“"So Glad we finally Visited Conrad"”

Conrad Maldives Rangali Island
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Rangali Island
Loughborough, United Kingdom
“"So Glad we finally Visited Conrad"”
Reviewed September 23, 2013

We booked Conrad with SimplyMaldivesHoliday.co.uk and have to say they have been the best as yet, service was excellent, very competitive and very knowledgable, we was taken to Conrads private lounge before boarding our seaplane and what a lovely touch, everything for breakfast was there for the taking also chillers with water and soft drinks, tea and coffee plus a free massage if wanted, bliss after a long flight,
Landing at the island was brilliant as for the first time ever instead of the seaplane arriving to a pontoon we was backed on to the beach, after a warm welcoming we was taken to our room a deluxe beach villa 231 and WOW what a villa, it has to be the best room we have had in the maldives to date, we requested a room as near to 230 as possible so having 231 was a nice start to the holiday, thank you Amit and Conrad and it only got better from then on.

Food... they had six live cooking stations and there was nothing you could not have, the most choice we have ever had and amazing, the night of our anniversary we dinned at the Ithaa
under water restaurant and what an amazing experience, the food was out of this world,
so too was Mandhoo restaurant, we also had breakfast a couple of times at Vilu on the other island.

House Reef .... Well that was the biggest surprise ever, we had read that conrads reef was either non excitant or very small, well all i can say is people do not ask the dive center where the house reef is and perhaps think that the little reef near to the spa villa's is the main reef, it is quite a decent length of reef and if you care to go a little further to the bridge and staff island thats being built its full of life, beautiful coral and so many fish.

Staff ..... So friendly and helpful, how they remember everyone's name's i do not know, there is nothing that they would not do for you.

If budget allows go for a deluxe beach villa with pool you will not be disappointed.
We have been to quite a few islands now and Conrad is one of our favorite islands, and we will visit again.

Room Tip: Deluxe Beach Villa East side
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank maldives_Addict97

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (346)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
United Kingdom
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Let’s start from the beginning. We landed in Malé, where we were met by a Conrad representative. Conrad seaplane lounge is fine not great although we only stayed there for 20 minutes and there wasn’t time to see much, but welcome buffet was empty cause wasn’t been replenished. Seaplane to the island was absolutely divine and lifetime experience that shouldn’t be missed, the view is surreal.

Check in was quite efficient and very quick. We stayed 4 days in a beach villa and 4 in a water villa. Beach villa was very well designed and really spacious with and outdoor shower and an outdoor bathtub, a path that leads to the beach, having anything you possibly need. The water villa is pretty good and I wouldn’t say private (although we were lucky having a single water villa not being attached to another one) cause when you are in the sea you can see your co neighbors, had a very big bedroom, quite big bathroom with tub and shower. Easy access to water down the steps and very cozy patio not very big thought. Two bottles of fresh water was daily replenished, as well as coffee bullets for our Nespresso machine and tea bags. Wi-Fi was available in all of the resort's buildings, restaurants, lounges and rooms. It was fast and reliable.
Regarding food and especially alcohol everything is pretty expensive but this is something common in all the resorts in Maldives.
In Atoll restaurant we had our daily breakfast which was very rich and having everything you could wish from a great selection of bakery, omelets, waffles, crepes, pancakes, fresh fruits and a juicer to make your own juice.
Sunset grill food was I think, our favorite in a great location very romantic, dining watching the rays and fish go past underneath. Champagne and Lobster night was amazing with delicious food and awesome setting. Quiet zone for snacks was perfect and quiet with amazing cocktails. Vilu has the best setting and is great seeing the Dhoni coming and going. Mandhoo restaurant was great and alternative and this was the area that a wonderful afternoon complimentary tea, sandwiches and cakes from 16:00 to 17:00 each day.
Rangali Bar, is fun and with more descent prices, happy hour with fantastic cocktails and some nights live entertainment. Last but not least Itha restaurant. I think is overpriced. We had lunch there and the food wasn’t what we say superb, but is a unique experience and if I was to go again I would definitely do it.
Conrad has a great reef and if the reason you are going to Maldives is to snorkel, then this is the right place. Also spa I dare to say one of the best I ve been in my life, especially the overwater spa.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank KTSHU
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 21, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Conrad Maldives Rangali Island for 7 nights in September this year. We stayed in a Spa Water Villa (418) for 2 nights and a Premier Water Villa (313) for 5 nights.

