“Wonderful !!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Conrad Maldives Rangali Island

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Conrad Maldives Rangali Island
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Rangali Island
Dover, Massachusetts
“Wonderful !!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2013

We have been to Rangali once as a Hilton and then as a Conrad in '08, '09, '10 and '12. Clearly, we love Ranglai. I always intend to post a review upon our return but it all really has been said before...the island is beautiful, the service fantastic. It is so nice to see many of the same Conrad staff members upon our returns - makes us feel at home.

As people have commented, the island and its surrounding are even more spectacular in person than in the photos. We have stayed in a number of different types of villas - it really comes down to personal preference. It is worth trying a villa on the smaller island to compare it with villas on the main island - the smaller island seems to be a bit more removed and serene. The spa/retreat villas also are wonderful and we do not find them to be too remote; we actually enjoy the walk to/from the villa.

The view at the end of the day from either the Vilu bar area or the Quiet Zone beach bar area certainly will afford you an opportunity to unwind. There are so many shades of blue water !!! Also, you frequently will see baby black tipped sharks or rays swimming near the shore line.

Needless to say, we are pondering a return vacation to Rangali in the not too distant future.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank llfoster

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (331)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
North Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2013

My husband and I stayed here in March 2011 after talking to friends who had stayed here. We love the beach so opted to stay in a deluxe beach villa. We were absolutely awed from the minute we walked into our villa. Total privacy. Loved the outdoor shower and covered giant tub. The back, with a covered porch was perfect for reading and just relaxing. The plunge pool was soothing and wonderful. We were a short walk away from 'our' beach and spent many hours just reading and snorkeling. This hotel has a great house reef, which was important to us. I didn't want to pay to go out on a boat. Every time we went into the water, we saw new types of fish and the coral was magnificent! The staff was so attentive and the food was fabulous. I recently started longing to go back for another trip and did much searching in the Internet to find a different place but kept coming back to this one. Everything about it was perfect, including the beautiful mantas that do their nightly acrobatics along the pier connecting the two small islands. This vacation rates right up there at the top of my 'trips of a lifetime'. You will not be disappointed.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank jechamp
Lewisville, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2013

My boyfriend and I returned last week from a week-long stay at the Conrad Maldives, and we cannot say enough positive things about the people, place, and service. From beginning to end we had the perfect trip.

I would like to address a couple poor reviews first:
I read a review a while back that complained about the host being difficult to reach and not fulfilling all the reviewer’s requests. I’m not sure if that person misunderstood the host, but they are not your personal concierge. They are there to greet you, give you all the resort details (restaurants, events, where things are located, etc.), and show you to your room. Your host may not always be available to you – that’s not what they’re there for. You may call them for requests/questions, but there are tons of other people to call on as well. We never had any problems with selecting the ‘Conrad Concierge’ button on the phone – someone was always available to us – not just the host.

Another reviewer mentioned that getting from the water villas island to the main island was at times tough as the wait for a golf cart was way too long. What they failed to mention was that there is a water taxi/ferry that takes guests from side to side every 10 minutes or so. Much easier than waiting for a golf cart or making the walk across the 300 meter bridge.

Now, on to our review!

King Water Villa:
Beautiful! The room was bigger than we thought it would be and these villas were recently updated (in 2011 I believe) so the décor was very nice. We loved the large bathroom and walk-in closet, the vaulted ceiling, couch/reading area, glass floor under the desk, but our favorite part of the bungalow was the deck. It was a great size and the plunge pool was very refreshing on the hot, sunny days. We saw so much ocean life and spent hours just gazing into our ‘backyard’ watching the variety of colorful fish, sharks, manta rays, and sting rays…but don’t worry; they are just juveniles and not dangerous! If you have the ability get a sunset villa, the amazing sunsets make it worth the extra money.

Staff/Service:
Outstanding! Everyone from the front desk and restaurant/bar workers to our room attendant and excursion guides - and even the grounds keepers - were the friendliest people we’ve ever met. Anyone working in the customer service industry should visit the Conrad to perfect their skills in the industry. Most everyone knew our names and not one person we passed at any time of day didn’t say hello. A couple shout-outs to our favorite Conrad employees – Aslah (our room attendant) cleaned our room to perfection every day, was very friendly (we loved getting to know him), and even left a couple surprises in our room for us – one being flowers on our bed in the shape of a heart. Shark (Rangali Bar Manager) remembered our names from day one and made sure to stop by and say hello/ask what he can do to make our visit better each time we were in his restaurant, which was daily. En/Ann (So sorry I can’t remember the spelling!) (Massage Therapist) gave me two Swedish Massages. Hands down the best massages I’ve ever had. Very friendly with amazing talent!

