“Nice and Relaxing Experience”

Long Beach Golf & Spa Resort
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Belle Mare
Hyderabad, India
“Nice and Relaxing Experience”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Firstly we booked this place as a part of package and hence we had little clue about it except reviews. And add to that I've never been to a 5 - star hotel (beachside) previously. And we booked honeymoon package which included Wine, 3 lunch coupons, Candle - light dinner and discount at other addl. services

The room was awesome with designs bit modern and very private. And I guess most of their rooms are sea view ones.
The service was very good but there was some scope for improvement. The check-in and check out process did take quite a while for us. The staff were friendly and helpful.

Regarding food breakfast was the best with plenty of options. Our package included dinner too. The dinner buffet was good but not great. Given the fact that the hotel had predominantly Europeans, we (Indians, vegetarians) had little options understandably. There are other restaurants to serving a-la carte which were on the expensive side. But the food was very good there. We had staff helping us get customized food :)

Location is a problem with any Hotel in Mauritius I would say. From Belle Mare, we had to travel anywhere between 1 - 2 hours one way to south island as well as north island. This place is very close to adventure activities and island.

Apart from that Hotel amenities were excellent, be it the swimming pools or sports complex. Haven't tried the spa. They are offer plenty of other activities in both water and land.

I would give a big thumbs up to stay at Long beach especially if you want to relax / interested in Adventure trip and can shell out few more.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank aravinth123_4
Stephane J, Resident Manager at Long Beach Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Thank you for your positive and constructive comments and it will really assist us in improving our services. Being vegetarians, we would highly suggest to contact our Executive Chef whereby he will assist you only with pleasure. We are honored to read that you had an enjoyable holiday at Long Beach. We hope to welcoming you back in the near future. With reiterated thanks

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (429)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 5, 2013

We went to Long Beach in November 2012. I have to say it was an amazing experience! The room was very big with a separate toilet space with shower and bath and an outside space. Nobody could look into the room which was great, we had a lot of privacy and no noise coming from outside. The food was amazing, huge variety every day, I enjoyed every single meal in the main restaurant as well as at the Beach restaurant. We were a bit concerned about the all inclusive package but at the end it was a wise choice, almost all the drinks and food were included. The main pool is very nice and warm, the infinity pool a bit cold but still great. The staff was very friendly and helpful and we had room service few times a day. The beach was nice too. We truly enjoyed our experience at Long Beach!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Stephane J, resident manager at Long Beach Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this review, July 7, 2013
We would like to thank you for the time taken to post your feedback now despite being with us last November. It is indeed very gratifying to read these positive comments and we are delighted to note that you truly enjoyed your stay at Long Beach.

Thank you once again and hope to welcoming you in the not-too-distant future.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 3, 2013

We spent a weekend at Long Beach in a group of nine adults and one child at the end of June. Our experience seems to be fairly similar to those posted by others. I believe that we were treated worse given that we are local residents or rather I would hope that foreigners witness a better service given the extortionate amounts that they pay.
From the very outset, everyone in our party of ten noticed that the employees at the resort demonstrated strong prejudice against Mauritians. Not only were we given rooms that were the furthest away from the reception and other hotel amenities but it soon became obvious that the said block was only occupied by Mauritians. Although the hotel was practically unoccupied (hence the promotion to local residents), during our two-night stay, we noticed that several Mauritian couples and families had received a similar treatment. I recognise that the poor service in terms of room allocation may also be the result of hotel policies to segregate tourists from Mauritians and may not be the responsibility of reception staff. However, it is very disappointing wherever the responsibility lies, especially when small children have to cover the distance several times.When we complained about the distance that we had to walk from the room to the reception, we were informed that we should consider ourselves lucky that it was only a 15 minute walk as the hotel was much more spread out previously. Helpful observation indeed!

Upon our arrival at the hotel, we spent an hour at reception to get the rooms sorted out. When my brother and I asked to change our room, no one bothered to inform us that there was no door to the toilet and bathroom although it was clear that we were not a couple. We found the hotel staff to be reactive rather than proactive in their approach, (highlighting perhaps a lack of training) which was not representative a 5 star experience. We were welcomed with drinks which would have been nice had we all received the drinks. However, three of us had to enquire and ask for our drinks which took 15 minutes to arrive during our long wait in the lobby.

