“Angsana Velavaru is one of the finest place that I have ever visited..!”
Review of Angsana Velavaru

Angsana Velavaru
Reviewed August 11, 2011

Hubby and I stayed at the In-Ocean Villa ("IOV") at Angsana Velavaru from 1 to 5 August. As our flight from Singapore arrived late in the night and seaplane services weren't available, we spent our first night in the Maldives at Angsana Ihuru on 31 July.

What we loved:

1) The Premier In-Ocean Villa (Room 348) - very tastefully designed with a thoughtful layout that accorded simply breathtaking views with almost complete privacy.

The inviting lap pool with a view blending into the ocean, the irresistible hammock strung neatly over the ocean, the romantic outdoor bed just right for yoga or massage therapies, etc....How often do you get all of these attributes in one single place?

Really really fabulous villa. We had packed lots of mosquito repellant but found no use for it at both the IOVs and on the main island itself.

2) The Spa - We were so glad we made advance bookings as the massages are very popular! We tried the spa at both the main island and IOV. The Javanese massage and Aryuvedic massage were so relaxing that we promptly fell straight asleep. Hubby loved the Thai-Swedish massage which gave his bad neck and shoulders much relief. We also enjoyed the Angsana massage on our last night, though we were probably still excited from our earlier catamaran doplhin sighting trip to be anywhere close to falling asleep.

3) The Activities - We tried the house reef snorkelling, kayaking, catamaran sailing. Had wonderful guides Ahmed and Suwai (I hope I spelt their names right!). It is always a great pleasure to meet people who have passion in what they do. I had a lovely exchange with Suwai on topics relating to sailing, diving, and all things related to the ocean and sea sports...Ahmed was a sweet sweet soul who would patiently explain why we should keep clear of certain areas while snorkelling (due to stronger currents, tide conditions etc.). We were really lucky to be able to sight a dolphin on our catamaran trip even though the waves weren't that calm that afternoon.

4) People watching - Hubby and I had quite a bit of fun guessing the nationality of the guests. There seemed to be more Caucasian guests at the main island and less of the IOV during our stay. There were many Chinese guests and a few Japanese, Korean, Taiwanese and Singaporean guests during our stay. I was very amused by the fashion parade from our Chinese neighbours. Long ankle-lengthed flowery or striped dresses, big floppy hats, flower accessories (most often than not in the hair) were the name of the day. I also lost count of the number of cardigans and high heeled pumps at the resort. We also spotted at least three girls totting around in their wedding gown splendor, while their (presumably) hubbies tried to lovingly capture the picture perfect shot.

What we think can be improved:

1) Ala Carte menu - As we chose not to be on full or half board, we were initially afraid that our meals were going to be very expensive. However, as it turned out, the charges were acceptable and portions really generous. Even the pricing of the non-alcoholic beverages were acceptable. On the average, we spent around USD60 per meal for the two of us. If you are small eaters, you can probably cut the bill further by sharing or being stricter on your drink choices. SO price wasn't an issue, but the selection was grating on us after the second day, as the ala carte menu was the same for both lunch and dinner. I probably fared better than Hubby as I like cheese/cream-based foods, but he has an aversion which meant many of the pizzas & pasta options were out.

At this point I must clarify that I enjoyed most of the food and drinks that we ordered (even the fish broth and stir fried vegetables from the Asian selection). It would however be more enjoyable if there was a wider selection, or better still, expand to different country's cuisine (e.g. Japanese, Thai..)

2) Frequency of ferry shuttle from IOV to main island: Apart from certain peak period, most of the ferry timings were in the interval of 1 hour. As we had planned certain activities on the main island (e.g. water sports, main island spa), we realized that we had to be really smart in selecting the right timing to book our sessions. It would have really been nice and hassle free if there is some mode of continuous water taxi transport from the IOV to main island. A small open top motor boat would work - donning a life jacket and feeling the spray of the ocean will definitely add to the sense of island adventure.

