“Beautiful, beautiful Longbeach”

Long Beach Mauritius
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Belle Mare
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Just returned from a 13 night holiday at Long Beach with my husband. We booked with Virgin Holidays and flew Air Mauritius. We did upgrade to business class with Air Mauritius and this was well worth it as the flight was amazing and it really didn't feel like we were on the plane for 12 hours, as a matter of fact we slept for half of that on the way out. We stayed on an all inclusive basis and I would recommend this.

The hotel is breathtakingly beautiful and we think the architect deserves some sort of award for the wonderful job he/she has done. From the minute you enter the grounds you can see the quality of the hotel. The reception is very minimalistic and chic and I love the fact that you don't queue at the desk to check in but instead relax on the seating and have a drink while the receptionist brings you the check in paperwork.

We were lucky enough to stay in a beachfront room - 131 and have absolutely no complaints about this whatsoever. The room is very tastefully decorated and spacious with loads of wardrobe space (the most I have ever had in a hotel, including Dubai).

We spent our time sunbathing either at the beach or on the upper level of the horizon pool. The service we received from staff was second to none. On the second day Vishal at the pool/beach knew our name, room number and preferred drinks. The food both during the day and the evening was excellent. I particularly think the lunchtime menu at tides is exceptional (I actually wished some of the dishes and deserts were on the evening menu there). Sometimes we didn't want a full lunch and just wanted a snack and the pool bar excelled at this. I loved the beach/pool service where you didn't even have to get off your sunbed - lunch would be brought to you on a tray and always with beautiful crisp white linen tray cloths and napkins. In the evenings we ate at Tides, Chopsticks and le Marche. We didn't try Hasu but I wish I had now. We also had the Friday night seafood buffet at Tides which we thoroughly enjoyed. Fantastic lobster!!

Whether I was at the beach or the pool, I would have a cocktail delivered to my sunbed at about 11 o'clock every morning, compliments of Satish at the pool bar. I would like to mention the staff now. I feel that all of the staff without exception are trained to an extremely high standard and are among the most pleasant and helpful staff I have ever encountered. Unfortunately I cannot remember all of their names but the ones I do remember are Vishal and Joanna who did the beach/pool service. Satish, Danni and all the guys at the pool bar and ?Vaz and the pretty girl at Shores bar. Everyone of these knew our preferred drinks and we enjoyed chatting to them all. In chopsticks the older waiter whose name has escaped me gave first class service and went over and above to provide us with a lovely table one evening when we ate with friends we had met - Julie and Ian. Also the young girl in chopsticks who has an 8 month baby was so personable and lovely. I do not want to leave out any member of staff as they were all lovely and we did not encounter any that were miserable or discourteous. All the food we ate was of a very high standard and some of the deserts were to die for. The wine on the all inclusive was also very good, especially the sparkling wine and don't even get me started on the cocktails.

For once the Brits wre in the minority at this hotel but we met some fab friends, Julie & Ian and Mary and Alan and the lovely couples with children we met in our first week. The majority of the French guests do not like to chat like us British do! There were also some South African guests at the hotel who were really nice but I did encounter a very rude South African woman at the pool bar who spoke to staff as if they were dirt! I really did not like this.

Mention also has to be given to the fantastic band that played in Shores bar. They were absolutely brilliant. The male and female singers were outstanding and really should get to the UK to get on The Voice!! We had many a good night in the bar listening and dancing the band.

Negatives - I don't really have any apart from the fact that it was dissappointing that Sapori (the Italian restaurant) wasn't open as an a la carte in the evening. We weren't really given an explanation as to why it was a la carte for the lunchtime service but buffet in the evening.

Well I think that's it. We will definitely be back to the beautiful Long Beach Hotel on the very beautiful island of Mauritius.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank welshsunlover
Stephane J, Resident Manager at Long Beach Mauritius, responded to this reviewResponded May 11, 2013

It is very gratifying to read such compliments from you. A big thank you for all those praises and we are very delighted to learn that you had a wonderful, enjoyable, relaxing and amazing holidays amongst us. We feel proud that our team has extended a legendary service which was to your expectation. We will definitely pass on this comment to all our team members who excelled in delivering this particular service to you.

We take note of your comment with regards to the Sapori and would like to inform you that due to the high occupancy, we had to exceptionally extend Sapori as buffet style. We sincerely apologise for the inconveniences.