Ithaa (Underwater Restaurant):
Unique! This experience was worth every penny. We attended a 6:30 p.m. dinner based on previous reviews stating that it’s best to go when it’s still light out so you can see more ocean life. Dining with sharks and beautiful fish was really fun. The seven-course meal was delicious and the service impeccable. The only suggestion we would give to the Conrad is to shorten the length a bit. Our dinner ended up going just over three hours with long waits between dishes. Since you can’t see much outside the glass restaurant when it’s dark outside anyway, we would have rather the dinner finished up in a couple hours so we could go enjoy other things on the island. All-in-all a wonderful experience though.

Whale Shark Snorkeling Excursion:
Amazing! We were told when we booked that we may not see any whale sharks, but this three-hour tour couldn’t have been better. We got to swim with three whale sharks! How exhilarating. This has been a life-long dream of mine and I finally got to check it off my bucket list. The guides were great at explaining everything and going over whale shark facts with us. I would recommend this tour to anyone even at just the chance of seeing a whale shark.

Seaplane/Conrad Airport Lounge:
Flawless! Upon our arrival in Male, we were taken by bus to the Conrad Lounge where there were complimentary breakfast and chair massages, modern/relaxing décor and furnishings, and great views. Our wait was approximately an hour and a half before we left my seaplane to head to the Conrad. It was only a 30 minute flight with a quick stop at another resort. The airline staff was friendly and very efficient.

Other Things Worth Mentioning i.e. not in the brochure:
- There is an 8.5% Maldivian tax and 10% surcharge on everything- food, beverage service etc.
- We tipped in addition to the surcharge as that does not go to the staff.
- Even though it says otherwise on the Hilton website HH Diamond members do receive free breakfast daily at the buffet, and it is excellent.
- The mini bar is refilled twice daily and are the exact same prices as the bar
- Don’t bother bringing your mask, fins and snorkel as you can get a free set from the scuba shop and you can keep it for the entire trip

Overall, our stay couldn’t have been more perfect. We had so much fun and were able to completely relax. If you want seclusion, perfection, sun, postcard beauty, and friendly treatment – Conrad Maldives Rangali Island is the place for you! Thank you Conrad Maldives Rangali Island for giving us the best trip of our lives. We hope to return one day!

Room Tip: If you plan to stay on the water villas side, try to get a room on the back side (sunset side) as th...
7 Thank Jillian322
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2013 via mobile

The MalDives is amazing. We will definitely return. Too bad about our missing bags. Everything else was great.

We stayed in a water villa with hot-tub

They held our luggage behind when we took the seaplane to the resort. This is not a problem, as we were told the plane was at full weight limit. What WAS a problem, was they way they handled the situation. They did not mention our bags were missing until we asked 8 hours later. We could not go out to eat or go swimming etc without any bags. We had to phone them multiple times to ask what was happening with our luggage. Nobody seemed to know what was happening with our luggage. Later that night, they delivered what they called an "emergency kit", which was a staff shirt and pair of shorts.

The under water resturaunt was over-rated. The glass walls are dirty, scratched and cloudy. Once in awhile a manta swims by, but the novelty wears off fast. Eat upstairs for a more fun & lively experience instead.

Overall I would recommend Conrad Rangali, but personally, we will try The Four Seasons next time we come for a visit.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank SomeDood
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

From the moment we arrived to the second we left; this was a beautiful and amazing vacation. So let's get it out of the way right off the top; yes, it is very expensive...but you get what you pay for and you should expect high prices when going to a 5 star resort on a remote island. Now that we are past that, let's get to how wonderful it is!

What room to stay in? First, we spent a few nights in a beach villa (#116) then upgraded to a spa water villa (#416) for the duration. Both were amazing and offered different benefits and I'd stay in either again. Beach villas are closer to reception (shorter walks) and can be a bit noiser (not too bad, but you do share a wall with your neighbor); shower, tub & vanity are all outside but that is what makes it so unique...showering outside is so different. Only thing to keep in mind, it can get hot when applying make up or blow drying hair at outdoor vanity. Also, as what others posted, I'd stay away from villas #101 - 106 due to noise and smell of generators/engines that are located close by....but all the others would be great! The water villas are further away and yes, longer walk...but who cares where are you in a hurry to go...they are beautiful and it was lovely to have our own little deck with jacuzzi to sunbathe and relax (bathroom inside in water villas). However, if you go during rainy season, I might venture to say if you are in a water villa, in a storm, that may make some nervous but I slept through the only rain that happened on our trip, but it could be a concern for some. Spa villas have an extra room if you want to do spa treatments in it, or it could be a second bedroom for kids if you are taking the family or in our case...just an extra room where we had more space to throw our stuff.