I had contacted the resort prior to arrival to request a Spa Water Villa that was far out and they delivered on that as we were allocated 418 which was approximately 450m out. The walk to the island took approximately 7-8 minutes and we enjoyed it as there was always something to see. The Spa Water villa is large (~150m2) and contains a lot of glass and so is always bright and airy. A particularly nice feature is that you can pull the doors on either side of the bed right back to merge the outdoor and indoor living spaces. It may seem like a funny thing to say but if you go to the Maldives you have to get used to the idea of a bit of nakedness. If you want a shower with a spectacular ocean view then you have to get over any fears of showering in front of a huge glass window. However, there seems to be a general unwritten rule that you don't swim in front of someone else's villa. Whilst staying in the Spa Water Villa we ate breakfast at Atoll Market and it had a huge range of delicious food.

On Day 3 we moved to the Premier Water Villa (313) on the smaller adult only island (Rangali). In hindsight, I wish I had just booked the full 7 nights here as it was heavenly. The villa change was handled seamlessly. The Premier Water villas, of which there are only two, are the second highest category of villa at the resort. They are second only to the Sunset Water Villas which we were given a tour of but my wife and I both felt that the PWV was more modern and actually in a better state of general upkeep. If you look at the photos of the PWV on the Conrad's website they really undersell it. The level of detail inside are quite breathtaking and everything is of the highest possible specification. We particularly liked the amazingly comfortable emperor size floating bed, the Bose soundsystem which was throughout the villa including on the sundeck and in the bathroom, the enormous walk-in closet, the infinity pool, vast sofa and the overwater daybed. We've stayed in a lot of amazing hotel rooms around the world but this was easily the best we've ever stayed in - no others come close. It sets a benchmark. We found that whenever asked for our villa number in restaurants the staff always commented how it was their favourite villa (even ahead of the Sunset).

Putting rooms aside what elevates the Conrad from being good to exceptional are the staff. The Maldivian and Sri Lankan people have a warmth and kindness which I love and it was always great to talk with them. My wife and I were interested in what life was like in the Maldives and it was great to hear all about it. They genuinely go out of their way to make your stay something that you will remember for the rest of your life. Towards the end of our stay we were approached by the Resort Manager and the Director of Rooms and asked for our feedback on the property. I really can't find any fault with your product - it surpassed my high expectations. I said it at the time but it really is your staff that make the experience. I had the privilege of staying at a St Regis property in the Indian Ocean earlier this year and my stay at the Conrad really made me realise just how much higher the benchmark can actually be. People regularly comment on the visibility of management on Tripadvisor but my personal opinion is that if the system is working then management should be invisible.

Here's just one example of what I mean about personalised service: we booked to go on a private jetskiing tour one afternoon. We booked it independently of Isaam, our island host, but someone must have told him. When we arrived back there were two cold scented towels waiting and some ice cold bottles of water. Isaam appeared out of nowhere and offered us a lift back to our villa. To me that's all the parts of resort working together as one. That's the Conrad difference.

Finally, I'd like to say a few thanks to people who made our recent holiday amazing; to Isaam, our island host, thanks for putting up with our indecisiveness and organising everything for us with a smile. To Rona and Hussain at the Sunset Grill - you guys are one in a million and you're awesome! We really enjoyed our chats! To our room attendant Mohamed; you'll never know how touched we were by your leaving gift. Thank you for everything you did for us during our stay. To Meyga at the Quiet Zone lounge; thanks for making our last night so incredibly special. To Absy at Atoll Market; I'm sorry I was such a disappointing British man who didn't follow football at all. Hopefully you'll make it to Anfield one day!

So, if you're looking at the Conrad for your trip to the Maldives, book it without hesitation. It will be the best decision you've made in a long, long time.

A few videos...
Spa Water Villa (418) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaijFy96wj4
Premier Water Villa (313)
Part One: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFSP8N1FhYA
Part Two: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAA0Z1OTCyI
Conrad Maldives Rangali Island http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fLIPEkb1Ak

Room Tip: If you're booking a Premier Water Villa then ask for 313 - it's better.
5 Thank Jonjparr
Shenzhen, China
Reviewed September 20, 2013

I was not supposed to write a comment here on Conrad anyway, generally we love this place and it met our expectations as a Hilton family hotel who has already gained its reputation.

