Imagine! A red blooded male,balmy night, 280 fit and fabulous French girls partying on the beach just in front of my luxurious room. No, it wasn't a dream but it might just as well have been.It's moments like this I realise I am 68 and not 28 and I skulked off to my room before midnight as the competitors from an extreme sports week headed off for the disco. By morning you wouldn't have known there had been a party, everything was as pristine and immaculate as it had been the previous morning and Long Beach continued to enchant and charm their guests in a hotel which is going to get better and better.
It was my second successive visit and already the million plants in this Eco friendly resort are developing and maturing, taking away the sharp edges of the new hotel and softening the grey of the buildings. Imagine what it is going to be like in two, three or four years time as the luxurious plant life on the fringe of the Indian Ocean continues to enfold a hotel which is fast becoming one of my, and many other, visitors favourites.
Last year I suffered some health problems( bringing them with me from London I hasten to add) but this time I was able to appreciate both the quality and diversity of the various restaurants, especially the brilliant Japanese restaurant.
I am not a buffet man but I couldn't resist the occasional visit for the wide choice from curry to international dishes and the best, and I mean the best, dessert section I have enjoyed in more than half a century travelling the globe. The only complaint was my increasing waist line!
It is always an hotel truth that the staff make the hotel and this is certainly true in this case, even though some of their top people had been eased down the road to one of the groups new resorts. It left a few novices but, as ever, their charm and natural friendliness precluded and complaints.
One of the key factors is the General Manager who has developed the hotel from the seed of an idea and who has continued to jeopardize his health and his family life in ensuring that his guests are well looked after. As is often the case in these circumstances he is being promoted to a major role and although he will still be able to oversee his baby, the general daily running will be down to someone else and naturally judgement must be reserved.
But there is no doubt that Long Beach can continue to grow and develop with its greenery. A walk along the beach and through the trees reveal huge areas which can be developed without impinging on the original "green" concept. There are still buildings hidden from general view where the old and inferior Coco Beach stood and the imagination runs wild with ideas for all sorts of developments, maybe even an exclusive restaurant away from the general , gentle hustle of the hotel and its piazza.
The bars and the bar staff were as good as the previous year, maybe even a little better, and as for my room I loved it so much I absolutely refuse to reveal the number because selfishly I don't want to share it with anyone so that I might stay there next time. Suffice to say the room itself was up to the high normal standard but, outside, I had a lawn leading to the beach, a grassy knoll to the right, shielding me from the(girls!), the pool, one of the restaurants and a busy bar.
At the risk of upsetting the GM, I still think the other coast(the West) is better served by restaurants and shops and Mauritius is an island which demands to be explored and the local people met and enjoyed.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A Sun Resorts property, Long Beach Golf & Spa Resort is located on the east coast, along one of the island's longest and widest natural beaches. Opened in 2011, it is an elegant and affable holiday resort featuring a unique blend of island chic architecture and tropical landscape. Its 255 rooms are harmoniously arranged in three semi-circles with wonderful views over the crystal-clear waters of the lagoon, the coral reef and the Indian Ocean beyond. With a choice of 5 restaurants, and an extensive range of activities including free green fees at the Ile aux Cerfs Golf Club, your holiday at Long Beach Golf & Spa Resort are a long way from ordinary. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Prestigia, Agoda, Hotwire, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets and TripOnline SA so you can book your Long Beach Mauritius reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Long Beach Mauritius Hotel Belle Mare
- Long Beach Mauritius Belle Mare