Attire: No shoes needed...seriously, only flip flops and bare feet everywhere you go. Save the suitcase space and don't bring shoes!

Gym: I had grand intentions to work out on my vacation...but honestly, I found it too humid to do so. Therefore again, I would say...save the suitcase space and just enjoy your holiday and don't bring your work out gear!

Food: All the restaurants are fabulous. Don't miss the amazing buffet breakfast at Atoll (included aka free if you are a Diamond Hilton member). Private beach dinner was a great night and we did it to celebrate our 10-year wedding anniversary. The fondue in the Wine Bar was awesome and so very fairly priced...highly recommend. The tapas also in the Wine Bar was also another fun dinner. The only dinner we didn't do, that is one of the meals you "should" do was Ithaa (the underwater restaurant). We just didn't want to spend the money on a price fixe dinner when I don't eat seafood...so it would of been lost on me and cost a lot so we decided not to. However, I did hear if you do try Ithaa...make sure your not clostrophobic as the restaurant is small. Free drinks at Vilu happy hour (5 - 6pm) for Hilton Diamond members is a MUST DO. We met a lot of other folks and had nice coversation and enjoyed some free drinks. Then we went to Rangali Bar for next happy hour from 6 - 7pm for 1/2 price drinks. Nice way to start your evening before dinner...all while saving a couple of dollars, therefore a good deal!

Spa & Diving: We thouroughly enjoyed our activities. My husband dove almost every day and said it was some of the best diving he'd done in the world. I loved all of my 4 spa treatments. I highly recommend the "Muscle Ease" treatment...AMAZING...especially after traveling for 2 days to get there! Thai massage and earth facial also very nice. All the spa attendants did great work!

Special recognition go out to Isaam our Island Host. He did a wonderful job and was so helpful and accessible throughout our trip. Great guy! We also loved getting to know Moosa (our waiter at our private dinner and breakfast every morning) and Beatrice in the Wine Bar. Both were so pleasant, helpful and always there to get us anything we needed.

Frankly all staff, house boys (maids), guys that keep up the landscaping, boat driver between the two little islands, the F&B Manager, on and on were all lovely. Thank you to you all.

We had one minor issue, not even worth mentioning, but the second I told Isaam he was on it and it was corrected. I could not have asked for better service, better food, or a better vacation. You will most definitely enjoy your time there. Suggestion...it is a far trip, so make sure you stay long enough to enjoy and not be jet-lagged. We stayed for 9 days and it was perfect!

5 Thank SassySkates
Houston, TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

After reading at least 200 reviews here on Trip Advisor, I had VERY high expectations for our 10 day stay at The Conrad. All I can say is that as high as these expectations were, The Conrad greatly exceeded them.

We booked a Beach Villa on points, then after 3 days got upgraded to a Spa-Retreat Water Villa for the rest of our stay. I could easily make a case for both rooms being great. We loved the outdoor shower/bath in the Beach Villa, as well as it's close proximity to the beach and the rest of the stuff on the main island. The Water Villa though provided a privacy that we had never experience in a resort ever.

Everything else on the resort was amazing. Yes, these 300+ reviews are right. It is exteremely pricey, but every meal we had was outstanding. As Diamond members, we had access to the free breakfast, which one of the most massive buffets I've ever seen, as well as to the daily happy hour at the Villu Bar, where we enjoyed meeting many other Diamonds and chatting (most were American).

The rooms were fantastic, the food was fantastic, the SCUBA was amazing (I did 8 dives and saw sharks, stingrays, mantas, octopi, turtles, and about 100 million fish), my wife got a massage that she says was the best she's ever had (she averages one a week back here in the states).

Perhaps the best thing about our trip was our host Isaam and our waiter Moochie. They made sure everything we could possibly want was taken care of. I can't give the two of them enough high praise.

It's also worth noting that while we did have one little hicuup while we were there, the management took care of it immediately and did more than enough to fix the problem in our eyes.

If you have a chance, book this place right away. My wife and I celebrated our 10 year anniversary there which was our 20th country to visit on holiday and I can say without question it was the finest trip we've ever been on.

