“Fabulous honeymoon!:)”

Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in Baa Atoll
Moscow, Russia
“Fabulous honeymoon!:)”
Reviewed March 29, 2013

We have chosen Reethi beach for our honeymoon destination because it has many good reviews, it's far from Male that is good and it's surrounded by many deserted islands and sandbanks. This hotel offers reasonable prices in New Year period as well in comparison with other hotels in Maldives that may seem unaffordable in this period. We stayed in Reethi beach for 13 days (29.12 - 10.01.) It wasn't our first trip to Maldives. The first trip was to Lux Maldives (ex. Diva Maldives) that is in Ari Atoll in September 2011. The hotels are in different categories, Reethi Beach is 4 stars and Lux Maldives is 5 superior. I would like to mention that these islands are different in nature. Reethi beach has small palms, there are some toll palms but not so many as in Lux Maldives. I don't say that it is a disadvantage, but the nature is really different. The minus of Reethi beach is that the beautiful lagoon is closed with water villas and in order to admire it you should swim there but you can't lie and look at it because water villas will not allow you to do it if you don't live in water villa of course. (it is for lagoon lovers) As for the sand, here in Reethi Beach it may seem better than at Lux, it's softer, like powder. The island itself is wilder than Lux resort, it has more local Maldivian atmosphere. Lux resort is luxurious. In Reethi Beach the territory is quite plain, but it is clean. In Lux the territory is full of flouwers, even when you step to the island you feel aroma of flouwers, all the paths are immaculately clean and you see that a designer worked on all the decoration of the island. I think it's a difference of 4 and 5 stras resorts. As for water in Reethi Beach it is so pure, you can see reefs at depth. The Service in Reethi Beach is perfect, it is the same as at Lux. The food is amazing as well. We didn't eat at buffet, we always went to Moodhu Bar and Grill. It's fantastic. We are remembering grilled tuna and pizza since that time) As we were in New Year, we were absolutely surprised by the decoration of the island. All the paths and bars were lit up with lights. It was soo fabulous and romantic!The buffet on New Year was undescribable beautiful and It was full of delicacies like foie gras and etc. As for the room, we lived in Deluxe villa that seemed so small after the beach villa at Lux. Nevertheless, it was good and clean. Only one thing disturbed me on this island is that in our room there were cockroaches. In Lux there were some of them but here we saw them more often. Maybe it's because they don't fog the island every day as it is at Lux. For me it was one negative moment. As for sand bags on one side, yes, they spoil the view. Some villas have entrances on these sand bags, as there is no beach. Our deluxe villa was № 124 and it's a good location, good beach. What I also would like to mention, as it was our honeymoon we awaited decoration on the bed "happy honeymoon" upon the arrival but it wasn't there. We asked girls at reception to have it made but nothing was done. Anyway, we had beautiful decorations with flouwers of the bed as well free dinner at Saima Garden with a free bottle of wine and cake for my birthday. Everything was on a very high level.
The holiday was fantastic anyway, there are very good people, service, especially in Moodhu bar and Grill. On this trip to Maldives we managed to see more deserted islands and a sand bank that we reached by catamaran. We saw many dolphins. We have won a Gala dinner, it was the second price in lottery that was being played among all the visitors. The Gala dinner was on the deserted island with our private cooker, waiter and a man who made a bonfire for us. We had enourmous plates of dishes: meat, schrimps. It was very romantic and unforgettable! As we understood the service and food don't differ much at 4 and 5 resorts.
I wish everyone a fabulous vacation!!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Yana-05

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (512)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
Reviewed March 27, 2013