Thank you once again for your fidelity towards Long Beach and the whole team is eager to welcoming you back to our shores soon.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

just returned from another great week at Long Beach and was just as good as the last time.....will definitely be back again next year - awesome property, great location, lovely beach, good activities and awesome food and drink.....

Room Tip: beach front room is the best
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Stephane J, Resident manager at Long Beach Mauritius, responded to this reviewResponded May 11, 2013

We are delighted to read that your renewed holidays at Long Beach also has been a wonderful one again. Thank you for your positive comments and for your loyalty towards us. We would be very pleased to welcoming you back again in the near future for another great experience.

With reiterated thanks

Reviewed May 5, 2013

The location and buildings are beautiful. The buildings, the piazza, the swimming pools are stunning. Where this hotel seriously lacks is the service and 'we are going to "rip you off where we can-" attitude".

Negatives include: Dont bother to book the superior beachfront room - we got stuck behind the swimmingpool with a complete garden view, and what can only be described as a very slight sea view. On complaining, I was ensured this was a superior beachfront room, eventhough no beach was in sight and not even within 100m. Secondly, the price of the in-room non-complementary coffee is Rs75 for 1! No other complimentary coffee or tea. I think 2 star properties provide tea and coffee in the room. On enquiring about this, sorry, it is our policy to have no complimentary coffee at this hotel. Later got a bottle of nescafe coffee in the room, no milk, no kettle. Dont think about room service- tray charge Rs230 per person - so 2 cappucinos served in the room, would cost about Rs550!!!!!! Prices for drinks and food is very expensive, but most of the reviewers know about this and unfortunately the prices of drinks and food is very expensive at most mauritius hotels.

On arrival at the hotel almost one of the first things the reception staff told was sorry, i know at the previous hotel they provided you with fresh milk free our baby, but here, you have to pay. The milk container 250ml was Rs70/80 It is not as if a small childs eats anything on the buffet?

In room, refilled shampoo and soap containers. Nothing special. Strangely no conditioner. And only in the shower. Bathwater during peak use times was luke warm. The only place to put a hairstraightener into a socket has no mirror. No cotton balls or tissues. The AC works on a motionsensor, and at night, obviously while sleeping the sensor does not pick up the movement and the room temperature is not maintained at the set temperature. You have to dance around the room during the night to activate it. During April it is fine, but in hotter periods the sensors switch off and the rooms do get warm at night. No DVD player. We placed a dirty nappy outside the door in a dustbin one afternoon, only the next afternoon did the cleaners realise there is a soiled nappy outside the room and removed it.

The main buffet restaurant was disappointing. During breakfast you almost have to beg for coffee. The coffee would arive with no teaspoons. No one would realise, hey, a family with a baby just walked in, can we offer a baby chair. The food was limited. And dont be late, on two occasions they started packing up the food at 10 past 10. They should be open to 10:30. On enquiring the chef just ignored my husband, and walked straight passed him. The nutella was still in the original nutella container on the serving station, with one dirty spoon - what a dilemma to get the nutella off the spoon, saw quite a few people doing it with their fingers, and put it back in the nutella jar!!! Spilled Juice was on the tables, breakfast cereal was just lying on the table, and it didnt seem that they cleaned up whilst people were eating. Had 2 cappucinos while i was there, both were served luke warm at the cost of Rs125 each. No seafood buffet at the main restaurant, it was only at a very expensive rate at another restaurant. At Le Touessrok we had a fantastic seafood buffet, with oysters, king praws, a whole cooked tuna to mention a few. No extra cost, as part of half board buffet. We sat at three different tables, all three were lobsided and loose. The upholstered chairs are dirty with food stains.

Beach towels - you almost had to sign them in and out. We were almost paranoid of the consequences of forgetting a beach towel and not returning it.

This is a beautiful hotel, but unfortunately service quality is seriously lacking and I will not be recommending it to any one soon.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Mtblady
Stephane J, Resident Manager at Long Beach Mauritius, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2013

We regret very much to read your comments and we can only apologise for the behavior and attitude of our team members and for the bad experience you encountered. Furthermore, if you compare the prices at other hotels in Mauritius, you will obviously notice the difference and we can reassure you that it is cheaper than other 5 star resorts. We feel sorry if it has been perceived as such.

We are surprised to read about the aircon sensor and that you had to move around to activate it. We would like to inform you that the sensor automatically detects the human body temperature and activate in itself.

However, we will not justify ourselves for all the points mentioned and can only regret for the inconveniences you had to endured at our hotel. Nevertheless, we will take remedial actions in each and every outlets you mentioned above in order to avoid such comments in the future.