3) Cook-it-yourself Steamboat and BBQ Hotpot - It was an absolute waste of our time and USD200. The food cooked really slowly or didn't cook at all. The hotplate felt cold to the touch three quarters of the time. We had to change the machines twice but still it did not function properly. The machine was also poorly designed - there are better ones in Asia with the pot for the broth in the center and the bbq surrounding it. There were many times we felt we were biting into half cooked meats. In the end, we gave up and did not finish cooking the rest of the food. Hubby was really annoyed to be charged the full USD200 despite the in-room dining staff knowing that it did not work. Overall, I did enjoy the experience of the cook-it-yourself in the beautiful Maldives setting, but would have enjoyed it a lot better with better equipment. I would also suggest to increase the quantity of the condiments and chicken broth.

Conclusion: Angsana Velavaru is a fantabulous resort destination. We would definitely want to visit Maldives again, and it is highly likely we will still choose to stay in the IOV at Angsana Velavaru.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rokugatsu

Reviewed August 9, 2011

Absolutely fabulous, from resort perspective to environment or food - Asian, Maldivian - spicy, Indian or even European. Definitely a delightful place to spent you honeymoon or vacation. Great snorkelling guides as well as restaurant or "room" staff. This was one of my best vacations and I will go there again. I am a perfectionist and this resort has been really perfect

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank gradovi
Reviewed July 28, 2011

We chose to stay at Angsana Velavaru as we had previously stayed at all three sister resorts, Angsana Ihuru, Banyan Tree Vabbinfaru and B.T Madivaru, and had loved them all.
On arrival at Male Airport we were whisked away to the calm oasis of the dedicated Seaplane Lounge, and had to wait only a short time for the 40 minute flight. Once at Velavaru, we were warmly welcomed by the manager and staff and shown to our room. We had chosen to stay in a Pool Beach Villa, and it was the perfect choice for us. Our villa was positioned on the side of Island that faces away from the I.O.V's and arrival jetty etc, so our view was uninterrupted and had a true 'castaway' feeling. With only the sound of the distant crashing surf for company, it was wonderful to sit out at night and watch the stars appear. The villa itself was spacious and cool, with a lovely private rear garden for the large plunge pool and a shady front deck with privacy screens and a table and chairs. The bed was huge with quite a firm mattress, there is a tv, complimentary wifi and wonderful signature toiletries.
The island, of course, is beautiful, with no tidal erosion and a huge lagoon, although the lack of a near - by house reef meant snorkeling was not our main activity here, and we did miss this. We did however find some nice areas in the lagoon to spot fish and of course the water is deliciously warm year round.
We had chosen the half board option, which worked well as a large breakfast and an early evening meal meant we did not bother with lunch very often. My husband went night fishing and his catch was prepared by the chef the next day, complimentary, and it was delicious too. The remote location of this island does mean that some food supplies take a little longer to arrive and when compared to Resorts closer to Male, the food was sometimes a little disappointing, but that's the trade off for being in a far flung Atoll, the plus side is no light pollution from the Capital and the Airport, so I guess you have to decide which is more important to you personally. Cocktails are lovely and very reasonable at 'Happy Hour', the wine we chose was all very good, as was the cool refreshing draught 'Tiger' beer.

This is a very relaxed and chilled out resort, great to get away from it all, very little in the way of evening entertainment, and that is fine by me. There is a traditional band that play on Friday's, a wonderful Manager's cocktail evening at the I.O.V's and one night a week 'crab racing' is held in the bar. I was uncomfortable with this event, as it involved using little hermit crabs, which were being handled roughly in some cases and it just didn't sit right with the company's Green Imperative ethos. I think it should be replaced with another activity that does not involve using wildlife.