Yes the place is good, not very good and yes expensive, but that is i guess because this is maldives. there are loads of reviews on this site heaping a lots of praise so i won't go into those.
we stayed in the deluxe villa no. 112 for 5 nights and the room is towards one side of the end of the beach, not terribly the best position.
The room doesn't have tea/coffee making facility and i can't understand why. but then when you ask them they say they will provide one for rent @ 5 USD per day plus GST etc. Better bring one along if you have one at home, works out much cheaper.
The bathroom is nice but the commode doesn't have a bidet shower or a tap.
The room flooring tends to be a bit slippery.
Now coming to the service this was excellent. probably because most of the staff are from bangladesh and india and i guess they do not get to many guest from this part so they looked after us very well especially at the reethi grill, moodhu bar & breakfast area. in fact my 6 yr old kids got extremely friendly with all the staff.
Food is extremely expensive dinner would cost 40 to 50 USD water 1L about 4 USD.
We did the robinson picnic which was nice but the boat which took us should have a covering otherwise it is very uncomfortable even though the journey is short.
Snorkeling is great through most of the coral is dead but fish life is good. in fact the island for the robinson picnic was better for snorkeling.
The pool is very average. The gym is not free and very expensive.
If you ask me whether it is value for money i will probably say no, but yes, if you consider by maldives standards.
Whether i would recommend this to someone else probably yes, whether i would come back probably yes again, but only because of the helpful staff.

Room Tip: Rooms 120 to 130 have the best beach and closer to most facilities
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Cheshire
Reviewed March 23, 2013

I`ll start by saying that I have absolutely no connections to Reethi Beach resort, Kuoni or Emirates and that my review is based purely on our recent holiday there (2nd March - 16th March) and is as ever what I consider to be a balanced opinion. I would also say that this was our 4th visit to the Maldives and can therefore comment using previous experiences as a benchmark.

The first point I would make has absolutely nothing to do with Reethi Beach but is directed toward passport control at Male airport which to say the least was painful, we were the only aircraft in and it took over an hour of queing just to be processed.

The seaplane transfer was all very organised and offered some fantastic views of the various atolls as we flew north to Reethi Beach.

On arrival the welcome was rather understated but informative although the German girls at reception could have been a little more focused on their job.

Some of the rooms werent ready however we had booked a Deluxe Villa and our room (106) was. It was very clean, spacious and we loved the indoor/outdoor bathroom. The villa was serviced twice a day to a high standard, beach towels changed daily, good working fridge and excellent air conditioning. With regard to location our room benefited from plenty of shade which made relaxing on the Maldivian swing a pleasure however we didnt have direct access to the beach as a result of some pretty serious erosion. I fully apprecaite the fragile ecostructure of the Maldives but surely there has to be a more sympathetic way of preserving the island rather than build very basic, ugly and ineffective brick walls covered with concrete and huge sandbags which were reminiscent of the Normandy beaches. Over our 2 week stay we saw with our own eyes the rate at which the beach is dissapearing as a sizeable area was simply washed into the sea.

The beach itself was beautiful and was certainly bigger in area than other parts of the island. Our allocated sunbeds and umbrella were conveniently situated for the Beach Bar (open from 11am until 8pm) where Benny looked after us very well and from where you can sit, relax and watch the most fabulous sunsets.

This also proved to be a vantage point for seeing Dolphins which we did on numerous occasions and at some point during the second week saw a pod in excess of 100 at around 08:30 which was a truly memorable sight.

The snorkelling and house reef is excellent, however in common with other islands the coral has been bleached and is dying. We also found that there was a very strong current on our side of the island and should not be underestimated if you are not a strong swimmer.

On the subject of accommodation I would make a comment with regard to the water bungalows in that the space on the beach given over to their allocated sunbeds and umbrellas was extremely cramped and had I paid for a water bungalow would have been very dissapointed with this.

We stayed on a B&B basis as we prefered the choice of restaurants rather than having to eat in the same one very night. The main restaurant was a little dark and lacking in atmosphere and dinner was buffet style every night which could be a little repetitive. Breakfast was served here every day (07:30 - 10:00) which was more than adequate, an eclectic mix of foods coupled with excellent service. I am amazed when I read negative comments about the quality of the sausages and bacon, what on earth do people expect from a Muslim country and on a tiny island where everything has to be brought in? If they want a full English perhaps they`d be better of staying at home or going to Benidorm!

There are other options for dining in the evening including the Reethi Grill and Moodhu Bar.

Having read very positive reports before we went, the Reethi Grill was our first choice to try. Now I can only speak from personal expereince but we were very dissapointed not in the quality of the food but the service. We ordered our meal and it took 1 hour 20 mins for a pizza and grilled chicken with pasta which is just not acceptable. Other diners were coming in, ordering, having their meals and going whilst we were still waiting for ours. At one point the waiter apologised for the delay and said that our food would be ready in a couple of minutes. Some 20 minutes later the chef came to our table and asked how the food was, my wife and I looked at each other, looked at the chef and said "What food, we havent had it yet". The chef ran back into the kitchen and very soon afterwards 2 lukewarm plates of food arrived for which we had the pleasure of paying $60!

Believe me when I say we are not ones to complain but in this instance I felt we had little option, I dont pay £6,000 for a holiday +, $60 for dinner to wait for 1 hour and 20 minutes for a pizza and grilled chicken and pasta. We made our feelings known at reception but this just seemed to go right over their heads so in the morning we contacted our Kuoni rep. Now I dont know what she did or said but the next night when we went for dinner in the Moodhu Bar the staff were all over us like a rash complete with complimentary bottle of wine.

The Moodhu Bar was our prefered restaurant after that for location, service, choice and quality of food which was excellent. Faisal looked after us so well, such a kind and gentle young man.

We chose Reethi Beach to celebrate our 25th Wedding Anniversary and the hotel invited us to a enjoy a complimentary meal in the Samia Garden on the day which we accepted and was of a very good standard complimented by excellent service.

We had planned to make more use of the sports complex, gym, tennis courts etc but were rather dissapointed to find you had to pay extra for everything, hire of equipment etc which we didnt think represented value for money.

One point that I didnt see mentioned in previous reviews is that Reethi operates on its own time which is +1 hour from Male time making it + 6 hours ahead of GMT.

One good tip would be to take a torch, althought the paths are lit of a nightime there are parts which are a little dark.

On the subject of paths, although sand covers everything on Reethi, many of the interior pathways are concrete underneath and a little hard on the feet, you may opt for sandals/flip flops.

There is limited Wi-Fi on the island, best picked up in reception. It's great to be able to keep in touch, but I think it's rather sad that when we first visited the Maldives 11 years ago, the motto was " No shoes, no news". It's all changed now!

There is evening entertainment in the main bar, but it is repeated on a weekly basis with an emphasis on sales. We found the main bar to be lacking in atmosphere.

Overall, we did enjoy our holiday after all its impossible not to in the Maldives and although my review might be interpreted as being on the negative side in places, there are just little things that if done better or improved upon would have increased our satisfaction.

I said at the beginning that I would draw upon previous experiences of the Maldives and Reethi Beach didn't quite do it for us.

Personally, I don't think it represents value for money, would we return to the Maldives? Yes, would we return to Reethi Beach? No.

Room Tip: If you have a Deluxe Villa, try to go for 120 upwards, or you may experience problems with the dissa...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank DeuceCheshire
Hemel Hempstead, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 21, 2013

We are lucky enough to get away often but this was our first trip to Maldives. Great holiday and loved it. We had a water villa which was great some of the other villas didn't look as well positioned.Only a couple minor negatives -- the welcome was a bit low key including a 15min wait for boat pick up from sea plane and the charging structure --depending which option you pick -- gets a little complex. Its a very sociable resort and everyone we met seemed to be really enjoying themselves --you can have complete peace and quiet or meet guests for beers/cocktails --whichever you prefer

Room Tip: if in a water villa room nos 201 t0 207 tend to get best sunset --we were in 216 which is in the mid...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank steven b
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 19, 2013

We recently spent 10 days in Reethi Beach Resort on our honeymoon. The resort was recommended to us by a friend who is a travel agent and we would certainly recommend it to other honeymooners! From the moment we arrived it was absolutely perfect. We stayed in a water villa, which was immaculately clean with stunning views and very comfortable. The staff at the resort were all very friendly and helpful, learning our usual drink orders and bringing them over when they saw us arrive. I couldn't fault the staff our entire trip, they went out of their way to ensure we were happy.