Thank you for your understanding.

With renewed apologies for the shortcomings.

Reviewed May 4, 2013

Our stay at Long Beach was made of very good and very bad moments. We are living in Mauritius, and we decided to try Long Beach because of the good comments we got from friends and also because it's a great place to go in family.

First of all, nothing to say about the location and the infrastructures. Recently built (the old Coco Beach was completely demolished), the Long Beach is very well designed. The contemporary look is also wonderful. We were particularly impressed by the piazza where you can reach all restaurants, pools, bars and reception quickly, but at the same time, it's intimate. Even if there's animation and music during the evenings (or even at night), you won't hear anything from your room. That's well done!

Speaking of animation, the local group playing 4 nights/week are absolutly amazing. 80's-90's, jazz, recent pop music, it seems to be a new show every night.

The beach was nice despite the fact that the sea was quite rough during our stay. Rooms are spacious and well designed. Very, very clean!! A lot of hotels in Mauritius are quickly seeing the age of time, even after one or two year. Long Beach seems to be brand new, even after being open for nearly 2 years now.

Our kids spent a wonderful time at the kids club, lots of activities and wonderful monitors to take care of them. Special thanks to Agnès, Sharon, Véronique, Stéphanie and Rina. The gym is also amazing!! If staying fit during a stay is important for you, the gym at Long Beach is not a fake one. Top of the line Technogym equipment (with individual TV/radio) and a lot of space compared to the usual resort gym, well done! There's also a 3 corridors lap pool, a hamman (this one is free, which is not the case with the one at the spa) 3 tennis courts + a multisport court, a climbing wall, 2 beach tennis courts, a beach volleyball court, a soccer field, 2 ping pong tables, games for teenagers... and 4 pitch n' putt holes of golf! On top of giving free golf access at the Touessrok golf course, this little on site golf (4 holes ranging from 45-65 meters) was a nice surprise! Special thanks to Fabrice at the gym who came to greet us and showed all the sports activities available.

So what's the issue?

As you will sometimes find in Mauritius, some employees are really good, but other really bad. We could call it lazy or under-trained and it can really change what suppose to be a magical moment into a nightmare.

We arrived at the hotel at 11AM while check in is at 2PM. Hotels are used to that as most flights in Mauritius arrive in the morning. People were really kind, offered us a very good drink (by the way, the "ti-punch" at Long Beach is the best we ever tasted, give it a try!) and showed us a bathroom were we could change and kept our luggage at the consignee until our room is ready.

Meanwhile, I went to book golf at Touessrok (which is included), but it seems there's a golf competition and we won't be able to play... I explained that I booked at Long Beach, because golf was included, that when I booked, I asked to book golf at the same time, but was told I should book on site. If there was a golf competition, I would prefer to know it before! After arguing 15 minutes, I finally was able to get a "decent" starting time. That said, the Touessrok golf course is about 20 minutes drive from the hotel, and then, you need to take a boat shuttle, so leaving 90 minutes prior your tee time is a minimum. Let's say there are better hotels for golfers in Mauritius (and better course to play!).

Since we live in Mauritius, we are used to have these kind of little battles on a daily basis, but you are not expecting that in a 5-star hotel. So just imagine how we felt when at 2PM, they told us that our room wasn't ready? "Please sit down and relax" while showing us the sitting area in front of the reception. I was shocked. Asked to see the manager. "Unfortunately, we have a lot of departures and arrivals today and your room will be ready in about 30 minutes, please sit down and relax". I was expecting the room manager to, at least, offer us to sit down and relax at the bar..., but no, in front of the reception seems to be OK for him.

We tried to forgot these problems and wre were looking to have a great meal at the Chinese restaurant for dinner. Unfortunately, it seems that we chose the wrong items in the menu and it's been a really deceiving experience.

Next day, we wanted to try the Italian restaurant, but learned that the Italian restaurant was merged with the main restaurant and serving an international buffet. We decided to try it, but again, food was not up to our expectations and not up to what the hotel announce on his website and certainly not up to a 5-star hotel...

We then asked to meet the hotel director. Our meeting with Stéphane totally changed our stay. He apologized for the way we were treated by some of his staff and make sure the rest of our experience at Long Beach would be positive. We went back to the Chinese restaurant and met with chef Rick who showed us how they do "hand noodles". These are truly amazing and a must try! Our experience at Chopstick was a lot better the second time.