While we were here, the majority of guests were Chinese, very few Europeans were staying, and this was a marked change from our previous visits to the Maldives. Some of the guests were snorkeling and wearing full body cover, including boots and gloves, to protect themselves from the coral. This of course means that a lot of damage is caused to the fragile and slow growing coral structures. This was also evident from the fins we loaned from the Dive Centre, they were covered in scratches! It is terrible that people are being so careless and it was frustrating to watch as inexperienced 'snorkeler's' walked and stood on the coral's. I would recommend that before visiting the Maldives, anyone who is new to snorkeling, have lessons first, or at least ask the Dive Instructors for advice. It is difficult for the Resort staff to monitor what goes on in the water, it is really down to the guests to be responsible and respectful and to read the information sheets if in any doubt.
We did not dive here, but found the Dive Centre staff to be really friendly and approachable.
To conclude, this is a lovely resort, with wonderful accommodation and excellent staff and management. Highlights for me were viewing the moon through the Resort's excellent telescope, sitting on our deserted beach at night moon gazing and chatting to the various members of staff who were all so friendly and interesting and passionate. As usual the lovely 'gifts' which are left each evening on the bed were very much appreciated, thank you for that.

Room Tip: Pool villa was worth the extra cost.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Kyera S
Reviewed July 28, 2011

My husband & I with my younger son stayed at Angsana Velavaru between 5-11 June 2011. The trip turned out to be much much nicer than I had expected. The service which we received from Mr. Andrew Langston & his team at Angsana Velavaru way exceeded any other resorts which we have visited so far. It is the "BEST"

The seaplane ride from Male to Velavaru was nice. It was magical to see the atols from the sky. Upon arrival, the resort boat was ready to take us on a short ride to the island. We stayed 2 nights on beach villa and 2 nights on In-Ocean-Villa (IOV). The stay at the beach villa "113" was very relax and restful. It was also very breezy. The IOV is newer and had all the modern facilities. The best part was you could step down from your villa straight into the sea. However, not much to see around the villas unless you are brave enough to swim to the end of the atol.

There is an excellent choice of food and beverages. Mr. Dayan and his team took very good care of us and we had a wonderful time at each meal. We like the telescope where we could see the moon on clear nights.

We tried the deep sea snorkelling and night fishing. The sea was rough and it rained a little on the day we went. Unfortunately, we did not see much. I was too busy following the guide to enjoy the reefs and fishes. Night fishing was fruitful. We could even had the fish caught for sashimi the next day, prepared by the kitchen. It was wonderful!!

As our returned flight to Singapore was at midnight, Mr. Andrew Langston arranged for us to visit Banyan Tree, Vabbinfaru (30 minutes speedboat ride from Male). We arrived in time to see the stingray feeding. The front desk manager on duty( I am sorry to have forgotten his name) was very kind to bring us around the island and showed us the facilities.

Everything was so perfect and we cannot thank Mr. Andrew Langston and his team enough for the great hospitality extended.

Room Tip: If you are travelling with family, ask for IOV room 362 or beach villa 113
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank kyean
Reviewed May 28, 2011

This was our fifth holiday in the Maldives and our sixth resort, previously staying or visiting Soneva Gili (honeymoon), Banyan Tree Vabbinfaru, Banyan Tree Madivaru, Angsana Ihuru and Baros.

My husband and I spent 8 wonderful nights at Velavaru from 13 April - 21 April. This was a bit of a last minute booking / extra treat as we already had our Maldivian summer holiday booked but both needed a break. We had previously met the Deputy Manager, Hilmy, last year at Vabbinfaru and it was on his recommendation that we chose Velavaru.

We transferred via a full seaplane which luckily had been delayed as our Emirates flight was 1 ½ hours late arriving. We arrived to blue sky and sunshine, and the welcome of Hilmy and Amjed waiting for us on the jetty. After a sorbet and a catch up with Hilmy in the Funa restaurant, Amjed took us to our villa via a tour of the island. Hilmy had allocated us to villa 132, a Beachfront Jet Pool villa on the quieter sunrise side of the island. Thank you Hilmy, your villa choice for us was perfect.

