“Royal experience” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Baa Atoll
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
“Royal experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2013

This is the first time for us in Maldives, it took a while to decide the resort to visit and now I’m very very happy with my decision, Dusit Thani Raised the bar in all aspects.
We were staying in an over water beach villa with a pool, the room is spacious, clean at all times to perfection, pool was always taken care of, never found any signs of dirt or miss care.
Beach was very clean, one of the most beautiful white sand beaches I’ve ever stepped foot at, ocean from villa access so tempting, turquoise color water with very close reef for snorkeling activities. This was my first time to do snorkeling, I did it the first day I arrived with the diving center in the resort and they gave me the equipment to use for my stay, the dive center was very helpful, my wife doesn’t know how to swim but after seeing the sights in my first snorkeling experiment I wanted her to enjoy it as well, they offered to help and managed to provide us with a private guide in order to do so.
Fitness room was very clean and neat, didn’t expect to find a fitness studio in this level at a resort.
Food was amazing, read a lot of reviews about quality of food in Maldives resort and was a bit concerned about the subject but was really amazed with the quality I found, I tried all restaurants in the resort and they all met my expectation.

The service all around the resort in all areas was above expectations from the lobby to the restaurants.
Special thanks to our Butler “Nahed” for the exceptional service and to the remaining staff for the hard effort and hospitality.

This was my first time and definitely not be my last.
Thanks Dusit Thani for an amazing escape.

1 Thank Faisal3270
DusitThaniMaldives, General Manager at Dusit Thani Maldives, responded to this review, December 28, 2013
Cordial greetings from Mudhdhoo Island. We are humbled that you recognised our efforts to create an unforgettable experience. On behalf of the team, I am thrilled that your research made you decide to choose Dusit Thani Maldives, and that you found all the right ‘ingredients’ for a perfect Maldivian holiday right in our little island!

Thank you for taking time to share your experience with us. I have passed on your kind comments to Nahed and the rest of our team. We’re all definitely looking forward to welcoming you back again.

Desmond Hatton

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2013

I have been contemplating on writing this review for a few days now because I do in fact have quite a lot to say about our honeymoon at Dusit Thani Maldives. There was no advanced planning for this honeymoon trip. We started talking about it on Friday, made a last minute decision to book the flights and the hotel on Saturday, and we took off on the following Monday.

The moment we arrived at Male airport, a Dusit Thani employee was waiting for us at the exit. He took our luggage and brought us to their Dusit welcome lounge. Their lounge was very comfortable and the service staff was very nice and eager to offer us fresh juice and snacks. Our 30-minute seaplane ride was quite pleasant especially since we were the first stop. The other passengers on the plane were headed to a different hotel. Anyhow, once our seaplane safely landed, we were immediately greeted by our butler, Khun Serm on the boat. Then when we got off the boat, at least 5 other staff were there to greet us a the jetty with a warm "wai" welcome, a touch of Thai hospitality. On this remote little island, Dusit Thani has somehow managed to embrace the true Thai hospitality in their full range of services, and they made us feel so special and truly at home through out our stay.

Our water villa was impeccable. We love the contemporary decor of the room. The villa layout was perfectly designed and we felt that none of the 120 sqm was wasted on any unused space. If you stay in a water villa, I would suggest that you wear sandals or slippers when you are out on the balcony. I got a wooden splinter stuck in the ball of my foot. It was nothing serious but can be a bit annoying. We didn't use the private pool as much. There was really no point as the clear blue waters of the Indian ocean were right below our villa. I woke up early one morning and saw a family of squids/cuttlefish passing through. When the tide was high, we could just jump off and snorkel right of our deck. Snorkeling right off the deck of your water villa is only recommended when the tide is high enough. Otherwise, you could get injured or damage the house reef. You could just look at the water level or check with the dive center to be sure. Talking about their house reef - it's AMAZING! We had never experienced anything like it. My husband and I totally lost track of time during our first snorkel. We saw millions of fish and we even came across a young sea turtle who was eating his lunch around coral reef.

