on the beach, and loads of very noisy children. It was the Easter weekend but we have been to Mauritius before over Easter and not experienced this. Our rooms were fine. We had the refurbished ones which overlooked the garden and had a glimpse of the sea. Our main complaint was that the hotel pretends to be 5 star which it definitely is not!. The whole place feels like a holiday camp. The main restaurant, the Kitchen, had the look and feel of a canteen, was noisy with lots of children running around and offered a very average buffet. Nothing like the quality of food in other hotels which we have stayed in Mauritius. The hotel does not have a big beach front and the area roped off for swimming is not that large or very deep. It was impossible to find somewhere peaceful and escape all the people. On one of the nights we were there, there was a big group playing football on the large piece of beach that you see in the photos! We were so disappointed that the day after we arrived we decided to move hotels. I have to say that the hotel staff at LUX Belle Mare were very understanding and helpful about sorting out our move. Our travel agent in London arranged this and we moved to another 5 star hotel just down the road on Easter Monday where all was peaceful and just how it should be!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
9  Thank Angela D
Write a ReviewReviews (5,702)

Reviewed April 30, 2013

I can honestly say my husband and I had the best holiday ever. I am not easily pleased but I don’t have a bad word to say about my visit to Lux Belle Mare. I read the reviews on here before our stay and seen a couple of poor reviews but I’m so glad this did not deter me as we would never have found our paradise.

The people
From the moment of arrival the staff completely looked after all your needs. Giving us a nice cold wash towel and drink at the reception. I was a little worried that we would have to wait around because we arrived at the hotel around 6am and I know check in isn’t till 2pm but this wasn’t a problem. We was quickly driven in a golf buggy to our room.

I have never come across such lovely people and would like to thank each and everyone of them for making this a holiday one to remember. I would like to give special thanks to Videsh (who was our butler) he took such good care of us and I’m not sure our holiday would have been the same without him and he’s attention to detail. He genuinely seemed to care about our needs and wanted to make our holiday the best it could be. It seemed like his pleasure rather than his job. I will not forget the extra mile he went for us with a smile on his face. I don’t think I could thank him enough for making our time there so special.

The room
We stayed in the Ocean view villa Le Flamboyant and I’m so glad we did. It was so beautiful and homely. For the whole 7 days of our stay every time I opened the front door the place took my breath away all over again.. It had nicest bathroom with a sunken bath that overlooked the garden and pool. Also had a large separate shower. The bedroom was large with a separate dressing room. The king size bed was very comfortable which for me is a big deal because I always miss my own bed while away.

The food
I only eat fish and my husband chicken and fish and there was plenty of lovely things to choose from each night. They have 4 restaurants 3 of which you need to pre book if you want to eat there. As for everyone food while away is a big deal and I wasn’t disappointed. From what I seen the menu was not repeated during our 7 day visit. One day we went to the hotel next door for lunch and the food was ok and staff friendly enough but it just proved to me that we had made the right decision staying at Lux. I’m not sure what the prices are like for food as we was all inclusive though I’m sure not everything is covered by the all inclusive package but you would have a hard time trying to find what isn’t covered. Every night our 3 course meal, wine and cocktails was included. The coffee was the best I have ever tasted I believe it’s organic and grounded on sited. Coffee in England has been almost undrinkable since and I really wish I had bought some to bring home.

The grounds
The beach was the perfect white sand and clear water that you see on postcards the bluest sky that we would never see in London. It was not a private beach as it is shared by the other near by hotels but it was never packed or crowded. The gardens within the hotel was beautiful and well kept. I was pleased to see they had security cameras around which made me feel safe. Because we had our own pool we did not use the communal pool but it was very big and beautifully designed. We don’t have children but there was a few families with children and they all seem to be having a great time in the pool. So I would say if you’re a couple or a family this is a fantastic place to visit.

The spa
We had a couple of treatments at the spa which was lovely we got there early to use the steam room and there pool which you can use even if you are not having any treatments. I think the treatments were reasonably priced and we went back to our room floating and so relaxed. The pool is heated, quite and peaceful. Our first treatment was a 30 minute massage which was so nice we booked in for a full hour 3 days later.