When we were dropped off to our rooms in the cart, we were informed that we could ring reception to ask for a lift (due to the distance ) but there was no guarantee because the hotel was quite packed (however this was beyond doubtful). When we approached an employee again at the reception to complain that we were already suffering from aches in our feet after walking to the reception three times, he demonstrated a typical anti-Mauritian mentality that we had to be segregated so that we didn't disturb the other hotel guests. He explained that we had been allocated rooms in the very last block so that we could be close to each other. Considering the fact that the hotel was practically empty, I can only conclude that it was a load of 'crap'. He even mentioned that the cart was only to be used at arrival and departure instead of adopting a customer-friendly attitude of offering us a ride back. I guess that going the extra mile is a concept that is entirely unknown to the employees at this resort!

The restaurant staff carried their duty with a nonchalance that was quite surprising. Indeed, on Sunday morning we had to wait approximately 15 minutes for our tea and coffee. We asked for a table to be set. That also took around the same amount of time. Still, some people had not been given a cup or a spoon. We were not offered refills and had to ask constantly, the average waiting time being 5 to 10 minutes. My nephew waited some 20 minutes for warm milk for his Weetabix. A sense of urgency and accountability to get things done was missing.

In comparison to the other departments of the hotel, the gym staff were the only ones that demonstrated a friendly attitude. They were helpful and enthusiastic and rescued our holiday which would have been disastrous without the activities that they organised. So credit where it is due.

Although some members of staff did stand out, unfortunately the level of service was not sustained throughout the hotel. Perhaps the most obvious was at reception which is most deplorable as it is the first point of contact. A smile and a greeting goes a long way.

We failed to notice the 'refined furnishings' in the room at times. This might be due to the fact that we were given rooms that are not allocated to tourists, in other words, second rate rooms. The cushions on the sofa had dark stains which showed a standard well beneath a 5-star luxury hotel. One of the rooms experienced a leak on Saturday night. The hotel staff solved the problem by placing a towel underneath. No apology was given!

We noticed that birds were constantly eating from the bowls in the restaurant during the breakfast buffet. The station was never manned and the bowls were not covered at any point. Birds were also flying all over the set tables, perching on cups and walking on plates while people were going to the buffet for refills. Staff did not appear concerned at any point and only swapped the food when it was pointed out to them.

When my nephew threw up in front of our room, housekeeping responded quickly and washed the floor with a hose and left the floor soaking wet instead of draining the water.

The steam room next to the gym represents a safety hazard due to defective equipment and amenities. The seat on top of the steam outlet is burning hot and can cause serious burns. The variety of activities was interesting but the absence of a sauna and Jacuzzi was disappointing. Although there was one steam room available for free, there was no changing room or locker to keep our belongings. Indeed, everything had to be placed on a log in front of the entrance to the steam room or on the floor. When leaving the steam room, I was challenged as I wanted to keep the towel around me in order to have a shower and get changed in the room. I was told that it was against hotel policy to allow guests to take the gym towel to the rooms. It was yet another example of not putting the customer first. After I complained about the lack of changing rooms and lockers, I was told that no one had ever complained. I had to remind the employee that I had just complained and explained that it was a verbal complaint but a complaint still. It appeared to me that he was unable to recognise a complaint when it was quite obvious. I also informed him that other members of our group had also previously complained to him. The attitude of no one has complained so it must be fine or ignoring complaints is not right. Complaints should be recorded and addressed through the right channels so that issues can be rectified. It is useless complaining if issues are brushed under the carpet as seems to be the case.

The staff at the hotel did not seem to know about its facilities. We were given incorrect information either deliberately or through ignorance, for example, when we asked about the show on Saturday night, we were told that a different group would be performing. However, not only was it the same group as the previous night but they were also singing the same songs. What is surprising is that the employee had a sheet with the details in front of him!