Room Tip: Don't be scared to stay on the main island because of the "kid" thing. We were worrie...
5 Thank davewfaa
Bratislava, Slovakia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

We were there for 7 nights in February 2013 for our honeymoon. In short, we loved it and it is a small paradise...
Positives:
- Overall set up. Two islands connected by the bridge (nicely lit up at night with mantas visiting every evening...). It is just so beautiful there. Overal super clean (if you consider send is everywhere and we did not have shoes or even flip flops on for the whole week)
- The trips offered. Take advantage of some. We did sunset fishing, which was a lot of fun and really nice as we had the sunset on the boat. We also caught 4 fish and for 20USD fee then will prepare them for you the next day. Trip is about 70USD per person (one of the cheapest ones there) and worth it.
- Whaleshark snorchling. Expensive, 200USD per person, but worth it. We saw 4 of them and I was able to swim for like 60seconds just 3metres from this huge animal. Experience of a lifetime...
- Service. Was indeed great. I can say example. Everyday something got broken in our beach villa. Coffee machine, phone, internet, doors to the terrace, doors to the wardrabe...I am not kidding...But everything got fixed within 10min of our phone call. Everybody was always very nice to us, the waiters always there for infromal quick chat...When we told at check in that we were on our honeymoon, they prepared something really special for us :-) Thanks for that again...
- Restaurants. All restaurants are just really cool. Honestly I cannot complain for any, there were only a few we have not tried out of all 9. We ate at Atoll market (everyday buffet for 95USD, but I recommend go on Monday during special Maldevian night), Rangali bar (simple food such as pizza, pasta, fish,sendwiches, sushi etc.), Villu restaurant (I recommend veal...), Mandahoo restaurant and Sunset grill (really beautiful seating).
- Breakfast. You can choose between breakfast at main island at Atoll market and smaller venue at the other island at Vilu restaurant. We did Vilu just once, we prefered Atoll. I really enjoyed fresh juice from whatever fruit you asked them too.
- Underwater restuarant. Was great experience, we did coctails for 55USD per person, they gave you a glass of champagne and some canapy. Dinner here is 325USD pp and I think that is just way too much for something that is cool to see, visit, but after 10min you kind fo see it all...(it is about 10x4 square meters)
- Rooms were spacious, clean, well equiped. We were at beach villas (107) and were very happy with it. Really great experience with having bathroom outside and we couple times enjoyed having bath under the stars...This side is good for swimming (villas that start with 100). The other side of the main island is good for snorchling (villas that start with 200). Last night we went to deluxe water villa (348). Was really nice. So much different and therefor I think it is great to try both, beach and water...Beach is really nice that you have a cool terrace and send right in front of you, beach to walk around...water villa is very private, but you are kind of left to be on the deck of your own terrace. Next time I would probably do the same, i would go to both (smaller preference on beach villa...). I am also not sure if I would pay that much extra for water villas for the whole stay (400USD extra per night, for deluxe even more)
- House reef. Such an grand place to snorchle. I could spend hours each day just there.
- The boat that goes between the two island every 15min or so. nice way to see islands and easy to move between them.
- Specials for guests and HHonors members. Every Wednesday there was coctail for the guests with some wine, canapy and soft drinks by the sunset. Good opportunity to meet other guests and talk to some staff. HHonors Gold members also got free drinks at Vilu bar everyday between 5-6pm. That was really nice way how to start evening :-)
- Spa. I did not do it, but my wife said it was the best she has ever had...
- I did my diving course there. Maldives are sucha great place to learn this. I found the whole diving center and team there very nice and helpful. Special thanks to Annick!

Negatives:
Not much to actually write...hardly any, but I will mention two.
- Price. Everything was really expensive. I mean paying for dinner (without alcohol) at Koko grill or Ithaa restaurant 600-800USD per couple including taxes is I think just too much...But if they do have poeple who are willing to pay for it, then hard to complain really :-)
- With beach villas you can sometimes get kids next to you and you can hear them in yoru villa. Waking up at 7am during your honeymoon because of them running around and screaming is not really my preference...Not sure if they can do much about it other then try to move you elswhere if they have rooms available.

When we were there, they were 100% full occupancy. Still it did not feel like it. Must be a way different world if they are just around 70% at lower season. I did Carribean (Bahamas), Pacific (Samoa and Cook islands) and now Indian ocean. Nice to compare the places now...

To summarize, I would 100% recommend. I would not go anytime soon back, but that is only for the reason that I would like to try something new not because I would not be 100% satisfied. I do hope to go back to this place at some point...

Room Tip: Beach villas that start with 100 are great for swimming. We had 107, was good, but try to go a bit f...
13 Thank SlovakKiwi
5.0 of 5 bubbles 2,726 reviews
Mirihi Island Resort
Mirihi Island Resort
#1 of 1 in Mirihi

Been to Conrad Maldives Rangali Island? Share your experiences!