Angsana Velavaru
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Sun Aqua Vilu Reef(Dhaalu Atoll)
  • Breakfast included
Filitheyo Island Resort(Filitheyo Island)
Kandima Maldives(Dhaalu Atoll)
  • Breakfast included
Bodu Huraa Maldives(South Male Atoll)
  • Breakfast included
Holiday Island Resort & Spa(Maamingili Island)
  • Beachfront
LUX* South Ari Atoll(Dhidhoofinolhu Island)
1,043 results
All reviewsmain islandocean villasthe banyan treepool villafishdeluxe beachfrontmarine centerhouse reef snorkellingsea planehalf boardsorbetoutdoor showerour honeymoonour waiterindian oceankids clubsting ray feeding
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 25, 2013

We stayed at Angsana Velavaru in June and as it is the peak of the monsoon season in Maldives we were a bit worried. However, to our luck we had no rain our entire trip had a perfect vacation.

The resort is by far the best one I have ever stayed in. They take great care of you from the moment you land at Male - the transfer to the sea-plane and to your rooms is managed very efficiently. You do not need to worry about your luggage from the moment you land - they will magically take care of it and it will only re-appear in your room.

We stayed for 4 nights on the beach villa and 1 night on the in-ocean villa. Both the rooms were awesome. The beach villas are all about 20m away from the ocean and you can just walk out to your own private beach and take a dip in the clean blue waters. The rooms are spacious with numerous amenities.

The in-ocean villas are a complete different world all together. They are just incredible. I do not think I will ever see such good rooms again my life. The photos they have on their website do not do justice to these rooms. They need to be experienced to be appreciated.

The island is just beautiful and perfect and you can stay there forever. They have nice restaurants and the staff and chefs at the restaurants will take great pains to ensure you are comfortable. As we were vegetarians they prepared customized meals for us almost everyday. They even had an Indian chef who made great Indian food for us.

They have a nice dive centre and water sports centre. The staff at both is very nice and friendly. They are patient with you and help you through all the activities.

They organize a daily free snorkeling trip which is very nice. Additionally, they have sting ray feeding every evening which is a must see.

I can keep going on and on about this resport - everything about it is just perfect. We had the most perfect vacation. The only let down on the trip was that we had taken a dolphin cruise, but unfortunately did not spot any dolphins - but that is the way it is. In order to make up the water sports centre gave us a discount on some other activities that we did on the next day. So no complaints there.

This place is just perfect. And perhaps even June - July are not bad times to visit when you can get the best lean season rates.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 18, 2013

I just stayed at the Angsana Velavaru over water villas, just amazing. The amount of space, the views, the comfort, I just did not want to leave the villa. I felt extremely relaxed and at home.
I tried both restaurant, the first one as part of the overwater villas complex and ti was good but I really enjoyed the seafood restaurant on the main island. We had beautiful lobster in a very nice setting and excellent service. They have at the bar Subway sandwich which are excellent served with skinny french fries which I love.
Everywhere you go the staff are extremely friendly and helpful.
I can't wait to go back and chill out in one of these villas. Highly recommend.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank FHuet
Reviewed June 9, 2013

It has been my and my wife's first visit to Maldives, but we can compare the whole experience to one of the South East Asian ones and also the rest of the worlds:

You are going to see one of the most Amazing islands here. Good for ones who want nature and luxury and quality of service the same time.

It is simply an amazing resort. What you see on the website is true, no hidden surprises

You meet great staff who like their jobs and also the customers. Rarely you can find a sorrow face.

The chef gives you a nice food with proper taste.

The service is twice a day cleaning and rechecking of your room and also the nice service in the bar, etc.

The only comment I have is taste of juices during breakfast which looked like not 100% fresh and also the prices of some of the food items.

Room Tip: Ask for villas, not much fun in the ocean villas unless you want to be 24/7 in the water.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ShahramGM
Reviewed May 19, 2013

My Husband and I have just returned from our third holiday to Angsana Velavaru. I have previously written two very comprehensive reports (check them out if you want some specific details about the island) so this time I will keep it to the highlights.

We had a wonderful 12 nights on Velavaru at Easter, very relaxing and just what the doctor ordered. Days were mainly spent eating, snorkelling, a little sunbathing, spa and lots of socialising with our friends on the island.

We went snorkelling every day, either on the house reef or off on our own little speedboat. We snorkelled most days along the house reef at IOV and spent an evening night snorkelling with our friends Hana (CSR) and Sherin (front desk). Lots of fun; plenty of giggles! Check out my previous review how to make the IOV snorkelling easily accessible - we again met couples who did not realise they could go so easily and missed out on so much! Plenty of life to be found off IOV, both along the drop off and in between the villas and edge. We spent a couple of jaunts swimming with a beautiful hawksbill turtle- he seemed to come out to feed late afternoon and was quite happy with us enjoying his company. There were a variety of eels to be found both day and night - I believe we found 5 different types on the reef. The anemone gardens off Meedhoo were beautiful.