Room Tip: Private dinner at gazebo which we did our last night and it was heavenly. If you can afford it...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DeeD_100
Reviewed April 25, 2013

My partner and I stayed here for 2weeks to celebrate Brian's big birthday, our tour operator Nicola sent emails asking for a sea view renovated room weeks before we were due to arrive after a long journey we arrived booked in and shown to our room the staff asked if this was ok I said it was more like been in a jungle or you saw was canopy of trees we complained and moved the next day to another room no sea view more trees and the pool ended up complaining third day moved to another room all of the rooms we were put in not one was renovated we even offered to pay to be upgraded that fell on deaf ears. It seems unless your face fitted nothing napped we had to get Nicola involved this is the first time of travelling I have had to do this I wanted this to be a perfect holiday and felt let down we booked a meal in the morning to go to the beach restaurant and that even got missed and walked up towards the bar to be greeted by a member of staff only to find he was the beverages manager He got us in another restaurant but he was a guy who worked along side staff and worked his butt off. We spoke to the manager of the hotel who apologised for our upset. He told us the hotel was full but I have noticed people were upgraded in the period we stayed. I feel we were let down by this hotel although the staff were great. We work hard all year to have a lovely holiday and went to Mauritius ten years ago to celebrate my partners 50th and were expecting the same at this place as we got then even though this was a 5star hotel it needs to be updated. We are now looking for somewhere to celebrate my bday in jan wonder where we will go.

Stayed: February 2013
3  Thank Diane M
Reviewed April 25, 2013

We visited the Lux Belle Mare in February half term this year for a 7 night stay.

Overall we had a lovely holiday and the hotel was great for families. Our room was not one that had been refurbished so it was very dated decor wise but it was very spacious (more than big enough for 2 adults and our 2 children aged 5 & 6) and very clean with a perfect housekeeping service. Although the junior suites sleep four the second two people have to share a small double sofa bed which was just about ok for our two but given another year or two this would not be ideal. This does tend to be the same at most hotels but i'd love to see more proper "family" bedrooms available with two separate single beds or bunk beds.

The grounds of the hotel are lovely and never feel crowded and the swimming pool is ideal if you have young children as the first half is mainly paddling pool depth (but beware as it does then plunge down to quite deep just in the back corner) There is a separate area which is deep enough to swim in and this is where they do the aqua aerobics etc.There were always sufficient sun beds available whatever the time of day we arrived at the pool although we found the poolside service a bit hit and miss.

We found the staff to be ok. Many reviews rave about the staff and yes they were friendly, but this is what i would expect in any hotel, let alone a five star hotel. The service was a little inconsistent however. It could take up to 20 mins to get a drink in the bar and on one occasion we were presented with a bill to sign for two drinks which had never turned up at all despite us having asked twice and being assured they were on their way. Being on all inclusive we just signed it as it made no difference to us but things like this just took the edge of the service.

The food was good although the buffet for children was underwhelming. They are of course welcome to eat from the adult buffet and this is what ours tended to do but if you go to the trouble of having a children's buffet section i believe it should be done with the same attention to detail as the main buffet. Our children's favourite thing about the breakfast buffet was the pancakes in the shape of Mickey Mouse with a nutella face! Our favourite restaurant was "The Beach" mainly for the setting but the food was also very nice and their children's menu was really lovely.

I have to be honest and say that although the hotel lays on many activities, we took advantage of none of these except the free glass bottom boat ride! We spent our days at the pool and beach occasionally tearing ourselves away to eat/drink/etc. Our children did make use of the Kids club every now and then during the day which is really lovely. They have a full programme of activities, split into 1 hour slots so children can pick and choose what they do and can dip in and out for activities without having to go for a full morning or full day. The activities were well organised and, according to our children, great fun. The activities included pizza making and cake decorating with the hotel chefs, shell collecting and shell painting, treasure hunts, learning about the plants in the hotel's herb garden T shirt printing and games in the pool and many many more fun things. The staff here were the best that we encountered at the hotel and our children loved going to the club to see them.

Overall I would recommend this hotel to families with children and i would definitely recommend taking the all inclusive option as I think this does represent value for money. The hotel is definitely not the best or the most polished of 5 star hotels we've stayed in but it is nice enough to satisfy adults yet it is genuinely very family friendly.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 24, 2013

Our first all-inclusive experience, normally used to more independent travelling, and we loved it!! Travelled with 3 kids aged 16, 13 and 7 and there was plenty for all of them. Delighted to be upgraded to a villa, and were spoilt rotten by the wonderful Chandan and Allen at the beach. Preferred eating in the a la carte restaurants (esp the Beach) rather than the buffet-style Kitchen, but still very good food all round. All staff incredibly friendly and couldn't do enough to make us happy despite the mixed weather!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Ashish M, General Manager at LUX* Belle Mare, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2013

Greetings from LUX* Belle Mare! Thank you so much for your beautiful review for us. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and the resort and the team here created some wonderful memories for you to remember. Thank you for mentioning Chandan and Allen in your review. I will personally compliment them. We look forward to welcoming all of you back for a yet another wonderful holiday with us next year;

Reviewed April 23, 2013

As their motto says…. “Helping people celebrate life” and they are standing true on that.

