“I would recommend The Residence Mauritius to all my friends and family”

The Residence Mauritius
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Belle Mare
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“I would recommend The Residence Mauritius to all my friends and family”
Reviewed August 6, 2013

My husband and I stayed for a week in the Residence in July 2013. We were there for our honeymoon and the stay in Residence made our honeymoon all the more special. The staff is very honest and courteous. Shahil at the concierge was very helpful and had all the answers about the water sports, places to visit and foreign exchange.
Every member of the staff is courteous and greets you with a smile, a good morning and a Namaste at any hour of the day.
We had opted for an ocean-view room and the view was blissful. As we stood in our balcony, we would get a great view of the Indian ocean. The sight of glimmering water in between the coconut palms wakes you in the morning. If you are a morning person, you might even get to see a beautiful sunrise.
There are a few convenient facilities in the room such as the mini bar, the refrigerator, the kettle and hair dryer. If you need to use any of the electrical appliances that you have carried from home, the staff is more than helpful in providing you with an adapter. You get two bottles of water complementary in your room.
The swimming pool is not very deep and is safe for new swimmers as well. The Residence also has a Jacuzzi. The pool staff is very friendly and helpful as well.
The beach is sparkling clean but is very shallow for swimmers. The Residence also provides complimentary ride in the glass boat where you get to see the under water corals and fishes. The Kayaking/canoeing, paddle boating and snorkeling are also complimentary. The concierge can also arrange for some of the water sports such as para sailing and under water walk at a reasonable cost.
There is a Tennis court and the spa as well.
The restaurants do not offer a great variety for the vegetarians but the food isn't bad. If you are a spice lover, you can mention the same beforehand and the same would be made for you. There is a special buffet with traditional Creole cuisine and you also get to see the beautiful Mauritian traditional dance performances once in a week.
The staff at the restaurant had arranged for a special decorated table for dinner for us, on a special request by my husband. I was pleasantly surprised.
If you want your holiday to be special and want to feel special, then The Residence Mauritius is the place for you to be. The clean, beautiful, well maintained place with the best staff who definitely know how to make you feel special is certainly a place I would recommend for my family and friends.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Vee H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (301)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
delhi
Reviewed August 4, 2013

BEFORE CHOOSING THIS HOTEL I HAVE GONE THROUGH MOST OF THE REVIEWS OF EVERY 5 STAR HOTEL IN MAURITIUS AND AFTER COMPLETING MY RESEARCH BASED ON THE REVIEWS ON TRIP ADVISOR AND OTHER FACTORS I FIND "THE RESIDENCE" BE THE BEST HOTEL FOR HONEYMOON STAY IN MAURITIUS IN FIVE STAR CATEGORY.

We were on the honeymoon trip and we stayed here for 7 days in mid of July.
on arrival staff welcome us with a simile, hot towel and a lemonade.
there were a complimentary sparkling wine bottle with a basket full of fruits in room.

following are the pros n cons which will tell itself why i says it to be the best hotel in mauritius :-

Pros:
1. Management

i stayed in many hotels but believe me haven't seen such the awesome and cooperative management. i have been charged for the item which were chargeable but i was not aware of that and neither the staff told me in regard to that. i discussed the same with the manager and he after asking 1-2 ques waived the complete amount.
i was on the half board and one day i skipped the dinner because i was not well, the management provided the complimentary lunch haven't seen such a cooperative management in other hotels whether its five star or four star.
there were many other small things which made me happy knowing that i have taken the perfect decision in choosing this hotel for the honeymoon stay.

2. Staff

all are very cooperative, understandable and every time they have a smile on their face n why not they are working in paradise. 24hrs they are for your service and love the way they maintained professionalism in their attitude and work.

3. Beauty

there is a beauty all over that place whether you take room, bathroom, surrounding, building, beach,pool everywhere and everything will make u feel happy and energetic.
Bathroom is very large and really awesome.

4. Food

Chinese and continental was good spl PIZZA. Breakfast was good but the dinner was not upto the expectation. for the vegetarians there were not many varieties and if you order the veg thali it is tasteless . there is a need of cook who is specialize in veg food also. overall it was ok.

Location is good, silent beach, 2 restaurants try in both of them, 2 complimentary water bottles daily.

overall i enjoyed a lot, thank u so much "residence" for making my honeymoon so special and enjoyable. i will definitely come back here. keep it up !!

With Warm Regards,

Amit Agarwal

Room Tip: ocean view is the best one...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank crister10world
Residence_Mauritius, Mr Pierrot Barbe Rooms Division Manager at The Residence Mauritius, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
Dear Mr/s Agarwal

We thank you for your recent stay with us and for taking your time to write your feedback on Trip Advisor

We are grateful to you for having chosen our property for your honeymoon and we are delighted to read that you did enjoy your stay.

