“Still Need Improve”

Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Belle Mare
Shanghai
“Still Need Improve”
Reviewed December 18, 2013

My husband and I stay there from 8th to 13th Dec. 2013. The location of this hotel is similar as the other hotel on east coast. (Out of the hotel you can't find any other facilities.)
I can only say there hardware is good but service is only average. I drive from the west coast to the hotel and their Security Guard in the main entrance can't find my booking information (good thing is he allow me to go into the hotel and check). During the check-in I show them my booking confirmation letter to one of their trainee and was be told my meal package is halfboard. Until the 3 day, I found out my meal package is "all inclusive" in the welcome letter. I check with the Front Office again and it's show "all inclusive" in their system also. (Why the trainee didn't check it when I'm check-in.)
When I go into my room, I found there is no tower (including hand tower, face tower, bath tower and floor tower) in my room.
The unprofessional service is also happened in F&B. I have a day trip in Blue Bay on 10th and need left the hotel around 7:30am, it suppose to be the opening time for their breakfast. I'm afraid I can't have my normal breakfast on time so I ask for the early breakfast around 7:00pm on 9th. The choice is very limited. When we go to dinner on 9th, I check with their waiter when will be their breakfast start to served and he told me from 7:00am. So I inform him to cancel my early breakfast for tomorrow morning. But when we go to the restaurant on 10th morning around 7:00am, our early breakfast was still be set up and my husband was be told he can't take the food from the buffet counter even it's ready. I'm also working for hotel and never met this kind of unflexible service in my previous experience. (We meet our friend who is stay in Hilton and Four Seasons in Blue Bay. Their hotel prepared 2 big box for each of them including sandwich, boiled egg, yoghourt, fruit & drink.)
Overall, their Houseboat service is good and some of their FO staff is very helpful like Nela even she is also a trainee & Deepak.

3 Thank Jessica H
Ambre H, The Management at Ambre Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 26, 2013
Dear Guests,

We wish to express our sincere thanks to you for having used this media to express your recent vacation experience at our resort.

At the outset we would like to express our gratitude for the constructive comments expressed which we take very much at heart and will certainly help us to continuously improve our service level.

On the other hand, we would like to express our profuse apologies for the inconveniences you were subjected to.

We wish to reassure you that after thorough investigations and inquiries, we have been able to trigger the root causes of theses unfortunate shortcomings. We have recently reviewed our training, communication and overall service level.

We have reinforced the training and positive listening with an acceptable level of flexibility with regards to meeting and finally exceeding our guests’ satisfactions.

On a conclusion note, we would like to express our appreciation about our boat house services and part of our Front Office Team; particularly Nella & Deepak which rest assure we shall share with them.

We seize this opportunity to wish you a Merry Christmas and Happy new year & look forward to welcoming you very soon for another memorable sojourn at our shores.

Kind Regards,
The Management.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (702)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 18, 2013

Spent a pleasant, relaxing week on an all inclusive deal at the Ambre resort.
First impressions were very good with welcoming, helpful staff and a beautiful view of the pool from the reception area. We arrived early, approx 7am, so we were directed to have breakfast and then the room was available. Which was very helpful as I thought we would have to wait much longer for room check-in.
Had a standard, ground floor room at the end of the complex which was rather small for a 7 night stay and so after the 1st night decided to upgrade to a superior room on the 2nd (top) floor at the opposite end of the hotel. This room had plenty of space with a large double and a single bed, an armchair, big wardobe. A large bathroom with walk-in shower, separate toilet and a small sea view balcony. The room was basically furnished but very bright and sunny.
The guest facilities are very good with a pleasant poolside area, large well equipped gym, tennis court, computer room with internet access, massage spa and plenty of pool/beachside activities.
The main restaurant offers a good choice of buffet food, with a great variety of curries, fresh Indian breads (naan, roti, paratha, etc) and fresh fruit. The chefs and restaurant staff are all very friendly and helpful.
It can get busy, particularly when the beachside restaurant has to close due to a rain storm. The restaurant also got very hot at times as no breeze can reach the inner seating areas and the ceiling fans were not turned on.
The evening food at the beachside restaurant was also very good, with an a la carte menu focussed on seafood dishes. The presentation of the food is beautiful and based on French style with sauces rather than straight forward grilled or fried fish.
I was impressed with the staff at the gym and the ones running all the activities, they were always cheerful and friendly..tempting you to try different sporting activities or get up dancing at the bar. Lots of fun.
Most disppointing was the beach itself, of course it has beautiful white sand with swaying palm trees but there was a lot of seaweed on the beach and in the water. People did come to clean the seaweed away from the seashore but it was only temporary and the public beach next to the hotel was never touched. Close to the shore there were sharp pieces of broken coral that easily cut feet and you have to be careful where to step. For swimming and snorkelling, the lagoon is quite poor with few fish to see and again the problem of weeds and sharp coral. I wondered if there had been a bad storm that brought so much broken coral into the lagoon.
There was a pleasant walk along the beach northwards which eventually takes you to a small temple. The walk passes along the side of a number of hotels and public beaches and it's possible to deviate into the village of Palmar where there are a few tourist/designer outlets but nothing else.
The walk in the opposite direction wasn't so successful as a number of properties have been built right upto the beach itself and there were mounds of smelly seaweed and so the walk became more of an obstacle course.
Visited the local town of Flacq which has a market on Sundays and Wednesdays, plus a high street full of family style shops and a small supermarket/shopping mall. Nothing touristic, but possible to shop for a few presents.
Overall a very pleasant and relaxing stay, liked the Ambre very much and all it's staff were so helpful and friendly. Mauritius is a long, expensive journey from Europe though and so the next time I want a 'beach' holiday, I'd look for alternative beach resorts first.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank J0hnny123
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed December 17, 2013