We also went on a lucky dolphin cruise and we did get very lucky!!! We saw several groups of the spinner dolphins. Many were jumping into the air, spinning and leaping out of the water. It was an incredible experience. (Note: The cost per person was around 100 USD). There were many activities for us to do on the island. My husband wanted to try windsurfing but unfortunately, the wind wasn't strong enough. Well, we went kayaking instead and had a great time :).

The food at Dusit Thani Maldives overall was delicious! Breakfast selection though some may find a bit limited, had everything we needed to feel right at home. While I went straight to the egg station, my husband opted of beef noodle to start off his day. We didn't have any lunch while on the island. It's not that we were trying to save money (though it did help) but we would be busy doing other activities during the day like snorkeling and kayaking. By the time we were done every day, it would already by 3pm or 4pm.

We had dinners at the Benjarong and I must say that it was the best Panang Nua I have ever had. The Staff at Benjarong made us feel right at home. They were not only friendly but attentive especially Khun Pu. She made sure we had everything we needed to feel comfortable. We ended up taking for quite sometime and learned that she had been with Dusit Thani for over 25 years. When Khun Pu found out that I needed a bandage, she went out to the doctor office right away to get plenty (more than enough) of bandages for me. When we were leaving the restaurant, it was very dark and we weren't sure of which way to take back to our villa. (Note: although it only takes about 15 minutes to go around the island, when it's dark in the evening, it could get a bit confusing to go around.) , she was very concerned about us getting back to our villa safely. We have no idea whether these sorts of kind gestures are part of their training book or was it just K.Pu's being a caring person, but we were without a doubt feeling grateful for her kind gestures.

On our last night, I surprised my husband with a private honeymoon dinner setup on the beach with the help of K. Serm, our butler. She went out of her way to help organize it for me and the setup was more beautiful than I imagined. We even saw a shooting star. Everything was just perfect and it was the best way to end our special holiday.

Our trip to Dusit Thani Maldives was simply the most magical and amazing holiday we have had. We hope to visit them again real soon!

5 Thank i-am-an-onion
Sawadee krup. It has been our pleasure to make your ‘last minute’ honeymoon truly memorable. We are delighted to know that you were happy with the design of your water villa, the marine life, cuisine, and that you noticed touches of our Thai-rooted hospitality.

I would like to apologise for the inconvenience you experienced from your villa wooden deck. We are now taking measures to rectify and ensure that your experience is not repeated.

I am glad that you enjoyed snorkelling in our house reef, isn’t it an amazing gift to be able to see such a magical sight? Thank you for taking precautions on the reef. Being located in a UNESCO World Biosphere Reserve, we pay a very close attention to helping keep the beauty of our environment unspoiled for future generations to enjoy.

I’ve noted that you found the Thai food delicious. Khun Pu or Rungnapa as fondly called by the team, is the restaurant manager at Benjarong. Khun Serm is also a gem. We are blessed to have such a talented and well-trained team and I have commended both for their efforts in providing you with gracious service.

Once again, thank you very much indeed for taking some time out of your day to write a very kind and comprehensive review of our resort. We do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the island soon.

Kuwiat
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2013

Great service from our beautiful butler Nahed ...honestly all the staff are welcoming and friendly ... This is my second experience in Maldives and it was the best...thank u all the staff of Dusit Thani wish you the very best

• Stayed November 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you very much MrsAltayyr for choosing Dusit Thani Maldives on your recent visit to the islands. We are happy to have provided you with a wonderful stay and I am glad you enjoyed our services which we strive hard to improve every day. We hope to welcome you back on your third visit to the Maldives!

Weilheim, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2013

We have been travelling a lot around the world and also many times to Maledives, whereas Duist Thani is far away the best we have experienced yet. You'll get a perfect mixture of luxury and the feeling of being at home. The Villas are beautiful and well equiped, the restaurants are excellent (but expensive), the THai Spa has an amazing ambience and also the water sports has modern and very good equipment. But the best on this island is the service you get ! We had a female Butler NAHED and she really could read every wish from our lips. Thank you very much for this wonderful experience and special thanks to Nahed, who provided hospitality and service in its perfection.
We will come again.......

