With my wife and I having such a busy first 10 months of 2013 with work, we wanted to go on holiday where we could relax and spend some time together. After carefully reviewing a number of islands in the Maldives we decided on Maafushivaru based on a number of other reviews and the fact it was a small island.
Having now returned to London from our trip, I wanted to write a review to help others that are trying to decide between the large number of islands in the area.
We spent a week in Maafushivaru from 26th October - 2nd November 2013 and can honestly say we loved every minute of our stay! We arrived after a long flight and had a seamless transfer from Male by sea plane to Maafushivaru. Our room (beach villa 125) was lovely and spacious and only a few feet away from the main beach, and a minute away from the main bar and pool.
The Island itself was absolutely beautiful and exactly what we expected from the pictures and previous reviews. We wanted to relax during our week, so we took full advantage of the spa, having 5 treatments between us during the week. Being a couple who like to pamper ourselves, we have had many treatments in many countries and the staff and treatments on offer were up there with the best we have experienced. I also used the gym on few occasions, and although small, it is well equipped. We were on an all inclusive package, and thought the food on offer from the buffet was good and varied for breakfast, lunch and dinner, but the highlight was the staff. From being greeted on arrival by the 'Lailane' to chatting with the duty manager 'Harshad' while waiting for our sea plane off the island the staff were an absolute pleasure and could not have been more helpful, and we certainly didn't have any issues with a shortage of banana's like one of the previous reviewers! We also wanted to give a special mention to Tim (operations manager) who was always on hand to help and gave us a great tour of the behind the scenes parts of the Island with a taste of the local snacks at the end.
We ate one night at the Teppanyaki restaurant and the Wagyu beef was the die for. Highly recommended.
As stated earlier, we went on this holiday to relax, so didn't use any of the water sports or go on any of the trips, but for a small island there certainly seemed plenty to keep you busy if that is what you are looking for.
Overall, we would rate Maafushivaru up there with any other beach holiday we have been on, and we fully intend to return soon.
Scott & Alexis
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Reached by a picturesque flight over the mysterious atolls of the Maldives, Maafushivaru is a quiet island knitted with lush flora surrounded by pure white sandy beaches and incredible turquoise lagoon. Next to the resort is the tiny desert island of Lonubo, exclusive to Maafushivaru guests. A visit to this beautiful island is a must. You can choose from daily visits for basking in the sun and snorkeling the beautiful reef, or ultimately book to stay overnight, an island just for you and your beloved, even if only for a night. Slumber at your choice of three distinct villas. Beach Villas are sited on postcard perfect beaches whilst the Water Villas are built on stilts over the Indian Ocean providing sunset and sunrise vistas that will be forever etched in your memory. For a fun filled holiday, the Pool Villa is the right pick for families or friends travelling together, featuring two separate villas with a shared pool. Summon the bon vivant inside of you with the delectable fare. Cuisine Gallery showcases a potpourri of dishes from all over the world. While 135° East is your key for an authentic Japanese cuisine displaying the art of teppanyaki and the hibachi steakhouse. Sip favourite sunset cocktails at Water Bar with eclectic evening entertainment ranging from Maldivian evenings, to laser shows and disco nights under the starlit sky. Located on the water’s edge, instill a sense of calm and quietude at the Spa with signature product line Voya focusing on healing therapies and rituals. Explore rich underwater life on the house reefs of Maafushivaru and Lonubo, where fish teem and corals bloom colourfully. Dive with whale sharks and mantas in famed spots down south. Discover the epitome of Maldives – Maafushivaru. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, Hotwire and Agoda so you can book your Maafushivaru reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Maafushivaru Hotel South Ari Atoll
- Maafushivaru Tclub Hotel
- Maafushivaru Maldives/Southern Ari Atoll