“A Delight.” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Belle Mare
West Yorks.
“A Delight.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2012

We have two nice holidays every year, and hopefully will continue to do so, god willing. Because we take it in turns to choose where we go, sometimes it is difficult to agree. I love to go diving, whilst my wife likes a choice of dining and scenery. Every now and then we hit on the odd gem of a place, The Shangri La's at Muscat and Kota Kinabalu and La Retreat, Seychelles, but nothing is quite like the Belle Mare.
We visited back in 2006, Jnr Suite, half board, and really enjoyed ourselves. The Blues Dive centre is one of the best I have come across, whilst the Blue Penny Restaurant has not been surpassed, anywhere. This includes the "Atmosphere" 123 floors up in Dubai, name dropper, where we were lucky enough to dine at last October. Being realistic and it’s hard to do so whilst surrounded by such luxury, the Belle Mare does take some beating.
Yes we have resided at some hotels where the entrance / reception is the size of the Lake District and cost as much as a small East African country, but everything here is in proportion. It is not the most lavish, nor is it the most economic. In some hotels you feel as though there is almost an air of arrogance, not here. The staff are always there for you, smiling because they are actually happy, but not wanting to wipe your bottom lip, should Madam dribble her 3rd large Gin and Tonic.
If there is one point that has changed, it is probably our attitude towards modern day parenting. The little noisy people sometimes did earn the request of "Waiter my gun please" but I think that is down to us just being non parents, and low on tolerance.
The Belle Mare is well over 20 years old now, so I’m told, but you would not think it. With at least 4 swimming pools to play in, a huge, safe beach, free water skiing, some of the best restaurants going it does not show its age. Go for the Jnr Suites, on the 1st or 2nd floor, the ground ones are ideal for Families and are not so private. Don’t bother with the "Sea View" ones, as there are Palm Trees growing between you and the sea which restricts the view. Just go for the standard ones. The rooms themselves are as you would expect from a hotel of this standard, and other reviews deal with that, so we will mention other things.
Trips out are a must, the south tour to the multi colored sands, waterfalls, shops and Rum Factory are a good day out. Also the Catamaran day trip is well worth the money.
Port Louis to the north is fine, but once you have seen one market, there is not a great deal of difference to the next, or the next and so on.
Other things in the hotel worth a mention, the Spa for a massage, go for it, and also the mini putting green, hours of silly fun. Oh yes and you can borrow bikes as well.
We have said we will go back in two years time for another dose of what the Belle Mare does best, let’s hope nothing much has changed, especially the staff!

Room Tip: Jnr Suit 1st or 2nd floor.
6 Thank MikeandTracey

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (671)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Jyvaskyla, Finland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2012

Our stay offered us more than we could ever have even imagined! Absolutely beautiful hotel area and interior, wonderful beach and for the most, very friendly and polite staff! When ever we wanted something to drink or eat, we could order those from the beach staff without having have to walk to the drink bar by ourselves. Our room was cleaned twice a day! We we're constantly asked and made sure that we feel ourselves comfortable and joyable. And the breakfast buffet - so much to choose that you go crazy!! We also enjoyed the atmosphere at nights and the beach restaurant offered us some memorable dining moments! We loved our stay and we do recommend this hotel to everyone looking for some luxurious peace and qiuet! Would go back there anytime, greetings from Finland!

• 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank PSiHeartTravelling
Legnano, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2012

We spent 6 nights in february 2012 for our marriage anniversary. Our junior suite pool room was reallly beautiful, great terrace, private garden and ....the ocean with comfortable chaises longues on a white beach. Lux occupies the best part of the wide beach Belle Mare.
All the staff was very very kind and helpful, our room was not simply clean but decorated with flowers every day. The four restaurants are very well managed and offer a great variety of food. Courtesy and care of our needs was the leitmotif of our stay.

4 Thank Hottinger D
Ashish M, Manager at LUX* Belle Mare, responded to this review, March 12, 2012
Greetings from Lux* Belle Mare - your home here in Mauritius. The entire team here joins me in thanking you for your beautiful comment for us on Trip Advisor. May I thank you specially for listing the four major special features of the resort which make us unique and differentiate us from the others on the island. 1. The spacious and comfortable rooms. 2. The wide stretch of the white sandy beach; probably amongst the widest stretches of beach for any resort in Mauritius. 3. The wide variety of quality food and beverage offerings and 4. The very passionate and friendly team working with us. Each of the above play a very important role in making a great holiday for all our guests and we are glad you had a perfect holiday experience.

We look forward to wlecoming you again in the near future;

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2012

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the lux belle mare in february.
The hotel itself is beautifully decorated in calm neutrals. It smells continuously of fresh jasmine or such like, and has the air of calm. Rooms are big, and towels and sheets are changed every day- which i found rather extravagant due to the 'save water' sign in the bathrooms. Rooms all face the sea, but you cant actually see the sea from most rooms, as they are set back from the beach behind grassy area with tall palms.
We went with our two kids who were extremely well catered for. Nannies and creche for the youngest ones, beach volleyball, football organised every day for the older ones. There is also a games room , ping pong, tennis and a wii and tv room, and a cinema room which we only discovered on our last night! - not all of this was advertised on the website. In addition there is free waterskiing, windsurfing, sailing, glass bottom boat trips.
We really enjoyed the soft sell aproach of the hotel- nothing forced upon you. The staff were cheerful and respectful and well presented. They treated us extremely well.
There was different entertainment every night- a beach barbeque one night, with local dancers and flame throwers, market stalls and a band another night, open air cinema viewing another.
Boules, hammocks, draughts nestle in the shade of the palm trees off the beach for those quiet moments, and there's a fresh juice stall in the morning by the pool, which changes into an icecream parlour in the afternoons.