Room Tip: Pool Villa on the South Side
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
DusitThaniMaldives, General Manager at Dusit Thani Maldives, responded to this review, December 25, 2013
Season’s greetings from Dusit Thani Maldives! It was a pleasure to host you on our little island in the year’s busiest period. I am thrilled to note that despite your many travels to these parts and beyond, our resort was able to stand out as your best Maldivian experience yet!

We are humbled by your words of appreciation. Regarding menu pricing, our Executive Chef James has thoughtfully considered our various menus, that they should provide a good balance of affordable and premium offerings. Nonetheless, I would appreciate if you could drop me a line at desmond.hatton@dusit.com to discuss your suggestions in detail. We are of course are eager to receive your comments.

Nahed and our many team members will surely delight in your wonderful review, and on behalf of all of us here, I wish you a new year of happiness, health and prosperity. We hope to see you again on Mudhdhoo Island in the year 2014!

Jersey, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2013

We spent 10 nights at this wonderful resort staying in a beach villa. It was so spacious, private and with lovely views across to the distant Islands.
The temperature was in the 30s - if this seems too hot there is plenty of shade available from the trees that surround your villa.
The sea is so clear with so much to see from brightly coloured fish, amazing corals and the graceful turtles.
Our trip to see the Manta rays will stay with us forever - such elegant acrobats - so majestic.
The dolphin escorted there and back playing and weaving around our boat.
Good food is always a priority to a successful holiday, we were not disappointed.
The pastries for breakfast were melt in the mouth and what a variety.The Benjarong - Thai food -amazing and the Sea Grill had the best lamb and beef we have ever tasted.
Thank you James for arranging our beach dining on our last night, what a finale.
Last but not least a thank you to Lauren (marine biologist) who's knowledge is amazing and has such a lovely personality.Thank you for emailing the photo's of me swimming with the manta rays - that is what I call going the extra mile.
We really hope that everybody that visits this resort enjoys it as much as we did.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Sawasdee krup! Thank you for allowing us to learn about your wonderful experience at the resort. We are happy that you enjoyed the best of nature in our island, and that you found our culinary offerings suitable to your personal taste . Our culinary team strives to create extraordinary gastronomic experiences for our international clientele with different tastes and preferences, and we are delighted that we were able to meet your expectations.

Lauren is always excited to share the beauty of the underwater world with all that come across our reefs, and we are honoured to have provided you with such a memorable experience with the mantas in the Baa Atoll.

I wish you a fantastic festive season and a happy new year filled with cheer!

Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2013 via mobile

We were so undecided about which island to choose from the plethora of choices in the Maldives for our honeymoon. Upon arriving, we knew we made the right choice in Dusit Thani. We arrived on 14 December, and have so far enjoyed three days of paradise. One more day tomorrow, and we don't want to leave our overwater villa when we depart on the 19th December! Beautiful reef, snorkeling all day and then relaxing on our pool deck is why we came to the Maldives. We even saw a turtle cruise idly past while snorkeling in the reef lagoon. Excellent service from our butler, Siraj, who tended to all our needs. Top notch service in all the restaurants, in particular the cheeky and attentive Ishaag, remembering to bring an espresso every morning at breakfast. The rooms are fantastic, great view, very clean. We are currently in 619, and wholly recommend the water villas. We really don't need to leave the room with the lagoon a footstep away. The island just makes you feel so secluded, it's quiet, yet has plenty of activities if you
desire. We'll have be back!

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank kyu3535
DusitThaniMaldives, General Manager at Dusit Thani Maldives, responded to this review, December 19, 2013
On behalf of all of us at Dusit Thani Maldives, I am honoured that you chose our island to spend your special life event.

Our team has been briefed on your review and I have also recognised team members Ishaag and Siraj who have delivered the gracious hospitality we strive to instil in all our staff. We look forward to welcoming you back to Mudhdhoo Island in the near future.