We opted for all-inclusive and didn't regret this as we definitely got our money's worth with food and drinks and it allowed us the freedom to indulge without worrying about cost. We had initially planned to pay for dinner in one or two restaurants just to try different places whilst there, but the food in the main restaurant was so good that we didn't bother. I think only very picky eaters would struggle with the food in the main restaurant, as there is plenty of variety and we didn't get bored even though we stayed over a week. We did have a meal in the Saima Garden (included because it was our honeymoon) and would definitely recommend this. The meal was served in a candlelit tent on the beach and was very romantic and private, with fresh fish and seafood cooked to order.

We spent most of our time at the resort snorkelling and diving, plus one or two visits to the Spa. The treatments at the Spa aren't cheap but are very pleasant and a lovely luxury. We would also recommend the kayak trip to a private island, we had a lovely day exploring 'our' island and the hotel even provided a picnic lunch to take with us!

Overall this trip was wonderful and there really wasn't anything we would have changed. If you're in two minds then definitely book this resort, you won't regret it!

Room Tip: The water villas are expensive but worth it for the wonderful views; they were also being refurbishe...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank medstudent05
Reviewed March 18, 2013 via mobile

This was our first visit and had the most amazing honeymoon!! We stayed in a water villa which was beautiful especially watching the sunset and hearing the crashing waves beneath you. It was a scene of clear, pale blue waters and brightly coloured fish surrounded by white sand and palm trees.
The whole experience from arriving on a sea plane and being greeted on the island with a coconut drink was lovely. The island is considered small but its amazing how many rooms and restaurants are on it.

Being all inclusive I think is the best way to visit this island as everything is very expensive. Thankfully we were as I wouldn't want to imagine how much our bill would have been as the small things we bought really added up.
I would advise anyway who wants to snorkel to take it with you before you go as its expensive to hire everyday.
Watching the fish being fed is a must. This crazy man walks into the sea and feeds the fish at 6pm every day and its amazing what you see from various coloured fish, baby sharks and sting rays.

Food was always good with lots of variety. The waiters were always friendly and some in particular really went the extra mile to look after us.

We were given a complementary dinner on the beach which was very romantic so make sure you mention if your celebrating something special.

Can't wait to visit again some time........

• Stayed January 2013
4 Thank Xloulabellx
Saturn
Reviewed March 18, 2013

We returned from Reethi Beach on the 14th March 2013.We had deluxe villa 105 which was very nice and very clean but having been to the Maldives 7 times we were very disappointed about the location of our bungalow.Normally we step out of our room onto the sand and then into the water.At Reethi we had to move down the beach to our sun loungers carrying our lounger pads,towels and anything else we wanted to take which after a while was a chore.Having paid over £7,000.00 for the holiday I thought it was a bit much to be expected to do this.We were told the sun loungers could be put in front of our bungalow but there were only big sand bags and bits of wood shoring the beach up.We do appreciate the Maldives are disappearing but surely a better answer could be found instead of spoiling its natural beauty.
The food is only average on the AI option.There is plenty of choice and the food is varied but not the best quality.The wine is the best we have ever had in the Maldives.Many thanks to Yasir our waiter.He did an excellent job.
Reethi is not a "pretty" island compared to other islands we have visited but the staff are all hard working and like all other islands are very friendly and can't do enough to please you.
We saw dolphins five times right on the edge of the water which was quite amazing and I think for me made my holiday as in some areas it was sadly lacking.
We don't think we would go back to Reethi as we have visited alot nicer islands for less money.

Room Tip: Deluxe villas from about 120 upwards were better positioned.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Dhunikolhu Island
Dusit Thani Maldives
Dusit Thani Maldives
#4 of 14 in Baa Atoll

Been to Reethi Beach Resort? Share your experiences!