“a memorable birthday treat !”
Review of Ambre Resort & Spa

Ambre Resort & Spa
Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Belle Mare
Reviewed February 16, 2014

We had a wonderful stay at Ambre resort during february - from the first day we arrived to the last day it could not have been bettered. The food was excellent and they made every effort to cater for vegetarians. The staff from the cleaners to the manager were forever smiling, courteous and friendly - we were made to feel like part of the family not just guests. Everyone was just great but we want to extend a special thanks to the forever smiling Anoushka, Ravi, Karishma, Olivio in the aerobics classes and all the reception staff as well as the manager and Vikesh the guest relations manager. Each and every one of the staff made us feel special and we were very touched by the surprise birthday cake and champagne they provided for my wife. Nothing was too much effort for anyone. The rooms, the pool and the gardens could not have been bettered. We look forward to coming back!

6  Thank mds201
Ambre H, The Management at Ambre Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2014

Dear Valued guests,

Thank you for the time afforded to write such a sweet review about your experience at Ambre.

We feel immense pleasure knowing that the little extra we did helped in making your stay a memorable one.

As great writers said "Do not wait for the perfect moment; Take the moment and make it perfect!"

We wish to reiterate our heartfelt thanks for having chosen our resort for this special occasion.

The whole team looks forward with great enthusiasm to welcome you back home.

The Management.

There are newer reviews for Ambre Resort & Spa

Reviewed February 12, 2014

Having spent 8 nights at Ambre - Palmar was an incredible experience -1st to 9th Feb 2014
My Husband and I had the most relaxed pampered week
The Staff are Professional friendly and nothing was too much trouble (anywhere in the Hotel)
The variety of food superb
The pools and beach magnificent
A must to visit

Room Tip: We had room 171 near the spa great Block -Superior Room large and away from the main noisy areas
6  Thank JillyT2014

Dear Sir/Madam,

We thank you for your precious time taken to write about your personal experience of sojourning on our shores.

As always agreed "Simple words are always the most powerful ones"

We thank you from the bottom of our heart for having chosen our hotel for your small holidays.
we sincerely wish the next time it will be longer.

The Management.

Reviewed February 12, 2014

We were in a superior room , ground floor, overlooking the sea. Large room, nicely decorated as per the photos on web site. Room 140. Extremely happy.

Resort kept immaculately clean.

Excellent choice of food available and very good presentation.

All staff except bar and restaurant were very helpful and attentive.

For me the only thing that stops me giving a 5 rating is the bar staff. They ranged from excellent (the 2 young lady's by the pool and the regular young man in the pub) to useless and sometimes rude.

The restaurant staff in general were better and although mostly very friendly , the service was sub standard. Every single meal I ordered water with ice and for 12 days (normally twice a day) I had to ask 3 times for the ice. Usually on the 2nd time of asking 20 minutes into my meal, the would be smiling saying it was on its way. Getting cold water should not be so difficult.

Free glass bottom boat and snorkelling trips. Book at 9am to avoid disappointment.

Aerobics in the pool every day and volleyball on the beach.

Various demonstrations. A bit hit and miss as to if and where they do it. Waited 30 minutes once told it was canx then they turned up. The ice carving is impressive.

Regular professional nightly entertainment.

Free wifi. Very bad connection. Keeps dropping out. Can only be used in reception. You can pay for a better service.

There are a wide range of cocktails on offer. No fresh juice is used in the making of any of the cocktails. None are made with a blender either, so where a piña colada would often be an iced drink, it just has a few ice cubes in. All drinks are made with large measures if alcohol , which is a plus or a minus :) Cocktails content varies quite considerably even if 2 people are having the same thing.

Service is the only thing that let this lovely resort down for us.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank handbag1
Alessandro S, General Manager at Ambre Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2014

Dear Guests,

We wish to express our profuse apologies for our belated reply.

We thank you for time afforded to post your review on Trip Advisor and take with pleasure about your overall satisfaction.

On the other hand, we regret to note about the inconveniences you were subjected with regards to the services delivered by few members of our team for which we express our sincere apologies.