Such warm and positive impressions will no doubt motivate the team members to always go the extra mile to delight our guests and brighten their stay.

With regards to the Indian Cuisine, we are actually working on the recruit of an Indian chef who we are certain will bring a new “spice” to our already renown cuisine.

We reiterate our thanks for your trust in our property and very much look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back for other blissful moments very soon.

Thank you and kind regards.

The Management Team
london
Reviewed July 13, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the residence for 10 days end of June beginning of July, well what can I say that hasn't already been said, although the hotel was quiet as off season (75 guests) it was amazing to have so many staff looking after your every need, from the constant iced water and fruit at the pool to the great fresh eggs cooked for us at breakfast to the evening meal where you just said "oh that looks nice what are they having ?" And next night they would cook up specials for you - the food was amazing, genuinely my only criticism is that they don't enforce the "dressing for dinner" rule which you expect for a 5 star of this level, Chinese and Indian guests were dressed in track bottoms, shorts and flip flops and could not drag themselves away from iPods iPads and phones long enough actually talk to one another at dinner but I guess that's just the way of the world !! Entertainment was lovely in the bar with live singers and musicians most nights but as the hotel was so quiet sometimes we were the only ones sitting listening to them in the bar !! Really high quality singers who we nicknamed Barry and Celene, if you are thinking about another hotel on the east coast - don't, also the fact that tipping is at the end of the holiday is so refreshing, you just add it to your bill at the end - which means you choose individual people and specifically give an amount to them which is such a good idea, drinks are London prices except wine, stick to South African wine or you will be paying £100 for a bottle ! We would definitely return, the staff are so so so brilliant and attentive, we have stayed in 5 stars all over the world and this is the best service we have had by miles !

• Stayed July 2013
4 Thank bluebell_bear
Residence_Mauritius, Public Relations Manager at The Residence Mauritius, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Dear Madam

Your review on Trip Advisor is very encouraging and inspiring.

You comments about our service and staffs are very warming. This will surely boost up our level of service given to our guest at the hotel.

We appreciate your review about the dress code in our restaurant.

This has helped us reviewing our dress code appeal to our mutual guests.
Detailed information about the dress code is given upon check in to our guests.

We hope the next time you will be here you won’t have such disturbances…

We look forward to welcome you very soon on our shores.

Kind Regards
The Management
Winchester
Reviewed July 12, 2013

Firstly, this is a beautiful hotel. Great location, beautiful rooms, attentive staff (personal butler), excellent food and beverage and everything you could desire from a 5 Star hotel except atmosphere. We spent 3 days at The Residence and had something to compare having stayed at a LUX resort in Mauritius the previous 4 days, Fundamentally the hotel seemed empty most of the time which was nice at times as there was no German towel strategies, but during the evenings it felt like you had been marooned on mars . The mix of guests seemed to support the fact that China and India have now started direct flights to Mauritius with approx 60% of the dining room being occupied by groups from these countries. My wife and I like to be smart casual for dinner, but derigour appeared to be a little to relaxed with shorts, tee-shirts and flip flops in abundance which for a 5 star high-end hotel seemed uncharacteristic.

The Residence is expensive, so get ready for the big bills on food and drink. The quality is high though and the hotel has its uniqueness which is appealing in itself.

If you could blend a LUX with a La Residence you would have the perfect hotel. Enough said.

Room Tip: Ocean View - simply divine
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sirbo
Pretoria, South Africa
Reviewed July 10, 2013

I stayed at the residence during the month of May. Located on the north east coast, it is ideal for sunrises and not sunsets!Stayed on the second floor which overlooked the gardens with a partial view of the ocean. My room was very spacious,flat screen tv, work area, spacious bathroom with a bathtub,shower and small walk in closet for luggage and clothing. Being on the second floor, I had a little balcony - its not really private, because there are rooms directly opposite - allowing them to have full view of what you do on your balcony as well as in your room if you are not careful to close your blinds. The entire hotel has a colonial theme to it and is very well maintained. I found my room to be lacking something, maybe it was the decor but it created a very cold ambiance. I was freezing at night, having just a sheet to sleep beneath, no extra blanket available.

The nice thing about this property, was its facilities, activities and the "private butler". You will be assigned a butler who will assist you with all your requests and that specific butler will attend to you throughout your stay. I was offered a rose petal bath, which they would come and set up at your preferred time and I definitely took up the offer so that I may report back to my reviewers :) It was excellent!

They have a great kids club, where they get to participate in making pizzas in clay ovens among many other activities.

My overall take on the resort is that facilities are great, having heated pools during winter, boathouse,tai chi,meditation etc. They have a long stretch of beach with choral, but not as much as the west coast. There is not much fault I could find with the property except the public balconies of the rooms, the emptiness of the rooms and the fact that staff was a bit laid back at breakfast. After all this, its a good property.

