“GREAT vacation”

Reethi Beach Resort
Ranked #7 of 15 Hotels in Baa Atoll
Reviewed October 6, 2012

We stayed here for 8 nights and 7 whole days in September 2012. The island is filled with Germans and the other main nationality was British.

The watervilla that we stayed in was awesome. It was very spacious and the view was great. Housekeeping stopped by twice a day and made sure that there was not too much sand in the villa. The bathroom was very big as well and due to the fact that the watervilla's are so private, you had the feeling that you were taking a shower in the middle of the ocean.

We stayed on half board basis (breakfast and diner) but would definitely stay on B&B next time. During the morning it was relatively peaceful in the main restaurant and during the lunch it was also ok. It was at night when we got the feeling that it was a feeding barn. For some people this is not a problem, but it didn't work for us. We changed our half board to breakfast and lunch in stead of breakfast and dinner and that was a great choice. We got to try the different restaurants on the island and they were really good and many many choices. Since the buffet had a lot of options during breakfast, I think lunch can be skipped. It is possible to order snacks or a small lunch if really necessary. With the cocktails costing US$ 9, it was very doable to not go all inclusive.

The island was very nice and easy to walk around. The house reef is definitely worth checking out when snorkeling. The dive center was great with good equipment and the instructors knew what they were doing. We were lucky enough to spot a whale shark after a dive and we got to swim with it for 20-30 minutes. What an experience! Our trip to Hanifaru Bay was very memorable as well since there were over 50 (!!!) Mantas there. We were so incredibly lucky!

I would go back if I had the chance!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Danya E
There are newer reviews for Reethi Beach Resort

Reviewed October 5, 2012

Visited Reethi for two weeks at the end of September 2012, this being our third trip here. In short, it just gets better and better.
We did make a brief comment before we left that this time would probably be our last visit to Reethi as surely 3 times is enough to the same island.....within 48 hours we had both agreed it wouldn't be the last time!
As before, I'll deal with the few negatives.....Reethi currently is experiencing a big problem with mossies and they are fogging the island repeatedly and spraying into the treetops. Just make sure you take plenty of protection and use it copiously particularly on your feet and exposed legs. The worst places we found were the jungle bar and main reception. I'm sure that it's only a temporary problem however.
The only other negative I can find really is the lack of fish at breakfast. Smoked reef fish was available on Sundays but other than that, nothing. Not even fish curry. There was always a vegetable curry and dhal style is fine but kidney beans??? As we were B&B and didn't use the main buffet restaurant for lunch or dinner, I don't know about the fish situation at other meal times.
The positives however, far outweigh the negatives. Reethi is a lovely island with a soft, sandy beach all the way round the island....I just love that huge sandbank by the watersports centre and would happily pitch a tent for two weeks right there! Yes there are some sandbags but mostly the giant ones that look like pillow shaped rocks. There was an extensive programme going on whilst we were there to protect the island on the beach to the right of the watervilla walkway. It was actually quite interesting to watch the work going on and the sand being pumped from the sea about 100 yards off the water villas. We all know that it's essential work and does not detract too much from the natural beauty of the island.
The Reethi Grill and the Moodhu restaurants were where we had all of our meals and the menus at both are still fantastic. We did find that both restaurants were much busier than we'd seen previously and we felt happier booking as we left the previous night. As I've said before, the boti kebabs are great as is the tandoori chicken whilst Mrs John consumed far too much lobster, mainly in the form of surf and turf dishes....lobster tail, fillet steak and large prawns, all served with lobster fettucine and choice of potatoes/veg....delicious. We had one meal in the Saima Garden which is complimentary for returning guests. This also was excellent in a peaceful setting....perhaps we should have eaten here more often.
Just one comment on the drinks....MissFitts made a comment in her review a few weeks back about the house wines and suggested the rose was poison. I think she got confused with the white as the rose and the red were both perfectly drinkable, particularly the rose served with ice....just a perfect chilled beverage for a hot day in the sun. There is also an extensive wine list available and our favourite this time round was the NZ Pinot Noir along with the sparkling Kraemer Brut which we enjoyed on the one evening we had room service. It went down perfectly with our pizza and chips!!!
Moving on to other points...it does make me very annoyed when people blatantly dis-regard the laws, customs and do's and don'ts of the country they are visiting. I refer of course to the topless sunbathing (room 141, yes you) and the goon in 229 who insisted on tying himself to a rubber ring, tying the rubber ring to his water villa and sitting on top of the coral protruding from the sea. In fairness to the island management they can hardly don a policemans helmet and go issuing tickets....it's down to self regulation and there are no excuses for not knowing....it's in the literature in all the rooms and I'm delighted to say that Reethi have installed a big frame just beside reception which contains hanging signs saying "do not stand on the corals" in 12 different languages.
Finally, thanks and summaries.....many thanks to Denise and the management team for our room and the returning guest dinner, thanks to all the restaurant staff including Babatosh and Binoy, the bar staff particularly Anish, Hanifa, Monir (aka Penfold!!!) Janaka and last but not least, the wonderful Salim. Anish has a wonderful phrase about his family...."I have 2 babies, one inside and one outside"!!!
Reethi is a great island which is probably as close to the original Maldives as you are likely to find today. No posh fancy buildings (see my review of the day trip we organised to Anantara Kihavah for our 35th wedding anniversary), no "sunshine butlers" prepared to squirt sun cream on you at the click of your fingers or bring you chilled pineapple on a stick on demand. Just good old fashioned friendly service in gorgeous, natural surroundings. The price is pitched just right to guarantee an almost constant 90%+ occupancy rate with a high level of returning guests who get suitably rewarded for going back. Once again, many thanks to all for ensuring we had a great time.