We wish to reassure you that these points have already been discussed with key members concerned and that reinforced training and all pertaining corrective actions have been taken to avoid such recurrence.

We renew our thanks for having shared with us these shortcomings which we value and shall continuously assist us to improve our level of standard.

We hope to be honoured to be of service to you during another stay at our resort.

With renewed appreciation,

Reviewed February 12, 2014

Have visited Mauritius for the last 6 years. Chose the hotel based on price and the improving reviews. Whilst the service was not always acceptable these were minor irritations and did not allow them to fester and spoil what was on the whole a good holiday. In comparison to other hotels on the island service and food are on a parallel. Some individuals are better than others and those with the right attitude really stand out. The rooms and general areas are clean and well kept and during wet weather all pull together to keep areas safe for guests. Pricing for the hotel is about correct for what is definitely 4 rather than 5 star. I was surprised how large an area the hotel covers and even when capacity is increased staff cope well.

Golf is an important part of my holiday and the inclusion of green fees was always going to be the deciding factor. I was absolutely amazed at the lack of use of this facility from the hotel as for the number of times I played I estimate I saved £800. Service at the golf course was superb with special mention for Kevin. The guys at the course always got me and playing partners out on the course as soon as we arrived. The course is utilised far less than other courses on the island I have played at. Previous reviews of the course are correct in that the course is tough and accuracy off the tee is vital. My advice is you will enjoy the course more going off the yellow tees and you will lose a lot less balls. If you have a handicap of more than 18 make sure you have at least 10 balls per round if you are hitting provisionals. A guy off a handicap of 25 lost at least 25 balls during his first round. It it the most picturesque course you will ever play and one of the most difficult to play to handicap.

Entertainment at the hotel is mainly centred around dance shows which my wife and I thoroughly enjoyed,however, this may not be to everybody's taste. Having said the above the shows were well attended with standing room only on some nights owing to inclement weather. I have found this is not the norm in Mauritius. Some hotel bars are deserted by 10 o'clock some nights and have a complete lack of atmosphere. This is certainly not the case in this hotel.

So in short if you happy with price and have the right expectations this the hotel for you.

3  Thank ManchesterGarden1
Alessandro S, General Manager at Ambre Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2014

Dear Guests,

We wish to express our most profuse apologies for our belated reply.

We thank you for the time afforded to post this wonderful comments for us on Trip Advisor.

Your feedback is very helpful for us to provide better service and boost up the motivation of our team members.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed February 11, 2014

Why I chose Ambre in Belle Mare, Mauritius for celebrating the Silver Jubilee of our wedding I dont really know. Maybe their website and the reviews in Tripadvisor were the tipping point in their favour from the hundreds of other choices available.

From the moment we stepped into the hotel, it was lovely, whether it be the rooms facing the lagoon, the choice of food in the restaurants, the sea-activities available, the pool, the music and dances in the evenings, the helpful staff with their polite demeanor, everything had loveliness to it. We had a memorable complimentary silver anniversary dinner by the sea-shore, with a delectable menu, topped off with a lovely chocolate cake and a chorus of 'congratulations, and celebrations, I want the world to know that ...' from the serving staff.

The only sore point, for half-boards, is the cost of drinking water, and strict 'not even a glass of free water' in the restaurants. How much can a hotel lose for doling out a few water bottles, as cheap as 15 rupees each in the market, instead of limiting it to just two per room per day? I am sure this strategy to earn a few extra rupee cannot offset the bitter after-taste of guests choking on a dry mouthful. I have seen guests buying water by the cartons in the supermarkets and bringing a bottle with them for dinner, so I guess the hotel is not really making too much that way too. Shame, really, for otherwise such a generous package.

However, if I happen to be in Mauritius again, I am sure I will once again look up what Ambre has to offer, before taking a final decision on my choice of hotel.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guests,

We wish to fore mostly apologise for our belated reply and express our heartfelt thanks for having rated our resort on Trip Advisor.

We express our heartfelt thanks for having chosen our property to mark your 25th wedding anniversary and are very delighted to read about your overall satisfaction.

