“EXCELLENT”

The Residence Mauritius
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Belle Mare
Reviewed April 7, 2007

This is truly an excellent hotel. We had stayed once at this hotel when it opened in 1999 and had wonderful memories of it. So this time we did not know if it was going to reach our expectations (maybe a bit distorted because of time). Again: the place was great.

The rooms are spacious and immaculate. We had a bath prepared by our butler every evening.

We found food excellent. They have two restaurants: the Dining room and the Plantation. The first one is international food (French type) and the second has more of a Maurician touch.

As we are not much into sweet food we liked the Dining Room better although the setting of the Plantation (right on the beach) is much nicer.

They have thematic buffets several times a week. We went to one and we liked it but, we prefer to be served by a waiter so we tried to avoid them for the most part.

As we had half board you can either have a menu of the day that changes every night or use a 1,600 ruppees credit and order a la carte and if necessary pay the difference. We did this many times and since I usually don't take dessert unless I ordered lobster we did not have to pay. Not that it would be a big deal to pay for a dessert, but I just am not much into sweets.

For lunch they served light meals in the Dinning Room by the Pool, in the Bar or you could order them at the beach itself. We found the quality of food excellent and the prices are not so high. We ate a couple of days in the Dining Room and the attentions were remarcable: Different type of breads to start (even a pizza bread, with olive paté..) One day we were even given a small sample of a lentil soup.. (and we had only ordered a hamburger...!).

Since some days it was Easter they started a buffet for lunch and it looked excellent but we never took it as after a big breakfast we could not eat so much for lunch and then have dinner.

Breakfast is very varied and you can order it in your room at no extra charge.

There is free internet and dvd rental.

Beach service is very good: you are given cold water, fruit and sometimes they come with a cold towel to make you cool down.

We had two minor complaints:

One was with the concierge: they arrange us a day trip with a taxi driver and when we got back the driver wanted to charge us more than the concierge had said. We did not want to pay and went to the concierge but the person in charge was different and basically did not do anything about it. It was a very unconfortable situation as we did not know what was going on and it looked like we did not want to pay the driver. In the end, just to avoid embarrasment we payed it all. We wrote a letter to the hotel management and they apologized and even give us a little present. We thought it was very nice from them, everybody can make mistakes.

The other complaint was the phone: we could not manage to get a call through to Spain.

But, as I said, really minor issues. The hotel makes you feel in Paradise and the service is excellent. If anyone needs more information I will be deligthted to give it.

Somedays, since it

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple
5  Thank chipirrina
There are newer reviews for The Residence Mauritius

Reviewed March 24, 2007

I cannot recommend this hotel enough,it was just wonderful.
The staff are so friendly and helpful(as are the people of Mauritius generally).
The rooms are gorgeous with a smell of ylang ylang everywhere.
The butlers attentitve but not intrusive.
The pools and beach are gorgeous and there are plenty of activities on offer(many free too).
The food was lovely (my husband is a chef so...)and there is a good variety.Even vegetarians are well catered for.The breakfast buffet with all the beautiful fresh fruit is a must.Try the Dining Room for everyday fare and the Plantation for the themed buffet nights.
Wine is quite expensive but hardly Scandavian standard expensive.It's to be expected with imported produce though.The local rum on the other hand is divine and inexpensive.Ask the barman to make up a lovely rum cocktail!The beer is good too.
You can always venture to the nearby village for supplies also.
I too arrived at the tail end of the cyclone but cyclones are to be expected in Mauritius during their summer.They don't last long and then it's back to normal.It most certainly did not ruin our holiday.
The east coast of Mauritius is more breezy than the west but I feel this takes the edge of the humidity nicely.It was still incredibly hot regardless!
We will definately be returning and hopefully very soon.

S.L.Murphy,Malvern,England

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled with family
4  Thank tattoosarah
Reviewed March 11, 2007

We travelled with two small children, aged 1.5 and 4.

We thought Mauritius was divine and The Residence a lovely hotel.

