Hubby and I stayed at the In-Ocean Villa ("IOV") at Angsana Velavaru from 1 to 5 August. As our flight from Singapore arrived late in the night and seaplane services weren't available, we spent our first night in the Maldives at Angsana Ihuru on 31 July.
What we loved:
1) The Premier In-Ocean Villa (Room 348) - very tastefully designed with a thoughtful layout that accorded simply breathtaking views with almost complete privacy.
The inviting lap pool with a view blending into the ocean, the irresistible hammock strung neatly over the ocean, the romantic outdoor bed just right for yoga or massage therapies, etc....How often do you get all of these attributes in one single place?
Really really fabulous villa. We had packed lots of mosquito repellant but found no use for it at both the IOVs and on the main island itself.
2) The Spa - We were so glad we made advance bookings as the massages are very popular! We tried the spa at both the main island and IOV. The Javanese massage and Aryuvedic massage were so relaxing that we promptly fell straight asleep. Hubby loved the Thai-Swedish massage which gave his bad neck and shoulders much relief. We also enjoyed the Angsana massage on our last night, though we were probably still excited from our earlier catamaran doplhin sighting trip to be anywhere close to falling asleep.
3) The Activities - We tried the house reef snorkelling, kayaking, catamaran sailing. Had wonderful guides Ahmed and Suwai (I hope I spelt their names right!). It is always a great pleasure to meet people who have passion in what they do. I had a lovely exchange with Suwai on topics relating to sailing, diving, and all things related to the ocean and sea sports...Ahmed was a sweet sweet soul who would patiently explain why we should keep clear of certain areas while snorkelling (due to stronger currents, tide conditions etc.). We were really lucky to be able to sight a dolphin on our catamaran trip even though the waves weren't that calm that afternoon.
4) People watching - Hubby and I had quite a bit of fun guessing the nationality of the guests. There seemed to be more Caucasian guests at the main island and less of the IOV during our stay. There were many Chinese guests and a few Japanese, Korean, Taiwanese and Singaporean guests during our stay. I was very amused by the fashion parade from our Chinese neighbours. Long ankle-lengthed flowery or striped dresses, big floppy hats, flower accessories (most often than not in the hair) were the name of the day. I also lost count of the number of cardigans and high heeled pumps at the resort. We also spotted at least three girls totting around in their wedding gown splendor, while their (presumably) hubbies tried to lovingly capture the picture perfect shot.
What we think can be improved:
1) Ala Carte menu - As we chose not to be on full or half board, we were initially afraid that our meals were going to be very expensive. However, as it turned out, the charges were acceptable and portions really generous. Even the pricing of the non-alcoholic beverages were acceptable. On the average, we spent around USD60 per meal for the two of us. If you are small eaters, you can probably cut the bill further by sharing or being stricter on your drink choices. SO price wasn't an issue, but the selection was grating on us after the second day, as the ala carte menu was the same for both lunch and dinner. I probably fared better than Hubby as I like cheese/cream-based foods, but he has an aversion which meant many of the pizzas & pasta options were out.
At this point I must clarify that I enjoyed most of the food and drinks that we ordered (even the fish broth and stir fried vegetables from the Asian selection). It would however be more enjoyable if there was a wider selection, or better still, expand to different country's cuisine (e.g. Japanese, Thai..)
2) Frequency of ferry shuttle from IOV to main island: Apart from certain peak period, most of the ferry timings were in the interval of 1 hour. As we had planned certain activities on the main island (e.g. water sports, main island spa), we realized that we had to be really smart in selecting the right timing to book our sessions. It would have really been nice and hassle free if there is some mode of continuous water taxi transport from the IOV to main island. A small open top motor boat would work - donning a life jacket and feeling the spray of the ocean will definitely add to the sense of island adventure.
3) Cook-it-yourself Steamboat and BBQ Hotpot - It was an absolute waste of our time and USD200. The food cooked really slowly or didn't cook at all. The hotplate felt cold to the touch three quarters of the time. We had to change the machines twice but still it did not function properly. The machine was also poorly designed - there are better ones in Asia with the pot for the broth in the center and the bbq surrounding it. There were many times we felt we were biting into half cooked meats. In the end, we gave up and did not finish cooking the rest of the food. Hubby was really annoyed to be charged the full USD200 despite the in-room dining staff knowing that it did not work. Overall, I did enjoy the experience of the cook-it-yourself in the beautiful Maldives setting, but would have enjoyed it a lot better with better equipment. I would also suggest to increase the quantity of the condiments and chicken broth.
Conclusion: Angsana Velavaru is a fantabulous resort destination. We would definitely want to visit Maldives again, and it is highly likely we will still choose to stay in the IOV at Angsana Velavaru.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Travelocity, Prestigia, Booking.com, Sabre Hospitality Solutions, Ctrip TA, Agoda, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Angsana Velavaru reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Angsana Velavaru Hotel Haa Dhaalu Atoll
- Angsana Hotel Dhaalu Atoll
- Angsana Hotel Maldives Velavaru
- Angsana Velavaru Maldives/Haa Dhaalu Atoll