My Husband & I have recently returned from 2 weeks of bliss at Maafushivaru and reluctantly we have to highly recommend it. I say reluctantly only because I would love to keep it all to ourselves, but it is only fair to the staff who work so tirelessly to make the island so beautiful and relaxing that we should tell them and the rest of the world what a wonderful job they are doing. We are Maldives veterans but can honestly say that this island ticked every one of our boxes and we will definitely go back. It is exclusively available to Kuoni and that may be why the standards were consistently high - with an emphasis on comfort and tranquility rather than luxury. In our opinion that is really what the Maldives are about - celebrating nature in comfort without the distraction of butler service.
Without exception, every member of staff we came across was unfailingly friendly, helpful and cheerful. It would be unfair to name names because that would mean leaving some of them out and I could not do that. I believe there are 150 staff to a maximum of 96 guests, but I don't know where they all were. There was obviously a lot of behind the scenes activity just to keep the island immaculate and everything as it should be for the guests. When we left we had an early start at 5.00am and were surprised to find the gardeners and maintenance men already working! The sun was up and so were they!
At no time did we ever feel the island was anything other than tranquil and spacious. There were plenty of corners for guests to settle in apart from their own deck at their bungalow. There were also boat excursions to the sister island of Lonubo (no charge) where the snorkelling was wonderful, and further boat trips to search for manta rays and whale sharks - both of which we were very privileged to find and snorkel with. It isn't guaranteed that you will see them as they are wild creatures but the guides are very experienced and know how to read the currents etc to predict where they may be. If you are interested in nature and the creatures of the ocean this is an experience you just should not miss.
Before we went there we had read negative reviews about the food but we thought that the chefs did an exceptional job of producing such varied meals 3 times a day. We intended trying the Tepanyaki restaurant but in fact never got round to it because we were more than happy with the buffet. Lots and lots of salads and I still managed to put on weight!
Maybe some people are just very hard to please.
Details of accommodation, spa, dive school etc have been well covered by other reviews so I will not touch on them here. Our particular interest was in the beautiful water and fishlife so I spent most of my time either diving (while my husband read books and relaxed), or snorkelling together on the abundant reefs. All of which exceeded our expectations.
So Maafushivaru gets full marks from us and we cannot recommend it highly enough. We will return the first chance we get.
Thank you to every member of staff who helped to make our stay so special.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Reached by a picturesque flight over the mysterious atolls of the Maldives, Maafushivaru is a quiet island knitted with lush flora surrounded by pure white sandy beaches and incredible turquoise lagoon. Next to the resort is the tiny desert island of Lonubo, exclusive to Maafushivaru guests. A visit to this beautiful island is a must. You can choose from daily visits for basking in the sun and snorkeling the beautiful reef, or ultimately book to stay overnight, an island just for you and your beloved, even if only for a night. Slumber at your choice of three distinct villas. Beach Villas are sited on postcard perfect beaches whilst the Water Villas are built on stilts over the Indian Ocean providing sunset and sunrise vistas that will be forever etched in your memory. For a fun filled holiday, the Pool Villa is the right pick for families or friends travelling together, featuring two separate villas with a shared pool. Summon the bon vivant inside of you with the delectable fare. Cuisine Gallery showcases a potpourri of dishes from all over the world. While 135° East is your key for an authentic Japanese cuisine displaying the art of teppanyaki and the hibachi steakhouse. Sip favourite sunset cocktails at Water Bar with eclectic evening entertainment ranging from Maldivian evenings, to laser shows and disco nights under the starlit sky. Located on the water’s edge, instill a sense of calm and quietude at the Spa with signature product line Voya focusing on healing therapies and rituals. Explore rich underwater life on the house reefs of Maafushivaru and Lonubo, where fish teem and corals bloom colourfully. Dive with whale sharks and mantas in famed spots down south. Discover the epitome of Maldives – Maafushivaru. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Agoda, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Priceline, Orbitz, Travelocity and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Maafushivaru reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Maafushivaru Hotel South Ari Atoll
- Maafushivaru Tclub Hotel
- Maafushivaru Maldives/Southern Ari Atoll