“Great view, excellent facility and poor service.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Angsana Velavaru

Angsana Velavaru
A TripAdvisor Member
“Great view, excellent facility and poor service.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013

The communications between the employees are poor. Do not expect for the smiles from the employees, especially in restaurant and bar. I sent an email to th reception and got the reply even I left the resort.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013

I stayed at Angsana Velavaru in Maldives from Sep.10 to Sep.15 for holiday with my family. I had really wonderful time there. As my experienced, this resort is very good and everything is satisfied. My mom is 71 years old, so I was very worrying before staying there, but she had never problem due to all staffs genuinely took care about her. Specially, Mini (a staff who can speak Korean) gave us deep impression. I want to send my appreciation to her again.

The location and services of the resort is excellent as well. If I will have opportunity to trip to Maldives, I want to stay at Angsana Velavaru and can recommend it to my friends.
I am very happy to stay at the resort!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013

My parents, sister and I stayed at Angsana Velavaru for 3 nights. The villas and restaurants on the island are relatively spaced out (some islands are quiet cramped). There’s also a kids club if you have kids, a spa and gym. We had a very good time and the only negative part is the cost of the seaplane ride (USD400++ per person, monopolized by the local company).

- Villa
We only stayed on the land villas throughout our stay and had booked two Jet pool villas. The villa is tastefully designed with touches of oranges which brighten up the room. The toilet and standing shower is outside the room leading to your jet pool. Both have no individual door, which would not be an issue as there is a main door that locks out the entire outdoor area. There’s also your own sundeck or lounge chairs facing the beach and the sea. Our villas face the InOcean Villas and the view is amazing.

Each villa has its own dedicated housekeeper who cleans your villa throughout your stay. If I had known, I would have brought some goodies or chocolates for my housekeeper as he did such a good job! His name is Moosa. Lastly but most importantly, the beds are comfortable.

- Food
There’s 3 restaurants, 2 on the island and 1 on the InOcean Villas. For full board, it will be at the main restaurant which serves buffet. The food variety and quality for buffet was quite good as of course you cannot compare to a set menu quality (where chef cooks dish by dish). We top up for Lobster Set Dinner on one of the nights and it was really, really yummy!

- Service
From front office, to transportation (boat crew), to diving centre, spa, restaurant outlets, housekeeping, even the coconut climbers (we saw 2 guys who climbs coconut trees to remove falling leaves and falling coconut so that they won’t fall on guests), they are always smiling and 9 out of 10 if not 10/10 greets you, at least with a smile or a nod. Especially the staff at the restaurants, they are young, enthusiastic and happy. I guess happy staff makes happy guests. The staff really made a difference to our stay. If you remove this element, it would be like any other resort.

This is not a resort of luxury, personal butler service and top notch chef quality food. This is a resort of many activities (there’s lots to do), a superb combination of land and villas on the ocean, great diving and snorkeling instructors, a nice cheerful villa with comfortable bed and staff that makes you feel at home.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

3 Thank Keira_Xquis
Avenel, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

My husband and I spent 6 days at angsana velavaru sunset in ocean villa for the first time in maldives. The resort is beautiful and well maintained. Employees are very attentive and went the extra mile to serve the customers. Once, we were late for the ferry transfer to the mainland, instead of saying straight 'no' or 'there's nothing we can do', the employee actually managed to arrange another boat which so happen to be able to stop by and pick us up. I like their professionalism and hospitality. Whenever we request something, employees came by within 5-10 minutes. We had an amazing time here and absolutely love the in ocean villa. We personally prefer the in ocean villa than the beach front, though we still make daily trips to the mainland for some beach activities. The sting ray feeding should not be missed and we enjoyed thoroughly.
Overall it was a great resort to stay in maldives!

Room Tip: Sunset in ocean villas 345, 347, 349 have good privacy and faces the house reef, absolutely a good c...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank vvfong
Crowthorne, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2013

We have just returned from our first family holiday to the Maldives. My husband and I have previously stayed at the Hilton Rangali (now the Conrad) as young twenty-somethings, and then honeymooned at Taj Exotica and Soneva Gili (now Gili Lankanfushi) ten years ago. This was to be our first ever family beach holiday with our 8 year old son and 4 year old daughter and it had to take place in August. We did our usual thing of looking at options all over the world and typically came to the conclusion we simply had to visit The Maldives again. I had strong reservations about travelling during low season as we had only visited in dry Feb/March in the past but work commitments (and budget) restricted us. Friends and family voiced scepticism about taking kids to a honeymoon destination but I was confident we had found the ideal resort!

Our list of requirements from a resort was very different to our previous trips and also pretty long -
A beach front villa with large private plunge pool
A separate bedroom for the children (but not a separate villa)
At least 2 restaurants
A kids club
No unsightly break waters
A seaplane transfer making it far enough from Male to have abundant sea life - the kids wanted to Find Nemo

Angsana Velavaru delivered on all points and has just given us the family holiday of a lifetime - to be repeated as often as possible!

