“Terrible Diveshop - Avoid At All Costs” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Euro Divers Kandooma

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 69 helpful votes
“Terrible Diveshop - Avoid At All Costs”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2012

First, the good: Holiday Inn Kandooma is a fantastic resort, with top-notch bungalows at reasonable prices and excellent service from the very friendly multinational staff. I would highly recommend a stay at HI Kandooma. The dive sites are quite good as well, especially if you like big fish. Not as ideal for macro, of course, given the lower biodiversity and the sometimes strong currents.

Now to the bad part – I cannot recommend the Euro-Divers at Kandooma. Unfortunately (as at all resorts in Maldives) they have the monopoly. I have dived with them twice, thinking that the first time may have been a fluke and wanting to give them another chance. My observations below:

1) The staff – Pedro and Oliver were overall friendly and competent. However, that was not the case with the others - Samir in particular was highly unpleasant to be around and the dives that he led were particularly poor. On one dive to Kandooma Thila (which is the top divesite in the area), we ended up seeing no large fish at all – quite an accomplishment!

2) The biggest issues I had was the complete inflexibility of the staff, in particular Samir. It started right in the beginning – they insist on a “refresher dive” unless you have a documented dive within the prior three months. Quite extreme, but OK. Problem is, they don’t tell this to you anywhere, nor was it mentioned when I called them in the morning. So I walked to the dive shop, only to be told I have to go all the way back to get my gear to do the refresher dive. I asked – can I just do it right before the 2PM dive, instead of walking back and forth? The answer was: absolutely not – that’s not convenient for the staff. This was a recurrent theme, in fact – the dive center seems to be run more for the benefit of the staff, then the guests.

3) Finally, in line with Euro-Divers philosophy of “the customer is always wrong”, they overcharged me at the end. They counted the number of dives wrong – I dove 13 dives, as I was aiming for the 12dives+1free package. They only recorded 12 dives and charged me a HIGHER price than for the 12+1 dives package. Despite discussing this issue with them THREE times, they refused to adjust the final price and I had to pay more than the correct amount. The difference was less than 5% of the total dive bill.

I still can’t believe that (a) they recorded the number of dives wrong and refused to correct it, then (b) they charged me MORE for 12 dives than for 13 dives – effectively overcharging me for NOT taking the “free” dive and (c) refusing to do anything about it despite the fact that I was visibly upset and complained 3 times. This last episode summed up the whole experience – avoid Euro-Divers at all costs!

Visited March 2012
5 Thank BigDiveNut

London
58 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 127 helpful votes
“Best and professional diving team”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2011

Just finished 5 dives with Euro Divers in Kandooma. The guys are very professional and really did help with increasing my diving confidence. The guys Samir, Pedro, Emmanel and Oliver are a great professional team. Highly recommend.

Did my PADI Advance Open Water Diver and PADI Enriched Air Nitrox diver training.

Ocean very rough felt sick on one occasion with sea sickness :-)

Had a great dive experience diving at upto 30 meters deep. Saw White tip sharks, turtles, eagle ray, manta ray, massive Napoleon, tuna and bat fish lots of reef and coral fish.

Did the following speciality dives

Deep diver - diving at maximum 30m training. Was shitting it but no different from diving at 20 meters. Except you can suffer CSN and decompression sickness.

Nitrox diver - did the exam and passed so I can now dive with Nitrox.

Drift diver - brilliant swimming with the current. Strongish current had to hold onto the reef felt like superman.

Fish identification - marine life in maldives has to be the best. Nice casual drift dive and diving through a small tunnel with hundreds of smaller fish.

Underwater photography - got some great video and pics will upload later. Navigation dive - nice and easy at 20m.

Visited July 2011