Room Tip: If you want a private backyard, you would have to opt for your ocean front rooms or suites
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Travell-Consultant
Dear Sir/Madam

We thank you for your time taken to write about your experience at The Residence Mauritius.

We extend our sincere apologies for not being able to meet your expectations about the room and the balcony.

It’s very soothing to read that the hotel ambiance and the special service “Rose petal bath” were pleasing to you.
A special thanks for mentioning about our kids club.

Your review will certainly help us in providing better service and facilities to our guests.

The whole team looks forward to welcome you back very soon for another warm sojourn.

Kind Regards
The Management
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Once again we have been privileged to return to our favourite place and to our favourite hotel - Our Residence. We (my parents and myself) have been coming here for a number of years. They are on visit number 6 and I am on visit number 8.
From the moment we arrive and meet all the folks at the hotel we know so well - we know we have arrived. We are back home among friends. the reception area which leads out onto the pool area and overlooks the beach is a picture to die for - wonderful - and what's more just like in the brochure. After the cool towels and welcome drink we were shown to our rooms - same as always - which is a nice touch. Infact they are wonderful at remembering all your likes and they always come up trumps. This is the second year in a row that mum has celebrated her birthday - last year 85 and this year 86 - and they couldn't have done more to make her feel so special - thanks and thank you again.
One of the first people we meet is Ritesh who is reception manager and his team. We have known him since we first came and he has become a very dear friend. All his team are excellent and can't do enough for us. Our rooms are spacious and well appointed and kept spotless by Devika who cleans for us each day. Our butlers Jeet and Roshan make sure that we have all we need for a fantastic stay.
The pool area is my first choice and is spotless and clean. As for my dad he loves the beach and the sea. He walks the beach everyday and is always telling those he meets just how wonderful the Residence is.
Food is always an important part of the holiday and we love to eat at lunch times at the plantaion house. Sitting outdoors having lunch, gazing out at the waters of the Indian ocean - life doesn't get any better than this - but you really have to come out and actually see it and experience it for yourself.
For breakfast and dinner we choose the main dinning room where you will be treated to a veritable feast of delights by our friend Chef kelley and his team. They will cater for all your needs and nothing is too much trouble. If you have a special occassion then they will look after you wonderfully well. Last year I came across the Yacht club for the first time ( I stupidly had avoided it in the past and now realise what a mistake that was). This year I want to say a particular thanks to Freddy and James and all the team for looking after us all so well - even the oldies!!! Also to Kiran who was so good at taking someone like me who was a little apprehensive of the water and by the end of the stay they couldn't keep me away. Well done to all and thanks again - can't wait to get back to my "hoobycat"
Having stayed so often one can begin to think how can they keep things so good. But they do, so well done and keep up the good work.
As a family we love The Residence and just want to thank Mr Chretien the general manager and all his team for welcoming us back and taking such good care of us all.
Holidays are very important and the reason I keep coming back is you are simply the best. You never let me down and so i have complete confidence in you.
Sometimes you might read a review and think - is it really that good? The answer is yes, but don't just take my word for it come and see for yourself and you will find out very quickly why we have fallen in love with The Residence and hope to return as often as possible. Plans for me to return in September and the oldies with me next year if all goes well.
Thanks again to all - your simply the best - again.

Room Tip: All rooms are lovely but it is worth the small supplement to book a sea view room better the ocean f...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank RevJ0hn
jhb
Reviewed July 4, 2013

We stayed at The Residence in May 2013 for a week.It was a 50th birthday present from my husband.From the time we arrived, we were treated like royalty.We wanted to change the room from the 2nd floor to the ground floor and they did it immediately with no problem at all.Our
room was spacious,very comforatble, and I loved the huge bathroom and walk-in closet.Most of all....our personal butler...who would unpack our luggage and even run a bath if we requested it.
The hotel is situated on a beautiful stretch of the beach,beautiful soft white sand and enough chairs,lie lows etc.The swimming pools are stunning and we particularly enjoyed the different temperature pools.All the staff were fantastic, a special mention, Ally and his team at the restaurant.Impeccable service and a very special birthday dinner surprise made it very very memorable.We also enjoyed the very relaxing atmosphere in the lounge each evening.All in all ,a most wonderful,luxurious, relaxing, pampered ,indulgent ,stay at The Residence.We cannot wait to return.

Room Tip: We chose a room on the ground floor,garden facing,but still had a slanted view of the ocean.Had quic...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
#6 of 18 in Flic En Flac
LUX* Belle Mare
LUX* Belle Mare
#1 of 13 in Belle Mare

Been to The Residence Mauritius? Share your experiences!