VILLA

One of my concerns prior to booking was the fact that the standard beachfront villa was semi-detached. There was no need to worry. We did not hear any noise from our neighbours through the wall just once or twice when in the back courtyard- but nothing to worry us. The room was very nice; comfy king size bed, day bed (although a little too hard to relax on), plenty of space to spread out by the sink and just enough storage space for our clothes. It would have been nice to hide away our suitcases but there was no extra storage space. There are two showers, one under the eaves and one in the back courtyard which I loved. There is something quite special about showering outside under the palm trees. Just beware of the small step between the main room and the outside bathroom I must have fallen down it a dozen times!! There was a very nice Jacuzzi at the end of the courtyard and out the front we had a small daybed which we could cuddle up on and watch the rain when it came. The two comfortable sun loungers we had to move closer to the sea as there was no breeze on our deck. We also had a table and chairs on our deck where we had private lunch.

The fact that the island is quite large and has plenty of vegetation means that there is quite a bit of privacy between villas and they were not too close together. So even though the island was almost on full occupancy you would never know it.

Apparently the most popular side of the island is the sunset side. It definitely has the widest stretch of beach and you can watch the sunset but you have the InOcean Villas on the horizon. I preferred the sunrise side with a view of the open ocean and was much quieter.

SNORKELLING

Although you cannot access the house reef directly from the beach there were some nice coral gardens to investigate in the lagoon. On the sunset side you will find a nice area of coral and fish out by the two pontoons and another area where they are growing corals on frames between the concrete jetty and the right hand pontoon. There is also another nice area in front of the watersports centre with plenty of fish. If you ask in the dive centre they will show you a map of the island and point you in the right direction. Once a day they also have a free boat out to the house reef. They alternate between morning and afternoon trips and they also vary where on the house reef they take you, depending on conditions. You can also, as we did, take the hourly boat over to the I.O.V. You can leave your bag at reception and then swim out to the house reef from one of four sets of public steps along the main I.O.V. jetty. The reef is only about 20m out and had very little current so was lovely for a relaxing snorkel. Enter from one end of the jetty and snorkel up to the other end to get out. It took us about 45 minutes to 1 hour - very easy. The only thing that would improve this experience would be the availability of a public shower for afterwards. My suggestion would be to wear a watch whilst snorkelling and get back to the reception area in time for the ferry so you can go straight back to the island. We did not do this, but the time it took to snorkel the reef leisurely and wander back to reception was perfect to catch the next ferry.

FOOD

We were on half board so took our breakfast and evening meal at the main restaurant. Our waiter was Hasan who was very kind and looked after us well throughout our stay. There was plenty of space both inside (sand floor) and outside on the deck with plenty of shade in the morning to eat outside under the palms. Breakfast was buffet, with a choice of four of five juices, cut fresh fruit, breads and pastries, miso, congee, hot foods including sausages and bacon, and the highlight of breakfast, ‘Shafee’ on the egg station. Everyday he made me four or five French crepes with lime wedges and sugar. After a couple of days I didn’t even have to ask they just appeared…a big thank you Shafee!
The evening meal was again buffet style with the addition of the BBQ and hot dessert station. Every night was a different theme, everything was hot and the chefs were constantly seen checking and replacing any dish that was running low. There were a lot of Asian guests holidaying on the island and we found that they would tend to eat early and quickly. So at 1930 the restaurant would be very busy but by 2030 it was already starting to quieten down and we were frequently the last to finish at 2200.
One night we ate at Funa, the seafood restaurant. Guests on half board get a 50% discount on the meal but beware this does not apply to the lobster curry! We were not reminded of this before we ordered two, and were very shocked to be faced with the bill at check out. Ironically, this was probably our most disappointing meal as the others had far more flavour and texture.
We also had a couple of meals at Azurro, the I.O.V. restaurant. Again 50% discount on the meal. This is ‘a la carte’ Mediterranean although they have also introduced a Chinese version of the menu. We enjoyed eating outside on the deck under the stars. Again we were the last to finish with the majority of guests being Asian. For our final night’s meal at Azurro, Edy, the Indonesian chef prepared for us what can only be described as a banquet of Indonesian cuisine. It was amazing. Probably the tastiest meal we have had…ever! Thank you, Edy. If you get the chance, speak with Edy and I promise he will make something extra special for you. We did not finish this meal until midnight, so a big thank you to all the staff who kept the restaurant open just for us.