I recently spent a week at Ambre hotel and it was an absolutely incredible experience! The resort is geared for both youthful, energetic guests as well as those seeking a more relaxed experience. The service was outstanding and food even better- ranking better than other 5 star Mauritian resorts previously visited. The resort offers a wide range of activities during the day and the night's entertainment transforms the resort into a vibrant cocoon of dancing, music and many memorable experiences. The staff are incredibly helpful and always willing to be of assistance. A special thank you to the boat house crew and recreation team for their role in making our time at Ambre so enjoyable! I strongly recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: Try to book in advance as doing so seems to ensure a room closer to the beach and main restaurants...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank ChrisY7112SP
Vacoas, Plaines Wilhems, Mauritius
Reviewed December 16, 2013

My wife and myself spent a nice weekend at ambre. We were on an AI basis and got a superior room. We also had the privilege of late checkout and likewise our AI package was extended. The staff was nice to us, esp pooja made all the arrangements. We found some bad reviews from locals experience, however there's was nothing to complain about.

Food was nice and abundant @ both indigo and la plage resto. Room was clean and spacious. Barmen were also nice. Entertainment was fine - live band or shakers night club.

3 Thank Ravi B
Ambre H, The Management at Ambre Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 5, 2014
Dear Guests

We wish to express our profuse apologies for our belated reply.

We thank you for your nice review and read with great pleasure about your best ever lived experience at our shores and for your recommendation.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed December 15, 2013 via mobile

There really is a great contemporary feel to the hotel and you can feel that the minute you enter and overlook the pool. The modern feel is heat and it is repeated in the refurbished rooms. The main restaurant, Indigo, gets a little hot, so try and be seated at the tables outside. The Italian restaurant available on the All Inclusive package is good and serves a great octopus and bean salad! See the photo of the pasta and tuna, excellent. The rooms are vey spacious and try to book a ground floor one. The hotel has a no kids policy. The gym is very well equipped and large. Beach is one of the best on the east coast I think! .

• Stayed December 2013
4 Thank TutinsPony
Dear Guests,

Thank you for taking time off during your vacation to leave us with such positive feedback and express our most profuse apologies for our belated reply.

We are glad that you enjoyed our location and we hope that you have as well as the other facilities and services provided. Thank you for your compliments which will motivate us to continuously improve and products.

We hope to welcoming you back for another wonderful recalls.

Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed December 14, 2013 via mobile

Although a nice setting is provided, the service is rather strained and you get the idea that the hotels' rule book was written to provide staff with the opportunity to say no as many times as possible.

Homophobic.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Stefan J
Dear Guests,

We wish to express our profuse apologies for our belated reply and thank you for having taken the time to rate our resort on Trip Advisor.

Please accept sincere apologies for not being able to stand to your entire satisfaction and regret that you have left our island with mixed feelings. Please rest assured that since your last visit, we have reinforced our trainings which have brought satisfactory results, which you have probably noticed through the different opinions posted on this prestigious traveller's site.

We hope that you will reconsider staying with us hence giving us another opportunity to serve you better.

Bloemfontein, South Africa
Reviewed December 14, 2013

To everyone at Ambre Hotel.

Thank you for the wonderful stay at this pristine hotel. I still have to encounter such friendly people as at this hotel. Thank you to each employee who have made our stay so special. We would love to return to this very special place!! Fond regards. Cobus Pienaar

2 Thank Cobus P
Dear Guests,

We thank you for rating Ambre Hotel on Trip Advisor. We wish to express our sincere apologies for our belated reply.

It is with great pleasure to read that you have appreciated our resort and are certainly looking forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back hopefully in the not too distant future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Belle Mare
#1 of 13 in Belle Mare
Tamassa Resort
Tamassa Resort
#1 of 6 in Bel Ombre

Been to Ambre Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!