“Simply the best”

Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Belle Mare
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Simply the best”
Reviewed October 13, 2010

First let me say thanks to all at The Residence for another fabulous holiday with you at the end of September. This now my 6th visit to the hotel. My first was in November 2006 and on planning to return the question did arise in my mind would it come up to the first class standard of my first visit. Well I need not have benn concerned for not only did it match my expectations - it exceeded them and has continued to do so each visit. I don't know how you improve on perfection - but somehow you do - well done and keep up the good work.

From the moment you arrive, you are welcomed by some of the friendliest people you will ever meet who are genuinely pleased to welcome you with cold towels and iced tea to refresh you after your long flight.

I was travelling this time with my elderly parents ( this was their 4th visit ) and we felt as though we had arrived at home in our Residence such was the welcome. Throughout their stay the staff were wonderfully caring and thoughtful towards them at all times - thank you.

From the moment you look out from the cathedral like entrance hall with its high vaulted ceilings, out over the pool area and out to the beach you just know you have arrived in paradise.

The rooms are elegant and tastefully appointed and your personal butler ( yes you have a butler ) and the room boy made sure that everything was just spotless and perfect throughout our stay.

The dinning experience is centered around the beautiful main dinning room and is the epitome of fine dinning experience where the chef and his team will create mouthwatering dishes for you. You can also eat at the plantation, sitauted on the beach, which is less formal and hosts wonderful themed buffet evenings along with local entertainment which you must not miss during your stay. If you have any dietary requirements just let them know and everything will be taken care of for you so that you fully enjoy your dinning experience throughout your holiday.

My own preference for during the day is the pool area for sunbathing and swimming. This as with all the other public areas is kept to an immaculate standard with constant attention by the staff. There are three adult pools and one specially formed pool for the children.

There is also a spledid pure white sandy beach which spans the ehtire length of the property which my father ( just turned 80 ) loved to walk every day before swimming in the cystal clear blue waters of the Indian ocean - this was his special treat. Ther is also a host of complimentary water activities down at the beach.

The thing that makes this hotel so successful are the staff who are welcoming, friendly, courteous and they are always attentive but never intrusive. One very interesting point is that many of the staff - if not infact the majority - have been here since the hotel first opened. This is quite an achievement and is due in no small part to the excellent management philosophy. All the main managers, including the general manager are seen regualrily around the hotel and all take time to interact with guests.

Having traveled extensively throughout the world, mainly on holiday but also for business on occassions I can tell you that high standards of servcie can be increasingly hard to find - but not so the Residence where they set the highest of standards that many would do well to emulate.

We met wonderful people at the hotel and this year we have formed amongst ourselves the 'September club' - a very mixed group of young, middle aged and seniors who are planning to return next year for what we know will be a most excelent time. You see we are all a very discerning group of travellers.

My holidays are very important to me and I have enjoyed many in varied countries but standing head and shoulders above the rest is The Residence. My friends often ask why I return so often. The answer is simple - I have found my liitle piece of paradise and I have found the best - so why look anywhere else.

If you have never been to Mauritius you must visit soon and when you do make sure it is to The residence. I can assure you that like me you will not be disappointed - you will love it and it will draw you back time and time again.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank RevJ0hn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
UK
Reviewed October 9, 2010

My wife and I have just returned from our second two week stay at this fabulous hotel. It's only the second hotel in the world to which we have paid a return visit for a holiday. The world is so large it's nice to have a change however good the hotel. In my business I have had to travel extensively worldwide and stay in top class hotels and it takes a lot to really impress me.

To those of you looking at the reviews for this hotel, and like me not only looking at the 5 star ratings, but also those where people were not so impressed, please ignore the comments of Sue 708, Sun Seekers -south ,serial traveller and bc69. Our first visit was in September 2008, around the times of their evaluations and we simply do not recognise the hotel they were describing at all. Look instead at the vast majority of positive ratings - they are much more accurate. This hotel on Belle Mare is not rated as no1 out of 14 on this website, by customers, for no reason!

What drew us back for a second time? It is after all a long trip and not cheap. We aren't honeymooners by the way! It is a combination of attractions. Our first visit was organised by our long standing friend who is a travel agent, who has stayed in all the major Mauritius hotels and strongly recommended The Residence to us as the outstanding hotel he had experienced. He even sent his mum and dad to the Residence!

Firstly the location and physical style of the hotel is very elegant, classy well designed and comfortable - a true 5 plus star standard. The wonderful staff keep it immaculate, clean and very well tended and maintained, both the room , public areas, gardens and pools. The gardens in particular are beautiful and the rooms first class. Tne garden rooms, whilst not having a sea view, overlook beautiful courtyards which lead onto the beach

The food, both in the Dining Room and the Plantation was first class and varied - we never felt the need to go a la carte, and throughly enjoyed both the buffet and waiter service. We particularly liked the option of the waiter service - it made the evening a bit more special then a buffet arrangement, but we enjoyed both. The Plantation is on the beach and very atmospheric and you can eat there for no extra cost on themed evenings (Sega dancing and Mauritian cuisine and sometimes African dancing and food) or go for a set menu, or a la carte with a generous allowance. So you can mix and match as you wish