On the other hand, we regret to note about your disappointment pertaining the bottled water and are pleased to inform you that the hotel has recently changed its concept to adults only/all inclusive and offering several options of dining around amongst others.

We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back for another experience.

The Management

Reviewed February 10, 2014

Lovely Pool right on the gorgeous beach. Fantastic Food & all inclusive drinks including impressive a la carte options and cocktails made with real fruit. The staff were brilliant, service impeccable and the room was lovely.

There was a 'cyclone' for a couple of days so many of the water sports including the snorkel trips weren't happening. I use inverted commas because as far as we could tell it was just a bit of wind & rain (far worse every day in Manchester!) so perhaps an over reaction from the hotel but all in all this was a great holiday at a wonderful hotel.

Probably wouldn't return to Mauritius as we prefer to try new places and although it is a beautiful island with lovely people, great beaches & sunshine there's not an awful lot to see & do.
However if we did return, would definitely stay at Ambre again.

We took advantage of the free golf at Le Tousserok, which was breath taking, and went on a speedboat trip around the islands of the East coast through Chris at the beach.

Worth mentioning also were the excellent dancers each night at the bar, the difference the absence of other people's annoying kids makes, the lovely atmosphere and the great food & drink options.

It was also nice having a great mix of people from all over the world.

Thanks for a fantastic holiday to everyone at the Ambre. Would recommend.

Room Tip: We had a standard room with a balcony & sea view through the swaying palms. Didn't see a Su...
5  Thank HelenandJohn09
Alessandro S, General Manager at Ambre Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2014

Dear Guests,

We wish to express our sincere apologies for our belated reply.

Thank you for having chosen our resort for your vacation and take note with great pleasure about your overall positive impressions.

We would be pleased to welcome you should you wish to come back to our island for another holiday experience.

Reviewed February 9, 2014 via mobile

Spent two weeks here wuth my husband in january from 11th to 25th for my 50th birthday. Hotel is lovely .food lovely and people lovely. however our room (605)was not .we upgraded to a superior room but it was far from that. After checking into room I was disappointed as it didnt look like what it did in brochure.next morning I asked at reception to make sure we were in a superior room and was told we were so I left it at that .i presumed that all the rooms were like that.however all through the holiday it was annoying me so near the end of our two weeks I went to the reception and said our room didnt look like the rooms that were advertised.and was told that all rooms were different. The young receptionist asked me if I would like to see a standard room so idid. She took me to see one on the south side .well icouldnt beleive it. It was lovely .so much nicer than our supposed superior room on the north side. She told me that they were in the process of refurbishing the north side but in the brochure it states fully refurbished in 2012 so that is false advertising . I should have complained at the time but after two weeks didnt bother. However since returning home I have emailed the hotel to let them know of my dissapointment but have heard nothing back. I even emailed their head office but no reply . Wont be returning to ambre again.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bahia-Principe-PC
Ambre H, The Management at Ambre Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2014

Dear Guests,

We thank you for your useful comments and positive review of our hotel.

First of all, we would like to assure you that, even though Ambre hotel is going to host an important number of guests from TUI UK's Dreamliner flights to Mauritius as from May 2014, we will be welcoming as many, not to say more, guests from all over the world.

We have made it a point to have an important cosmopolite clientele mix at Ambre hotel, which I believe is something you are looking for in any resort you are staying at.

We invite you to contact us directly for any other specific query. We will be happy to answer these.
We have noted your interest in five star resorts. We would like to share to you the fact that Sun Resorts, our mother company, is the owner of three unique five star resorts in Mauritius, namely Le Touessrok, Long Beach and Sugar Beach, and another one in the Maldives named Kanuhura. If you are interested, I invite you to visit our website for more details.

We do request you to grant us the opportunity to offer you a personalised service on your next trip by emailing us your contact details on the following email address: info@ambre.mu.

The Management

#1 of 13 in Belle Mare
Constance Belle Mare Plage
Constance Belle Mare Plage
#2 of 13 in Belle Mare

Been to Ambre Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!