We spent an amazing day in South Ari Atoll (less than 1 hour from Velavaru) with Hana, Solah and Kudo. We arrived at the channel south of Lux* to be greeted by a large turtle taking air. Then, almost immediately, we found our first 9 m long whale shark. We spent a lovely (all be it busy with other snorkellers) time with him although it was exhausting trying to keep up. Luckily I had my own secret weapon in the name of Solah who kept propelling me through the mêlée into clearer waters for the best views. We then hopped back on the boat, went on ahead of the shark and then jumped in again and got another chance with this giant from a head on view.
We then took a steady cruise west and with the keen eyes of Kudo and Solah we found our very own whale shark...WOW...just 5 of us in the water with him, simply amazing. We then headed round to Manta Point, not far off Conrad and spent a good 90 mins in the water with 6 mantas including a large black manta, white tip shark, and mobula...WOW...and on the way back we were surrounded by dolphins including a mum and baby leaping along our side...WOW! What an amazing day!

On another day we took a boat out to a beautiful reef just off Magaa. Mirror flat water, great vis, beautiful fish and corals; so much to see and photograph. On coming back to the boat we had dolphins in the water with us. We jumped in the boat and watched from the front, only to see a huge MARLIN leap clear out of the water, and somehow, we even got a picture of it!

The food was amazing. The chefs spoilt us night after night. Special thanks to Basa, our excellent Sri Lankan chef. He cooked specially for us on most evenings treating us to a variety of Sri Lankan cuisine and introducing us to a new world of flavours. Special thanks must go also to Wasana, Chef in Azurro; he treated us on our last day to a lunch of Sri Lankan delights- absolutely delicious and again felt so spoilt!
Breakfast was always a pleasure and we always looked forward to spending time with Chefs Prasanta and Mamun. Prasanta is the chef working on the egg station and 'hot' counter. Everyday he would prepare especially for me, crêpes with lemon and sugar. He knew it was my favourite and everyday we enjoyed a chat whilst he prepared them for me; a BIG thank you Prasanta. Chef Mamun worked on the fruit counter and on most days would have my order ready before I had even asked; quite wonderful; another BIG thank you Mamun.

Hasan was our waiter, as he has been on all our visits. Quiet, reflective and highly efficient. He was very good at remembering all our individual needs and seeing to them before we had to ask. He would make sure I had one of the lower chairs at each meal (my feet did not touch the floor on the regular chairs). He knew that mangosteens were my favourite fruit and a plate of them would appear at the end of most meals. He knew our favourite drink and it would arrive as we sat down to eat......you get the idea; Hasan you are a gentleman and excellent at your job!

Great news....this year Sarath has joined the bar team! Sarath was head barman at Banyan Tree Vabbinfaru and is now running the bar on Velavaru. It was lovely to meet up with our good friend again and to share a game of pool or two and enjoy observing the night sky through the telescope. Sarath is one of the most considerate men it has ever been our pleasure to meet and the whole bar team are a delight to spend time with, making a night in the bar a very relaxed and enjoyable affair.
We started to learn how to play Mah Jong. They have special tables in the bar and with the help of Emily, Noah and GM Albert we enjoyed an evening learning how to play. Once we had mastered the basics we enjoyed a few fun evenings with Hana and Sherin under the expert guidance of Chef Toni whiling away a few fun hours into the early hours of the morning.

Hubby and I enjoyed a couple of Thai massages with Nene, August and Namcha; all excellent therapists and definitely worth the "splurge".

Hubby also enjoyed night fishing (not for me this time!) and playing football on the beach with the staff (full time coincided with nightfall). He had a wonderful day in the company of staff and students of the school on the local island of Meedhoo and hopes to keep in touch.

A big " thank you" to Yoosuf our room boy. He kept our room immaculate and after our night snorkel we came home to find an amazing bed decoration. We have been lucky enough to holiday in the Maldives on numerous occasions and without a shadow of a doubt this was the best bed decoration I have ever seen. All I could say was "WOW!"..."WOW!"...WOW!"...and then shed a little tear (silly, i know). Just an example of the exceptional treatment you will receive on the island.

All in all we had a truly relaxing and thoroughly enjoyable holiday. A huge thank you to GM Albert and his beautiful wife Monica for welcoming us back with open arms and making us feel truly at home. As Albert said..." this is your island and your home"...and it certainly feels that way.

LOOK OUT VELAVARU...We are missing our island friends so much that we are already booked to return this summer...YIPPPPPEEEEEE!

SEE YOU ALL SOON!

Rachel and Bill

Room Tip: For uninterrupted ocean views choose sunrise side but expect a smaller beach. Sunset rooms have more beach but face out towards the IOV; your choice.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Bat_fish_babe
Reviewed May 16, 2013

I went there to cerebrate my 12years anniversary with my wife, first day of arrival the sea-plane is very warm and small feel very discomfort. but the moment we reach the resort, the whole feel is great, the staff there are very friendly and kind. there even prepare a wedding anniversary present ( A bottle of Wine, cake and fruit) for us ...so sweet... there is a few staff here that was from Singapore the country that i came from, there guild us along the island, although the island is small, but me and wife had a great time getting away from the city life, spending time alone talking about the time that we have miss along the years.

This is a place that i would highly recommend to all the people that are always busy in the city life, spend sometime on the beach, spend time that you have miss with your love one, enjoy the great view and fantastic service provide by all the staff here in Angsana.

Special one which i would like to thanks for my wonderful trip in Maldives Ms Yui, she is the best staff over here which always work with a great smile.

Nevertheless Mr Adulla which was working in the main restaurant, he brought us a lot of info and great service too.

Thanks Angsana, i will sure visit this place again in near future.

Room Tip: If you like to enjoy cold nice water swim in your own place, a beach front jet pool villa will be your best choice.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple