“Amazing but affordable honeymoon paradise”

Reethi Beach Resort
Ranked #7 of 15 Hotels in Baa Atoll
Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

Everything was fantastic. Stayed 8 days in Dec 2012 in a water villa. The resort is so laid back and staff so friendly. Food was amazing and the free honeymoon dinner was wonderful. It really was paradise and I wish I could go back again...maybe one day

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank Megans6

Reviewed September 3, 2013

We have just returned from a fantastic week at Reethi Beach which we visited after a trip to Sri Lanka, (Booked through www.elephantisland.com an excellent company) which was only a 1.5 hr flight away.
When we first started looking into a stay in the Maldives I saw a review about Reethi Beach which basically said "Just book it" how true those words turned out to be!
I don't think I can say anything about Reethi Beach that hasn't been said countless times before, everything was absolutely 1st class.
Meal Plan:
The biggest headache we had was deciding on which meal plan to choose, and as has been written in here on many occasions, it really is down to personal choice.
We found out through reviews on trip advisor about Reethi select, it isn't advertised anywhere it is a sort of 5* all inclusive, which you can upgrade to once you reach the resort. We thought long and hard about it, as on the face of things it seemed expensive at US$138 per person per day to upgrade from B&B. We came to the conclusion "do you know what, its our holiday, lets pay up front and not worry about a big bill at the end" We honestly believe that we made exactly the right decision, as it gave us so much freedom as to when and where to eat and drink. In its most basic form it entitles you to eat and drink what you want (there are a few exceptions) where you want and when you want. The buffet restaurant has certain opening times, for meals.
Prices for everything at Reethi are expensive, have a look on their website www.reethibeach.com all the menus for the al a carte restaurants are there, and note that there is an additional 18.8% service charge and tax to add to the final bill. It doesn't take long to add up. At the risk of coming across as some sort of alcoholic also take a glance at the price of drinks, everything from water to best wines and champagnes is top dollar. We love fine food and enjoy a drink or two, or three. We took all this into consideration before we travelled, and hence came to the decision that Reethi select was the one for us.
Accommodation:
We chose to stay in a Reethi Villa (the cheapest villa) working on the theory that you don't spend much time in it! We were allocated No. 158. I honestly cant fault it at all, and why would I want too either. It was plenty big enough for the two of us, situated directly on the beach (on the West side so lovely sunsets) it came equipped with everything you could need with the exception of tea and coffee making facilities. Ample wardrobe space and good air con + ceiling fan. The outside (half covered) bathroom was very large and adequately supplied, including a hairdryer. Reethi Villas do not come complete with a beach umbrella, as per the Deluxe Villas, this is not a problem as there is plenty of natural shade (trees). I did notice that villas numbered around 180 -190 were set well back from the beach, in the trees, with little or no sea view also they are very close to the Dive school, which is a busy hub, and I must admit personally I would have been disappointed if we had been allocated one of them.
Restaurants:
As mentioned before we do like a bit of fine dining and none of the three al a carte restaurants on the island were a let down, all the food was exceptional as was the service from the very attentive and knowledgeable staff. Absolutely top marks all round.
We generally had lunch around the pool, which was a perfect shady spot during the hot sunny days.
Trips:
We went on a trip to swim with Manta rays............Awesome, enough said.
We hired canoes and paddled over to a neighbouring deserted island, which was great fun, once we learnt how to go in a straight line!
The technical tour, which is a visit behind the scenes at Reethi beach, was well worth doing, its unbelievable how much goes on out of sight, in order to make your holiday an enjoyable one. This is the only time that you will be required to wear any footwear during your stay on the island.
I think I should end this review now as I could write pages about how wonderful Reethi Beach is, it was our first visit to the Maldives and it turned out to be exactly how we envisaged it. I wouldn't hesitate in recommending this resort to anyone, for us it was just paradise.
There is loads more to learn about Reethi Beach so if you want any further information please don't hesitate in contacting me.

Room Tip: Consider contacting Reethi Beach and asking not to be in rooms 180-190, unless of course you want to...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank potbellypig26
Reviewed September 2, 2013

I and my wife booked one week with this hotel directly from hotel's reservation system as "all inclusive". As soon as we arrived we were given a paper where restrictions of "all inclusive" were listed. Where you should/shouldn't eat, what you can/cannot drink as part of the package. So we figured out that it was not really "all inclusive". As the first thing, we were invited to have our lunch in the main restaurant. Food variety and quality were so poor but we didn't care as it was lunch. Then we went to the same retaurant for dinner and this time variety and quality was even lower. Well, we are not ordinary tourists who just eat to survive and don't care much about the rest. I admit we have high standards. However, what the hotel was offering was unable to meet even the lowest standards. Having said that, I should add that the restaurant was full with people who were enjoying this limited and poor buffet. Obviously, not everybody cares about the food to the same extent. Being unable to find a proper beef dish neither in lunch or dinner, we thought we should drink wine to overcome this disappointment. That was the time we searched and couldn't find any cheese on the buffet. The restaurant manager had an interesting excuse "we have theme nights". We interpreted it "having a cheap replica of Paella in the buffet makes it Spanish night and gives them the opportunity not to serve cheese in the buffet". Very interesting. Anyway, he was kind enough to bring us a small portion of moldy cheese after arguing with him for half an hour. Immediately after the dinner we went to the reception and changed our meal plan to bed and breakfast. For the rest of our stay we used other food outlets in the hotel. The food was much better but not a value for money. The portions are extremely small. But it was at least much better food than buffet. By the way, we figured out that there is another package called "reethi select" which is the real "all inclusive" where you can eat everywhere and drink everything. We were never told this during the reservation. If we had been told, then we would have known that our package was not real "all inclusive". Apart from food, hotel was quite good. Clean and tidy. Wifi is very poor, not available in most of the island. We stayed in water villas. That's why we didn't have any lizzard in our room unlike the ones staying in basic, beach and deluxe villas. For some strange reasons, those villas have open air bathroom which invites some unwanted animals into your villa! Thank God we didnt stay there. The only problem with water villa was the noise of water hitting the barriers and wind. But that's understandable. You cannot do anything about that. Before I finish, I have to add one very unpleasant experience. Due to a problem with her ticket, my wife couldn't leave Male with me. People in the reception told us they have a Reethi representative at Male airport which can help us with everything. So we trusted them. As expected, my wife had to stay in Male for an additional night. She was taken to a hotel arranged by this representative where she spent the night in fear and with insects and with a toilet which has never been cleaned to date. And she was charged for USD120 for this torture in advance. Apparently, that "trusted" representative of Reethi beach was not so "trustable". My wife spent the night without any sleep. I know this is not related to the hotel itself, but if you say "this is our representative. You can trust him" then you put your name at stake. Lessons learned and they lost credit. Beware.

Room Tip: Beware of lizzards and other unwanted guests if you are staying anything other than water villa.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Mete B
Reviewed September 2, 2013

I was lucky enough to enjoy The Reethi Beach Resort experience for two weeks in April 2013. It was my fourth time in The Maldives and the first time at Reethi Beach.

I fell in love with The Maldives when I first clapped eyes on it from about 30,000 feet from the window of a 747 about 20 years ago. The colours are so beautiful, they make you want to cry ... but I do have a tendency to wax over lyrical. My first experience was in a water bungalow on an island then known as Full Moon. More recently, Bandos in 2010 and Kurumathi in 2011. All great holidays and excellent resorts.

Reethi was recommended to us by friends who had been to The Maldives several times and to Reethi three times. We arrived by seaplane transfer from Male (45 minutes - a little longer if you pick up/drop off guests staying at another resort) with two other couples, both of whom had been to Reethi before and indeed at least 80% of our fellow guests we chatted to during our visit had all been there before. For one couple it was their eleventh visit - their children now return with their own families. So, given the amount of repeater guests, Reethi is clearly a hard act to follow.