Stéphane also ask the chef of the Hasu Japanese restaurant (which is the only one not included in half-board) to prepare us a special dinner. It was a truly wonderful experience under the supervision of our excellent server, Dario.

We also experienced the Tides twice at lunch and it was very good.

All that to say that our experience at Long Beach was a real roller coaster of good and bad moments. Unfortunately, it finishes on a bad note for me as I started to feel really bad during the last evening and finally left the hotel by ambulance in the middle of the night because of a cardiac problem. The staff have been really helpful to help the ambulance get close to our room, but a local doctor referred by the hotel was suppose to come... and never showed up. A chance that my wife called the ambulance of the private hospital!

Room Tip: It's a large hotel, so be careful if you don't like to walk... If you have kids, a room on...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Stephane J, Resident Manager at Long Beach Mauritius, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2013

On behalf of the Long Beach Management team, we would like to thank you for your comments pertaining to your recent stay at our hotel. It is indeed very important to make us aware of your experience in order to improve our services. We wish to reassure you that we will definitely take this matter as a learning point to avoid recurrence of such nature in the future. Nevertheless, please accept our sincere apologies for all the shortcoming you were subjected to during your stay.

We regret very much for the sudden deterioration of your health which we would like to discuss it on a separate personal email.

Reviewed May 2, 2013

We stated here for our honeymoon just after it opened in June 2011. It was idyllic, it really was. We were upgraded to a suite and given 5 extra days all inclusive. The all inclusive choices were excellent. You didn't get bored of the choices as the were different for most of our stay.

There was the option to eat in the Japanese sushi restaurant which we got a voucher for and it covered the cost.

The day trips were a reasonable price, which was good as we got out to see a bit more of the island.

I would recommend going all in as it would be extortionate otherwise.

The staff were very friendly and the grounds were lovely. loved the infinity pool looking out over the bay and the snorkeling was great. Not the greatest beach for swimming but there are various pools for that. Loved chatting with the locals on the beach on a Sunday.

Room Tip: Get a suite
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Adele L
Stephane J, Resident manager at Long Beach Mauritius, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2013

Thank you for your valuable feedback relative to your renewed stay at Long Beach which we trust was a wonderful one again. We hope to welcoming you back in the near future for another memorable experience amongst us.

With reiterated thanks

Reviewed April 30, 2013

We have just returned on the 24th April 2013 from the most amazing week long holiday at Long Beach. From check in to check out we experienced service excellence. All our expectations were exceeded! We booked std sea facing inter leading rooms. The decor, view, cleanliness, room service was excellent. The resort has a number of restaurants giving one a variety choice of cuisine. The staff were remarkable....so friendly and eager to go the extra length. My teen kids had an awesome time with all the activities available. For me the most impressive was the ambiance and setup of the resort......truly a piece of paradise! My only regret is not having stayed longer:-)

Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 17, 2013

We spent one week at the beginning of March at this magnificent hotel and truly I have no words to describe how wonderful time we had. First of all our room, a beachfront family bungalow, was extremely spacious( 84 sq m!!!), with countless storage, two bathrooms and of course separate room for our kids. Food was of very good quality. We were on an all inclusive basis but we were always choosing the "a la carte" restaurants which means that we were enjoying our meal, sitting, without chasing food at the buffet. Our favorite was " Sapori" the Italian restaurant with great pizza and pasta. The ambiance of the hotel is fantastic, the gardens are splendid, full of palm trees and flowers, the beach is idyllic, white sand, many sun beds. All the public areas, swimming pools, bars etc, were extremely clean and well cared. The stuff is great, kind and helpful. I wouldn't miss to thank the ladies at the kids club. Their kindness was exceptional and my kids really loved spending time there. Finally, there are many interesting activities for both kids and adults, such as escalade, snorkeling, bicycle riding, etc, so if you are not fun of lying under the sun all day, you 'll never get bored!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Mary L
Stephane J, Resident manager at Long Beach Mauritius, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2013

The Long Beach team is delighted to read that you had a wonderful holidays amongst us and our food, services and standard have met your expectation. Thank you for having chosen this venue and for your compliments about the hotel facilities which you greatly enjoyed.

We hope to the pleasure of welcoming back to our shores in the near future.

With renewed thanks

2 mi away
LUX* Belle Mare
LUX* Belle Mare
#1 of 12 in Belle Mare

Been to Long Beach Mauritius? Share your experiences!