Will we be back? We're already looking at prices!

John

PS....if Jon and Kaz read this, pm me and we'll let you know when we're going again.

Room Tip: All rooms are good rooms at Reethi.
15  Thank suffolk-john
Reviewed October 2, 2012

This place is a must if you visit the Maldives. I have not been to any other location in the Maldives, so I have nothing to compare it to, but everything was absolutely wonderful. From the arrival at the airport, to the seaplane, to the arrival at the resort, the personally escorted walk to my room (water villa), to the people that work there, the food, to everything! It was a great experience.

I stayed at Water Villa 209. The water villa was quite spacious and clean with updated amenities. This is a perfect location because there is a small sand bar just down the ladder whereas some of the other water villas are on a little bit of a rocky bottom. The view from the deck in beautiful. Very secluded. You feel like you are alone in paradise. Very quiet as well which was important to me.

The food is great with different selections every day for lunch and dinner. I only made it to breakfast onces as I decided to sleep in all the other days. Breakfast was good as well. I choose the all inclusive which for me, was perfect. I didn't want to worry about what I was spending on food or at the bar. I didn't eat at any of the cook to order restaurants; only at the main buffet.

The Hanifaru snorkel trip is a must. There weren't any Manta Rays at Hanifaru Bay, but we stopped at two different locations where there were at least 5 or 6 Mantas swimming around us at both locations. This was amazing! I had my underwater camera and took some pictures and videos. The staff on the boat were fantastic (the only name I remember was Thomas).

I went on two dives. One was the house reef dive with Monde and the other was a single boat dive with Khinda. Both dives were good and the guides were very experienced.

The 11:00am daily free snorkel trip was good as well. I forget his name, but the guide was very enthusiastic and knowledgeable.

I had one Balinese massage at the Coconut Spa which was very relaxing. I didn't stay out much past dinner because by that time I was tired and walked back to my water villa to get a good nights sleep to be ready for the next days activities.

There were a lot of couples and a few families from different parts of the world, but everybody was there on holiday and very nice. I think I may have been the only solo traveler there!

My only negative point would be the gym. The treadmills and ellitpical machines were fine, but not much on the selection of weights. Only one machine and those types of dumbells that have settings so you turn it to the amount of weight and when you pick them up, they are very bulky and didn't really work (the little weights would fall off).

I would 100% recommend this resort to anybody.....and yes.....it is true......you really don't need shoes from the moment you step on the island, to the moment you leave!

Room Tip: The Hanifaru snorkel trip is a must!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank USAsolotraveler
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Wife and I just come back from 12 nights at RBR staying in water Villa 210. I will break this down into sections below.