Reethi Beach is beautifully understated. It is the perfect no news, no shoes escape but everything you could possibly want is ascetically tucked away, very close by. 2 artificial grass tennis courts, two fantastic indoor badminton courts and a state of the art gym for starters.

The accommodation is excellent. Standard and Dulux villas, all on the beach. We stayed in one of the water bungalows all of which had a view to die for. Turquoise Indian Ocean and a couple of uninhabited islands some way off. To be able to access the Indian Ocean from the ample decking of the water bungalows was just fantastic. On day two of our holiday, a pod of about 60 dolphins swam past whist we were sunbathing on the decking, an experience that would be repeated several times throughout our stay.

The Resort is never less than 90% full and has a capacity of around 112 guests. Like with all paradise Island resorts Reethi tends to attract couples, but families were staying on the Island too.

The food is as good as I have had anywhere in the world. The Rehendhi, is the main buffet restaurant, The Moodhu Bar and Restaurant is open 24 hours a day - which is elegantly perched at the end of a pontoon in the middle of the sea and there is also the Reethi Grill.

The beach, despite the constant battle against erosion that all the islands face is fantastic, especially the wide stretch from the water bungalows to the lagoon opposite the Sunset Bar. The best we have experienced in The Maldives ... the beach that is not the Sunset Bar; although we did spend some very memorable hours there!

As for the House Reef, we had seen many of the fish before on previous visits, but not in such huge numbers. It was a fantastic experience, with bat wings and angel fish swimming right up against your mask. Stingrays and Eagle rays and a 6 foot reef sharks were all in abundance.

I have experienced beach holidays in many parts of the world and in several resorts have been forced to get up at some ungodly hour to secure a sun lounger. Interestingly at Kuramarthi in 2011 they only had chairs on the beach, which were not particularly comfortable. At Reethi they provide each room with its own sunbeds and thatched umbrella on the beach.

The staff, mostly Maldevians and Indians were extremely helpful. Nothing was too much trouble. There are some Europeans on the Management and Reception staff, who are also intent on making sure that your holiday at Reethi will be the best you have ever had.

One tour we would urge you to do is the Technical Tour which is an extremely interesting and informative guided tour behind the scenes of the well oiled machine that is the Reethi Beach.

This was undoubtedly one if the best holiday destinations I have ever been to and very much want to be included on their repeater guest list before too much longer.

Room Tip: The water bungalows are just fabulous, but the rooms from the water bungalows to the Sunset Bar, wou...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Sally E
Reviewed September 1, 2013

This was the first time we have ever returned to the same place for a holiday. We first visited in 2010 with four other members of the family so thought it would be nice to experience the island just the two of us.

We flew out on 4th August for 2 weeks and I have to say I was not impressed with the BA flight, old plane, smelly blanket, poor service and headphones that did not work. The best bit was that at least it was direct and on time!

When we arrived at the seaplane terminal the weather had been horrific for a couple of days and they were behind getting people to their island, in fact one couple had been waiting since the previous day to get to their island (not Reethi) and this started to alarm me. I telephoned Nic on Reethi who said that a representative from the island would soon be with us and he would sort it out. She was true to her word and within 1 hour we were on our way, without our luggage and not sure if they could land but by this point we didn;t care, we had the essentials with us and we just wanted to get going. Our luggage arrived the following lunchtime.

The landing was a little bumpy at Reethi but at least we made it! We experienced the usual cold flannel and coconut drink and as we were repeaters we were handed out keys and told we could go!

We had beach villa 162 which was detached and right at the exit for the reef which was exactly as I had requested. We immediately went for a swim even though it was raining.

I wasn't prepared for what a wonderful feeling it would be to be back at Reethi Beach and it immediately felt like home as we knew where we were going and what to expect.

The reef has an abundance of fish life and we snorkelled at least twice a day and we were lucky enough to see the elusive turtle on 3 different occasions. We were disappointed with the coral but that was because we had recently been to an island that had amazing coral but we prefer fish and it is nice to be able to snorkel over the reef as well as along the drop off.