SPA

I had a couple of treatments in the spa. Prior to our arrival we had e-mailed the hotel and pre-booked our first treatment, a couples thai massage, excellent quality, brilliant thai therapists and a very nice atmosphere in the treatment room. Unfortunately my second treatment was spoiled a little by the noise coming from the kids club. The therapist did offer to speak to the staff running the club, but my recommendation would be to have a treatment room away from the front entrance area and hence away from the kids club.

STAFF

The staff at Velavaru without exception were brilliant. Everyone we met was friendly and helpful, always a smile and a hello as you walk past anyone from the gardeners, to porters to management. Our room boy, Yusef, kept our room clean and tidy twice a day. We only bumped into him once or twice as he was so discreet, cleaning the room only once we were out. Our waiter Hasan did a great job every meal time of locating us and was always willing to chat even though he was very busy. Dayan the F&B manager was always present at meal times. He was a really nice guy and could not do enough for us. An example of this; I told Dayan that mangosteens were my favourite fruit; they didn’t have any in stock. The supply ship arrived on Sunday and the mangosteens that were delivered he kept for us so that we had a plateful brought out for us every meal until they ran out. Dayan also arranged for my husband’s fish, caught night fishing, to be cooked for lunch the next day. We had jackfish sashimi and a huge bowl of ‘grouper garaudia’ (Maldivian soup). On another day after expressing our love of sashimi, Dayan infomed us that a large tuna had been caught that morning and that he would love to offer us tuna sashimi for lunch that day which was brought to our villa and set up on the front deck - yummy! Thank you Dayan you were superb.

A real treat was to meet up with some old friends from Banyan Tree Vabbinfaru who had been relocated, including Hana. She is based in the marine lab and is leading the company’s Indian Ocean Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) programme. It was with Hana that we were invited to attend and contribute towards the fundraising efforts of the local pre-school on the island of Meedhoo (the island just behind the IOV). We were one of only two couples to attend with the staff on our first full day. We had a great time meeting the locals from the island. The children were putting on little performances about the local culture in the playground. We were all invited to walk around and watch whilst Hana explained to us exactly what they were demonstrating. There were stalls selling food (short eats) and drinks (coconut water) and all the adults socialised. Then the heavens opened…the first rain in three months, it was just like a school fundraiser in England! An amazing cultural opportunity though. On another day, with Hilmy’s support, Hana kindly organised for us to spend some time at the secondary school on Meedhoo. Following a very warm welcome from the local councillors, my husband, being a head teacher in England was invited to speak to an assembly where we presented gifts to the school, and then spent the rest of the day learning about the school, working with the staff and learning with the children. After an hour I was taken back to Velavaru and we picked my husband up well after school had finished at 1700. What a brilliant day, and my husband is now developing a link between the two schools and hopes the staff and students will be able to speak to one another via Skype and e-mail.
We also spent time with Sherin from the front desk. A really sweet and bubbly local girl who loved to have a chat. She showed us round a beach front pool villa and behind the scenes. We saw the staff area where they grow herbs, salad and a pineapple - which even Sherin did not realise was there until Hana told us to go and have a look for it. Sherin also loaned my husband her laptop for 24 hours so that he could meet a deadline for work, thank you Sherin you were so kind. I also spent some time in the bar with Hana and Sherin, we did have a few giggles together!
Moosa was great from the dive centre, he took us out for all our snorkel trips and also advised us on the best places to snorkel in the lagoon and at the IOV.
A special mention to Rukman (bar manager). No sooner had we spoken with him to share that our favourite drink was a ginger - lemon cooler (made by Sarath, bar manager at Banyan Tree Vabbinfaru, to his own special recipe), he was on the phone to Sarath and by the evening we were drinking ginger - lemon coolers ‘a la Rukman’. On another evening I was not feeling so well and was unable to go to the bar for post dinner drinks. Instead Rukman insisted on bringing the drinks to me and checking on how I was feeling - service ‘above and beyond’, thank you Rukman.

