“Rip-off - avoid at all costs!!”
Review of Symon's Restaurant

Symon's Restaurant
Ranked #13 of 19 Restaurants in Belle Mare
Cuisines: Chinese, Indian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Symon's Restaurant provides a wide selection of food at a very competitive price.
Reviewed January 30, 2010

My family are I decided to give this restaurant I try as it was mentioned in the Mauritius Lonely Planet guide. Never Again!!!

In a nutshell: frighteningly overpriced, super small portions and poor service to boot - thankfully not representative of Mauritian restaurants in general.

Word of warning: you will have to pay VAT (15%) on top of the prices quoted in the menu, the owners are quite underhand about this and will ask you to pay inside at the bar away from the view of other customers. And after all that, they REFUSE you a receipt so even if you wanted to make a complaint and show the evidence you can't
Go there at your own peril

2  Thank heart0fengland

Reviewed December 6, 2009

To be honest , i find the previous comments unbelievable because i have myself been there last month , now im back but to keep it short , i really enjoyed the food as well as my kids and husband , we even booked the restaurant for my daughter's birthday.
About the price i thought it was reasonable since the prices in Granbai can be three times expensive.

It was A good experience , The food was delicious ! Yummy i want to go back there :)

1  Thank lili09Uk
Reviewed December 2, 2009

Incredible. Absolutely the same thing happened to me as the other posters. We went in because it was in a guide book (reputable or so I thought).

"Special local menu for you sir!" Sounded good. Food was plentiful but mostly from frozen packs and worse than a supermarket TV dinner.

Restaurant is also on the main road...

When the bill came I almost fainted - £80 for a lunch for 2....... which was one of the worst meals I had ever eaten.

Avoid, miss, drive past, carry on and don't enter...

Reviewed December 1, 2009

We a family off 6 people had dinner at Symon's Restaurant in November 2009.
There where no guests when we entered the place. The waiter who showed us a table and brought us the menue did suggest to us a variety of local dishes. Exactely the same happened to the family which made the same experience a month before as you can read in there review "BEWARE" !
When my order arrived I got the wrong food and he -this strange waiter- actually made me believe i had ordered it !!! I was astonished about his ongoing conversation about my decision about the order ..........stupid me (guest) !
The food quality was not surprising at all ! It was just ok.
When I received the check we were all shocked. It was much more we had expected for the 4 adults and our 2 children .
We are actually frequent travellers visiting Mauritius every years since 2001. We got married here and we thought we were aware about restaurants like Simon,s but from time to time you meet a black sheep and than you get ripped off !
Symon charged us high prices for the food and specially the order for the nam bread was horrible.
Our bill ? Yes off course he charged VAT 15% on top of his menue prices without notice or even better there were nothing written in the menue that informed us that the VAT is not included !
After all our visits in MRU we know that there are restaurants which do not include VAT but that information is always found in the menue !
We felt cheated by Simon,s and i told him (waiter) but he just smiled and said a funny thing " Yes I know, my fault, I am sorry " !
What is he sorry for ? Ripping off the tourists, his own guest,s ?
Now we will share our experience, like the other family who also wrote a review, in order to make other travellers aware that this will happen to them if they choose to have dinner or lunch at Simons.s restaurant. I actually did argue with Symon but as he did not care att all I had to write down my bad experiences in this review.
It is a real shame they tried it also on us since so many Mauritians are very honest and only give you the best food.

1  Thank basse6052
Reviewed September 21, 2009

We (family of 3) went for lunch at Symon's Restaurant in September 2009. It was very quiet and there was only one couple dining. The waiter who showed us a table and brought us the menue did - after a while - suggest to us a variety of local dishes as freshwater prawns, fish etc. My husband was interested in these dishes but I was not and only fancied some Indian vegetarian dish as '5 types of dhal'. My husband in the end ordered the daily specials for himself while I was sticking with my okra and dahl dishes. We also ordered naan but were told it was only available in the evening. We were told they would be making chapattis instead. All fine. When the food arrived I was astonished about the large portions they served my husband and the tiny vegetable portions I received. The '5 types of dhal' were just one watery dhal dish. Then we received 6! chapattis. All ok so far. The food quality was mediocre - the prawns certainly not fresh and tastet and felt like they were previously frozen. When I received our bill I was really shocked. It was over 2400 rupees for 2 adults which is roughly GBP50. In similar places in Mauritius we paid between 500 and 1000 rupees. Symon charged us very high prices for his daily specials. He did say he cooked it all for two - despite we made it clear it was only for one. He also charge 280 rupees for chappattis! The naan in the menue was 70 or 80 rupees. In addition, he charged VAT 15% on top of his menue prices (I did not pick this up from the menue but I am aware that some restaurant in Mauritius do not include VAT in their prices but put it on top when you ask for the bill). I did feel cheated by the person in the restaurant and decided to share my experience in order to make other travellers aware that this may happen to them if they do not stick to the menue. I did not argue with Symon since I did not feel like it and he got away with it. So if you go there make sure you ask in advance how much his daily specials are and if VAT is included or not. It is a real shame they tried it on with us since so many Mauritians are very honest and only give you the best food.