Overall, I would say that the food was good. I was surprised that they served food from the previous evening or had the same desserts on both nights. The lack of variety was disappointing.

I am very disappointed with the service at Long Beach whish is far from 5 star and have witnessed better service and enjoyed a better experience at other hotels in Mauritius. I would recommend any prospective client to book elsewhere, particularly if you are Mauritian.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank ReensB
Bern, Switzerland
Reviewed July 1, 2013

We stayed one week at long beach hotel. i LOVED the modern, contemporary and minimalist design. it was a nice change compared to the colonial style of most 4-5* hotels in mauritius. we had booked two rooms, they were spacious, the bathroom was ok. ours had a big stain on the ceiling - but this did not bother me too much since it's not my house and i left after a week anyway.

if you get there after a long flight they welcome you according to the hotel design, minimalist and cool - it was probably one of the worst arrivals i have ever experienced. we had to wait for ever at the lobby before they showed us our rooms. I did not really like the location of our rooms (across the path from tennis and kid's club) but they would not let us switch rooms even if we payed an additional fee (they said they needed to check with our german agency, but it was saturday and they were closed). well, it was not so bad after all because - as said before - the rooms are really nice.

there are too many people in the hotel and the restaurants are too full. the food at the buffet is good but it's always the same. 1 week was ok but i would not have wanted to eat the same thing for 2 weeks.

the service at the pool area was really slow.

you can play le touessrok golf course for free if you stay at long beach hotel. the course is so beautiful and fantastic and challenging and fun - it makes up for all the small negative details at the hotel!

even though i was not really 100% happy at long beach hotel - i'd go back - because it's really nice to look at, the food is ok (if they'd change a bit it would be even better), price/value of the hotel is really good, the kids love it because there are a lot of kids and there is this amazing golf course :-)).

by the way; if you travel with teenagers it's fantastic since they have a teens club - our 15-year old daughter went there and she was not bored, she was active with the other teenagers and she did not play/chat with her iPhone all the time!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank lilibern
We take note with great concern of your constructive comments which we reassure will be taken as learning points and corrective actions will be undertaken to avoid such recurrence. Your point relative to the food at the buffet has been well noted and has been passed on to our Chef. As you might have noticed that Long Beach offers a variety of eating experiences, they range from Asian to relaxed beach chic, from sophisticated show cuisine to Italian deli.

Nevertheless, we thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback and for your loyalty towards Long Beach. The Management will be most happy to welcoming you back to our shores in the near future. Kindly let us know when you intend to renew your stay with your family whereby we will assist you with pleasure and experience another facet of the hotel.
Cleckheaton, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 1, 2013

After reading the vitreous comments from people about this beautiful hotel, I had to add my review to redress the balance, We arrived also after a long flight and were met by a cool drink and hot towel, while we filled in our forms the General Manager Vladamir came to greet us and handed me his card and said if I had any problems to ring him on his number, We were escorted to our beach room and the young lady pulled back the curtains to reveal a fabulous veiw of the Indian Ocean, Our case's arrived soon afterwards and as is usual in this class of hotel we were pleased to tip for the service, We wandered along the beach barefoot and came to the Tides restaurant right on the beach, being new and a bit Jet-lagged we were really glad of all the help from the friendly girls providing the table service.
As I had booked a special meal to celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary the next evening Daurio one of the catering Managers contacted me and made all the arrangements without spoiling the suprise for my wife, The meal was a dream a full moon shining on the ocean and attentive but discrete service on a table set out on the lawn right by the beach, Our waiter for the evening Issur from in room dining was perfect and after he had served the last course of a five course meal wished us a happy anniversary and left, took me two days before I finally found him to give him his tip! I was not going to write a review as HimnHerScotland summed it up perfectly.
However the three unfair reviews prompted me to reply, Please do not be put of by people who find pleasure in bad mouthing anything and everything even having a go at anyone who has the temerity to give this hotel full marks, well far from being fresh from the tent we have made a point of picking only the finest hotels for our wedding anniversay, last year we stayed at the Raffles hotel in Singapore and the year before at the Hilton in Venice so no tents there, Finally I must mention the people who make this hotel special, the staff, Hi to Yousouf,Jessen,Daruio and Jenny but honestly I could have named just about everyone who we came into contact with all of which were friendly chatty and just plain nice people, If you are lucky enough to go to this Beautiful Island you will love this hotel, If you are worried about security there is a safe in all the rooms and a straw rectangle with a red square on one side and green on the other just turn it around for privacy.