We are Mauritian resident and we went there for our family get together, ofcourse this was not our first visit. We are used to LUX Resorts and their hospitality, for which we go back each time!

Like always, they were just fantastic…. From welcome… to rooms… to food …. to personalized service……

The service is something which makes them different from other resorts… its warm, welcoming, personalised, yet very professional…

We went there to celebrate my father’s 70th birthday….. I was bit nervous as how I will organize everything… but the team at LUX made it so simple… and took away all my stress… to ensure that I enjoy and celebrate life….

Having seen many other resorts in Mauritius… I have to say that LUX Belle Mare holds one of the whitest and largest stretch of sandy beach… and the biggest swimming pool in the central area….

One of the team member said to me that how strongly they believe that Each Moment Matters… .. and they try their best to assist their guest to celebrate that moment…

I have not heard that for the first time…. But coming from a front line team member…made me think… the amount of empowerment … which the management has given to their team…. To make their guests happy….

A truly world class resort and I am proud to say that MY paradise Island Mauritius holds this world class resort….

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Dear Rajesh P, Greetings from LUX* Belle Mare! Thank you so much for the wonderful review for us. You have detailed the essence of the resort so beautifully through your review - the entire team at the resort is thankful to you for detailing all the various aspects which make us different and special in Mauritius. We are glad that you find us to be your second home in Mauritius and this honour means a lot to us. We look forward to welcoming you back for a yet another wonderful holiday at the resort in the near future;

Sincerely;

Reviewed April 23, 2013

If your idea of the Indian Ocean is barefoot luxury, peace and quiet, chilled out evenings in luxury surroundings please don't book this hotel. I chose this based on reviews on this website and can only say I wish I hadn't.

If however you want to be overrun by people, dance music playing day and night in the bar and pool, have a room which looks like any other in any other hotel in any part of the world, eat average food and I'm no connoisseur but its about pub grub level, with an A la Carte price, get hassled by beach sellers every 15 minutes relentlessly - it would be spot on !

This hotel is big, very big indeed and would be the English equivalent of a holiday camp/butlins/centerparcs. There are so many rooms the pool is overcrowded - forget lying by the pool as you've got no chance and as for peace - try 50 screaming kids, no kids club reps in site and this is coming from a parent with a 6 year old who also thought it was too noisy and overcrowded.

5 star hotel it's not - 4 star holiday camp it is and when you think it's not a cheap holiday away with a very long flight, you'd be better off going to somewhere like Tenerife, Dominican Republic, Spain, Cape Verde or likewise and save yourself a couple of thousand pounds. You will have the same holiday and feel much less vexed because your wallet hadn't been dented to a similar level !!

The staff are nice, well at least most of them and because it's so busy it's not their fault but you just can't get the attention and the nice touches you'd expect from a property of this price. You also don't ever get asked if you would like a drink whilst relaxing, always having to make the trip to the bar and wait about 15 minutes for them to surface. Indeed a number of staff I spoke with openly admitted yes it is too busy and there are too many children.

My mother described it quite aptly - mutton dressed as lamb - how true !!

By the way just for clarity I went there when School holidays for mainstream were over not during peak Easter which apparently according to a staff member who shall remain unnamed, was even worse.

Room Tip: Book the Oberoi that's where I went - 5 star like this hotel but to give you an idea if the Lux...
10  Thank jdlewis35
Ashish M, General Manager at LUX* Belle Mare, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2013

Dear JDlewis35, Greetings from LUX* Belle Mare! Thank you for your review for us on this forum. It is really unfortunate that the resort didn't meet your expectations and within the day of arrival you decided to move to another resort on the island. The LUX* Belle Mare is a big resort and we sincerely believe that with the various features and experiences on offer in the resort, we are able to offer a pleasant holiday experience for our guests through personalization of service standards. Our guests regularly mention to us that LUX* Belle Mare is a place which grows on you and you tend to enjoy it more and more with every passing day at the resort. I am glad that you found our team to be pleasant and helpful and it is a pity that we as a resort were not a match to your expectations. I respect your opinion about us as it is a very subjective matter and our belief that we are a wonderful place to relax and enjoy is reinforced by reviews and comments from several guests of ours who love the resort offerings and their holiday experience with us. All the same, every review is important and we shall work on attributes to further improve the resort experience and ensure all our guests enjoy their holidays to the fullest;

Sincerely;

Four Seasons Resort Mauritius at Anahita
The Residence Mauritius
The Residence Mauritius
#3 of 12 in Belle Mare

Been to LUX* Belle Mare? Share your experiences!