We stayed in a Velavaru villa for 10 nights and then hopped over to an InOcean Sunset Villa for another 4.

Weather-wise we had 2 almighty storms, one on our first night and one on the following afternoon. The sky was overcast for the first few days with a number of brief rain showers but this worked well for us as it helped the kids ease into the change of climate and reduced humidity. From the fourth day onwards it was typical blue Maldivian skies and still waters. My reservations over visiting during the Monsoon season were unfounded and we would definitely visit again in August.

The kids spent their days swimming in our pools and the sea, snorkelling, hermit crab hunting, sand castle building, fruit bat spotting, tree climbing, coconut gathering, playing with the wonderful Tini in the Kids Club, going for buggy rides around the island, eating until stuffed and drinking the most amazing Mocktails. There were all sorts of other activities available like glass bottom canoes, pedalos, kayaking and a myriad of motorised water sports but we all quickly fell into a completely relaxed state and were happy "just being" so we're saving all of that for when we go back, which will hopefully be very soon!!

The staff are completely outstanding! So friendly, competent and skilful. We were nurtured, pampered, enlightened and entertained from the moment the plane landed at Male until it took off again 14 days later.

Our daughter celebrated her 5th birthday on the island and she was treated like an utter princess. Our wonderful waiter Fahaz presented her with a stunning leaf origami bird of paradise with a handwritten birthday message on the wings at breakfast. Tini spoiled her rotten at the Kids Club and gifted her with a hand painted t shirt. The bar staff created a party complete with balloons, hand made party hats, flower decorations and a beautiful and very tasty birthday cake. And she was rendered speechless when we returned to their bedroom to find her bed linen arranged as a butterfly and decorated with petals. And so our son didn't feel left out there was a monkey made from a towel wearing his sun glasses hanging over his bed. I am annoyed with myself for forgetting the name of the fellow who did our housekeeping on the island, as he was superb and we are hugely grateful.

We opted for a bed and breakfast basis as we wanted the flexibility to eat when and where we fancied, and this worked well for us. Breakfasts were bountiful and daily we gorged on the fresh fruit and pastries before paying Prasantha a visit at the egg station and piling our plates with hot food. This meant most days we were stuffed until an early dinner which was either in villa dining if we were feeling lazy, or at the bar. It was Ramadan when we arrived so the restaurants opened later at 8pm. This was too late for the children as they were having far too much fun to take a siesta during the day. We were delighted to find that the bar menu was extensive (for food and cocktails) so we didn't feel like we missed out. And it also meant we were well situated for the weekly discos and hermit crab racing. Our son was delighted to be crowned Crab Champion and is very proud of his certificate and prize voucher (a very generous prize voucher at that).

We were sad and yet excited to leave the island for the InOcean villas. The first couple of hours were a bit worrying if I am honest as my husband and I couldn't relax for worrying the children would hurt themselves or trip into the ocean. After being able to let the kids safely run free on the island we had to adjust to being more attentive and vigilant but the setting was worth it. And it was also balanced by our being able to have a snorkelling fest! Having the drop off 20m away from our steps into the ocean was amazing. Breakfasts at the Azzuro Restaurant was a slightly more formal affair than on the island but I was delighted to find chilled champagne was a help-yourself-option. Housekeeping again were superb and left gifts for us all on a nightly basis as well as cookies for the kids.

Thank you everyone at Angsana Velavaru, we had the most perfect holiday imaginable. Our only problem now is that the kids are ruined – this is their benchmark for all future holidays, they don't want to go anywhere else, and they would like to return very, very soon. Fingers crossed.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
9 Thank Mad_On_The_Maldives
KL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

This is the 2nd time we returned to Maldives and this time we stayed at Angsana Velavaru. Angsana Velavaru is one of the top notch resorts in Maldives. We were there for 7 nights at their sanctuary inocean villa (iov) and we took the all inclusive package (beverages like wine and beer were included).

Hope the feedback below you will find them useful for your booking:

Sea plane connection (both ways):
This is excellent! From the time we were escorted to their VIP lounge at the sea plane terminal. It was taken less than 10 mins to get onboard to the sea plane. They took your feet measurement and prepare all the snorkeling equipments for you. So you will have them prior arrival. Isn't this convenient? On the day of departure, the sea plane already at the platform waiting for us to depart. Some reviewers mentioned that they wasted a lot of time for the sea plane departure but not for my case.

Check in:
We already checked in at their VIP lounge at the sea plane terminal. So when we arrived, they brought us to our iov straight away. And it was so nice of them to have our iov ready for early check in.

IOV:
We stayed at the 2 bedrooms IOV. It is spacious and they have done a good job at maintenance. The IOV is about 4 years old but it doesn't look old. The pool is great and large enough for our family to enjoy the swim. They also have a living room and is spacious. We had in villa BBQ offered by the F&B manager at the roof top of the IOV. It was a very nice dining experience at night. Our IOV is located at the sun rise side. Hence, not much to see if you would like to snorkel nearby it. IOVs at the sunset side have rich corals and you will enjoy it. We did that and I must Angsana Velavaru has beautiful corals that guests can go snorkeling just at the IOV. Unlike other resorts which you will need to pay extra to go snorkeling to see corals and reef fishes. Angsana Velavaru offers daily house reef snorkeling trips for in house guests. You must join! We saw sea turtle and according to them that is easy to spot sea turtles during snorkeling. The resort also offers many types of water sports. We tried the fun tube and it was abit scary due to the bumpy waves we experienced during the afternoon. You can also do wind surfing, kayaking, banana boat, kite flying, scuba diving etc. They also offers excursions if you are interested.