Room Tip: We were in room 127 the sun rises just opposite your window a firery red
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DENNIS L
Stephane J, resident manager at Long Beach Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
The Management and the Long Beach team wish to express their sincere thanks for your compliments. We feel honored to read such praising words about our members, services and facilities. Despite reading those vitreous comments from people, thank you for your trust which has been much appreciated. We are delighted that your wedding anniversary has been a very special one and your special mention to those members will be passed on to them. Thank you once again for having chosen Long Beach for this special occasion and we sincerely hope that you will return to our shores for another holiday experience.

With renewed thanks
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 27, 2013

Our stay at the Long Beach was the final part of our honeymoon and our late arrival at 23:40 was the culmination of 14 hours of travel from the east cape of South Africa where we had enjoyed two weeks of safari and city breaks.

Fortunately the transfer driver had issued us with a bottle of water as we left the airport and taken us to Long Beach, this was a late evening drive along the country roads of Mauritius which left us tired and exhausted. On arrival at Long Beach the porters immediately took our bags from the car and showed us to the reception area where we waited the receptionist. She arrived with a form and requested our passports, normal procedure and we duly completed our details and awaited her return; for ten minutes. It's not that I expect a drink on arrival at every hotel I visit (it had been the case for the previous 6 hotels that holiday) but if I'm shown to the room without delay then I can resort to the mini bar and quench my thirst. Unfortunately efficiency was not one of Long Beaches strong points (something that was to be confirmed throughout our stay) and the process of explaining the all inclusive set up and the complex additional charges associated with the al la carte menu , the restaurant times and menus, the layout of the hotel, the towel loan situation, room service and associated room nanny, the Spa location and charges, the rep meeting times, the honeymoon package and how to claim it etc.. So after a further 15 minutes of this we were taken to our room. The Long Beach complex is not small and a 5 minute walk was required to get to our room, not an issue but I am listing the times as on our arrival at the room (30 mins after arrival) our bags had not beaten us to it. Our bed was strewn with documents and letters from various organisations and the hotel and the receptionist explained the room set up which took a few minutes. She left and as we got a moments peace the door bell rang and the bags arrived, now I have no issue tipping but clearly the delay had been for the sole purpose of getting a tip as otherwise the bags would have arrived in the room unnoticed (sort of how it should be).

The door closed behind them I had no sooner sat on the bed than the phone rang and it was the 'room nanny' introducing himself. We had not eaten much throughout the day so I said that once settled we might phone about some room service after looking at the menu. As far as I was concerned the room was now ours and we could relax. Another knock at the door, now past midnight and a porter had arrived with our complimentary champagne. Another thing that could have been placed in the room before our arrival and I was not pleased to see it anyway as all I wanted to do is have a bottle of water and go to sleep. Our displeasure in the champagnes arrival was not picked up by the porter who proceeded to start up a conversation about where we were from and if we enjoyed living in the UK? I struggled with this and when he realised I just wanted him to leave he just stood there. I had no time now for tipping someone that in my view had not provided a useful service and subtle hints did not prevail in getting him to leave (kicking shoes off and lying on the bed, and asking him to go!) I had to show him the door and close it behind him. Finally the room was ours, but no, the phone rang and the room nanny was on the line asking for our order! unfortunately for him this was the final straw and explained that in no uncertain terms we were not to be disturbed.