Water Villa - Great choice for us , clean , comfortable and great views. cleaned more than once a day ! Glad we choose the Water Villas.
Board Option - We went all inclusive, Neither wife nor are big drinkers so didnt take advantage as much as other couples we met , but even so I reckon it was still the right option to take. The Main restaurant food was brilliant, there is so much choice that I am sure that you will find something you really enjoy. If you are AI then you get a 15% discount and at the other restaurants (drinks still AI if eating) , we went to the Moodhu restaurant one evening and had drinks and dinner/desert, this cost 75 US dollars, the food was fantastic but decided that we could not justify this when the food at the main restaurant was so good and varied, i guess your paying for the table service and locations as much as anything else.
Snorkelling - This was great , if like my wife you havent snorkelled before and are vary wary of the fish etc, they do a 1 to 1 snorkelling introduction when they take you out get you used to using the mask / snorkel and then take you out over the reef... I never thought my wife would be confident enough to do this but she did and from then on she came out with me . This cost around 60 US dollars but was worth it.
There are so many fish you will love it , parts of the coral reef were nice aswell... not ALL dead.. We saw sting rays, all types of fish, turtles , moray eels etc.... fantastic.
We also took a snorkelling trip to snorkel with Manta Rays, we were lucky and saw about 20 , they come right up to you if your lucky...we were.. again fantastic, this trip cost 62 US dollars each... well worth the experience.
Catermarans - we went out on the catermaran , this was great especially when the wind picked up and found ourselves speeding along on a single hull !! , note dont take your room key with you (as I did) as like me you might find you havent got it when you get back in ...doohh!
Other excursions - we did the island sunset trip, this was OK but didnt get a proper sunset but still worth going as it is included in All inclusive. Also did the half day island trip to see the other inhabited islands and how the locals live etc.. once again this was OK and worth going as it is included in the All inclusive option. Note take mosquito repellant if your the sort of person they like to bite !
Weather - first 7 days were overcast and rainy , this sounds worse than what it was, there was still plenty of time in between clouds and occasional storm to get a good tan, and infact it was nice to have some cloud cover as we found out for the last 5 days when the weather turned clear.. Climate is fantastic, morning , noon and night.

Overall - Great experience , great resort, great service , great food. if we were to change things at all we would stay for 5-6 nights and make it a 2 center holiday with another week elsewhere.

Hope this helps.

5  Thank BoneyM123
Reviewed September 29, 2012

We went on a 2 week honeymoon to RBR. From start to finish it was amazing, such a beautiful place! No need for shoes (apart from when the decking is hot)
We went all inclusive as we don't like to bother about money on holiday so it was a good choice for us, but I can see why some would go HB or RO. We also tried out all the other restaurants which were all amazing. Food and drink was so nice and lots to choose from (and I'm quite a picky person)
We stayed in a water villa which was sooo dreamy with such a nice view and cleaned perfectly.
All the staff were so nice and friendly throughout our stay.
We went for a couples massage at the spa, snorkelling every day (most of the coral is dead but looooads of colourful fish) and lots of different entertainment in the main bar at nights.
Anyway the place is gorgeous and we had a blast staying there!

Only tip I would have is to take a torch for walking back at night! Sounds silly but sometimes we really wished we'd taken one as it gets really dark.

5  Thank DPeek
Reviewed September 27, 2012

We returned to RBR in 2012 for the second time having enjoyed our stay here in 2010. The standards at the resort are very high and have been maintained carefully by the dedicated team. Lovely food and excellent accommodation again.
We particularly enjoyed the scuba diving with Explorers - lots of variety and great guides.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Jim A
Reviewed September 27, 2012

Me and my wife have not long got back from Reethi Beach from our honeymoon and we can only say you have to go and experience this island for yourself. The journey we had getting there was arduous to say the least lasting 15 hours so as soon as we stepped foot on Reethi we knew we had made the right choice. It's a very chilled out island where you walk round in bare feet, the food is superb and the service is so good. I want to mention Rahul in the bar who looked after us so well and his smile and personality we will miss, junaid in the restaurant and Mohammed at the sunset beach bar but every member of staff works so hard to make this isand as special as it is. All i can say is if you are thinking of going go and see for yourself how special it is!

3  Thank paulallen197615
#6 of 15 in Baa Atoll
Adaaran Select Meedhupparu
Adaaran Select Meedhupparu
#1 of 1 in Meedhupparu Island

Been to Reethi Beach Resort? Share your experiences!