Los Angeles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2013

My husband and I visited the Maldives in November for the first time. Our adventure started with an overnight stay in Male that was less than impressive (no need to spend much time there). We were scheduled for the early morning seaplane flight which offers a great view over the coral reefs and that beautiful water. When you arrive it's like you have stepped onto Robinson Crusoe's island - a very luxurious one! The softest white sand with that beautiful blue water - heavenly!

We stayed in a lovely beach villa that is right on the sand just steps from the water. This room was fantastic with many amenities. The bed was very comfortable with high quality linens. I slept great! There is a lux outdoor bathroom - it's huge! It has a soaking tub & two showers (one is in the "garden" area). However, I was soaking in the tub around 6 pm and they were spraying for insects. The fog from the spray was so heavy I had to leave (this happened twice). Not sure why they kept doing this at a time when people are relaxing and getting ready for dinner. Also, there was a "butler" assigned to our room, but honestly he was never available when we called... When we did request something it didn't materialize. It wasn't a big deal to us as we're pretty self-sufficient. I'm just not sure what the point of having a butler is if they don't offer any service. The villas all have a set of bikes and they are perfect to cruise around the island to restaurants, etc...

The restaurants at Dusit Thani are excellent. We especially enjoyed the Thai restaurant. The breakfast buffet is fantastic too. There is a huge variety of food that caters to different ethnicities. The service is very good. Just remember, it's not cheap, but it's the Maldives. We dined at the Italian buffet one night and we were shocked to find that it was around $100 each (not including beverages). It would've been nice to know that up front. Also, when you're spending this kind of money it's a bit tacky to charge guests $4.50 for a bottle of tap water from the island.

We are both avid scuba divers and went on several dive excursions while we were there. If you enjoy snorkeling, there is fantastic snorkeling right off the beach. Ask the staff for the best locations around the island. The dive staff is superb, professional and very personable. We especially enjoyed Mo and Tom. They are both very experienced, knowledgeable and really go the extra mile. Great guys! This is probably the nicest dive shop I've ever seen. Everything is clean, top quality and efficiently run. They offer a variety of equipment for rent and many different excursions - the manta ray snorkel trip was great. We want to say a special thanks to Mo - from Gawaii (private joke)! We really enjoyed your company!

We were sad to leave this lovely little island. It was a blissfully relaxing, beautiful, perfect escape. I highly recommend Dusit Thani. We will definitely be back!

Room Tip: Beach villas are great if you're looking for more of a true island experience. Over water bungal...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Katmo1864
DusitThaniMaldives, General Manager at Dusit Thani Maldives, responded to this review, December 21, 2013
I am very happy that you found paradise in our little island – from our signature Thai cuisine, to the colourful marine life, to your private beach villa. It is rewarding to know that we were able to create a memorable experience.

I do regret the inconvenience you experienced with our daily fogging. Your comfort is of utmost importance to us, however we also received reports of an increase in mosquitos in nearby islands and as a precaution we are taking measures to protect our guests. The schedule of fogging before sundown has been recommended by consultants as the ideal time to control the mosquito population in tropical conditions, however we definitely will review this again and are grateful for your input.

I have also noted your comment about our butler service. I do apologise that your experience has marred your impression of the style of hospitality we strive to achieve. I regret that we fell short of your expectations in this regard. Most recently we have engaged new members in our butler team with intensive training underwa, and your feedback has been brought up with my management team to address with urgency.

Finally, your comment on the buffet pricing has been noted and we will consider your suggestions moving forward. We do offer various options such as an a la carte menu at The Market and I regret that this was not communicated to you by our staff. We have also taken measures to ensure that prices and offerings are better communicated to our guests.

Once again, thank you for your kind words and honest review which certainly helps us to further improve our services and provide a truly enlivening experience to all that come across our Thai-rooted hospitality. We have already begun to count down to the day of your return.

Until then, yours sincerely,