After a good nights sleep and a lazy morning we put our bad introduction down to our long day of travelling and tired arrival, giving the staff the benefit of the doubt. So breakfast was another disappointment when we had to find our own table that was half laid, this did not bother us as clearly in a five star hotel the staff would have this sorted by the time we returned from the buffet. In my opinion it would not be possible for the staff on the buffet (eggs/fruit and juice stand/pancake etc.) to show any less interest in serving the guest, we hadn't got to breakfast late however the attitude of the staff was as though we were putting them to some kind of inconvenience. This said the food was good, not five star good, but good none the less. On return to our table there was no addition to the sole set of knife and fork so we flagged down a waiter who did his best to ignore us and explained the situation and he cobbled together a full set by raiding other tables that had either been used or, as in the case of our table, just partly laid. He asked if we wanted tea or coffee and duly poured two cups of tea. This was the last time we were asked if we wanted a hot drink. As it's a buffet we inevitably lost some cutlery as they cleared plates away (this did not happen that often!) but they never replaced the odd spoon or knife. Eventually I got up and took a spoon from the cutlery station as well as commandeering the tea flask so as not to dehydrate. Staff at breakfast proved to be as inefficient, lazy and insolent as I have experienced in all my travels and this was often witnessed by a couple of managers sat at the bar drinking coffee (the same situation at the evening buffet but then the managers are drinking coke!) I did notice that if you ordered a specific type of coffee that would require a signature on the receipt the service marginally improved as there was the off chance of a tip.

The beach is lovely and we never had an issue of getting a sun lounger or a towel (through the signing out process at the pool area) however there were a lot of hawkers that seemed to frequent only the Long Beach area. There is hotel security on the beach but they were sat with the hawkers under a tree for most of the midday sun, so I assume they got paid off to secure the beach from other hawkers! either way once you said no they didn't try too hard again although families got preyed on more than couples, they would go straight for the children in an attempt to get some leverage over the parents when the little kid fell in love with the bracelet!
The complex itself is not logically laid out, although well landscaped, at night it becomes a badly lit maze and the staff drive around on golf carts at a dangerous pace. The resort itself began to get a little claustrophobic for us and after three days we decided to hire a car and explore the island as there is nothing around the hotel itself. The taxies are hired through the hotel and readily available however the freedom of driving ourselves around what is a small island allowed us to see things that otherwise would be missed. It also made us realise that the hotel charges an extortionate amount above the average price for food and drink on the island and delivers a lot less than we experienced at roadside cafes. Disappointing for a 5 star hotel. Leaving the hotel also allowed the staff access to our room without bothering us, something that seemed to happen about five times each day with the first at about ten o'clock (mini bar inspection) and the last at about eight o'clock (bottle of water and turn down) we couldn't find a 'do not disturb' sign so had to answer when they knocked, sometimes inconvenient on your honeymoon, they don't seem to understand privacy and march into the room no matter what state of dress you're in.
We split evening meals between the buffet and the al a carte restaurants so as vary the diet and found the Japanese sushi restaurant lovely and the service impeccable (I was delighted to find this at Long Beach but on reflection it is what should be seen in every venue in a 5 star resort) and the Chinese restaurant (chopsticks) was good, although the senior waiter pushed the younger waitresses around and tried to muscle in at the end to get the tip which spoilt the calm ambience a little. You need to book these restaurants in advance as they seem to only have the capability to do one cover per seat per night and not stagger the times to allow more guests in. Our meal at Tides was acceptable, the staff had lost our order, which we had to place on the first day, but this was soon sorted out and a lovely meal issued. I think this restaurant tries to be a full a la carte silver service type of experience, unsurprisingly it fails, the wine we ordered went to another table on it's way to us, and the waitress placed our red wine in a cooler (not so stupid I thought as it was very hot) but clearly this was a mistake as another waitress came along and on noticing it was red wine took it out and placed it on the table. Now I have no issue pouring my own drinks, I'm no snob (however this review might portray me!) but our glasses got empty and when the main course was brought out and our glasses not topped up we decided to do it ourselves. This was no issue for us and my wife began to pour herself a glass, well I had not seen a member of staff move so quick all week! she came over to our table saying, 'no, no, no' and proceeded to grab the bottle out of her hands in a very rude way. Now as she had already poured herself a glass she refused to let go of the bottle and the waitress had to back down. Just to confirm we are not mad wine drinking alcoholics, we had waited ten minutes, ample opportunity to do it for us!. This personified the type of service at this hotel, reactionary and not attentive or even friendly, in fact I would categorise it as clingy, obnoxious, ineffective and very tip motivated. I have never been asked so many times if I liked living in the UK or what football team I supported (i don't) in a desperate attempt to extend the conversation, appear friendly and get a tip.
The final morning we had a four am pick up, my annoyance at the staff resulted in me taking our own bags to reception despite the heat and weight just so not to have to put up with a smarmy conversation about our stay and the inevitable invasion of personal space and pointless chit chat to get a tip. Our final experience was to find that the bill had been finalised incorrectly overcharging us. The receptionist just looked blankly at the computer screen for 5 minutes as though that would make it better and read out the bill, after ten minutes of this he eventually corrected the error although I still think he had no idea why he did it. He also expected a tip.
Overall I would not stay here again or recommend the resort. I guarantee that you would have a better experience anywhere else on the island and the people who have rated this 5 stars did so either blindly on their first stay outside of a tent or at a time when the service was better, maybe in the exciting times of the first few months of opening when the management seemed to care. Why you ask did we not complain? well it seems that the problem with Long Beach is an endemic management issue and a lack of experience in the staff, this combined with zero motivation other than for a tip make it something that would not be sorted out over night at the complaint of a guest. We did complete the survey at the end of our stay and handed it in but can assume it got intercepted by staff or they just don't care. Just to confirm I am more than happy to tip good service when received often much to the annoyance of my wife, as I don't think I left a restaurant on the island or a guide without a note of some kind, however I have issue with it being assumed for bad service.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Barton F
Stephane J, Resident Manager at Long Beach Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
The Management is very surprised and distressed to read your feedback relative to your recent stay which has turned out to a miserable moment. We have undergone through each and every point mentioned therein, then attempt to explain or justify why it was not to your satisfaction. In truth, none of this is going to make any difference due to the fact that Long Beach did not met your expectation. We can only regret for the various shortcomings and inconveniences you were subjected.