I would especially like to thank our Chinese guest service Christy and Jeffrey, they helped us a lot even they were very busy dealing with other Chinese guests.

I was travelling with my wife for a honeymoon, we booked another resort (to avoid ads, let's call it M resort) and where we stayed for 3 nights. Our move to Conrad on the 4th night was a proposal that we agreed with M resort, they kindly asked us to exchange one night stay to Conrad, and offered us a free extra lunch (we had HB plan in M resort) and a free cocktail event at noon at Conrad Ithaa undersea restaurant. We loved M but had decided to go to Conrad to see what it is about, that's why we now have a position to comment on it.

Like all the Maldivian resorts, Conrad earned its reputation already and absolutely met your expectation about a trip in Maldives, the undersea restaurant was unique. We will go straight to the aspects that they should improve.

As indicated, we will only stay there for one night, and it was our last night in our plan which meant we would set off to Male' directly from Conrad but not from M resort anymore. When we entered the beach villa, we did not notice until at night when we head back that there was no hot water supply in-villa at all, so I called the room service, they said the hot water pipe might broke and they would go to the roof of our villa to fix it, that's almost 11 pm, so they took approximately 1 hour, during which the electricity was cut off for ten minutes without notice. I heard people walking and doing maintenance work on our roof so that we had to well dress ourselves to protect our privacy, nobody came to tell us the problem is fixed, we tried after an hour and find out the hot water is available at last. What I thought, Conrad is an old resort, maybe, some of their infrustructures for the villas need further maintenance work.

And then we checked out the next day at 12 (I asked them to consider extending the check-out time for a few hours so that we can leave late to catch our mid night flight, well, they refused to offer this which is reasonable enough), after checking out, we walked around on the island and noticed our luggage was placed at the pavilion at the reception. We thought they were well managed because the domestic airlines, the M resort, they both took care of your luggage well, we had never worried about the whereabouts of our luggage. We noticed again no one was taking care of our luggage even when we were walking to the seaplane court to board, if we did not recall that we saw our luggage in the pavilion, we would definitely miss our luggage there, and we did find luggage of other passengers of our flight well placed at the sea plane court under guidance of their employees, we felt a little prejudiced under such circumstances and no one could give me a satisfactory answer to it. It's lucky we managed to take our luggage by ourselves.

Anyway, Conrad Maldives would be a place which definitely meets your expectation of Maldives, but that's it.

1 Thank Edward L
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed September 19, 2013

A trip to the Maldives is a fantastic experience. Flying over these tiny pieces of land lost in the ocean is an unforgettable moment. But when you reach the Conrad Rangali island, this is were true magic happens.
We went there a year ago (May 2012).
Living in South East Asia, we have the chance to travel to a lot of beautiful places and great hotels. But staying at the Conrad is one of the best, if not the best experience we've ever had.
Nestled on two islands the hotel is the perfect place if you truly want to escape the world.
Its specific layout allows for privacy and tranquility on the smallest island and for more activities and fun on the biggest one.
The two islands are connected by a long bridge from which you can sight hundreds species of fishes swimming in the lagoon.
All the facilities are in perfect condition and the water villas were we stayed are amazing.
Restaurants are excellent. The underwater one is a must try! With only eight tables, it is a unique and memorable experience.
The lagoon is beautiful and snorkelling there will give you the impression that you are swimming in a giant aquarium.
As far as I can remember we couldn't fault the Conrad Rangali Island.
You will always find people to say that it is far too expensive and that the prices are ridiculous. You are in the Maldives, what do you expect seriously?
Yes it is expensive and The Conrad is no exception to the rule, so if you can go there just be prepared and make sure you can afford it. Then, enjoy....
We would like to specifically highlight the professionalism and kindness of the staff, with a special thanks to Mr Julien Courtigne who made our stay a bliss.
We keep fantastic memories from this hotel and we will back one day without a doubt!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Wrangbrook
Reviewed September 15, 2013

I'll cut the rubbish about the Maldives being like heaven and absolute bliss etc. If you haven't been to The Maldives, you should. If you have, you will go again.

Rangali is quite different to any island I have been to before. Being a tight Yorkshireman I generally pick a fully inclusive island where I know I can't get ripped off. This time we went for something a bit more a la carte. I'm not saying we were ripped off, but before you book here, make use of the on-line restaurant menus and bar prices and if you like a lot of food or drink, make sure you've saved up enough. An example is that a cocktail is 18 US$ and a half of beer is 9 US$. Gin and tonic is a cocktail.