However at our time of travel (July + Mauritian winter) it was very windy, too windy for small children to enjoy much time at the beach. Also the pool area is very exposed and the major drawback - no heated pool, which believe me you want at this time of year. Barely anyone used the pool at all, bar some hardy scottish kids and sadly my children didn't swim once which was something we had really looked forward to.

The kids club thankfully was great even if I wasn't expecting to use it quite so much: plenty of activities, screen time was available but sensibly restricted. Our younger child required an accompanying babysitter because of his age but this was easy and Gini was wonderful and very sweet and caring. In the evening our baby monitor was sufficient but this may depend on your room location and your monitor.

I would guess that my gripes will not be a problem if you go Chritsmas/ Easter time, in fact the pesky wind will become a highly welcome cooling breeze. Key tip: when & where going enquire prevailing wind. So if going to this side of the island in our summer time pay attention to layout/protection from wind/heated pool or simply go to the other side or south end of the island.

Otherwise everything wonderful!

Stayed: July 2006
7  Thank awesomefoursome
Reviewed March 4, 2007

We went here for the second part of our honeymoon in September 2006. The hotel was excellent in every way. Attention to detail and service were second to none. Location - beautiful, Hotel - stunning. On arrival we had an exquiste meal set up for 2 in our room including champagne. Eating here was heaven - like eating at Gordon Ramsey every night. Although we had our very own butler (as standard), we didn't see him once unless we requested his services, a very useful un-intrusive service I thought. A very grown up holiday retreat, not for the kids, this is holidaying for the sophisticated and well heeled. Great honeymoon location, but my advice is book a two-centre honeymoon as there really isn't much to do for a full 2 weeks.

• Stayed: September 2006
5  Thank KatieBear73
Reviewed March 3, 2007

The Residence is the poor relation of the many good hotels on the East coast of Mauritius. We stayed during a cyclone and our flight was delayed for 3 days. The hotel ensured that we paid for every extra miserabe day and meal that we spent there. Yes, the staff are fantastic and the beach is great, but the communal areas are appalling. The restaurant and bar are connected to each other and are both open fronted which means all the rain and winds race in - same for the reception area. The corridors between the rooms are cracked concrete - hardly paradise, more like an old war movie. The food is not 'fussy' as others have suggested it's simply dreadful and the menu is boring to say the least. If you are used to wonderful hotels and resorts like Atlantis, Bellagio, Jumeirah etc, you'll be bitterly disappointed. We visited Belle Mare Plage, San Geran, Le Toussorak and Prince Maurice during our stay. All are in a different league to The Residence and have far superior facilities (including several great restaurants).

Stayed: February 2007
5  Thank beach/ski
Reviewed February 28, 2007

We spent the first 8 days of our honeymoon at The Residence and felt it was a beautiful hotel with the best service that we had ever experienced anywhere in the world - especially for the price! We chose The Residence based on reviews we had read on Tripadvisor and we felt our experience lived up to them. Everything was great: from the friendly staff and beautiful beach, to the clean, spacious and well decorated rooms. I especially loved the scent of ylang ylang that filled the lobby and hotel grounds. We also loved the rose petal baths that our butler ran for us every evening, which was a perfect way to end the day (we really loved having a butler- such a pleasure!). The only area where we felt there was room for improvement was with the dinner menus. We thought the main dining room was better than The Plantation restaurant , with dishes ranging from good to very good- but not great. The (optional) regional cuisine themed buffets left much to be desired (we felt the theme and the menus were not in synch). Breakfast and lunch however were great, with many options to choose from. It's not that we are picky eaters, but rather that we enjoy fine dining frequently (and expect it at a five star hotel), so we may have set the bar a bit higher for the food than other people would have. We took two day trips on the island with a private driver that cost slightly more than the bus tour for two people would have but it was completely worth it. The drivers are available through the tour group that works with the hotel and are very nice, trustworthy and reliable. We highly recommend a day trip to the South and one to the North of the island as there is a lot to see and do in both parts. The culture of the island is great to experience and the people couldn't be friendlier. All in all, we loved every minute of our trip and if we are able to return to Mauritius there's no doubt we will stay at The Residence.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled as a couple
4  Thank LJNYC
Reviewed February 27, 2007

Let me start by saying how surprised I was to read a negative review below. Having been fortunate enough to stay in some of the worlds finest hotels, I would find it difficult to fault The Residence.