However, what sets this hotel above others is the style and culture which the management have established throughout the staff. I have never stayed in a hotel ( and remember I travel very extensively) before that has such wonderful personal attention to guest relations. You can have the most wonderful buildings, extensive facilities and so on , and feel just a number - I know, this has happened to us

This hotel is VERY different

The hotel has a number of key senior managers who are front of house and who make the difference - they set and maintain the highest possible standards of service - whether in the restaurants, the pool, reception, concierge,room or garden. All the staff here are simply first class - they make your stay with them a real pleasure. They are attentive but not overbearing, they smile a lot, clearly enjoy their work, and work so hard to make your stay memorable. It is significant that many of the managers and staff have been with the hotel since it opened 12 years ago - very unusual indeed in the hotel business

And if you have a special event to celebrate, the hotel makes a fuss of you with a special menu, and drinks - I had a birthday there and they made it an unforgettable experience.

And a very important point to make here is that you need not tip the staff throughout your stay, but if you want, add a tip to your bill at the end of your stay and it's put in a pool for all staff every 6 months. So staff who are particularly nice to you aren't angling for a personal tip at the time, which means they are doing it because they want to and it's part of the culture

The butler service is excellent - our butler from 2 years ago visited to check that our new butler was looking after us properly! And like other Maurutian hotels he offers as many rose petal baths as you can manage. He also will unpack and pack your cases if you wish, and generally keeps an eye on things to make sure everything is as it should be.

Don't stay in the hotel all the time, Maurutius is a fascinating island if you make the effort, and Mauritia people are so, so friendly. Our advice is to ask the concierge to book a driver for you for the day - depending on the trip you plan it might cost you £40 to £60 for the car, split between 4 is inexpensive, and not bad for just two. The drivers all speak English and will go where ever you want. And you have the added security that they are linked to the hotel.

The beaches are beautiful - to one side you can walk in front of a number of adjoining hotels set back from the beach - and the other way you walk in front of the immaculate public beach past the hotel's watersports centre. They are cleaned very day and are immaculate. And the water is that beautiful blue/green you dream of.

Regarding drinks, it's true they are expensive, but no more so than other Mauritian hotels and cheaper than some. A beer comes at about £3.50, and wine and champagne is expensive.

As return guests you are given a VIP card which entitles you to a free lunch every day, 10% off drinks and 15% off spa treatments. My wife had a spa treatment which was really excellent.

There is a super Kiddies Club where children are very well looked after ( we talked to a number of parents who were ever so pleased with the lovely staff there) There's also a baby sitting service

On both occasions we visited there were weddings on the beach - the hotel goes to a lot of trouble to make the occasion really special, and the setting is absolutely stunning. There are usually a number on honeymooners staying there along with some families with small children ( in September) and couples and groups of friends. Everyone we spoke with said it was the best holiday hotel they had ever stayed in.

If asked to describe what makes this hotel so special, it has quiet elegant class running through everything it does - it's truly an outstanding hotel and we will definitely be going back again.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank keekee27
Bury St. Edmunds
Reviewed September 23, 2010

My wife and I have just spent two weeks of absolute bliss at this hotel, celebrating our 40th wedding anniversary. I have never written a review before, but quite simply we owe so much to the wonderful team at The Residence that we had to go into print. We have stayed at more "prestigious" (therfore expensive) hotels in Mauritius, but without question we recommend this hotel. The staff are truly wonderful, you are treated as royalty. Their is a choice of two magnificent restaurants with world class cuisine, great water sports etc,. The rooms are very tasteful, the ambience in the hotel is restrained and elegant, the gardens manicured to perfection and a beach from Paradise.
If you treasure your holidays, just do yourself a massive favour and book this hotel!!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank DavidCMowle
da torino
Reviewed September 10, 2010

very nice ad elegant premisies; excellent cusine; excellent room service; excellent see water, beach and water sports; it's difficoult to point out a weakness in this hotel/resort and suggest a changement or an improvement; expensive (at least for my pocket), but .....value for money ! one day or another i'll be there again..may be on (mauritius) summer

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Barueri, SP
Reviewed September 8, 2010

Great service and location with an amazing Beach!!!

Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Reviewed September 3, 2010

I went to "The Residence" in April earlier this year to spend my honeymoon! I don´t have words to describe the hotel. All the staff is wonderful, friendly, they were always there for anything you want with a smile in their faces. The room was very clean, the view was amazing, the pool very nice and the cruise for couples in honeymoon to Iles aux Cefs certainly will be unforgettable!! We found the prices fair for the excellent services they render. I strongly recommend!!!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed August 21, 2010

From the moment one entered the hotel reception area, one was WELCOMED with open arms and that is how my time at The Residence Hotel was for me over the duration of my stay in Mauritius ... what I liked best of all was on going communication with the friendly and smiling hotel employees ... their smiles made a difference. The least likely experience for me at the hotel was of course not having a separate part of the hotel amenities for adults only, and of course my time went all too fast before I had to return to my homeland. I plan to bring family and friends back to Mauritius in 2012 to celebrate my birthday.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
LUX* Belle Mare
LUX* Belle Mare
#1 of 12 in Belle Mare
5.0 of 5 bubbles 4,723 reviews

Been to The Residence Mauritius? Share your experiences!