We made our choice of going to Rangali based on exclusivity of the resort as well as kids club facilities (our boys are 2.5 and 4). No regrets - it's a beautiful set of islands with plenty to do and see, good service (but still - quite a bit of room for improvement), extensive choice of activities and a couple of really good restaurants. Would I go there again? Probably not, but that's only because I normally like to visit new places. My husband, on the other hand, would go back tomorrow (providing there were enough buggies to wheel him around... ;))...
- Stunning beaches, great snorkelling and boat excursions, breathtaking scenery whichever way you look, amazing sea-life and overall very well kept and clean resort.
- The Sunset Grill restaurant is by far the best on the island - very professional and friendly service, beautiful setting with fine views and absolutely delicious food. Between us we tried pretty much everything on the menu and couldn't fault anything. The staff were also very accommodating with regards to special requests - every time we had one (which with very young children was rather often) the chef would come up to our table and ask for details - brilliant!
- The Vilu restaurant was also lovely with very knowledgable staff and delicious food.
- The Wine Cellar Bar with tapas style food was awesome! Extensive choice of wine with fascinating presentation and a mini wine tasting course - very entertaining and a great experience, too!
- Our beach villa (134) was spacious and airy, with huge windows instead of walls and electric blinds. The outdoor bathroom was massive but hot at all times as, naturally, there was no air-con. It didn't bother us at all as we have already come across this concept before so we knew what to expect. Not the kind of solution you'd go for if you were to live there permanently but not a big deal for a couple of weeks on holiday. Plenty of outdoor space, beautiful garden and a large private pool - lovely and relaxing environment. The beach outside had a very private feel to it as there were never any people around and hardly any passers-by.
- Fantastic kids club - one of the best I've ever seen! Lovely and very attentive staff, loads of activities of all kinds but also free play. Gina in particular was brilliant! Very professional with great attitude and satisfactory level of authority. Our boys loved her!
- Sports centre very well equipped and managed - helpful and knowledgable staff, very polite and smiley.
- Front desk staff rather stiff and slightly on a miserable side. They looked completely out of place and didn't know much when asked even about basics. Not quite sure what their role involves but I think they're just there for the sake of it...
- Personally I couldn't care less about buggies but my husband is a huge fan! ;) Once he's on holiday - he's on holiday kind of approach... Well, the buggies in Rangali always go in the opposite direction... Even when you order one it takes ages for it to turn up and sometimes it might get snatched by someone else or just leave if you're a minute (literally) late. The thing is - you see them everywhere but can't get one... Ever... Hmm...
- The underwater restaurant is a bit of a con, in my humble opinion... Totally lacks atmosphere, feels very clinical and claustrophobic. You can't even see that much into the distance as water around it just isn't very clear. When you look up it's too bright without sunglasses on. The coral is very poor so you're left with a few fish here and there (which are pretty but not quite good enough since you can't even eat them ;)) On top of all that you have no choice but to eat a set menu consisting of very, very average dishes for an extortionate amount of $200 per person!!! Now, I don't mind paying for something that's actually worth the money but in this case it feels like a total rip off. I really don't understand what the fuss is about but I suppose it's human curiosity that makes you want to go there. What's funny is that you're not allowed to pop down just to have a look (there is some sort of cocktail hour at 11am when you can go down for a drink but, somehow, we never quite fancied a drink straight after breakfast) and I totally understand why...
- Coco Grill... Lovely setting and a set menu, again. Nice food, several nicely presented dishes. Nothing out of this world, nothing mind blowing... Apart from the price - dinner for 2 with a bottle of LP Rose leaves you staggering $850 lighter. Again - I really wouldn't mind if it actually blew me away!
Overall we had a lovely time and lots of very pleasant experiences. A couple of hiccups here and there but nothing too serious. I would definitely recommend it to pretty much anyone as there's enough to see and do whoever you are.
Special big thank you to Paul, Renee, Alanah and Charlie - for being totally and utterly awesome!
Another one to Beatrice - the best Sommelier I've ever met and a truly lovely lady!
And one more to Gina - for being absolutely amazing with our boys!
Thank you Rangali Team!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Barefoot luxury meets unpretentious style at this five star hotel in the Maldives. Home to whale sharks, manta rays, dolphins and turtles, Conrad Maldives is set on two islands and is reached by a 30-minute seaplane flight. Select from 12 restaurants and bars including Ithaa Undersea Restaurant, the Cheese Bar featuring 101 of the world's best cheeses, and an underground Wine Cellar with 20,000 bottles of fine wines. Relax at one of two spas or on the beautiful white sand beaches. Go diving and exploring on the many excursions available, including luxurious sunset cruises, big game fishing expeditions and local island hopping trips. Conrad Maldives is included in Conde Nast Traveler's 2013 Gold List of the Best 100 Hotels in the World and The World's 10 Best Beach Hotels. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Ctrip TA, Booking.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotwire, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA and Evoline ltd so you can book your Conrad Maldives Rangali Island reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Conrad Maldives Rangali Island Hotel Rangali Island
- Conrad Rangali Island
- Rangali Island Conrad
- Rangali Island Maldives