The service at The Residence redefines first class. From the perfectly rehearsed arrival routine (Cold towels, greeted by name, arrival drinks, seated in reception etc) to the stress free check-in, the whole experience is an absolute pleasure. It would be easy to think that this is window dressing but the service is maintained at this level throughout your stay.

All of the staff (and I do mean ALL) have a demeanor that harmonizes with the hotels ethos perfectly and seem to achieve the critical balance between attentive and annoying service with aplomb. Indeed both my wife and I were left wondering whether each guest has some sort of "secret profile" available to the staff that lets them know just what you want, and when you want it!

The provision of a butler seems to be in vogue with a number of hotels at present and works well at the Residence. I think that the key to its success is that the butler will do as much (or indeed as little) as you are comfortable with during your stay. Our butlers (Kev and Kumar) were both excellent.

With regard to food, my wife and I found both of the hotel restaurants to be first class. They each have a very different feel with the Plantation being more relaxed and used primarily for the buffets, while the Dining Room serves an a la carte menu. Both restaurants are designed to be indoors/outdoors with openings all of the way around and (when we were there) a lovely cool ocean breeze. All tastes are catered for, but as usual when traveling, the more adventurous you are with your tastes, then the more likely you are to be rewarded with some very good dishes.

Private dining is an experience not to be missed and the private dining manager (Oomesh) is always available to organize something special for you. If you get the chance to have a special meal served in you room (honeymoon, anniversary etc.) then take it. Its a truly memorable experience.

Much has been written on TA regarding the cost of drinks (both in the restaurants and bar). In my opinion they are reasonably priced for the very salubrious surroundings. A bottle of SA Rose was around £20, Mineral Water around £2-3 per liter, a beer was around £2.50 and cocktails ranged from a fiver to ten quid each. You make up you're own mind!

The rooms are very well equipped if not the most spacious you will ever stay in. They are kept immaculately with a three services a day (Full clean in the morning, fresh towels in the afternoon, and an evening turn down). The DVD service is good and worth using as the TV channels tend to drop out if there is an storm activity in the area. The bathrooms are a good size and well equipped.

To summarize, taking everything into account, I can honestly say that this hotel is the finest that I have ever stayed at. A bold statement but you would be hard pressed to find anywhere that comes close for the all round package. When you also consider that this hotel is cheaper than both the One and Only resorts on the island I would have no hesitation in recommending it.

Two last points to add, one positive and one negative.

Firstly, although my wife and I were traveling without our young son, the kids club and facilities looked absolutely first rate. We both commented on a couple of occasions how happy and were looked after the children were. As I didn't travel with my son I will stop short of a full recommendation...but it looked great!

Secondly the Dive centre associated with the hotel. Blues Diving is actually based at the Belle Mare Plage resort but has a satellite office at the Residence. In my opinion, this dive operation should be avoided at all costs. I booked a 5 dive package on arrival and (as an experienced diver) was astounded at the lack of organization and standards present. After just 2 dives I had experienced a novice diver at 20m with an out of air situation have to make an buddy AAS ascent, and a dive master leave a pair novice divers together to assist a third struggling diver because there were insufficient dive masters for the trip. This was later excused on account of some extra pool tryout sessions that tied up one of the dive masters. Completely unacceptable and I have made a complaint directly to PADI.

I'd be happy to answer any questions or give any further feedback, just drop me a line.

Stayed: February 2007
Four Seasons Resort Mauritius at Anahita
LUX* Belle Mare
LUX* Belle Mare
#1 of 13 in Belle Mare

Been to The Residence Mauritius? Share your experiences!