We were bed and breakfast, the breakfast buffet was very good with a choice of different nationality foods available. Evening meal for us was an extra and the entry level is to use the Atol Market buffet at $95 US. The buffet is similar to what you'd expect at any all-inclusive Maldivian resort, or any other similar resort come to that. It is certainly nothing special and for the price, leaves a funny taste in the mouth.

All other restaurants are a la carte and you can choose your price level. Typically a starter will be $20us and a main will be $40 but the wine starts at around $40 as well and you wouldn't want to be seen ordering the cheapest on the menu would you.

If you were to go for one of the speciality meals such as the beach barbeque, the tepanyaki night or a candle-lit dinner for two on the beach then you're looking at $250 per person and frankly I couldn't face forking out that amount of money so can't offer advice on whether I think it was worth it or not. And remember that an exclusive, private, candle-lit dinner for two is on the beach where everyone walks.

Generally, we enjoyed only exceptional service if a little slow at times and on the night we chose the degustation menu, we were given a keen as mustard waiter who was clearly working out his probationary period. A copy of the menu on the table cleared up his lack of knowledge. I will review the restaurants we ate in individually but, although extremely expensive at $320 per head, the food and overall experience of eating in the Ithaa Underwater restaurant will stay with me for life.

Tips for the more thrifty of us are that there is a cocktail party for residents of the Water villa island and for Hilton Honours Gold and Diamond members where the range of drinks are limited but free from 5pm to 6pm then from 6 to 7pm there is hapy hour at the Koko bar in the Quiet Zone where drinks are half price and lead you nicely into dinner time.

Mask, snorkel and flippers hire are FOC so don't bother dragging your own there. they are good quality as well. Marine activities on this island are a very expensive $200 snorkelling trip out to see the whale sharks (we saw 4, but never guaranteed apparently) the lagoon is awash with stingrays and eagle rays and has a resident manta who visits almost nightly and the house reef is second to none, I spent many a happy hour out there being at one with nature and burning my back (tip, wear a shirt if you plan to stay for a while) There's a glass bottom boat, submarine, yacht, skiing and windsurfing but if you need to ask the price, you can't afford it. Dive centre is excellent, as are the dive team.

Previous references to barbarians proved completely unfounded on our visit. All other guests were polite and respectful, if a little solitary (it is not much of a socialising atmosphere so make sure you go with someone you like) but as the majority of residents are far-eastern, the well travelled amongst us will know that they do behave differently in some ways to us westerners, and I don't believe I'm being disrespectful in saying that, it is typically British to queue apparently.

Would we go back? Unlikely. I think I prefer the format of a fully inclusive resort which is more focused on socialising and the water than fine dining and five star service would suit me better and I'd gladly take tips on where to go next.

Room Tip: I don't think you get to choose your room but certainly you should choose your beach. We found t...
7 Thank dave_hemingway
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed September 10, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here and at the 4 Seasons LG. Conrad has some unique touches/ experiences that come with a bigger hotel but it definitely loses the intimacy factor a little bit and the attention to detail is not that which you would get at a smaller hotel. We had a spa villa which was definitely very memorable. It had an entirely seperate treatment room with glass floor which was very cool.

The fondue restaurant is a must do as the food is incredible and it's a cool setting with sand floors (just being a shawl as it's kept very cool) and the "shipwrecked" dinner was probably the most memorable night of our whole trip (including stay at the other hotel) and is definitely worth splashing out for. I wouldn't bother with dinner in the underwater restaurant as prices are extortionate and when we were there they offered a champagne and canapé one hour session during the day that allowed us to experience the restaurant for a fraction of the cost (during the day albeit).

The hotel is so big and spread out that it can't help but have a bit of an empty feeling to it at times; especially in a quieter month like May. Also, unlike the 4 Seasons LG who do not put a tip option on their bills (very tasteful and leads to guests likely just giving more in cash - well hopefully it does!) here there is that option every single time you sign something and it seems to be expected.
Never the less, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay here and would recommend it.

• Stayed May 2013
#1 of 1 in Dhidhoofinolhu Island
Mirihi Island Resort
Mirihi Island Resort
#1 of 1 in Mirihi

Been to Conrad Maldives Rangali Island? Share your experiences!