F&B:
This plays an important part for the resort. Especially for guests who have a long stay like us. I must say the breakfast is boring after a few days. We stayed at iov and we got to choose to dine at either Kaani or Azzuro. Kaani is located at the main island and Azzuro is located at the IOV. Azzuro is more of a higher standard of dining experience for guests. This includes the quality of food and services provided at the restaurant is different from Kaani. We also found that the freshness of food at Azzuro is way better than Kaani. The best thing about Kaani is they have more varieties of fruits compare to Azzuro. Lunch is either semi buffet or set meals. We found majority guests were on half board. So it's really depends on what you need. They have different buffet themes every night. But we still enjoy dining at Azzuro compare to Kaani. Their soup, breads, seafood, australian beef and lamb are all so tasty and delicious. Their prime lambs were imported from New Zealand. We like curry and you must try their curry. The chef Wasana knew we like curry and he prepared curry chicken, curry vege and curry crabs for our lunch. So nice of him! The F&B manager also offered seafood dinner for us during our stay. The lobsters, scallops, tiger prawns, squids, fish fillet were cooked just nice and the meat were juicy. One of our favourite dish is the fukien noodles. This special noodles are imported from Fukien, China. It's a simple dish but the chef prepared it so tasty and we can have it almost everyday. My kids enjoy this dish too! My daughter likes their linguini cabornara and the australian grilled beef tenderloin. She ordered every time for her meal.

Desserts are home made. We love their coconut, pistachio and brownies ice creams. They also have freshly made sorbet. You can always enquire what flavor they have each day.

If you expect to enjoy coffee, do not expect to have many varieties. They offer cappuccino, latte, expresso and black coffee. We prefer the cappuccino.

There's a staff called Prasantha at Kaani restaurant. He gave different treatment to guests which I was annoyed the attitude he had to Asian. I was at the egg station to order my omelette. Before me was an European lady, he was so so so nice to her and sweet talk to the guest saying she is beautiful and nice. So he cooked a very nice omelette for her. When it was my turn, I can see he shut down all those nice expression he has. And my omelette was terribly cooked. He was at the grill station for dinner buffet. He even treat Asian like transparent and very rude. Knowing some Asians are not good in English and he gave them a kind of look. When it was my husband's turn, he skipped him and went to serve another non-Asian lady!! So I complaint to the F&B manager (Mr. Dayan). Every guests in the resort deserves equal treatment. We hate this kind of people working at the resort. He probably forgotten who is the boss!

Kids Club:
My kids went to the kids club but there wasn't many activities. Tini is the person stationed at the kids club. She is a nice lady and have patience to kids. Maybe there wasn't many kids at the Club so my daughter did some coloring, mask making and we borrowed a kite from them. We had the kite flying at the beach and it was fun. Then we tried it at the IOV and it was fantastic!

Compliments:
My compliments go to Mr. Dayan and his team at the Azzuro restaurant. The team at Azzuro keep my son busy when I had my breakfast, lunch and dinner. Mr. Dayan received my complaints and he quickly rectified the issue and apologized. The chef Wasana and the chef who came to our villa and cook for us (sorry, I can't remember the name.), they are wonderful chef who can cook anything you like. Kudos!

And the staff (is very tanned guy who always have his sunglass on with a big smile) who always drive us back to our IOV. Thank you for the patience you have for my kids whenever they wanted to drive the buggy.

Everyone in the resort know us and they are so kind to us. We shall recommend this resort to our friends and other family members.

Room Tip: Our IOV is 362. All the 2 bedrooms IOV have good privacy. Their room no is 361, 362 & 363. Alway...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank achow
Abha, Saudi Arabia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

we stayed there for 3 nights for a short vacation. it was our first time to Maldives. The resort was very luxurious, modern and clean. staff were very helpful and nice they would answer anything you want and assit you in anything.you just need to go there and enjoy your vacation and let them handle everything else including your seaplane reservation and your air flight. the food was great tasty and variable with BBQs everyday. the view of the restaurant was amazing. the spa experience was great.

the downsides of the resort is that it is far from Male. the seaplane trip was very expensive. and the seaplane was late for more than 4 hours. limited activities to some water sports and fishing trips.

otherwise the resort experience was great. i totally recommend this resort to anyone . especially young couples who want to have a memorable stay in Maldives.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

#4 of 6 in Dhaalu Atoll
Starfish Inn Hotel
Starfish Inn Hotel
#1 of 2 in Nilandhoo

Been to Angsana Velavaru? Share your experiences!