My husband & I have just returned from The Residence and we were impressed by nearly all aspects the hotel has to offer
Rooms & Public Areas
These areas were kept spotlessly clean, however due to all surfaces being hard (tiles) then sounds do travel between rooms. We were there during the rainy season and did find some floor surfaces slippery at times, but there were staff mopping up the rain and there were signs warning of slippery surfaces. The rooms were large and well equipped on the whole, furnishing were very tasteful. There are many public areas for sitting and relaxing no matter what the weather.
Beach & Pools
The hotel is stretched along a sandy beach which is ideal for children, with gentle slopes and plenty of good sandcastle making sand. The sea is gently shelved so also safe for children. There were plenty of sun beds along the 3 stretches of beach that make up the front of the hotel, all with an umbrella for shade. The beach staff bring towels, water and will put up the umbrella for you, they also will periodically come along the beach to ask if you wish to order refreshments or food form the bar. In fact they were very friendly smiley people! There are beach traders that do come along the beach and tout their wears but we found that a pleasant " No thank you" was all that was needed, there is beach security in evidence should you feel you need it. We took a walk along the beach in both directions from the hotel which allows you to see other hotels who front onto the beach and we have to say based on beach frontage 'The Residence' was by far the best. The pools are varied, there were 4 round pools all of which were different depths so catered for both adults and children although none were that deep, and there is a pool jacuzzi. Whilst we were there if the sea was a bit cold, or there was a rain shower, we used the pool, all of which felt as if they were heated to blood temp.
There were gardens all along the front of the hotel which were beautifully planted and immaculately kept. They gave privacy to the rooms and were a lovely distraction if you needed one from the beach. There were some lovely vistas, a lot of thought and planning had gone into their design
All the staff were very friendly and helpful, they went out of their way to make sure your holiday was enjoyable. We had Sailan as our evening butler for the week and we could not have done without him, no questions were left unanswered and all help was given with a smile. We did have a day butler to call on too but most of requests were whilst Sailan was on duty.
You have to go !! It was brilliant, the treatments were fantastic but also the staff were so helpful if like us, you were trying some of the treatment for the first time. They happily explained the difference between the treatments without making you feel you had to book. The therapists we had were excellent and we thoroughly enjoyed all our visits. A word of warning though do try and book in advance if you can as they get booked up very quickly if the weather is bad!
Hummm this was very variable even in areas where there was supposed to be access, it is free in the bar area but you do have to pay for access in your room. Once the access was established in our room the internet connection was OK but you could not say the same for the public areas even the designated computer area.
This is the one of the areas that I feel the hotel needs to improve. Breakfast was fine, the usual buffet of fruit , breads, cold meats, juices, yogurt, omelettes crepes, pancakes etc The bar food and beach food was fine. It was the evening dining that we felt was not all it should have been. You have a choice of a themed buffet or Menu of the day/ A La Carte each evening. Sometimes the quality was excellent whilst other times it was just OK, it was so variable. The quality of both food and service should really be excellent at all times for such a prestigious hotel. When it was good is was very good but when it was bad is was disappointing to say the least, especially since you were paying the same no matter what the quality.
This was an odd arrangement with the shops dotted around the hotel which you really had to go and look for as they were tucked away. There was a gift shop, jewellery shop, Indian textiles, designer wear and the everyday shop. I did feel the window displays needed updating to look more tasteful and inviting and the shop windows needed cleaning. Some of the goods within the shops were rather outdated and the displays were uninspiring. It was a shame really because there was so much potential within each of these areas to show what Mauritius has to offer in terms of local expertise.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Residence Mauritius is situated on the east coast of Mauritius along a mile-long beach of immaculate white sand, fringed by the azure Indian Ocean and tropical gardens - an idyllic retreat for your unreserved relaxation. Inspired by the island's stately turn-of-the-century plantation houses, this luxury Mauritius resort blends modern elegance with classic, colonial style that envelops you in an endearing sense of nostalgia. Live like royalty in rooms that radiate luxurious comfort and charm, with attentive service worthy of the grand colonial houses of yesteryear. Dine on exotic cuisine that captures the incredible potpourri of island flavours. Discover new secrets to soulful relaxation within our serene spa sanctuary, and an endless playground of attractions and activities to be found in the island's unique mix of cultures and stunning landscapes. Whether you seek a romantic escape with your loved one or a spectacular beach getaway with your family, The Residence Mauritius will enthrall you under the warm glow of the Mauritian sun. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Expedia, Orbitz, Priceline, Agoda, Booking.com, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Cancelon, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Residence Mauritius reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Residence Hotel Belle Mare
- Residence Belle Mare
- Residence Hotel Belle Mare
- Residence Mauritius
- The Residence Mauritius Belle Mare