This is truly an excellent hotel. We had stayed once at this hotel when it opened in 1999 and had wonderful memories of it. So this time we did not know if it was going to reach our expectations (maybe a bit distorted because of time). Again: the place was great.
The rooms are spacious and immaculate. We had a bath prepared by our butler every evening.
We found food excellent. They have two restaurants: the Dining room and the Plantation. The first one is international food (French type) and the second has more of a Maurician touch.
As we are not much into sweet food we liked the Dining Room better although the setting of the Plantation (right on the beach) is much nicer.
They have thematic buffets several times a week. We went to one and we liked it but, we prefer to be served by a waiter so we tried to avoid them for the most part.
As we had half board you can either have a menu of the day that changes every night or use a 1,600 ruppees credit and order a la carte and if necessary pay the difference. We did this many times and since I usually don't take dessert unless I ordered lobster we did not have to pay. Not that it would be a big deal to pay for a dessert, but I just am not much into sweets.
For lunch they served light meals in the Dinning Room by the Pool, in the Bar or you could order them at the beach itself. We found the quality of food excellent and the prices are not so high. We ate a couple of days in the Dining Room and the attentions were remarcable: Different type of breads to start (even a pizza bread, with olive paté..) One day we were even given a small sample of a lentil soup.. (and we had only ordered a hamburger...!).
Since some days it was Easter they started a buffet for lunch and it looked excellent but we never took it as after a big breakfast we could not eat so much for lunch and then have dinner.
Breakfast is very varied and you can order it in your room at no extra charge.
There is free internet and dvd rental.
Beach service is very good: you are given cold water, fruit and sometimes they come with a cold towel to make you cool down.
We had two minor complaints:
One was with the concierge: they arrange us a day trip with a taxi driver and when we got back the driver wanted to charge us more than the concierge had said. We did not want to pay and went to the concierge but the person in charge was different and basically did not do anything about it. It was a very unconfortable situation as we did not know what was going on and it looked like we did not want to pay the driver. In the end, just to avoid embarrasment we payed it all. We wrote a letter to the hotel management and they apologized and even give us a little present. We thought it was very nice from them, everybody can make mistakes.
The other complaint was the phone: we could not manage to get a call through to Spain.
But, as I said, really minor issues. The hotel makes you feel in Paradise and the service is excellent. If anyone needs more information I will be deligthted to give it.
Somedays, since it
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Residence Mauritius is situated on the east coast of Mauritius along a mile-long beach of immaculate white sand, fringed by the azure Indian Ocean and tropical gardens - an idyllic retreat for your unreserved relaxation. Inspired by the island's stately turn-of-the-century plantation houses, this luxury Mauritius resort blends modern elegance with classic, colonial style that envelops you in an endearing sense of nostalgia. Live like royalty in rooms that radiate luxurious comfort and charm, with attentive service worthy of the grand colonial houses of yesteryear. Dine on exotic cuisine that captures the incredible potpourri of island flavours. Discover new secrets to soulful relaxation within our serene spa sanctuary, and an endless playground of attractions and activities to be found in the island's unique mix of cultures and stunning landscapes. Whether you seek a romantic escape with your loved one or a spectacular beach getaway with your family, The Residence Mauritius will enthrall you under the warm glow of the Mauritian sun. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travelocity, Agoda, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Residence Mauritius reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Residence Hotel Belle Mare
- Residence Belle Mare
- Residence Hotel Belle Mare
- Residence Mauritius
- The Residence Mauritius Belle Mare