INOCEAN VILLAS

As a special treat, Hilmy had arranged for us to spend our last day in a Premier InOcean villa, number 349 sunset side. We were greeted by Ziyad, IOV manager whom we had previously met at BT Vabbinfaru. It was lovely to be greeted by another familiar face. We were taken to our room by golf buggy and given a tour of the villa. WOW! It is just like the video you can watch on their website. The best bit was the location. Sunset facing is also reef facing. You can swim straight out to the reef (although only when the tide is high enough as at low tide the water is not quite deep enough) through the exit and then drift your way up to the other end of the villas. As we were only there for 20 hours we only managed one snorkel, but once we got back in to the jetty we were promptly met by a golf buggy with towels ready to whisk us back to our villa - now that is what I call service! We ate lunch on the top deck whist watching a pod of dolphins swim by…It was also nice to have alternatives for sunbathing. I tried out the sala at the end of the jetty (they had taken down the muslin drapes though), sun beds at the top of the pool, the trampoline area (where a nice breeze comes up from underneath you) and the sun beds on the top deck. There were huge sliding doors that could divide off the living room, bedroom and bathroom or be left open for that open plan feeling. It was nice at night to put the doors across as each living area had its own air conditioning system that could be set accordingly. For me the only disappointment was the bathroom. There is only one shower and this is inside (I missed showering under the palms). There isn’t a huge amount of space for storing clothes and nowhere separate to store your suitcases. The bath was very nice as you can open the windows wide whilst you bathe. BE WARNED, you must keep the curtains down whilst in the shower even though the glass is frosted else everyone can see you from the jetty especially at night when you would be back lit! This also applies to the curtains in the living area. The staff had many a tale to tell about guests leaving their curtains up at night whilst having intimate times with their partner not realising they were on full view to the world!

We ate breakfast at Azurro and although it was nice we missed the atmosphere and the selection of food available on the island. When we return to IOV we will take a boat over to the island each morning for breakfast.

Our seaplane was an hour late arriving so Hana took us to the bar for a final drink, and we enjoyed the company of the GM, Andrew. We were waved off from the jetty by Andrew, Ziyad, Hana and Sherin.

To avoid a long wait at the airport, Hilmy (who was on leave at the time of our departure) had organised for us to spend the rest of the day at Banyan Tree Vabbinfaru. Once back at Male we were swiftly whisked off to Vabbinfaru where we had the use of a villa until our departure at 2200. Just enough time for a late lunch, a walk round the island, sunbathing, a swim, two snorkels - one out to the Lotus and one out the front reef. With our wet kit dried off by the hotel, packing, dinner and a quick ginger-lemon cooler with Sarath in the bar…phew…what an amazing end to a brilliant, impromptu holiday; made special by the quality of the staff.

We already have our summer holiday booked to Vabbinfaru. Would we return to Velavaru?…in a heart beat. Velavaru comes highly recommended and we cannot thank the staff enough for making our holiday so special. We will be back!!

Bill and Rachel

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
9  Thank Bat_fish_babe
Reviewed May 9, 2011

This was our second visit to the Maldives; the first was some twelve years ago for our honeymoon but Angsana Velavaru is a holiday destination that surpassed all our expectations.

From the moment we were greeted at the airport and escorted to the resort’s comfortable sea plane lounge we knew we were in for a treat. Once showered and refreshed after the ten hour direct flight, the sea plane took off on its spectacular 40 minute journey and fond memories came flooding back. The Maldives are truly magical.
We chose Angsana Velavaru on the recommendation of a friend and by researching its reviews. This time around we had to consider the suitability of taking our two children aged six and eight.

Accommodation:
We opted for a beachfront villa with private pool set within a walled garden and so were torn between swimming in the warm shallow lagoon (perfect for the boys), or the cool palm shaded pool. We had plenty of room inside despite a huge king sized bed and extra facilities for the boys. The flat screen TV and entertainment system were appreciated but under-used. The outside space was complimented with large, luxuriously padded sun loungers and fabulous shower. Azeez, our villa attendant, was wonderfully friendly, helpful, efficient (not a grain of sand left anywhere in the villa after it had been cleaned despite our two young boys best efforts to get it everywhere!) and fun –he always made time to joke around with our boys!

