The hotel's motto is luxury is overrated and this hotel is definitely not luxurious.
This hotel review is from an American perspective. In my estimation, 70 percent of the guests at this hotel are from Europe, and the rest are from South Africa or Asia for the most part. As an American, I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.
1) The staff is really friendly and tries their best to make you feel happy and your stay enjoyable.
2) The grounds are beautiful.
3) The pool is beautiful, but it’s not heated
3) Outdoor massage was very nice.
1) The food is horrible and expensive. I did not book the all-inclusive package therefore meals were not included in my rate. To add the meals package is approximately $90 USD per day per person for breakfast and dinner. That does not include drinks. From a European perspective that is about that about 70 Euros. The meals package does not include the specialty restaurants which have an up-charge. I can't remember the exact price for the upcharge but it may have been another $40 per person to eat at the specialty restaurant if you are on a meal plan.
The worst part is that the food is horrible. We arrived late at night and the hotel suggested that we eat at the buffet. After being told the price, I think $50 USD per person, we choose to eat at the specialty restaurant. Initially we were told that there were not reservations available but then we said we would just go eat somewhere in town, and the hotel immediately found a seat for us. They do not want you to leave to eat outside of the property. They told us that 90% of the guests were on the meal plan. Every day they hounded us to make reservations at a restaurant when they saw us. They also called our room on more than one occasion and asked why we had not made reservations at one of the restaurants. Most hotel guests don't leave the hotel property unless they are going on a tour arranged by the hotel.
The next night we left the property for dinner and there is a good restaurant on the road which leads to the hotel (Symon’s, I believe). There aren't many restaurants near the hotel because the hotel is isolated. However , there are a few and there are actually good. There are two right next door to each other. One is really good and the other is just ok, but the average entree is probably 8USD.
The food options on the property are also very limited and bad. The Peking duck my wife ordered was full of fat and bones. We ordered the flambéed lobster and they had to try twice at the table to light the lobster. The first time they brought the lobster out they tried to light it, but they were unsuccessful after several attempts they bought it back into the kitchen. On their second try, they were unsuccessful again and finally they poured a good bit of alcohol on the lobster and finally got it to light. The lobster was horrible, cool and tasted like alcohol.
2) Hard mattress. To resolve the issue the hotel put a pad on the mattress but the bad was still as hard as a rock.
3) Bad beach. The beach is not very swimmable. It is very shallow and windy along with a lot of seaweed. The other side of the island has better beaches. I would suggest you skip Mauritius and go directly to the Seychelles which is much nicer.
4) Bugs: Complained about bugs in the room. The hotel sent someone and the guy told us don't worry about the bugs they are not harmful, rather than attempting to remedy the situation.
5) The body scrub we got was shorter than the time state in the brochure.
6) Most of the picture on this website are professional, and make the resort look rooms look much better than they are.
1) If you must stay at the hotel do not eat there.
2) Make sure you have a rental car to visit other beaches, cities, markets, and restaurants.
3) I would suggest you skip Mauritius and go directly to the Seychelles which is much nicer.
4) I would note that most of the people who reviewed this property have only written one review.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, Priceline, Booking.com, Travelocity, TravelUp, Agoda, Cheap Tickets and TripOnline SA so you can book your LUX* Belle Mare reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Lux Belle Mare Hotel Belle Mare
- Beau Rivage Resort
- Beau Rivage Mauritius
- Beau Rivage Belle Mare
- Mauritius Beau Rivage
- Beau Rivage Hotel Mauritius
- LUX* Belle Mare Mauritius