Local guys walk the beach selling bracelets/sarongs etc but they are not annoying. Also on the beach is Sam, who sells trips around the island, such as swimming with dolphins, or visiting the isle des Cerfs, both which we did, and I highly reccommend you use him. He will also arrange parasailing, and walking on the seabed in the bay of the hotel.
Take sea shoes if you have them- there are a few sea urchins around.

Even with all this going on, it is extremely relaxing, and you can do virtually nothing , undisturbed if thats what you're there for. The spa is exceptional. Best pampering ever!

Down side? Rather slow service at the bar. Thats all.

Room Tip: I would say the higher the better for the view, and you dont get people waking past and peering i...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Fenella N
Ashish M, Manager at LUX* Belle Mare, responded to this review, March 12, 2012
Greetings from Lux* Belle Mare! Thank you for a wonderful comment and an even more beautiful title to the feedback - "Holiday of a lifetime". We are really glad that you had a perfect holiday experience with us. We truly believe that Lux* Belle Mare is all about an experience and a journey for all our guests towards exploring something different and unique through the holiday. Our various offerings from the fruit juice bar to the Ice cream parlour, the open air cinemas to the entertainment performances, the screening of important sports events on a large screen to the beach dinners (all so nicely listed by you) are all aimed at providing moments for guests to cherish and remember their holiday for a long time. The team at the resort thanks you for kindly mentioning all of the above as also the passionate, friendly but professional apporach of theirs in your review.

We look forward to welcoming you back at your home here in Mauritius;

Alicante, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2012

We were unexpecedly upgraded to a villa and this is a "blessing" because of their new deign. They are only 3 years old and this is "noticeable". The service is kind and attentive (butlers Kumar and Chadran especially) and the beach of the hotel is one of the best spots in Mauritius.
I recommend to hire the hotel limo to do an island excursion even for four hours. We paid 108 Euros for a brand new black WV Tuareg and the assistance and attention of their driver Navin who showed us around before taking us to the airport. Anyway the taxi fare to the airport could reach 55 Euros... so take advantage of this treat!! The only objection I can make is that there are many families with children (noise at the big pool and buffet restaurants) mainly from France during the half term holidays in the European schools.

Room Tip: Their new 12 villas is another hotel and the beach spot opposite a luxury
1 Thank Moises1064230
Ashish M, Manager at LUX* Belle Mare, responded to this review, March 12, 2012
Greetings from Lux* Belle Mare. Thank you for posting a wonderful review about your experience at the resort. We are glad you had a wonderful stay with us and we thank you for listing the team members who made a difference to your experience at the resort. Like Kumar, Chandan and Navin, all of our team members are always keen to ensure a relaxing and memorable holiday for all our guests.

We look forward to welcoming you back at your home here in Mauritius;

Pyrton ,Oxfordshire, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2012

What struck me was the enormeous warmth and friendliness by the staff at the hotel!
this without beeing afraid or too respectful, but with a sense of humour which was liberating!
This was the thing that stood out at a very well managed hotel indeed!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Mats O
Ashish M, Manager at LUX* Belle Mare, responded to this review, February 29, 2012
Greetings from Lux* Belle Mare! The entire team here joins me in thanking you for the beautiful comment of yours for us on Trip Advisor. We have always beleived that our team members at Lux* Belle Mare are our biggest strength and their passion, friendliness and sincere desire to delight every guest of ours is outstanding. Your note reinforces our belief.

The service combined with the very many beautiful features of the resort make a completely relaxing and rejuvenating holiday experience for all our guests and I am glad that you had a wonderful stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you again at your home here in Mauritius;

Ashish

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2012

I went to Mauritius as a good friend of mine got married there and I'm the maids of honour. So for my last 2 days in Mauritius, I decided to spoil myself a little and was searching for a nice hotel. I was never regret with my choice in staying with Beau Rivage. Even it has been a few months back by now, I still feel excited when i browse back my photos. I couldn't believe it, the place was really amazing and it looks exactly in the photos posted.

The minute I check-in, I did felt i was in heaven. The view was spectacular. I booked myself a junior suite and everything was so personalized. I was greet by a welcome note and fruits on the coffee table. The little walk-in wardrobe space was awesome. They even provide you a beach bag where you can used it during your entire stay in the hotel. The bathroom was clean and well maintained. You have everything you need.

Service was seriously good. Whatever you need, they will tried to accommodate. They were so helpful in advising me and arranged a day tour trips and DVD rental, upon knowing I'm traveling alone. Everywhere i go, the staffs are able to greet me by my name. And each time I went out, by the time I'm back to my room, everything was clean, towel has been changed, bed has been made and they even laid the room sandals beside my bed. Sheets was flipped at the side to prepare me for bed.

Food was amazing and there was huge varieties to choose from. The pool and beach was something to die for and you can never had enough. And I enjoyed all the yoga classes by the gazebo.

If i ever returned to Mauritius, I will definitely come back. This resort wins my BEST RESORT & SERVICE hands down. Recommended - big times!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Greetings from Lux* Belle Mare. A sincere thank you for the beautiful note of yours on Trip Advisor for us. The entire team joins me in thanking you for sharing with our future guests the little features which make our resort special. We honestly believe that our friendly and passionate team members bring about a mood in the resort which envelopes our guests in a warm and relaxing atmosphere from the minute guests check in till their departure. This combined with spacious rooms, a wide variety of quality food and beverage offerings and lots of treasures to explore within the resort premises make a perfect holiday experience for our guests.

A big Thank you for identifying us as your BEST resort and service experience and we really appreciate your note;

We hope to welcome you soon once again for another wonderful holiday experience;

Ashish
The Residence Mauritius
The Residence Mauritius
#2 of 12 in Belle Mare
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,441 reviews

Been to LUX* Belle Mare? Share your experiences!