We booked half board as I don't drink enough to warrant AI and also we wanted some flexibility on lunch and this worked out perfectly for us and by the end of the holiday we realised we had made the right decision as it had been cheaper, we had lunch most days at the Moodhu or pool bar and had a few cocktails!

The food is amazing at all restaurants, we were particularly pleased that the beef wellington was still on the Grand buffet night. The prawns and the rib eye steak were to die for at the Reethi Grill and we also loved the tandoori pizza at lunchtime at the Moodhu.

The staff are by far the best we have experienced in our 5 trips to Maldives and indeed anywhere we have travelled. They are attentive but not intrusive, friendly, chatty, smiley and genuinely want to make your holiday as good as possible. Because of this we tipped so many people but each one deserved it!!! Look out for Vineeth, Rahul, Santhosh, Salim and Jotish, they all contributed to making our holiday perfect. Thanks to Nic as well for the advance assistance!!

I had my 40th birthday on the island and received a birthday card from the island and the roomboy decorated our bed with flowers which must have taken ages and I felt bad having to remove them so we could go to bed. I received a cake and a bottle of wine with dinner and the poor waiters had to sing but I could not have had a better day!

I could go on and on how lovely this place is and I am trying to arrange our return visit at the moment. If you are considering this island then stop dithering and book it!

My only gripe was regarding the trip to Hanifaru to swim with Mantas, their were no Mantas at Hanifaru and they had not seen any for a couple of weeks. Tom from the dive centre told me it was too early for them and the current needed to be from a different direction!! With this in mind I felt it was misleading to keep getting guests to pay for this trip and indeed this was continued to be offered throughout our holiday and not once did anyone see any at Hanifaru bay. We saw 2 swimming in open water which then meant a boatful of people with fins everywhere desperately trying to catch up with them, not pleasant!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank sammyann
Reviewed August 31, 2013

We stayed in the first two weeks of August in two standard rooms. Perfect weather lucky us! The dive school is as you'd expect and for experienced divers there is nothing negative whatsoever to worry about as per some early reviews. I managed to get ten dives in, not bad with three kids to entertain. Great dive sites and excellent corals, this was my eighth trip to the Maldives and My opinion is the diving here is on a par with most other places.

During the whole stay none of us got bitten even once by Mosquitos which is remarkable. Probably helped by a thriving lizard population and no cats. Other islands should learn from this example.

We booked bed and breakfast and it worked out about the same cost as full board except we ate in the grill most nights which served the best food we've had in the Maldives and the cost included a bottle of wine every night so much better off all things considered.

Our kids are 9,7 and 1 and all had a great time with most days spent by the pool, hello to Corby, Allison, Katherine and Jacob if you read this.

The island is stunning we'll definitely go back.

Well done to all and keep up the good work.

David, Alma, Joshua, Sana and Lyra.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank david l
Reviewed August 24, 2013

Having returned yesterday from our dream honeymoon at Reethi Beach Resort, we spent 10 days having all of our expectations surpassed!!!

We went on AI basis which we found perfect as it meant we could spend our money on the many excursions offered by the teams on the island rather than on food (any other meal plan could work out with an expensive bill at the end of your holiday as the drinks and food all have additional tax added as well - I'd recommend keeping a close eye on what you are "spending" on a daily basis because due to the cash free status of the island I imagine it might be easy to overspend without realising!), although we did sample Saima Garden twice (once complimentary as we were on honeymoon, the second we paid to go back as we loved the experience so much!) and had lunch in Moodhu one day as my husband wanted to try the
pizza! The food in the main restaurant was beyond the standard of any hotel buffet we have ever experienced (including 5*) and there is a rolling schedule of 14 different theme nights so that you never have the same type of buffet available to you twice during your holiday - this level of attention to detail is what makes Reethi Beach so special, they truly have the customers experience at the heart of the decisions they make and they are very proud of their top class service. Our waiter was Ahmed and we cannot speak highly enough of him - as well as ensuring we had everything we needed at meal times, he taught us some Maldivian phrases which we took great delight in using throughout the holiday! Asadh, the restaurant manager, was also fabulous - always on hand to make sure things were running smoothly and always welcomed us with a huge smile!