Nevertheless, we wish to reassure you that we have convened all head of departments for a meeting to discuss on each comment and have unanimously agreed that there has been definitely a failure on the service delivery since your arrival. However, necessary corrective actions have already been undertaken and wish to confirm that special trainings are being conducted to improve the services and we sincerely hope that other guests do not experience same in the future.

Again, the Management wish to renew their most sincere apologies and thank you for your understanding.
Karachi, Pakistan
Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

Okay so finally I decided to right this review I and my wife was at long beach hotel in December for 6 nights at the superior room 139. Firstly someone stole our 1000$ from my wife's bag which was in the room but no one cared I complained to the security they did their investigation then called the police, police came after couple of hours and said we I'll look into it and did nothing, next day I went to see the manager but even he didn't looked like he cared much.
Secondly one of the housekeepers while cleaning our room broke our sheesha (hookah) it's a smoking thing and then put it in bag the glass pieces, okay it wasn't worth much but still people have decency to let us know that they are sorry for breaking something apart from all of this which literally ruined our vacations resort it self is fantastic full of fun and humble people around

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Saad G
Stephane J, Resident manager at Long Beach Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
First of all, please accept our most sincere apologies for the alleged theft which was beyond our control. Indeed, as the matter has been referred to the Police station, we have no reversal of this situation. Our Security Manager has contacted them several times for follow up and unfortunately haven’t a positive reply from them and it is still under investigation.

As far as the hookah is concerned, please accept our apologies once again. We wish to inform you that the room attendant concerned was reprimanded and severe actions have been undertaken against him.

We thank you for your understanding and again, we feel sorry for the shortcomings encountered which has unfortunately ruined your stay.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Belle Mare
#1 of 12 in Belle Mare
Constance Belle Mare Plage
Constance Belle Mare Plage
#3 of 12 in Belle Mare

Been to Long Beach Golf & Spa Resort? Share your experiences!