This is a fantastic hotel in a lovely location, with 5* facilities but lacks 5* service
As we wanted to celebrate my 50th birthday and renewal of wedding vows,we booked this resort a year in advance . We were fully aware that the resort would only have been open for 6 months by the time we arrived so we wern't expecting perfection.
However the inconsistances with the service proved irritating to say the least.But this all stemed from a basic lack of enough staff. Only a handful were trained to 5 * levels, whilst the rest were floundering due to the amount of work.
We booked AI, which gave us access to 4 resturants . However due to conferences guests, resturants were closed for private use. The staff were then poached to accommodate these functions, leaving a handfull of 3* trained staff to manage the holiday guests..I really felt for the staff as they were clearly over worked and as frustrated as we were with the situation.
The servicing of the rooms was a bit hit and miss. Somedays its was fine others you were missing towels, flannels, teas, coffees, cups weren't washed up. One night our room wasn't serviced at all. Then there was the case of the vanishing bottle of unopened champagne.!
There was a basic lack of communication with the guests. Although there was a weekly "whats on " guide, it didn't give you info as to the twice daily snorkling trips, the days there were going to be "traders" in the square, the fact that there were special events being held in resturants. The second week we actually had to request the guide.There was even a weekly managers cocktail party, but they didn't take this opportunity to make you aware of whay was going on then. Just felt like they were missing a trick and not selling themselves to the guests.. At times it felt like they were more interested in the conference guests..
There were however memebers of staff who were clearly wanting to provide the service, but lacked the staff under them to put this into effect.
Really must sing the praises of Jassen, Vishal and Yoseph from the pool and beach, who gave top class service.
Then there was Rebecca the wine waitress and Ajay the porter, who always had a smile and a laugh with us.
The management are aware of their shortfalls with regards to staffing and I really feel that Sun resorts isn't doing its self any favours by not addressing this matter. You can't have a 5 * resort with 3 * service..
This didn't however spoil the holiday.
The food was good and the desserts and pastries we excellant.. Bit disapointed in the Italian, very limited menu..
Chopstcks was also very good, as was Tides (when you could get in there). Just make sure you take wrap if you are eating there as it gets windy in the evenings.
There were plenty of water activities in the pool and on the beach.
Spa and Beauty Salon offered lovely treatments.
Plenty for children of all ages to do in thier own personal centre.
The whole resort was exceptionally clean and tidy, with a busy team of beach cleaners, maintenance staff, gardeners and attendants..
Isabelle our wedding cordinator really did us proud on the day. Everything was well organised and perfect from the flowers, champagne, ceremony, music, cake and photo's. She even dressed our room with balloons and hearts that evening. Then breakfast on the terrace the next morning . She really looked after us, including a cake on my birthday.
Overall we had a lovely memorable holiday, in a lovely location, with our best friends.
Would be go back again..? Probally not..
Would we reccommend this resort ? Well maybe in a year or two when they have acheived a full 5 * status. which I really hope they do.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A Sun Resorts property, Long Beach Golf & Spa Resort is located on the east coast, along one of the island's longest and widest natural beaches. Opened in 2011, it is an elegant and affable holiday resort featuring a unique blend of island chic architecture and tropical landscape. Its 255 rooms are harmoniously arranged in three semi-circles with wonderful views over the crystal-clear waters of the lagoon, the coral reef and the Indian Ocean beyond. With a choice of 5 restaurants, and an extensive range of activities including free green fees at the Ile aux Cerfs Golf Club, your holiday at Long Beach Golf & Spa Resort are a long way from ordinary. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Prestigia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, Agoda and HotelQuickly so you can book your Long Beach Golf & Spa Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Long Beach Mauritius Hotel Belle Mare
- Long Beach Golf & Spa Resort Mauritius/Belle Mare