Entertainment in the evenings is limited to the main bar and is quite relaxed, they do quiz nights, discos and karaoke but its all fairly low key so if you want to just enjoy a drink and people watch in the bar, the entertainment won't take away from that pleasure! The bar staff in the main bar are absolutely brilliant - we spent every evening there having a great laugh with Mohamed, Hanifa, Anish, Vineeth, Rahul and Nazir and enjoyed the variety of cocktails that continually appeared in front of us as the one we were drinking were just about to be finished! Thomas, the Food and Beverage Asst Manager, was always visible at the many bars and restaurants across the island and seems well liked by his staff - he was fabulous to us and even played some table tennis with my husband! He also arranged for us to have the beachfront table on our second visit to Saima Garden which was absolutely wonderful!

My husband did some diving and we both did loads of snorkelling during our stay, we did the free guided snorkelling tour of the house reef as well as snorkelling on the house reef almost daily and we also did 3 snorkelling trips by boat - Coral Garden (stunning huge coral, best in Baa Atoll - where we found Nemo!), Turtle Reef (3 turtles spotted!) and Manta Ray Lagoon (snorkelled with 3 massive mantas and a pod of spinnaker dolphins!). If we had been staying an extra day we would definitely have done the snorkelling trip to Hanifuru Bay which is a Manta Ray hotspot and one of the places where you are most likely to see Whale Sharks...it's on our list to do for our next visit!

We did the Dolphin Safari by speedboat from Waterworld and because we didn't find any dolphins, we were invited back free of charge the following day to try again which was extremely successful! We spent about 40minutes with a huge group of dolphins just off of Reethi Beach - a fabulous experience! We also took a sea kayak and paddled around the island which was great fun.

We took advantage of the Coconut Spa offer on their Discovery Massage and had a wonderful afternoon being pampered by the beautiful Balinese women who run the spa, we had a couples massage in a room overlooking the sea - absolute perfection.

We did the Sunset Trip to the local uninhabited island which was magical and spent an hour on the island watching the sun set over the beautiful Indian Ocean...this memory will stay with us for a long time. The other "trip" that we cannot recommend enough is the Technical Tour - it was amazing to see what goes on behind the scenes in such an Eco-friendly resort...the centre of the island is kind of like a walled city which homes the c.270 staff and all of the activities which keep the island running so smoothly for guests, it's definitely worth seeing! How many resorts let you behind the scenes to see how things are done on a regular basis (twice per week)????

The only negative that we had for our whole holiday was nothing to do with Reethi Beach and everything to do with Maldivian Air Taxi/Trans Maldivian Airways - having landed at Male airport at 8.15am and got to the seaplane terminal by 9am, it was another 3hours before the seaplane actually took off which was very frustrating as the time on the departure board just kept moving back by 30mins every so often with no explanation from the staff for the delay. When we were eventually about to board we were informed that our luggage would follow us on a different seaplane in a few hours as the plane was full and therefore too heavy to take luggage as well - having been travelling at this point for about 22hours I was not impressed and so the seaplane staff gave us some bags to use and access to our cases to enable us to take wash bags, swimsuits etc with us.

Taking everything into account at Reethi Beach, we could not have had a more perfect honeymoon and we are already planning when we can return for another holiday in paradise. We are looking forward to seeing the friendly faces of the long serving members of staff - and to our complimentary "returners" dinner in the Saima Garden!

• Stayed: August 2013
#6 of 15 in Baa Atoll
Milaidhoo Island Maldives
Milaidhoo Island Maldives
#1 of 15 in Baa Atoll

Been to Reethi Beach Resort? Share your experiences!