Facilities and activities:
Top of the list is the island itself, with its gorgeous palm-fringed pristine white sand and crystal clear, warm azure sea. The abundance of marine life is truly amazing, even in the shallows and we could see an anemone, a beautiful clam, amazing fish and even a stingray just by looking over the edge of the jetty!
Such a wonderful location was complimented by the fabulous team of staff who without exception were incredibly friendly and attentive, they managed to anticipate and cater for our every need – nothing seemed to be too much trouble.
The villas are discreetly hidden amongst the palm trees but all have a palm fringed view of the sea to wake up to.
In spending time relaxing and enjoying each others company we were unable to sample all of the resort facilities or wade through every activity. Regretfully this included the cocktail lesson but we did indulge in the most fabulous massage at the truly superb Spa (thanks again King). This was very reasonably priced considering the exceptional service and ambiance.
The dive centre provided excellent complementary snorkeling gear for the duration of our stay and Ali gave lots of helpful advice on the best spots for the broad range of experience in our family; he was also very reassuring when trying scuba diving! Thanks to the kids club we were able to try the free house reef snorkeling trip to the ‘drop-off’; this is a ‘must’ once snorkeling confidently. What a buzz jumping off the boat into the big blue, bimbling along following the reef with the current while looking at the amazing sea life pointed out by the excellent guide and then being picked up again by the boat!
Windsurfing, kayaks and other beach activities were available but wasted on a family of loafers such as us!
The bar is ideally located for sundowners, complete with its lazy loungers, bean bags and chess set, not to mention the staff football match every day at dusk which our boys loved watching (while we sipped our cocktails!).
There is also a choice of excellent restaurants complimented by a fabulous team of attentive staff.

In General:
Any concern we may have had that this was a destination solely for couples was dispelled by the warmth and friendliness of the staff, most especially to our children. Our accommodation was private enough for us not to have imposed upon fellow guests.
We unreservedly recommend it!
A special thanks to the General Manager, Andrew who went out of his way to ensure our needs were met. Both he and his team of international ‘associates’ made a great holiday location all the more fabulous and memorable. We have named only a few members of a great team.
Our ten nights flew by; our sadness upon leaving was only tempered by the boys’ excitement upon re-boarding the sea plane!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank richardsfamily4
Reviewed May 7, 2011

My husband and I stayed here for my 40th for a week, but a week was'nt long enough, we didi'nt want to leave. From the minute you land in Male you are looked after, taken to the lounge to await the Seaplane which we waited for aroung half hour which was ok, there were guest who had been waiting longer who did'nt seem too happy. Anyway, the Seaplane is a adventure alone! Then you land and see this stunning Island.We were greated by the staff who are amazing, all thorugh out our stay they were great. We had a own a waiter who looked after us, who was very professional. We had our own Villa boy who brought us little gifts each evening which was a lovely touch.We stayed in a Beachview Villa with Jacuzzi. It was lovely and very clean. We had a mazing view and watched the sun go down each evening. The food is amazing, though I would recommend upgrading to the all inclusive package as the drinks and meals were very expensive. It's not like the normal all inclusive you usualy get. You are limited to certain things but I would still recomend it a the drinks and the food are all to the hoghest standard. We could'nt fault the staff at all, it seemed like they were all very happy to be working there and kind of like a big family. The spa is stunning and sooo relaxing, a must is a full body massage, it's nothing like what you would get here in England! Also is you like to Snorkel you will love the beach and the water her, to be honest you dont even need the snorkel and googles, the water is so clear you can see the fish just swimming around while your walking alomg the beach. Overall, as you can probly make out from my review, We Loved this resort and can't wait to reurn but for longer next time.

Room Tip: Tell the Hotel if it is for a special occasion.
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
The St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort
Beach Stay Maldives
Beach Stay Maldives
#1 of 2 in Meedhoo

Been to Angsana Velavaru? Share your experiences!